Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the Aimbot be the end of PS2, just like APB or will Sony step up?

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    PS2 ended itself long before aimbot. It ended itself when Sony announced it.  Horrible gameplay is horrible, no need to go into detail when one can tell from simply playing for an hour.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

to claim that a company doesnt do anythin about hackers is just dumb. the problem is that its a fps-f2p game. just show me a f2p game which is not full of hackers. if u bann someone, he will just make a new account and start again.in rpgs with pve content u can avoid the hackers by goin with friends to inis and stuff but in fps games with pvp as the only content its ofc impossible to avoid them.

but still i dont think that its as bad as some ppl say. u should always keep in mind that ppl with low fps-experience would call every skilled fps-gamer a hacker because he/she doesnt know better. i, for example, have played a few fps-games in my "gaming-life" yet. i didnt know how skilled ppl can be in a fps. so when i played this for the first time and seen ppl destroyin newby-squads in 2men groups, i also thought they were all hackers. but then i have watched some live-streams on twitch.tv where some good fps-gamers pwned grps of ppl.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by khartokhar3

to claim that a company doesnt do anythin about hackers is just dumb. the problem is that its a fps-f2p game. just show me a f2p game which is not full of hackers. if u bann someone, he will just make a new account and start again.in rpgs with pve content u can avoid the hackers by goin with friends to inis and stuff but in fps games with pvp as the only content its ofc impossible to avoid them.

but still i dont think that its as bad as some ppl say. u should always keep in mind that ppl with low fps-experience would call every skilled fps-gamer a hacker because he/she doesnt know better. i, for example, have played a few fps-games in my "gaming-life" yet. i didnt know how skilled ppl can be in a fps. so when i played this for the first time and seen ppl destroyin newby-squads in 2men groups, i also thought they were all hackers. but then i have watched some live-streams on twitch.tv where some good fps-gamers pwned grps of ppl.

Horrible logic, actually in my long FPS career, I can't name one company who has worked hard at stopping hacks other than Punkbuster in its prime... Unfortunately punkbuster is a week only solution. So when not on the payroll, they quit protecting, as they need to update constantly in the cat and mouse game.

As seen in BF2...

The hacking has increased, because it has NOT been policed.. if players actually had fear aof losing their accounts, they'd stop....

Problem is... sometimes you wonder who is behind the hacks and aimbots.. why are websites that sell them still operating, when violating the terms and services.. domains today can be seized and owned to stop the violation of law..

But they exist...

Also, games sell because hacks are available, is this why they are not policed? More money in selling to hackers?

Also network issues.... Hack prevention takes up resources.. a game will drop it on the fly, such as APB did as developting it hurt their network..

Ban waves are indeed fail... The fact there is no one just banning people on the spot, means no one cares, no one is looking.. just at the bank account numbers.

And yes, some people cry hacks..

1. Its a mind game.. its a tactic, that I have used for years in competition

2. Some small percentage don't see the 2nd guy shooting them or feel wierd network effects.

3. Any good skilled FPS player with hand eye coordination, can spot a aimbotter in seconds... First he will assume, then he will verify doing many known tricks.

A. testing wall hacks by moving when spotting on minimaps to watch movement.

B. strafing from a wall in special ways to see if and when hit.

C. Using 2 players in a strafing position to see him hit both players within .x seconds from +90 degree angles.

many more i wont disclose :D

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

how do you guys know that its aimbot for sure? maybe you just happen to meet a players that is that good?

i mean i wont be afraid to say my current kill death is around 80 kills and 170 deaths ( be it from friendly fire etc )

yes some occasion it would look like the other player is that good to 1 shot me while i was in the air as a light infantry, but i always thought i just suck at FPS anyway so i never even think that there was an Aimbot in this game

plus, how do you use aimbot in an MMO anyway? anyone care to explain? ( not that i want to use it, but im just curious how did they manage to hack the SOE database? )

So What Now?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Stopping hacks is really a serious problem for any game today, particularly FPS games.

It could in fact ruin the entire genre.

Yes, SOE should be doing something and I am sure they are trying but things like this is a lot harder to stop than the bots we see in most MMOs.

What really should be done is that the large FPS making companies should work together to stop this, or they might go down all of them.

The option is that all FPS games might only be made for consoles in the future since it is a lot easier to stop hacking there, it would be a huge shame but if stopping stuff like this on PC becomes too hard the alternative would be no more FPS games.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by TweFoju

how do you guys know that its aimbot for sure? maybe you just happen to meet a players that is that good?

i mean i wont be afraid to say my current kill death is around 80 kills and 170 deaths ( be it from friendly fire etc )

yes some occasion it would look like the other player is that good to 1 shot me while i was in the air as a light infantry, but i always thought i just suck at FPS anyway so i never even think that there was an Aimbot in this game

plus, how do you use aimbot in an MMO anyway? anyone care to explain? ( not that i want to use it, but im just curious how did they manage to hack the SOE database? )

hacking is done thru the 3d graphics library of the operating system.. the hacking itself.. making a aimbot is relatively simple.. the complexity is not to get caught... they do this thru by trying to hide their code in memory of the computer by using various tricks and tactics...

