Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The best Bow and Arrow class of any MMORPG?

2»

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride San''doria, WIPosts: 3,988Member

I liked the Archer/scout classes in Dark Age of Camelot. One of the few games in which they didn't just feel/play out like a caster with a bunch of instant cast abilities.

Painful to level alone, but in groups and PvP they were fantastic to have around.

• versulasversulas None of your damn business, WAPosts: 286Member Uncommon
    DAoC archer classes could perma stealth which was cool. They also had poison arrows (in the very beginning and then again after like the 4th expansion...) which added another element. At one point midguard hunters could stealth and send their pet to engage the enemy while still remaining in stealth, which was cheap, but still fun as hell.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Champaign, ILPosts: 1,556Member Uncommon
    Good thread.  I have not found the perfect bow class yet.

• RimmersmanRimmersman MonacoPosts: 885Member
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

I play a ranger/bowman in almost every game and personally, I enjoy them in LOTRO and Vanguard the best.

Yeah i would go with those two as well especially Vanguards ranger, think its the most realistic ranger ive played.

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,058Member Uncommon
    Would have to be Asherons Call for me.  The first time I was able to perch atop the walls at Ft. Teth and kill an Umbris Shadow (after 10 mins of combat) or successfully get to the bottom of Olthoi Chasm to perch atop the giant mushroom and kill the Olthoi Noble that spawned.  It had a reset timer of about 30 mins but I would spend hours on end down there waiting for it to respwn. Back i nthe early days Pre-Aerlithe isle, Nobles and Umbris shadows were loot pinatas.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ThorkuneThorkune Eastern, KYPosts: 1,830Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    I play a ranger/bowman in almost every game and personally, I enjoy them in LOTRO and Vanguard the best.

I agree with these choices as well.

And...I like the Saboteur build in Rift also.

The sab was my first build I played in Rift and I loved it. My final build was a marksman, however.

The sad thing is that I love ranger-type classes but hate pets, which always seem to be attached to the class. 

I too hate pets. But, with Rift ranged builds, you aren't forced to use them. I didn't even put the option in my toolbar.

• jeeshadowjeeshadow Garland, TXPosts: 81Member

Rift archers were ok.  They do get props for all the variety they've added to the class.

Can someone explain to me what makes the Vanguard archer so enjoyable and realistic?  I've never tried that MMO.

• RimmersmanRimmersman MonacoPosts: 885Member
    Originally posted by jeeshadow

Rift archers were ok.  They do get props for all the variety they've added to the class. Can someone explain to me what makes the Vanguard archer so enjoyable and realistic?  I've never tried that MMO.

You can do better than that, download the game for free and make a ranger. Vanguard is F2P now.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,672Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by jeeshadow

Rift archers were ok.  They do get props for all the variety they've added to the class.

Can someone explain to me what makes the Vanguard archer so enjoyable and realistic?  I've never tried that MMO.

You can do better than that, download the game for free and make a ranger. Vanguard is F2P now.

I'll second that. Try it out and see what you think.  Foraging for arrow supplies, choosing between damage or distance based on your opponents, stealth and the usual ranger skills... it really is a fun class to play.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community Manager Queens, NYPosts: 5,724Administrator Uncommon
    Grats jeeshadow! Your thread is in this week's spotlight! ;)

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager
    Twitter: @eMikeB

• AkulasAkulas GoldcoastPosts: 1,619Member Uncommon
    The archer / rogue hybrid which include high speed, high crit, dodge tanking cripple effects and maybe traps.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• idgaradidgarad NOwhere, MNPosts: 174Member

I'll throw in an exotic answer for fun: Eve Online's Maelstrom Artillery fitted ship. While the analog is difficult to put into sci-fi terms Eve Online does in fact have paralells. There are in fact plenty of Bow and Arrow analog ships but Minmatar ships and Gallente (2 races in the game) use ammo. Artillery ships are usually flown as the Kiting style of bow and arrow play style.

Why is the the best? To statisfy the analog between genres it has the most options for play style as ranged. While any ship really would be the "Bow and Arrow" class (since we don't actually have ramming ships for melee.... yet....) The Artie fits the analog compared to just a typical ranged weapon users. You can kite, evasion tank in smaller ships, and you even get pets in the form of drones.

• TheeLordTheeLord Northbrook, ILPosts: 129Member
    Definitely for me the greenkin archer from Warhammer online.. can't remember its name right now..

Founder and Lead developer of Factions. The complete fantasy sandbox survival MMO.
    Factions indiedb Page (most up to date info) | Factions Website

2»