Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Heroic Space Missions in v1.6 Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Star Wars: The Old Republic blog has been updated with a new post that details some of the forthcoming heroic space missions in v1.6. Lead Designer Michael Backus relays the information that these new missions will be 'incredibly challenging' for high level players.

These missions will be repeatable, incredibly challenging, and reward players who enjoy the current Space Missions. Our goal is to make these missions worthy of the most skilled players, and completing them, along with their Bonus Objectives, should test the greatest pilots. To help in this endeavor, players will also be able to get new upgrades for their ship, attainable through various means like trade skills and specialty vendors. The rewards for these missions will also be increased, and hopefully provide new motivations for players who want to improve their gear for use in Flashpoints and Operations.

Read the full post on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I thought they were going to replace the space-on-rails system.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• RilmanRilman Member CommonPosts: 35
    No one cares, we've played the 'single player' part and the rest sucks balls, now give it a break with the SWTOR, even if they are paying you to constnatly harp on about this fail, please.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Zekiah

damn and i hoped it would finaly become MP =)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

That's exactly what people imagined almost two decades ago when they played X-Wing.

A rail shooter future where you can't steer your ship anymore

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    The space missions were fun to an extent. There just weren't enough of them. Doing the same few daily missions every day got old fast.  I was more hoping they would add new and more varied missions throughout the level ranges than just add a few new ones at level 50.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Originally posted by Thane

damn and i hoped it would finaly become MP =)

Multiplayer space-on-rails, last one in WINS! image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Nope, not only are they not going to replace it, they are adding to it.  This is something my kids had fun with 20 years ago in the arcade.  It has no place in a MMO, let alone a AAA MMO. 

Pretty much tells you what a bunch of imbeciles they have for developers in this game.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Why would you think that? That doesn't make any more sense than the people who thought SWToR was going to be SWG2.

** edit **
    The space missions are one of the few things that people actually like about the game. Why wouldn't they add to it?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

Wait a minute! A missile AND torpedo counter that will literally count the remaining ammunition!?

This is just too good to be true!

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I thought that was the case too, I read somewhere they were going to make SWToR's space game more like Freelancer, maybe that was just wishful thinking.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Nothing like doubling down on a bad idea.....
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Why would you think that? That doesn't make any more sense than the people who thought SWToR was going to be SWG2.

** edit **
    The space missions are one of the few things that people actually like about the game. Why wouldn't they add to it?

People actually like Star Wars on rails eh?

God help us...

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Nope, not only are they not going to replace it, they are adding to it.  This is something my kids had fun with 20 years ago in the arcade.  It has no place in a MMO, let alone a AAA MMO. 

Pretty much tells you what a bunch of imbeciles they have for developers in this game.

Agreed.

Star Wars on rails is a slap in the face to fans of the franchise. It just boggles my mind how it even made it to the idea board.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

They definitely wasted resources adding new on rails missions that no one cares about.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

** edit **

God help us...

Reasons to play SW;TOR are not because of the space game, so i have no idea where they get the idea that it in any way influences players decisions to stay with the game or not,  adding to it, imo, is just a waste of time and resources that would have been better spent on putting something into the game that meant something, i'd rather they used the resources to increase armour set variations, new weapon models, anything really, other than 'more space' which imo, is utterly pointless anyway. image

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

del

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

I don't understand....since when was Star Wars ever a free fly system....hell even in the movies they were on rails....I don't see what everyone's beef is?!

If they allowed free fly, it'll just be a bunch of people flying around aimless....

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Zekiah I thought they were going to replace the space-on-rails system.
    Why would you think that? That doesn't make any more sense than the people who thought SWToR was going to be SWG2. ** edit ** The space missions are one of the few things that people actually like about the game. Why wouldn't they add to it?  

God help us...

The last time they published something related to players, it was five hundred thousand people. That seems like a good indicator that at least some of those people liked the space game. Certainly more people like the space game than post here on MMORPG.com.

But again, why would anyone expect or even suspect that EA would change the space game from what it is?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I must have been around 10 years old....

I remember going to Software Boutique or some like-minded store to pick out a computer game. It was a space game. The back of the box looked cool! It showed some starship that was trying to evade several other fighters via barrel-roll. I picked it out and my dad bought it.

The ride home was intense. I couldn't wait to install it on my Pentium 2 (just came out).

I got home, ran the game, selected my ship, and started the mission! I found that I had little control over my ship. It was a space-on-rails fighter. Even at 10 years old, I was like, "WHAT THE **** is this ****!?!?!?"

"20 years pass"

I install SWTOR. I run a space mission....        I felt like I was that 10 year old boy again....

Terrible game.

Originally posted by Zekiah I thought they were going to replace the space-on-rails system.
    Why would you think that? That doesn't make any more sense than the people who thought SWToR was going to be SWG2. ** edit ** The space missions are one of the few things that people actually like about the game. Why wouldn't they add to it?  

God help us...

The last time they published something related to players, it was five hundred thousand people. That seems like a good indicator that at least some of those people liked the space game. Certainly more people like the space game than post here on MMORPG.com.

But again, why would anyone expect or even suspect that EA would change the space game from what it is?

Because space-on-rails doesn't belong in a Star Wars MMO, it belongs in Firefox. It's a disgrace and a slap in the face to Star Wars fans.

If you like it, good for you. I happen to find it detestable and a disgrace.

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    I would like to see the idiot who decided to make space on rails, together with the idiots that designed it, to go clean the shoes of the X-Wing and Freespace II designers for a change....Then and only then would everyone realize the industry has learned anything if nothing at all!

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

space on rails is still a failure, no matter how you look at it.  New mission who cares, give us JTL type of space combat and I might sub up, otherwise it is a  waste of time. 

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Its amazing the way the developers of SWTOR seem to be so out of touch with the potential player base (not the people still stuck in an abusive relationship with this game "it's not so bad, oh thank you for more of this Nintendo 64 rail shooter!"). The devs are very dumb, very stubborn, or some combination of the two.

This is classic EA: Game design and customer service in a vacuum.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    This stuff belongs in an arcade cabinet, not an mmo.
  • ext1ext1 Member Posts: 98

I can't wait!