Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Misdetecting AdBlock

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

A while ago, you supposedly added a red banner at the top of the screen saying that you've detected that the user is using AdBlock and asking the user to whitelist your site.  Fair enough.  I'm sympathetic to your need for ad revenue, and don't block most ads for that reason.

So why are you now showing the banner to people who aren't using AdBlock?  I don't think white-listing you through AdBlock will do anything when I'm not using AdBlock in the first place.  I'm guessing it's a glitch, but if so, then you ought to be informed about it.

If I scroll down, there's another banner ad toward the bottom of the page, but that would scroll the red banner off of the screen.

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Quizzical

A while ago, you supposedly added a red banner at the top of the screen saying that you've detected that the user is using AdBlock and asking the user to whitelist your site.  Fair enough.  I'm sympathetic to your need for ad revenue, and don't block most ads for that reason.

So why are you now showing the banner to people who aren't using AdBlock?  I don't think white-listing you through AdBlock will do anything when I'm not using AdBlock in the first place.  I'm guessing it's a glitch, but if so, then you ought to be informed about it.

If I scroll down, there's another banner ad toward the bottom of the page, but that would scroll the red banner off of the screen.

Looking into this for you!

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    Is this still occurring for you?  I see in your screenshot that there is no ad in the header.  This is what the ad block code evaluates to determine whether to show you the bar or not.  There should be an ad in the area to the right of the site logo and stats.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

The red banner disappeared until today, then came back just now.  It's showing me black boxes where there would normally be ads, and I got some error messages when trying to check mail, so it's probably just server problems.  It was showing ads as normal earlier today and I didn't change anything.

My guess is that the red banner is triggered if a glitch prevents some particular ad from displaying properly.  I don't have AdBlock, or any other add-on to block ads.  I do block a handful of sites used for the double-underline text pop-up ads that make it a major nuisance to read text.  Opera has a built-in way to block pop-ups that aren't triggered directly by clicking a link, and I do use that, but I don't think that's relevant here.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This happened to me as well yesterday. Just figured I'd add. I do have it installed on my slow as molasses netbook because one bad flash or java ad can practically crash it but this network is fully whitelisted.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Now it's not showing me ads at all, apart from the large wraparound.

It's been like that since yesterday.  The red bar hasn't returned, though.  I didn't change anything, and still have no AdBlock.  The only things that I block are some pop-ups and the URLs for some double-underline text pop-ups that basically constitute malware.

Not seeing ads doesn't bother me, but if you're not getting revenue even from people who don't block ads, that might bother you.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Now it's not showing me ads at all, apart from the large wraparound.

It's been like that since yesterday.  The red bar hasn't returned, though.  I didn't change anything, and still have no AdBlock.  The only things that I block are some pop-ups and the URLs for some double-underline text pop-ups that basically constitute malware.

Not seeing ads doesn't bother me, but if you're not getting revenue even from people who don't block ads, that might bother you.

Could you try getting in touch with us at support AT mmorpg DOT com? Thanks!

I think the issue is that your ads simply don't play nicely with the Opera browser.  I've now checked on two other computers, at least one of which did not have any sites blocked in any way, and the left sidebar ads never work anymore, and the top bar ads sometimes work and sometimes don't.  I haven't seen the big red "please don't block us" bar since my last post, though.