Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think they went in a good direction with the races...

2»

Comments

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by UWNVME
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

To be fair, if you've checked out the lore writing on the official website, it gives a fairly reasonable description of the Ebonheart's races. Basically, the main website seems to hint that the Ebonheart is strong when it comes to raw military power, but centuries of conflict have left plenty of distrust between the three races. So they have a major weakness in that they lack the unity and trust that the races of their rival factions have for each other.

And I agree with what you say about two lesser factions double-teaming the bigger one. People love to talk about it, but it never even happened in DAOC.

The point you make about the Ebonheart having a weakness of trust and unity is fine except.....how will that affect players? It won't I suspect. Will the distrust mean members of the Ebonheart can attack each other more ofter? How exactly will the weakness actually have any effect on the game?

This weakness is purely story based and will not have any effect in the game that I can tell...

It's not intended to have any effect on gameplay and is purely for storyline. Which is where the complaints came from in the first place, that the Ebonheart faction is inconsistent with TES lore.

Well I totally agree with you there then. It certainly does sound like they thought "3 factions, pick the 3 locations next to each otehr and make them a faction...ignore any hostility these locations have to other faction members....I mean 3 faction PvP is cool right? It worked in DAOC so it must work here...right? RIGHT?".

Sloppy.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

To be fair, if you've checked out the lore writing on the official website, it gives a fairly reasonable description of the Ebonheart's races. Basically, the main website seems to hint that the Ebonheart is strong when it comes to raw military power, but centuries of conflict have left plenty of distrust between the three races. So they have a major weakness in that they lack the unity and trust that the races of their rival factions have for each other.

And I agree with what you say about two lesser factions double-teaming the bigger one. People love to talk about it, but it never even happened in DAOC.

The point you make about the Ebonheart having a weakness of trust and unity is fine except.....how will that affect players? It won't I suspect. Will the distrust mean members of the Ebonheart can attack each other more ofter? How exactly will the weakness actually have any effect on the game?

This weakness is purely story based and will not have any effect in the game that I can tell...

It's not intended to have any effect on gameplay and is purely for storyline. Which is where the complaints came from in the first place, that the Ebonheart faction is inconsistent with TES lore.

forgive my ignorance as i don't follow lore.  but,  didn't they pick the 2E becuase there was no set in stone lore?  since the announcment i have been paying closer attention to books i read in Oblivian and Skyrim and not a lot is said about the time that TESO will/does take place.  so,  how can they break lore that has never been set in stone?  and is only mildly,  if ever referenced in an ES game.

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by muffins89

forgive my ignorance as i don't follow lore.  but,  didn't they pick the 2E becuase there was no set in stone lore?  since the announcment i have been paying closer attention to books i read in Oblivian and Skyrim and not a lot is said about the time that TESO will/does take place.  so,  how can they break lore that has never been set in stone?  and is only mildly,  if ever referenced in an ES game.

I should probably put my words into better context. I'm not saying I share the opinion that Ebonheart is inconsistent with established. I was just saying that it's a complaint other people have. But yes, you're right, the lore for TESO is all newly established. A lot of people just aren't convinced the Ebonheart faction is sensical because of the historical disdain that the three races have for one another. But like I said, this is acknowledged in the game's lore. Ebonheart plays the role of the "ragtag" faction you could say, they're reluctant allies. Compare that to the Aldmeri, where the two elf races have a history of good relations and the Queen has been friendly to the Khajiit.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I agree with OP. They seem to went in good direction and hopefully we will have balanced factions when it goes live.

About complaints on not being able to chose race and faction and lore inconsistencies. I like your RP enthusiasm, but you guys do realize if that's the main issue the game will have, then we can safely say that TESO will be the new MMO king.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    only thing that will make this game playable after the first 30 days is if Cyrodiil is a persistent warzone; no throne or towers/camp resets; the PvE and solo experience is the same boring gear shit grinding; the races/faction lock is nonsense; at least, the devs could have let us create an imperial character that could join any of the 3 factions