Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

550 Million lottery (Make your MMO)

toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Supose you were the sole lottery winner tonight, and you wanted to make an MMO. What would you make with 550 million dollars? BTW I know the winner will not take home 550 million, but for this thread thats what you have to spend.

What I would do is round up the old FFXI team and give them a copy of FFXI and say here you go improve this game, make a real sequal. I would have them add a little more stuff to do for solo'ing but i would make sure they kept the group party as a key aspect, and damn sure make my point that the players have to work together in groups like with skill chains and magic bursts.

Improve upon the LFG system to where if you had multiple jobs or wanted to level multiple jobs you could  LFG with multiple jobs.

Crafting system would need to be revamped. I would look to try and get the SWG craft system incorperated.

I would also definatly be brainstorming a way to combat RMT from the get go, somehow build code from the start to track money, have not put to much thought into that yet, but I am sure theres a way if developers could build some type of tracking system, to flag suspicious activities.

I would do a structured PVP system, but in no way shape or form would I let it destroy PVE like it does in current games. I would keep the strict PVE roles, but when it came to pvp I would counter that with PVP only gear to make it where a tank for example could do some pvp damage. For example in XI my PLD couldnt do damge at all, Well in my game i would give PLD imcredable damage boosting gear for PVP use only. Thats how I would balance my classes that way I would not destroy the integrity of the core PVE game.

In a nut shell thats what I would do, what would you do?

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
Now Playing: N/A
Worst MMO: FFXIV
Favorite MMO: FFXI

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Why would you put money into MMO knowing that no matter what you do and how much love and hard work you will put into it, only to find out in the end that whatever you created was not what players were expected and you would get zero appreciation for your effort :)

Have fun and enjoy your money :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by toddze

Supose you were the sole lottery winner tonight, and you wanted to make an MMO. What would you make with 550 million dollars? BTW I know the winner will not take home 550 million, but for this thread thats what you have to spend.

What I would do is round up the old FFXI team and give them a copy of FFXI and say here you go improve this game, make a real sequal. I would have them add a little more stuff to do for solo'ing but i would make sure they kept the group party as a key aspect, and damn sure make my point that the players have to work together in groups like with skill chains and magic bursts.

Improve upon the LFG system to where if you had multiple jobs or wanted to level multiple jobs you could  LFG with multiple jobs.

Crafting system would need to be revamped. I would look to try and get the SWG craft system incorperated.

I would also definatly be brainstorming a way to combat RMT from the get go, somehow build code from the start to track money, have not put to much thought into that yet, but I am sure theres a way if developers could build some type of tracking system, to flag suspicious activities.

I would do a structured PVP system, but in no way shape or form would I let it destroy PVE like it does in current games. I would keep the strict PVE roles, but when it came to pvp I would counter that with PVP only gear to make it where a tank for example could do some pvp damage. For example in XI my PLD couldnt do damge at all, Well in my game i would give PLD imcredable damage boosting gear for PVP use only. Thats how I would balance my classes that way I would not destroy the integrity of the core PVE game.

In a nut shell thats what I would do, what would you do?

this.

For once, we're asking for a clone. make a clone of FF11 and get it right down to the combos.

Hell, just make a big fuss over it and get a crowd back again, and ill be good with what we got already.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    $550 million dollars over 30 years comes out closer to $170 million in a single payment before taxes. Which would net out to about $90 million.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If I had $550 million to spend on creating MMORPGs, I'd make more than one.  Obviously, you keep a large chunk of the budget back initially to account for overrunning your cost estimates.  But if you spend $550 million to create a single game, there isn't much chance that it's going to be a commercial success.
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Why would you put money into MMO knowing that no matter what you do and how much love and hard work you will put into it, only to find out in the end that whatever you created was not what players were expected and you would get zero appreciation for your effort :)

I think if your honest with the player base from the get go players would get what they expected. For my example if i said this is a true FFXI sequal, why would anyone buy it if they hated XI?

