Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Confusion

MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

I have to tell you up front I have never played a Final Fantasy (MMORPG) title and I couldn't find the answer via Google so I came here to end my confusion:

I thought they released a follow up to Final Fantasy XI in 2010-2011 or so with the name Final Fantasy XIV. I remember reading how it was suckish and how it would be made for PS3 as well. I decided not to buy and play it and hold off for a while.

Now I'm desperately looking for a game to play and FFXIV popped into my head. I went looking for it on this website and what I found was a game in Alpha with trailers and other promo's. So I'm utterly confused right now. Is the game I read about a year ago shut down and is "A Realm Reborn" tagged on for a reboot? Or am I missing something? Maybe I made the whole thing up?

Comments

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168
    The initial release was such an awful failure, they basically rebuilt the game. 
  • RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    You need to stop looking like the rest that try. The game is being re-launched. The alpha-beta process has already started. Be patient and it will be here before you know it. By the way, the news of Final Fantasy 14 has been covered a lot, even the re-launch. I am not sure how that information was ever missed in any search.  :)
  • MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

I think I was using the wrong search terms and that's why I didn't get anywhere. But I'm correct in saying you can't play any FFXIV whatsoever at this moment right? I have to wait until next year, the relaunch, before being able to play?

How do you Final Fantasy fans get your fix at this moment? I looked at some Youtube footage of FFXI and it looked a bit too ancient for me.

• AceeedAceeed Member UncommonPosts: 17

You can apply here http://entry.ffxiv.com/alpha/index_na.html

But i don't know if they are accepting more alpha testers, i applied there in october and now im testing it, the new rebuilt looks awesome =)

Now looks as a true mmo. Good luck!

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    or you can look at the post Titaled all final fantasy xiv arr info . everything's there I updated it daily if it warrants it. people can post info there ill look it over and edit main post if it is worth it. I encourage you and everyone to look that post over before posting info that is already posted there . open discussion on that thread is encouraged . enjoy :)

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211
    yep,FF 14 was a great success so SE are doing a FF14-2 . same as FF X-2 and FF 13-2. ^_^hurray
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by ThaPlayah86

But i don't know if they are accepting more alpha testers, i applied there in october and now im testing it, the new rebuilt looks awesome =)

You're not supposed to be telling people that, per the NDA.

Just sayin'.

It's pretty clear in the terms you agree to when you are accepted to an Alpha/Beta. It amazes me how people can't follow even one simple rule: to do not discuss or even mention that you are in Alpha.

But then again, there are people who think the only reason Alphas/Betas exist are "yay, free trial! I get to learn the game before everyone else!" - and then go on to complain on public forums about bugs they find, but never bother to report them. I've seen some go so far as to say it's not their job to tell the developers what's wrong with their game... in a Beta/Alpha test. /doublefacepalm

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

Just sayin'.

It's pretty clear in the terms you agree to when you are accepted to an Alpha/Beta. It amazes me how people can't follow even one simple rule: to do not discuss or even mention that you are in Alpha.

But then again, there are people who think the only reason Alphas/Betas exist are "yay, free trial! I get to learn the game before everyone else!" - and then go on to complain on public forums about bugs they find, but never bother to report them. I've seen some go so far as to say it's not their job to tell the developers what's wrong with their game... in a Beta/Alpha test. /doublefacepalm

Its the internet, unless he has foolishly used the same username or made his email that he used for the game public on here its unlilkely there will be any serious ramnifications for him disclosing that he is in Alpha.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

Just sayin'.

Its the internet, unless he has foolishly used the same username or made his email that he used for the game public on here its unlilkely there will be any serious ramnifications for him disclosing that he is in Alpha.

