Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good do you think this game is?

MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

So since this game has been out a while now how do you feel about it?  If other themeparks had similar models would you play them over GW2? This is something I've wondered by the masses playing GW2

I pre-ordered Gw2 in april and after playing for a few weeks I realized it wasn't for me.  The dungeons felt too much like a clusterf**k and it was annoying that I unlocked everything for my necro after level 40-45 ish once i got lich form. I know these points have been iterated by others many times but I just wanted to express my opinion (that is what this site is for right?). I played through level 73 and quit once I realized what the Orr zones were like (massive zergs) and havent played since.  This was over the course of 4 weeks so I dont feel I rushed through it.  I know I can go back whenever I want as well.

In my opinion I would play other themeparks over this one if they followed the same business model. So my question for you all is do you feel you enjoy GW2 because of the business model as compared to other games or do you think it is a very enjoyable  game that you would play regardless of business model.

Comments

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

Easily the best CE I have purchased since Silent Hill

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    It does seem that "no subscription fee" is one of the most talked about "features" of the game, doesn't it?  I've never really been bothered by a subscription personally.  However, I do find it unfortunate that people use the payment model as a reason to play a game.  Games *should* be all about the fun they generate, in my opinion at least.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I think it's a great themepark for people who aren't yet tired of themeparks.  However, I think Guild Wars 1, for all its oldschool shortcomings by today's standards, is still a more interesting game with more soul.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Voted "other"

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by killion81
    It does seem that "no subscription fee" is one of the most talked about "features" of the game, doesn't it?  I've never really been bothered by a subscription personally.  However, I do find it unfortunate that people use the payment model as a reason to play a game.  Games *should* be all about the fun they generate, in my opinion at least.

Their business model is definately a reason to talk and is ONE of the reasons many bought the game. But I think you would be mistaken if you think they just buy it because of the business model. It's more of a mix of business model and how much does the game appeal to you(fun). TBH that's how every purchase should be done, unless you have loads of money laying around.

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

It is ok. Not awesome, not bad, just ok. I will probably keep it on the disc and play when i will feel like it just because it is free, but it will be my secondary mmo. I'm still hoping they will introduce some kind of competition system for guilds pvp and pve wise. It is called guild wars, but there is absolutely no necessity or encouregement for one to be in a guild at the moment. 

GW2 is too casual even for a casual player like me.  Sure one can play for days or even months to get that perfect gear. But why would he need to? Will that make him better than other players? Will he be more desirable in pve or pvp? 

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    The poll is a bit rubbish, it's basically yes GW2 is a great game or my game type preference is x.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I think it's fun.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    The poll is a bit rubbish, it's basically yes GW2 is a great game or my game type preference is x.

I think the idea of the poll was "If all MMORPGs on the market were buy to play, would you be playing GW2 or one of the other MMORPGs on the market?"  However, the poll question and options do not really accurately reflect that, so yeah... the poll is a bit rubbish.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Best MMORPG on the market.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    On the whole, I've grown bored of GW 2 faster than I have other recent AAA MMOs such as SWTOR. I do love the payment model though and hope it becomes standard in the industry. It will be very hard for any company to convince me to pay $60 + $15/month for any MMO (that I'll more than likely stop playing and never pick up again after 2-3 months) ever again.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

After playing since, well, before BWE1 it still qualifies for me personally as "Best game ever". There's still so much I haven't done yet (thanks to WvW hooking its claws into me...), and thanks to them releasing new content every month so far there's even more out there yet to be seen. 

It's crazy that they release more content than subscription games yet have no pay to win elements in there at all. They rely purely on box sales and the optional microtransaction store. Now Wintersday is coming, and it's a month-long happening that will touch every major city in the game.

Yeah... best game ever. For me. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243
    The game is amazing. The ones that complain about GW2, complain about every other MMO.  Those people will never be pleased. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is incredibly smooth, and the depth of the game is incredible.  Those that are still "waiting for the right MMO to finally come" will never have the open mind, and won't notice a great game even if it smacks them right in the face.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Surprisingly shallow compared to the masterpiece of GW1.

Properly something that can be fixed though if developers ever get the attention in that direction.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    The business model is pretty good, assuming there are people willing to sell gems for gold.  The game design has a lot of issues though.
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    I enjoyed it for a while, but the recent changes feel forced, WvW has been completely forgotten, and crafting is unrewarding unless you grind or pull out the credit card. I enjoyed some of the game systems and the combat is nice, but it's not enough to keep me.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

As far as themeparks go, this game is pretty top notch.

I realized during playing the game awhile back that even the best themeparks bore me to tears.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I played for the 4 days trials, i played for about 3 of those days before returning to TSW. I can see the draw of the game however it just felt very Grindy to me. Abilities, how the quests were layed out, progression, it just felt very grindy to me. Now for those who say you are playing it wrong you are supposed to explore. i had 4 days. i didnt exactly have time to explore.

That being said i will admit the game was very pretty, the animations were pretty cool (though sometimes could hurt you more than help you) and the classes were well done.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I just cant play mmos without player housing anymore.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I guess it depends a LOT on how you play. For a casual player I think GW2 is ideal. No questlines you need to remember. Just go to an event area and do stuff. You dont need to think much or memorize 4 full quickbars of skills. So for casual players I say it is ideal. For people seeking a "world" to sink their teeth in for months and years, not so much.

So it greatly depends on how you play MMOs.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

For whatever reason, this game lost its luster really fast for me (as well as a lot of my friends who tried it).  

I will normally get at least a few months of enjoyment out of an MMO but GW2 got boring for me after about 70 hours of played time over the course of about 6 weeks.  

Compare that to games like SWG, WoW, and even Rift where I've logged hundreds of hours each and still play all three regularly.

I love the graphics and the game play, I just think the game really fell short on social mechanics and dungeon design. 

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Weird poll, I can't enjoy GW2 and EVE.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I found it too shallow for my tastes, it has all the things that should make it a great MMO but ...

I saw a good quote that aptly summed it up for me, "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle".

Hopefully it'll get a bit more depth as time goes on.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    For me the game is pretty awesome for what it is. If you're a casual player, the game is nice since you're not punished for not playing for a certain amount of time. If you're into PvE only, this might not be the game for you IMO since it can be done pretty fast but its also fun sometimes. If you're into PvP, then the game have a great instanced PvP system (even tho its lacking a lot of stuff atm) with no gear grind and its also have a pretty good WvW but it could be polish more than it is right now. The buisness model is neat. Sure atm, the game is lacking some stuff but I don't mind, I know they will be added along the way and the game will only get better as time goes by. Best MMO since WoW for me.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by gambe1

It is ok. Not awesome, not bad, just ok. I will probably keep it on the disc and play when i will feel like it just because it is free, but it will be my secondary mmo.

I feel the same way about GW2. I don't know what it is about the game, but it cannot hold my attention. I log in for a total of about 5 hours a week.