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Because some people actually have a pashion for what they create/do, and not all return investments have to be money. Or they wish to create something they would enjoy. Thats how we got gaming afterall, its just been spun into a very successful industry that capatalists have taken control of over the years. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96

I would have the game made iv come up with in my head over the years of playing many mmo's starting back from about the beta of everquest "original". I would do this not to make more money from it, but to have the enjoyment of being part of making something imaginary from my head into a reality others could experience. And the excitement of experimenting with new ways of doing things, again ideas in my head. 

Having the need or desire for others approval of my game design not be a concern this would be " My Game and my world "

edit: I would be open to sharing these ideas, however when it comes to developing a game, I have little if no skills. I only have the imagination :/ , i would make a killer game thos IMO =D just havent seen anything remotely close to it.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Dark Age of Camelot 2.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• Chosen1Chosen1 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Vladamyre
    Dark Age of Camelot 2.

/thread

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

A mix of precarebear UO, DAOC and SB and some EQ/EQ2 for downtime questing/raids

• kiltakkiltak Member Posts: 103
    I think there several MMO I'd would love to make if I had the money. Top of my list would be Dragon Lance, Terminator (FPS), St ar wars (FPS/X-wing vs Tie Fighter). Those are just a few I can name off the top of my head. However I think I would start off with a single player game and build my company up before taking on an MMO.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Because some people actually have a pashion for what they create/do, and not all return investments have to be money. Or they wish to create something they would enjoy. Thats how we got gaming afterall, its just been spun into a very successful industry that capatalists have taken control of over the years. 

I admire people who have passion and are ready to sacrifice years of their life to create something. I just wish that others would see the effort and appreciate it even if the creator's game was not what they expected. We all know how this goes :)

My post was sarcastic.

But by all means if the creator has hard enough butt for all the whipping, go for it image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Sorry guys, this will take 20 years before it even enters beta.  Then probably another decade, just to make sure it isn't "rushed".

Don't gripe--I can afford perpetual vaporware, and you guys did ask for the moon, the stars, all of the comets, the black holes, the quasars, superstrings and the kitchen sink.

So I'll send you a message, around the time your kids are exiting college.  They'll get one hell of a game!

Oh, er, you guys who can't be pleased, even when someone hands you a stack of cash (you know who you are)--you get an original, guaranteed mint copy of E.T.--the Extra-Terrestrial for Atari 2600.  Enjoy!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Yea, if there's one thing I've learned after all of this is that I will NOT put my personal money into making a video game... sorry guys.... I'm no Curt Schilling and the way everyone turned on him AND he lost his fortune.. no thanks.

P.S.  Only a measly 370 MILLION... chump change.... but you'd better believe I got my tickets.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Yea, if there's one thing I've learned after all of this is that I will NOT put my personal money into making a video game... sorry guys.... I'm no Curt Schilling and the way everyone turned on him AND he lost his fortune.. no thanks.

P.S.  Only a measly 370 MILLION... chump change.... but you'd better believe I got my tickets.

I agree. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I dont think any MMO should have that large budget. 

But I could put $100M then into actually making a nice MMO.

I myself would buy the Shadowrun license and keep as much as the original mechanics as possible (stuff like no HP and the coolest magic system to date).

I would then not copy EQ, UO or Wow but try to translate the P6P feeling into a MMO from scratch. It would be pretty sandboxy but there would be a kind of quest which both can be player created and premade.

Basically would those however be like the original runs from SR, like "Aztechnology have this prototype, get it", leaving all the details to the runners. Then you would yourself try to get maps of the place and figure out how to do it yourself without anyone actually telling you what to do.

Have player run corps instead of guilds just as player run gangs,then smaller groups of players could band together as runner groups (you want independant players if your corp want to hire saboteurs since actual proofs would be bad.

And while I would have PvP corps employees who murders people would be put in jail, so instead of permadeath you could end up having your char in 2 months real time jail if you take matters into your own hands.  However what happens inside your own corp is your business and trespasser will be shot.