What is able to be achieved is dependent on the game technology and how much is server side based and how much is client side based...

In short, you can't really make your character invincible or have unlimited ammo, but you may be able to make him faster. you will be able to read where players are and show them thru the walls by editing the graphics calls since this stuff is done on the client side and the positions of other players are obtained in the network packets being sent from server to client, and you can write code to center on this player and auto shoot...

Its easy to spot hackers, because many abuse their hacks... Most are kids who have no ability to manipulate the keyboard and mouse and never will be able to.. so they cheat

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by grounnn
    Originally posted by Loke666

Stopping hacks is really a serious problem for any game today, particularly FPS games.

Yes, SOE should be doing something and I am sure they are trying but things like this is a lot harder to stop than the bots we see in most MMOs.

What really should be done is that the large FPS making companies should work together to stop this, or they might go down all of them.

The option is that all FPS games might only be made for consoles in the future since it is a lot easier to stop hacking there, it would be a huge shame but if stopping stuff like this on PC becomes too hard the alternative would be no more FPS games.

There's a very simple way to remove hackers. At least it is for people in the U.S., Hacking is against the law. So I'm pretty sure if little Timmy is caught hacking, their parents are going to be pissed when they're sent a summons notice to court because their child wants to cheat in a video game. Hacking has a very hefty monitary fine, and could also lead being barred from using a computer. These laws exsist. Why don't they press charges? They have the ability to track these players through their IP and MAC addresses, and through their ISP's as well.

prosecuting them would cost the company money.  that's why.

Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by grounnn
    Originally posted by Loke666

There's a very simple way to remove hackers. At least it is for people in the U.S., Hacking is against the law. So I'm pretty sure if little Timmy is caught hacking, their parents are going to be pissed when they're sent a summons notice to court because their child wants to cheat in a video game. Hacking has a very hefty monitary fine, and could also lead being barred from using a computer. These laws exsist. Why don't they press charges? They have the ability to track these players through their IP and MAC addresses, and through their ISP's as well.

prosecuting them would cost the company money.  that's why.

law aint that simple.. who is using the computer? who is using the network? case closed, but no company would do this, it would kill their reputation

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

I am always confused when a Light Infantry or Heavy Infantry can take me out from several hundred meters away with only several rounds. However, I don't think aimbot is as abundant is people think.

If anything, I'd say some people that use aircraft are the ones aimbotting.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    Originally posted by Bakkoda24

I am always confused when a Light Infantry or Heavy Infantry can take me out from several hundred meters away with only several rounds. However, I don't think aimbot is as abundant is people think.

If anything, I'd say some people that use aircraft are the ones aimbotting.

agree, aircraft is one of the hardest control means in this game, no matter how many times i tried, i hardly kill any land objects when i was using an aircraft, hell, even doing combats in the air vs another aircraft is hard enough.. lol

So What Now?

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Most PS2 hacks are simple memory changes and exploiting of the way the netcode handles position tracking while "lagging".

While aimbotting is a bigger beast and would require extensive money investment because you need to get to know the hacks, create and maintane a tracking list and include an anti-hack software which may costs you way more to maintane, not speaking of the additional issues such software causes when it needs to run on the client pc.

- These intial mentioned "hacks" could be easely shut down with proper memory protection and server side sanity checks. It's actually a slack job to not have these blocked today.

Uses try to slow or acclerate their packet speed by packet modification, a proper server should just drop these and commit only on these who pass regular checks. This would stop speed hacks which let people disappear (server waiting for position packet) and shooting at double rate (twice as many packets send as in normal rate). Add a sanity check to position and coordinate changes and people can't "jump" 50 meter in 1 second or disappear because they want to make the server believe their position is not where they are).

This would improve the game quality a lot.

And Aimbots are not as gamebraking as invisible people, or short time unkillable guys (they die with a 10 second delay) due to netpacket and memory hacking.

It may suck that a guy knows you sit there in the corner hiding, but PS2 ins't a 5vs5 team shooter. Your dead doesn't mean much alone. It's even questionable he is able to kill anyone with an aimbot, most of the time there are just too many people also shooting and seeing him :)

Further an Aimbot doesn ot help with the spread, it merely points the initial aim. So people just blindly firring the full clip will not hit much more than anyone else doing it.

I'd wager that i consider anyone worth his salt is able to accurately aim at you.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Phlacc

Riiiiight, a big company like Sony is gonna just sit back and do nothing, use your head man. I'm sure they will, IF, there is infact cheating going on.

