Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good do you think this game is?

Comments

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Best game out there now ...best game since early WoW for me
  • MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Weird poll, I can't enjoy GW2 and EVE.

Kinda the point of the fifth option but I agree, the poll is poorly made.  Was just kinda curious as to how people who bought the game felt about it after having an extensive time in it.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

I think it's the MMO that sucks the least atm.

Probably good in its genre but I find it boring.

Got to max lvl and then nothing to do.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    I voted "Meh".

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

i mostly play other games. 

the reason i play gw2 is because it's b2p.  if it had a sub i wouldn't play it.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Very mediocre and the worst I've ever played story wise in my opinion. It feels like MMO Lite and zones feeling copy pasted even underline that impression for me. Without a sub it can stay on HDD though.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Voted "other"

Me too.  I prefer a mix of themepark/sandbox and while GW2 is fun for the first run through, hitting cap and then having nothing to do afterwards just sucks.  Where is the Longevity?  I don't consider PVP and rolling alts through the exact SAME content longevity.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Voted "other"

Me too.  I prefer a mix of themepark/sandbox and while GW2 is fun for the first run through, hitting cap and then having nothing to do afterwards just sucks.  Where is the Longevity?  I don't consider PVP and rolling alts through the exact SAME content longevity.

How far have you gotten in Fractals? I'm still having a blast there, but only at Fractals 12... WvW takes a bunch of my time. Fractals, however, really gives me a lot of hope for future dungeon progression.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think it's a great game.  I've put in a lot of time playing, so I've definitely gotten my $50 worth. 

However, I am starting to play other games now.  The reason is, as good as it is, I just don't feel like I have anything worthwhile to work towards.  I am a hunter and the armor skins are okay but nothing spectacular to look at.  The dungeon armors don't appeal to me so I can't see grinding them to get armor I don't like to look at.  Same with the cultural armors.  Nothing I loot anymore is better than what I bought off the auctionhouse.  I have all but a few pets.  Crafting seems like a waste of time and money to me in this game.  Don't really see the point there.

I suppose I could reroll but why, I've already seen the game pretty much at this point.  There's no real social game, hardly any emotes, no housing, no ability to change your appearance after character creation. 

As I said I think the game is great, but their recent mention of things they are working on doesn't really keep me motivated to play.  I'd even be willing to pay for some of the things i want but they are sooooo slow in putting up new stuff in the store.  There's nothing I want or need in the store at this point, which is disappointing.

Going back to Skyrim.  They added housing and the ability to redesign your character after character creation.  Bought Far Cry 2, Batman Arkham City GOTY and Witcher 2 Assassin of Kinds Enhanced Edition for $7 off of Steam.  Also haven't played Torchlight 2 that I purchased some time ago, so time to move on a bit.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I just cant play mmos without player housing anymore.

Why do you need player housing - have to sleep somewhere?

Never understood people's fascination with player housing - it is MEH to me. Great, another gold sink - farm, farm, farm - OH your house burnt down - farm, farm, farm. I just don't get it.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

GW2 is an excellent game, very solid.

The best MMO out there, by very far.

• GurstenGursten Member Posts: 5

Pretty good game and fun to play. Awesome graphics.

Could benefit from guild housing or instance for the social aspect 

-> guild meetings

-> trophy room for dungeons or WvW achievements

Mounts would be fun too although not required

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's a good allrounder, but my favourite bit was WvW.

Unfortunately ps2 does "wvw" so much better, so I'm not olaying anymore.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Elikal

I guess it depends a LOT on how you play. For a casual player I think GW2 is ideal. No questlines you need to remember. Just go to an event area and do stuff. You dont need to think much or memorize 4 full quickbars of skills. So for casual players I say it is ideal. For people seeking a "world" to sink their teeth in for months and years, not so much.

So it greatly depends on how you play MMOs.

Not so sure about that.  I only casually watch TV, and when I do, I prefer something interesting, not Jersey Shore.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I just cant play mmos without player housing anymore.

Why do you need player housing - have to sleep somewhere?

