Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There will be another MMORPG that is more successful than WoW was at its peak

13»

Comments

• VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Problem is the developers arent making any new mmorpg's that are worthy. They simply just dont live up to anything. They are the basics of rpg's even new console rpgs offer more. As long as they are going that route, there will be no change. But i see a few games on the horizon that may help change some of that.

As a developer (not a game developer) I have to say that it is not 100% their fault that the games come out as they are.

The bigest problem is the greed the companies have; they sacrifice the quality for the sake of profits and this ie encountered in all areas of entertainment. Products are made to glitter and hide the rotten core, the outsourcing of the code and the fact that all the good developers that made them great are long gone (fired or left).

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Problem really is that WoW's success has to do heavily with the limited amount of MMos at the time. The fact there is extremely little competition at the time made it easy for a game like WoW succeed in which it would of likely been considered a flop today. It would of NEVER flied to have a game like wow having such a buggy state as it began. When it was released is key to what helped to let the game grow, adding in content (that, lets face it, was taking ideas from other guys) and other features that unfortunately most other games just don't ever get a chance to do.

Unless the MMo market crashes, I just can't see this happening again. Even if it did crash, its unlikely our expectations would of faultered all that much and we still would keep our rediculous standards. The only possible way I see a 'fluke' as you might want to call it like wow would be if a game came out that vastly changed the ways mmos worked. That game would not nessisarily be what would be the game to flare up (such as Everquest which was very successful but never got to wow's position) but its likely a chance that a new game could form in that genre that might be able to take the game to a place that more people enjoy and could help focus in all the players onto that one game, giving it a chance to grow in the new style it presents.

Honestly, unless a virutal reality comes to the MMO world, I just don't see much chance for such a thing to even happen.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    But is there still no game beating WOW? It still has the best PVE gameplay from all others.

• Shakes420Shakes420 Member Posts: 23
    Maybe if a huge influx of new customers comes online, something like if India all got wired and addicted to a mmorp, Warcraft can be matched.  There are just too many games live at the moment.  I believe WoW will remain the Cy Young, 511 wins, until then,
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Before WoW MMORPG's were a niche market, with a very limited number of titles. Today the MMORPG scene is flooded with titles many of which are free. The days of Sub to play as your only option are over as demonstrated by countless failed launches & F2P conversions. People still play WoW mostly because of time & money already heavily invested and its going to take a hell of a new offering to uproot those players.

WoW was a perfect storm, its not that it can't happen again its just that its highly unlikely and very unlikely to happen on the same scale again.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by ZigZags
    Im hoping for The Elder Scrolls Online having a shot. TES has a pretty big following and skyrim was a huge success. But i wont hold my breathe.

zero chance.  And putting hopes like that on the game are unfair anyway,

It's going to have to be something completely new and different.  No fantasy or sci fi MMO is likely to do it unless they have a ridiculously huge budget and crazy good design.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

2004 when WoW was released they had very little competition.

The MMO market is now saturated with even more to come. I find it hard to believe another MMO can have the same amount of growth or effect that WoW had.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Lonzo
    But is there still no game beating WOW? It still has the best PVE gameplay from all others.
    Its allmost like how to evade AWP in Counter Strike,its close to perfection.

Many people on this site most likely knows how long it takes to cast bubble again.

Thats why WoWs combat is so great,in combat you know exactly what is going on and what your opponent just did, and also their engine is great,your avatar knows what player wants.

Compared to Rift for example,Rift is just chaos or to SWTOR,my avatar is still asking what i want,even if i told him so 3 times allready.

Yes WoW is still king of the hill and quite hard to beat.

I dont like WoW ,but Their combat is great.

Let's internet

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    My sig, for a while, LA killed their game=why WoW is winning.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Quizzical

But with MMORPG subscription numbers, the situation is far more volatile than you think, for one reason:  marketing.  WoW has surely spent more on marketing than any other MMORPG in the last decade, at least in the United States.....

I do not play wow because of marketing. Guess nobody does. I play it exclusively because it is fun, it is great. I know this, is not their marketing staff telling me this. Same for Swtor (up to month or so before release i was not even reading any articles, intense marketing was not getting close), Rift, GW2, .... Nobody PLAY for marketing. But for sure marketing IS important to let people now "hey, i'm here, you can do this and that". If nobody know some game was released, hardly there will be many that will play.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by daltanious

But with MMORPG subscription numbers, the situation is far more volatile than you think, for one reason:  marketing.  WoW has surely spent more on marketing than any other MMORPG in the last decade, at least in the United States.....

I do not play wow because of marketing. Guess nobody does. I play it exclusively because it is fun, it is great. I know this, is not their marketing staff telling me this. Same for Swtor (up to month or so before release i was not even reading any articles, intense marketing was not getting close), Rift, GW2, .... Nobody PLAY for marketing. But for sure marketing IS important to let people now "hey, i'm here, you can do this and that". If nobody know some game was released, hardly there will be many that will play.

You just claimed marketing has no effect on you. Get out lol

Marketing affected you somehow, whether through your friends, your family or previous incarnations of Warcraft. Don't kid yourself.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Lienhart
    Originally posted by daltanious

You just claimed marketing has no effect on you. Get out lol

Marketing affected you somehow, whether through your friends, your family or previous incarnations of Warcraft. Don't kid yourself.

Sure you know better then myself what I think. Whatever makes you happy.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I agree that we will see another game that becomes as successful if not more than WoW. But the genre has to evolve before that happens. The genre hasn't evolved since WoW, or argueably EverQuest. That was there success. 

So long as we keep getting games that are similar to WoW in mechanics and concept we won't see the next big thing. Its starting to progress a little, with things like PS2 and ArcheAge, WWZ etc. But it certainly is taking its time. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Vunak23

I agree that we will see another game that becomes as successful if not more than WoW. But the genre has to evolve before that happens. The genre hasn't evolved since WoW, or argueably EverQuest. That was there success. 

So long as we keep getting games that are similar to WoW in mechanics and concept we won't see the next big thing. Its starting to progress a little, with things like PS2 and ArcheAge, WWZ etc. But it certainly is taking its time. 

They have evolved but there has been no revolutional thought in the MMO area. I don't tink there will be bcause we are still limited by computing power - a big true would would take a huge computer and software to actually make the world believable (this is why scientific evolution models run on super-computers for weeks/months on end - too many calculations to do).

I think this is the limiting factor more than anything else.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    At last someone who stated the things like they are!!, another good comparison would be CocaCola, before that there was no drinks like that one but once that was released the "clones" came after, the people didnt cared if the others were tastier but still they preffered the "first one" because it came with innovation, such thing of course happens with everything and in time those "primarchs" will loose power eventually and will be just part of the history, but well there is always people that gets amazed easely and other who doesnt. My best tip will be, go with Your flow, support the things you like to, but NEVER idolatrate.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

I don't think there will be another "WoW"  in the sense that it managed to grab 50% of the market. It's unlikely there will be a new "king" that nobody can touch, it's completely irrelevant how many play or how much money is made because that is relativistic, in 20 years there might be a billion MMO gamers where getting 10 million is as easy as getting 100k today.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

The Devs agree with you, that is why all AAA mmos that are being created are WoW-like themeparks.

This /

I feel that the ones trying to match WoW's success are just cranking out a product without trying to improve on it. I am one of those that believes that WoW will remain the all time king.

The reason I believe this is because in WoW's heyday there wasn't a lot of competition. Now, everyone is making mmo's and I think it will now be impossible to beat WoW.