I would also have PvE servers but you would be PvP flagged when you are in illegal places anyways. A gang member in the wrong turf or a runner inside a corps should always be in PvP mode.

An advance crafting and research system should of course be in place as well, with focus on researching tech and mass producing most of it, but also with the option to customize your own weapons and vehicles. A corp should be able to research and make for example a motorcycle, design it so it looks cool and allowing other players and NPCs to buy it for profit.

I would also use a rather advanced economical system, and money sinks would vary depending on the average wealth of players.

With that money and a really good lead programmer I think I actually could pull that off. 

Originally posted by Ikeda

Poor Curt really should have hired in someone with knowledge about business as well, with the money they put in they at least should have been able to release the game even if it probably would have flopped anyways.

But yeah, putting all your fortune in a MMO is not a great idea, a third of it on the other hand might be worth it as long as I actually could release the game I want.

Originally posted by Loke666

I myself would buy the Shadowrun license and keep as much as the original mechanics as possible (stuff like no HP and the coolest magic system to date).

I always did think ShadowRun had the best open IP out there.  And I'm not talking that crappy one they released a couple of years back.  Even the Genesis game didn't really capture the essence of the IP.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I would make the game that suited a large majority of people but by separating the playtypes into different rulesets within the same world.  So people that just want to build the world can build the world without worrying about gankers etc, but people that want to fight can OWPvP all they want. They don't need to be in a different world, and they don't need to play the portion of the game that doesn't interest them.  They say the world takes all types, well why can't a gameworld too?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    SWG 2.0

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I dont think any MMO should have that large budget. 

But I could put $100M then into actually making a nice MMO.

I would then not copy EQ, UO or Wow but try to translate the P6P feeling into a MMO from scratch. It would be pretty sandboxy but there would be a kind of quest which both can be player created and premade.

Basically would those however be like the original runs from SR, like "Aztechnology have this prototype, get it", leaving all the details to the runners. Then you would yourself try to get maps of the place and figure out how to do it yourself without anyone actually telling you what to do.

Have player run corps instead of guilds just as player run gangs,then smaller groups of players could band together as runner groups (you want independant players if your corp want to hire saboteurs since actual proofs would be bad.

And while I would have PvP corps employees who murders people would be put in jail, so instead of permadeath you could end up having your char in 2 months real time jail if you take matters into your own hands.  However what happens inside your own corp is your business and trespasser will be shot.

I would also have PvE servers but you would be PvP flagged when you are in illegal places anyways. A gang member in the wrong turf or a runner inside a corps should always be in PvP mode.

An advance crafting and research system should of course be in place as well, with focus on researching tech and mass producing most of it, but also with the option to customize your own weapons and vehicles. A corp should be able to research and make for example a motorcycle, design it so it looks cool and allowing other players and NPCs to buy it for profit.

I would also use a rather advanced economical system, and money sinks would vary depending on the average wealth of players.

With that money and a really good lead programmer I think I actually could pull that off. 

Nice Idea. It sounds like A game I might be able to get into and play.

Originally posted by Jonoku
    SWG 2.0

I think that would be a misstake, reusing some of the good original ideas would be good but SOE didnt do the NGE to mess with the players, the game was bleeding subs at the time.

I think SWG was a pretty good game but with that money you should be able to make an original concept instead of doing whats already been done.

Dont you have any imagination? 

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    SWG 2.0

I think that would be a misstake, reusing some of the good original ideas would be good but SOE didnt do the NGE to mess with the players, the game was bleeding subs at the time.

I think SWG was a pretty good game but with that money you should be able to make an original concept instead of doing whats already been done.

Dont you have any imagination? 

I think we'd agree I'm lazy to come up with something new. All I know is I enjoy it, I'd donate 50 million to SOE and Lucas Arts to make SWG 2.0 and I'll pay monthly but cheaper then others since I paid 50 million already. Great idea imo.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Star Wars Galaxies 2.

Moot point for me... all my tickets were bust :-(