Never understood people's fascination with player housing - it is MEH to me. Great, another gold sink - farm, farm, farm - OH your house burnt down - farm, farm, farm. I just don't get it.

That's because instanced themepark housing sucks.  Housing that is part of the game world and can be used for shops and other interesting structures for all players to interact with can add a whole new layer to a game.  I agree though that instanced housing as has been used in themeparks over the years completely sucks and is rarely used for more than storage by most players, if they bother to buy into them at all.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    I think it's a great themepark for people who aren't yet tired of themeparks.  However, I think Guild Wars 1, for all its oldschool shortcomings by today's standards, is still a more interesting game with more soul.

I have to agree with this. The story of GW1 was infinitely better overall. The game is great honestly aside from having more abilities to access on my toolbars I love the gameplay. I do wish there were more varied environments in the starting areas but thats minor. My biggest complaint is the story and just the complete disrespect of the previous series lore and world design. The first GW series was so intelligent and deep in so many ways, and you could tell that they did their research. The way they completely bastardized alot of the lore (that doesn't make sense- Charr being part of the Order of Whispers, really? REALLY?, the complete washing over of Kryta's origins from Elona NOT Ascalon), and don't get me started on Zamon. Oh and the dialogue, good lord the dialogue, and can someone plase find me a KRYTAN noble that looks KRYTAN that is a named character that matters to the story?

Honestly it stinks of not having a bible for your series and making your new devs read it and know it. There are so many lore inaccuracies this time and things that just don't make sense at all. (Halan Fromaj's speech about the nuances of the Elonian language- *facepalm, - they have no language you jerk! They speak the same language)

Just poor poor planning from a company that was independent during development. WoW had a better story that was more coherent and respectful to its past strategy games at launch.

I love this game but it is souless, which is horrible considering they have oodles of lore that they have already done.

The first series was great because it was the first mmo series that really really broke down the humans. The humans here are just treated as meh and so are the different races of humans that many loved. Its sad to see when mmo companies lose their way as far as their history.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I guess it depends a LOT on how you play. For a casual player I think GW2 is ideal. No questlines you need to remember. Just go to an event area and do stuff. You dont need to think much or memorize 4 full quickbars of skills. So for casual players I say it is ideal. For people seeking a "world" to sink their teeth in for months and years, not so much.

Not so sure about that.  I only casually watch TV, and when I do, I prefer something interesting, not Jersey Shore.

Agreed. 

Really GW2 was not even interesting for me when I tried to play very casually after I realized what kind of game it is. 

I tired multiple times to log and just jog around and do one-two DE's or go for WoW / arena.     Still got bored ultra-fast.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I wouldn't say GW2 is Jersey SHore - there is not enough in fighting - think Darkfall for that (OK cheap shot and couldn't resist)  :-)  .

GW2 is a decent game - don't like it, fine. But, as what was said before don't piss in my Cherios and I won't piss in yours.

What is one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I found it to be very dull, shallow, and uninteresting.
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

I'll state from the get go, it's the last box/B2P I'll ever buy. I hate being suckered.

GW1 was an excellent game, so I had high hopes, maybe too high. The PvE was very fun for GW2, but it's not why I came to the game, it was for the WvWvW.

And that's the crux, the first rampant exploit, the single thief's ability to keep an entire army invisible because of some lag error blah blah blah...should have been the FIRST thing resolved...before anything else.

Instead, it still exists to this day. I quit playing after 2 weeks when this ability was being abused massively, many people stopped playing WvW...add to that the crazy server transfers to the winning servers... pvp had become ugly, and no fun in any way.

So I took a break, checked in on Halloween, asked around if they fixed the 'invisible army' yet..nope. I did notice, there was not as many people around as there was at launch, didn't think too much on it though, and went back to my other game.

Yesterday, I logged in after seeing an article here in MMORPG, and my server was dead, I mean dead. I saw maybe 4-10 people in Lion's Arch, the chat was empty except for me asking if the 'invisible army' was fixed? Answer: 'no'. but what was I to expect they asked me?