I can't even wrap my head around you saying that Sony will just do nothing. Man, really??

sorry to tell you dude, but there have been bigger fish eaten by aimbots already.

the question was not if they WILL try to do something, the question is if they CAN do something about it

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Still yet to see one. Been accused a few times my self because i have a decent k/d with alot of kills. You do realise pushing right mouse button makes you aim incredibly more accurate? To the point 90% of my kills are headshots at close to medium range.

While I'm sure there are a few 'hackers'  If your good, a hacker is just a terrible baddie that needs some pain in the ass program to even be on a sub even keel with someone with decent skill. Shit, I've most likley toasted a few and been none the wiser.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    havent touched an multiplayer fps game since half life,  i dont regret one bit and im happier this way.  Cheating will kill FPS multiplayer computer games. only a matter of time.
  • GeminivGeminiv Member UncommonPosts: 15

About 90% sure I’ve just seem my first hacker today had the drop on a heavy from behind and in my X12 scope he was about the size of an ant and he was busy shooting something, I take the shot but didn’t compensate for bullet drop enough so wasn’t a head shot but it hit, he does a 180 an taps me straight away an keeps hitting me, i went behind a rock an popped out few seconds later on different position an finished what i started, maybe he got lucky or something but I’ve used the max scope a heavy can get, an well there is no way he could have shot me so easy with that scope surely, he was NC as well not known for their accuracy. But I don’t know he died I lived, then started picking off others soon after.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    It's F2P, take a wild guess. Of course it will.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by karmath

Still yet to see one. Been accused a few times my self because i have a decent k/d with alot of kills. You do realise pushing right mouse button makes you aim incredibly more accurate? To the point 90% of my kills are headshots at close to medium range.

While I'm sure there are a few 'hackers'  If your good, a hacker is just a terrible baddie that needs some pain in the ass program to even be on a sub even keel with someone with decent skill. Shit, I've most likley toasted a few and been none the wiser.

I agree, and time to kill is very fast at times which would confuse the perception even more.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I'm not a programmer. But when I launch the game I do not get a Windows User Account Control warning. This means that PS2 is not running a module which is capable of monitoring and reporting on launched applications, processes in memory etc.?

Can Sony possibly be serious about preventing cheating without having this capability?

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

I really love PS2 as I did PS1.. but I will not pay a dam penny for anything in game or really put much time into freeplay until the day comes we all know It's at least 99% hack/aimbot free... Perhaps that day will never come?.. I spose it's upto the Dev's to sort this asap. I know it's happening as most do because I have a friend who sadly does this! ... Sort it fast ffs.

Eli

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Cheaters do exist. However, the fact that they exist does not mean that ALL the accusations are remotely correct. In fact, what I have found is that most people "think" someone is hacking simply because they do something that THEY can not or haven't done. I have seen very good player accused of cheating/hacking in many fps games but know FOR A FACT that they are not doing either. A good player is just that...good. Doesn't mean that there are that many cheaters/hackers. There ARE cheaters/hackers.....just not as many as some people want to believe.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I was over a friend's house today helping him out with a couple things and his teenage son happened to have PS2 going on the comp.

I personally saw him die 3 separate times, while getting shot with a probable sniper rifle (or some other rifle) while INSIDE his tank. (He couldn't figure it out how it was happening).

The tank was not damaged/destroyed, and yet he got splattered.

So regardless of how widespread hacks are, they are happening.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The aimbots, random teleporters and speedhackers were rampant in Beta, yet SOE still hasn't done anything about it.  It's just as bad in the release so far.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I often have no idea if a developer will put out any effort,but i am more than certain that SOE will not care one bit.If they do anything ,it will be an automated response,nothing that takes manpower/effort.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Gruug
    Cheaters do exist. However, the fact that they exist does not mean that ALL the accusations are remotely correct. In fact, what I have found is that most people "think" someone is hacking simply because they do something that THEY can not or haven't done. I have seen very good player accused of cheating/hacking in many fps games but know FOR A FACT that they are not doing either. A good player is just that...good. Doesn't mean that there are that many cheaters/hackers. There ARE cheaters/hackers.....just not as many as some people want to believe.

There are plenty of people from beta who know just the right spots to shoot through walls and shields and methods of killing people in their vehicles without even damaging the vehicle itself.  They have an unerring ability to hit you while stealthed even from hundreds of yards away and not miss a single shot as you run.  I've had people who could never have seen me as I was motionless invis when they came into view, yet they came right up to me and one shoot me while still invised.  Tanks being able to hit turrets from impossible distances without missing a shot, despite the fact that each shot from a tank automatically shifts it's trajectory every other shot.  Turrets from opposing facilities, where they can hit you, yet your return fire is always blocked by some obstacle?

There are plenty of videos out there showing people using these various cheats, exploits and hacks.  There is a very famous one for the aimbot hack.