Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: It's All About Choice

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the most important things that many players crave in an MMO is a high level of customization. Whether it's the way their character looks or the influences that have come to bear on their race or faction, choice matters. In our latest WildStar column, we take a look at the ways Carbine is making sure their players get what they want. Read on!

I have to admit that I love going over to the official WildStar site to check out the weekly Uplink discussion. For those who don’t know, the WildStar Uplink is a time for the dev team to ask players a question then sit back and take in the answers before offering a bit of behind-the-scenes knowledge about how Carbine Studios will try to meet the desires of its players. Recent discussions have revolved around such hot topics as sandbox vs theme park and the dearth of long-lived sci-fi MMOs. Let’s face it: These guys have their finger on the community’s pulse about what is important to them.

Read more of Suzie Ford's WildStar: It's All About Choice.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It's really encouraging to hear that the team are putting so much thought into the "little things" like character customization.

Wildstar MAY well turn out to be a really great game. It certainly sounds like it when you hear the Dev team talking. But unfortunately, the "vision" seldom makes it into the final product intact.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic until I get to experience the actual gameplay.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    gonna be a 1 month throwaway unfortunately.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by RoyalPhunk
    gonna be a 1 month throwaway unfortunately.

This

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    The game seems interesting from what I've read, but sadly, the screenshots make the game look horrible.
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

The quotes are reminiscent of a lot of stuff ArenaNet said about GW2s character creation functionality prior to launch (concerning both NPCs and PCs). I feel they fell just a LITTLE bit short of what was promised, at least talking about the Norn, Humans and Sylvari.

Judging from what I've heard I am certain that GW2s and WildStars character creation will be pushed into heavy comparison from an early point on. Which is actually exciting for me.

Personally, the way my character looks DIRECTLY influences whether I play him/her at all and how long my interest will last. In GW2 I find myself creating and recreating the same character until I find a look that fits and pleases my eyes. In WildStar it will be no different.

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113
    I'm impressed by the internal 'shaping' ideas, but I think the external facial structure and body type should also be determined by attributes and some skills, talents, abilities, etc.  The make-up of the character is very important to me, and I believe if you have certain attributes, external-view-affecting-background portions, etc., it should set the base for how the character looks, and the range in which a player can adjust the appearance and size of the character, though they can't go outside that range without making some manner of characteristic change.  I realize that sounds elitist and ultra-realistic, but if players are really looking to have characters who are a reflection of their background and stats, then this method might just fit.

As for my personal desire for my character... guy characters I don't care how good or bad they look, while I'm particular about female characters.  I don't want a supermodel, necessarily, but I would like my vision of the character I have, initially, to come close to the stats and background of the character.  But, then, I'm an old tabletop role-player, so that's the view I'm proceeding from.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Wildstar MAY well turn out to be a really great game. It certainly sounds like it when you hear the Dev team talking. But unfortunately, the "vision" seldom makes it into the final product intact.

Well, if it helps; the vision is much more likely to 'survive intact' with a company's first MMO.

It's later on, an expansion, another title--that the devs historically completely jump the shark for the gleaming sellout of $$$ (or the bean-counters firmly override creative control).

Oh, right--I'm supposed to recite "doom".   Doom.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Well, if it helps; the vision is much more likely to 'survive intact' with a company's first MMO.

It's later on, an expansion, another title--that the devs historically completely jump the shark for the gleaming sellout of $$$ (or the bean-counters firmly override creative control).

Oh, right--I'm supposed to recite "doom".   Doom.

Steady now...

I did say "I'll remain cautiously optimistic". If you equate that with reciting "Doom", then I guess we have very diffirent standards.

IF Wildstar delivers on the promises it will most likely become my favourite themebox MMO. That's saying a lot for someone who objects to "cartoony graphics" almost as a matter of principle :D

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Steady now...

I did say "I'll remain cautiously optimistic". If you equate that with reciting "Doom", then I guess we have very diffirent standards.

No no, just following the trend thus far in the thread. (sorry, that wasn't aimed at you or anything).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    They have a broad vision for this game, hopefully they take the time and expense to actually make it come to fruition and make a fantastic game, and then most importantly I hope they stay true to whatever philosophy and vision they have for the game post-launch unlike some other companies out there.