Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People really play this?

serratedpigeonserratedpigeon Member Posts: 7

Walked around for an hour til i could finally pick up some grass... made a mask... got a plot of land... chopped some wood... shot myself in the foot for some excitement.

This game was dreadfully boring and except for the occasional skeleton and half built settlements there was zero signs of life.(unless you count crickets)

Comments

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

I love salem, but it is generally the sort of game you wanna play while watching a tv show or film on your second monitor.

The combat is actually more real time than most mmos, but the overall pace of the game is very very slow.

My blog: image

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Its slow starting out, ill admit that much.

It sounds as if you are even newer than i am. For example, you should be happy you dont see anyone near your settlement. The consequences can be extreme, if the wrong crowd finds you.

Do yourself a favor and give this game a chance, i really like it, and im almost afraid to advertise it because more players = less land = more bandits = more death. I had the same feeling as you for the first day or so. But believe me the game opens up when you start understanding the mechanics and multiple systems they have going on.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by serratedpigeon

Walked around for an hour til i could finally pick up some grass... made a mask... got a plot of land... chopped some wood... shot myself in the foot for some excitement.

This game was dreadfully boring and except for the occasional skeleton and half built settlements there was zero signs of life.(unless you count crickets)

Avoid the crickets. They will kick your ass.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by serratedpigeon

It's a game about crafting, what did you expect? Some people like building their own settlement and defending it from enemies.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

frankly the early/mid game sucks in salem if you hermit (go solo) working with other people is generally more enjoyable but higher risk of being raided/pked but then you can be pk/raided as a hermit too.

i played about 2 weeks solo until i got stonewalled with stuff and rolled a new toon to join a guy's group. more enjoyable even if im a dedicated miner/landscaper now lolol beats talking to my self while foraging.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i think it's a fine game.  but,  with the clunkyness and near impossibility of succeeding in combat,  perma-death is too high of a risk for me to spend more time playing it.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I like the game, but then I also love the pace of Wurm.