Well...I expect that when you have a game breaking ability in pvp, you take the ability away and start fresh. At the very least you address it. ArenaNet hasn't said any word on it, and oh well, better pvp games have come along....shocker.

Really disappointed in A-Net's treatment of this issue, but it's like folks say..'they got our money, that's all it was about.' That's the last hype machine I fall for, lesson learned.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I rank it right behind SWTOR. I have to. I played swtor for 3 months. I must have ran 5k battlegrounds, plus I enjoyed the story for the first 40 or so levels. 

Next to SWTOR, I played GW2 for the least amount time of all the releases in the past 2 years.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

What I like:

- The design of the zones, environment, and art style. Each zone has very large structures that seem to be out of a concept art painting silhouetted against the sky. I love that. Most towns in the zones are open for invasion, protection, or retaking. This makes the world feel alive. It's nice to see your karma merchants take up a sword and die in the invasion of their area.

- The music. Jeremy Soule won me over with his music in Oblivion. His talent only adds to my point above. The music matched with the beauty of the zones kept me in the game for a while when I was bored.

- The diversity of playstyles. I play a guardian currently and am relieved to know that I can take a lot more punches than a thief or even a glass-cannon spec'd guardian or warrior. 

- Dungeon running. I love, love, love to run dungeons in this game. They are hard and require team cooperation and communication. Few dungeons involve mindless zerging. Zerging in the hard dungeons is obviously possible and is a LOT of fun given a well-communicating group of players.

- Progression at level 80. I recently hit level 80 and find myself pretty okay with the bit of grinding I have to do. I haven't even been to the ruins of Orr yet, or completed most maps in the game, so I've opted out of some of the more boring grinds that are available. I spend my time doing what I want to do in GW2 and don't find myself lacking in progressing my gear. I run dungeons, that's what I want to do when I log in, and I do it. I may need to go into WvW or a different zone for my monthly, but it is pretty minimal and don't spend a lot of time doing it.

- Progression of style. Everyone in GW2 wants to look cool. There are many different ways to getting a cool set of armor. I, as you could guess by now, go for the dungeon armors and am currently working on a set. Unfortunately the majority of tokens I need are from Sorrow's Embrace, and nobody likes that place. I do, but it's hard without teamwork thus hard to PUG.

- Easy to get on and play. This is the games strongest point. Log in, choose character, waypoint anywhere, start doing whatever you want. It's a brilliant idea. Auction house is available anywhere. Mail is available anywhere. Bank is built into crafting. Collectibles bank to save space. It's just so easy to do what you want to do without hassle.

What I don't like:

- The gem store. This game would be awesome, but impossible, without a gem store. It takes away from the immersion a LOT to see beanies and aviators as soon as I pop the gem store up. Makes the game feel less alive, which takes away from the living world.

- No fast travel animation of any kind. This is more of a pet-peeve. Waypoints are essential to this game, but have no lore present when using them. I wish there was more of an asura-gate feel to them. Perhaps a quick animation of your particle-body flying through the sky at super-high speeds. This would enlarge the world a lot.

There's more that I like than what I dislike, and this is why I think GW2 is a great game that I will be logging into occassionally for a long time. Once Darkfall:UW releases however, I will drop this easy game and get back into the style gaming that I am more passionate about: getting my ass kicked.

I see a lot of folks crying that GW2 is too easy, and that's fine. It's designed to be so. That's why there is diversity in the market. I'm glad I can appreciate both genres of themepark and "sandbox-like" (don't shoot. I know DF is not a true sandbox).

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

It is one of the few MMORPGs not using a random roll to hit system, but a real physics engine.

Just that detail makes it a top choice for me.

And from those not using a random roll to hit system is by far the best for my tastes.

Not having a sub is a plus, although it doesn't make me spend that much less than if I was paying a sub (well if I wasn't currently boycotting gems purchases with real money because of the ascended items, that is).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    It's a good game and alot of fun but not superb.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• GeobardiGeobardi Member Posts: 68
    It's a really good game and totally worth the money i spent in it, but i miss the amount of details and work that the original Guild Wars had, it had much more "soul" than the sequel. Well, it has just started, let's see how it evolves.