Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Rift: Storm Legion Review In Progress Part 3

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We are working our way to our final review of the first Rift expansion, Storm Legion. We offer our third installment of our Review in Progress series, this time focusing bugs, customer service, dungeons and more. See what you think before leaving a comment or two.

I'm continually impressed by the new dungeons in Storm Legion.  This week I had a chance to play through Storm Breaker Protocol a number of times.  All of these were with pick up groups and not all of them were successful.  While on first glance failing to complete a dungeon might seem like a bad thing, but honestly I'm happy that the dungeons are difficult enough that the risk of failure actually exists.  With the last batch of 50 experts so out geared it is nice to finally step back into a dungeon and know that if not everyone pulls their weight, you may not succeed.  Storm Breaker Protocol is also the first time that we see our defiant occupy a vehicle mode for a dungeon.  You fight the first two bosses in this instance in a Gundam mode and then proceed to fight the next two bosses robotic armor free.  Each of the bosses is more than just a tank and spank with the last boss providing multiple tasks for the tank.  I was required to cleanse myself, purge the boss, and control adds while the DPS broke crystals. I'm always pleased to be engaged rather than just spamming the boss for threat.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Rift: Storm Legion Review in Progress Part 3.

Not Even Meridian is Safe

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

first*

I'm back playing Rift, level 41 so not into SL yet but loving it so far. Good fair review

Peace

Lascer

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52
    I find it disappointing that in such reviews, apart from a certain blitz game, major websites can't seem to find people to consult with and report on the endgame state of things which for a game such as rift is a big selling point. For example rifts new raid tier is so far rather simple and only halted by the lack of gear or lack of guilds that have 20 fully dedicated ppl to acquire that lvl60 expert dungeon gear fast enough to run them efficiently to have those raids fully cleared by now (granted the last boss Crucia isnt killable yet - waiting on hotfix) . Additionally due to the nature of those raids (both Frozen Tempest  20man and Triumph of the Dragon Queen 10man) as entry level those will be fairly soon the kind of raids that will be used/played by casual players and by extension a heavy interest point for all, not just the 1% hardcore crowd such as my self
  • Azuri21Azuri21 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Fairly large hotfix yesterday and upcoming changes for the warrior outcry in 2.1

A post regarding CS tickets being slow atm is due "This quest is broken" being reported infinite amount of times by multiple players which they claim will be fixed shortly. Not making excuses for Trion but this was their answer to the noticeable increase in ticket response time.

Good review none the less.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

I feel like this is a fair review overall however has some weaknesses in the arguments.  For example yes the bugs are a pain, however saying they should have all been fix by now is out of line.  First very few beta testers actually beta the game; these people normally just play the game to play the game.  Second look at the time of the year.  Last week was thanksgiving and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the customer service people have called off or no showed.  It is what it is people need to live with it, had the game release a month ago I would agree that the bugs should have been fixed.

I also do not feel that the argument over the queue times for LFD is fair either.  There are a lot of new mechanics with these bosses that if you ignore you will die.  So more people are looking for pre-made groups and are not using LFD.  Also like myself as a healer I would rather go with 3 other guild members and pug the last spot because what you often get is people who are drama queens in LFD.  For example the first SL instance was the first one myself and 3 other guildmates joined.  The Support person right off the bat started with how can you not know this, why didn’t you do this instance sooner.  We didn’t even make a pull and we fully told him that we were learning the place.  After about 30 minutes of his drama we quit.  We don’t mind wiping and learning at this phase we are enjoying learning new content. 

All and All a fair review.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    I am loving Rift and especially Dimensions. I rolled alts on other shards so I could go check out what incredible things players have imagined, and have been definitely impressed.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

There is going to be bugs with any addition to a game of this size and the holiday slap bang in the middle has definitely not helped. One thing is for sure though everything will get fixed (lots already have in the hotfixes) unlike other games where you wait months for fixes or even recognition there is a problem.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I have only run into 1 or 2 small bugs so far and I have reported them.  Overall it seems like a very stable release and I'm sure Trion will be quick to squash the bigger bugs popping up.  They have an exceptional track record in that regard, but I imagine they are a little overwhelmed at the moment.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Dimensions are a godsend in this game. The power of player made content takes rift into sandbox territory. I have 7 or 8 favorite dimensions so far. They range from amazing homes to taverns, ruins, forests, and some challenging jumping puzzles. All created by our community. I am working on a massive treehouse for my dimension. I love the fact that dimension items can be crafted by players. And i love that the materials needed to craft dimension items are spread across all continents and zones.

People try to downplay dimensions, but the fact is they are a game changer.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    This was one of the best MMO's I ever played. Reading all these posts makes me itch to go back.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    so guys - as EU player - which server has best dimensions? i think of coming back to it and starting from scratch for the heck of it - please share which server you think has best dimensions.

Just my 2 cents...

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Which server has the best dimensions? Impossible to say right now. Ive barely seen a tenth of the more active dimensions just on my server let alone other servers. Probably 6 months to a year, we will have a good idea of the most active dimension servers are. I play on us faeblight and there is no shortage of interesting dimensions to visit.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Well, problem with lack of support I would say is logical consequence of more bugs. So i would not count this as two big problems. Anyway have not yet purchased expansion because I'm currently playing other game(s) but for sure will in very near future. I just hope Trion lives up to standards themselves set with original Rift release. Was one of best bugless releases ever, it felt like is out for at least year or two if I compare to many other games from past.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Was at the store today and saw Rift Storm legion on the shelves, was going to buy it until I saw the price, $50 plus tax, no thanks.  Way to overprice your game.
  • AshrealAshreal Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Was at the store today and saw Rift Storm legion on the shelves, was going to buy it until I saw the price, $50 plus tax, no thanks.  Way to overprice your game.

You could always play the freebie version

Ashreal D'Synn - Shadowlover & Death's handmaiden