Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition launches WED 11/28 - please post impressions!!!!!

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

I can't find a lick of feedback or initial impressions on Baldurs Gate Enhanced which launched this afternoon. Someone please let us know if it's worth the $20.

Launch trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86NLGVQ6Iaw

EDIT: Oh man my mistake. I was so excited I was off by a day. It releases Wed at 3PM EST (1PM MST).

Countdown clock:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=BG%3AEE+Release&iso=20121128T13&p1=80

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    downloading now,m will let ya know soon

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Aw man! I'm stuck in a hotel all week attending a class. I've been looking forward to checking that out.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm going to wait for the Android version but I'm excited to play! Thank you for the news OP!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    What exactly did they enhance here? I see the animations are still fresh from the 90's.
  • atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234
    Do my eyes deceive me or do i spy a blatant money grab?
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    What exactly did they enhance here? I see the animations are still fresh from the 90's.

Enhanced doesn't always mean better graphics! :)

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    waiting on the ipad version
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I just have the trailer to base my assumptions from. Anyway, after seeing the feature list, I'm going to wait for an Android release...and a lower price. $10-$15 would be ok for me.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Someone must have played through a few hours today already. Don't make me impulse buy it! I've done it before and I'll do it again!!!

I just have the trailer to base my assumptions from. Anyway, after seeing the feature list, I'm going to wait for an Android release...and a lower price. $10-$15 would be ok for me.

It's $20 for PC and $10 for Ipad/Android - though mobile launch is delayed.

Originally posted by Nevulus
    waiting on the ipad version

Ya. To me this something I will play when I'm away from my home computer. Something like a trip or away from the internet. 

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

I'll be finding out tonight when I get out of work.  20 bucks isn't that bad.  It's Baldur's Gate.  For someone who hasn't played the original in ages (if at all), once you get past the graphics, you find a great RPG.

Will also help me sorta lament that there really aren't good DnD RPG's anymore.  MOTB, while having some flawed mechanics was one of the best stories in a long time for an RPG.  Such a rich world to draw from.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Wish I hadn't wasted my money on it. Preordered way back when it first became available. Find out it is being pushed back, to fix some things, and make the game better.  So wasn't too upset.  Got preload email on 26th.  Spend most of that day and following day trying to finish the downloading. Not happy at all with them so far now.  Couldn't get to play on launch day, too much work.  So I tried to start it up, about 2 hours ago. 100mb patch needed.  That takes well over 1 hour finish. Ok all done. Click play button. Nothing happens.

So I spend about 30 mins or so browsing their forums.  Just post after post after post of problems. Tried some of the "suggestions" for getting it to work.  Still no good, so I have a 20 dollar piece of software that doesn't work currently. Though according to some people posting on their forums. I should take comfort in the fact that other games also have problems.

So in short. This company will shortly be getting an email from me. Requesting information on how to obtain a refund. Also I will note to never purchase anything they have a hand in. Which is a shame because if this turned out well, was looking forward to their BG2:EE release. IMHO right now taking a twenty out of my wallet and setting it on fire, would be a better use of it then giving it to this company.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• k44mosk44mos Member Posts: 22

To sum it up - It sucks!

They managed to fail with a product they couldn't have failed with.

Besides the obvious problems, they capped the game at 30fps. Who the frack played BG at 30 fps? Please die.

They haven't actually enhanced anything.

Do not spend your money on this crappy "redeployed product".

You are better off with installing both BG games, getting Big World (best thing that came out after BG) and enjoy an incredible experience.

My BG folder got to 18 gigs with the default options when installing Big World.

A lot of awesome content, both games linked together (you will play through both games without importing/exporting) and widescreen with the game that is not capped at 30 fps. It will not take 5 minutes for your party to go through the market.

Ooo. And BG 1 runs on BG 2's engine.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    The graphics look the same to me and i see no enhancements.Who are they fooling?
    Originally posted by Zefire
    The graphics look the same to me and i see no enhancements.Who are they fooling?

Posted this earlier. BGEE

I'm not sure why folks think "enhanced" is better graphics in all cases. 

edit:sp

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Hmm looks like a decent way to spend only 20 bucks

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    It seems like you will get far more installing normal version and getting some mods. The only reason to get BG EE is if you want to use it on ipad or android.
    Originally posted by Heafstagg
    Hmm looks like a decent way to spend only 20 bucks

If you have a mobile device it will be $9.99. I plan on getting one of these for my Android so the gaming is even easier. I also play Order & Chaos and the controller will help with that also!

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Posted this earlier. BGEE

I'm not sure why folks think "enhanced" is better graphics in all cases. 

edit:sp

People are not saying that it's a fail product because of it's graphics.  People might be simplely stating that the developer never put anthing to truely enhance the game.  Adding a few characters and a few quests does not enhance that game.... well it might at a very minor scale.  With their new features it is trivial to what the game already possesses.  If all they did was throw in a few more characters and a few side quests then why bother when you can get the original game at a mere fraction of the price at like GOG.com?  With Atari in the picture I don't doubt for a second that this could simpely be a resale of an already made game and trying to make a quick buck.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

It looks good although maybe still a little dated for a computer game. I will definately pick this up from Google Play when it releases for Android however. I think at this point in time while it will be absolutely amazing on a tablet it will be sort of 'meh' on a PC.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

So far my experience with BG:EE has been positive. I like the tweaks to the GUI and the native wide screen monitor support is much appreciated.

I never beat BG (never even really came close) but now I think I'll give it a fair shake. I bought the enhanced edition because I didn't want to be bothered with searching for mods to improve it, and I mainly wanted my native resolution to be supported. So I'm a happy camper :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

So far my experience with BG:EE has been positive. I like the tweaks to the GUI and the native wide screen monitor support is much appreciated.

I never beat BG (never even really came close) but now I think I'll give it a fair shake. I bought the enhanced edition because I didn't want to be bothered with searching for mods to improve it, and I mainly wanted my native resolution to be supported. So I'm a happy camper :)

I'm kind of in the same fram of mind.

What they did, beside tweak a bit of the interface and add some characters with their own stories, is replace the cut scenes with more animated scenes that are less likely to age badly.

I "think" some of the characters seem "smoother" but only by a little bit if that is the case. Otherwise it's me comparing it to planescape which I have also been playing.

They also added some things to the portraits idicating if they are attacking or not and changed the color the your party's "footprints" so that you can see who is going to be "where" in your formation.

That's' all I've noticed so far. Still, I'm enjoying myself and I think I'll keep one of the new characters through the journey.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    I will give them credit for being quick with the refund. Not sure if it's because I paid with PayPal.  Still give them credit for getting it done within 48 hours of my email.  It's a shame though.  Oh well I'll just reinstall it via disc and use EasyTutu mod probably.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Good point and one that has to be considered taking into account all the hype.