If he likes his account on this site he shouldn't say anything though.  Mmorpg.com bans people who break a games nda. Other than that, nothing will happen to his Square E account.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

To stay on topic, yeah they updated what they could while the game was live for quite a while.  They fired the original guys and brought on or promoted someone else who took over a rebuilding process.  They kept the servers alive and added numerous changes for a while, and then just recently shut down FFXIV in a big even that has a video associated with it in which the Garland Empire summons a meteor that contains Bahamut and just before he destroys the world the adventurers are sent to the future. 

A Realm Reborn adjusts many things.  More wide open themed zones, more expansions on the job system, UI updates, combat overhaul, and many things to make it more like FFXI.  The changes are in tune with what the general community and playerbase wanted. 

It will relaunch next year on PC and PS3 where the two playerbases will play on the same servers.  I am really excited about it honestly.

I am not 100% sure on a lot of this info as I am trying to keep it in the back of my mind until it is closer to launch.

Here is the end of FFXIV -

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/11/final-fantasy-xiv-shut-down-reborn-in-this-end-of-an-era-trai/

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Hello OP, just be glad you missed the whole FFXIV 1.0 thing, it was a nightmare that those of us that lived though may never recover from.

However the new guy in charge, Yoshi P as we like to call him, is currently the hardest working and most open mmo dev on the planet, and is my pick for best carbon based life form in the Galaxy. I would recommend you apply to the alpha, but if you are really into the lore of Final Fantasy there is some info on the history of Eorenzia, (or however you spell it) that explains how the old world (game) came to an end, and the new one begins.

It is a tale of hatred, and doomed insane tyrants, of empires and heroes, and a giant red moon that isn’t a moon, and likes to hide dragon things in it who like to do Deathwing impressions all over people’s continents. And of a wizard that likes to die like Gandalf fighting the Balrog, only we think he really dies, and doesn’t come back as a different colour, only maybe he does, but I think he shouldn’t as his death was awesome, and smiley. 

Any other questions?

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    So much hyperbole around this game. Yes, it had some issues, but it wasn't nearly as bad as most here are describing.

<3

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    So much hyperbole around this game. Yes, it had some issues, but it wasn't nearly as bad as most here are describing.

Yes it was.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Are you kidding me?  It was SO BAD, the developer shut down their OWN game, apologized profusely, and are completely OVERHAULING IT.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

...of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I must now weep for the human race. 

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Are you kidding me?  It was SO BAD, the developer shut down their OWN game, apologized profusely, and are completely OVERHAULING IT.

As opposed to shutting it down and reopening it with a cash shop.    Which do you think is the more appropriate action?

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

I think it should be pointed out that the relaunch is more than just a remake of 1.0. It's adding a lot of new features, to the point that it'll likely have one of the widest selections of launch features of any recent MMO (assuming you consider the relaunch an actual launch).

Personally the introduction of player housing and the return of the summoner job is all it took for me to put the scars of 1.0 to rest.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

I dunno, I dont think it was all that bad.

Problematic? Yes.

Worst game ever? No.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by birdycephon

Problematic? Yes.

Worst game ever? No.

Well, I personally judged it based on it's place in the genre i.e. AAA MMO from a big name big budget studio with nearly a decade of experience with MMO's. In that regard, it was easily the worst MMO I've ever played in my 10 years playing them.

Thankfully, none of that really matters at this point. I shall completely forget that 1.0 existed in any form and treat the launch of ARR like a whole new game. I just hope my fellow gamers are willing to do the same and give it a second chance.

Originally posted by ezpz77

Problematic? Yes.

Worst game ever? No.

Well, I personally judged it based on it's place in the genre i.e. AAA MMO from a big name big budget studio with nearly a decade of experience with MMO's. In that regard, it was easily the worst MMO I've ever played in my 10 years playing them.

Thankfully, none of that really matters at this point. I shall completely forget that 1.0 existed in any form and treat the launch of ARR like a whole new game. I just hope my fellow gamers are willing to do the same and give it a second chance.

Indeed, XIV was the worst AAA release of all time when you mark up all the features they got wrong, and though I am bemused by those that try to defend it, (I guess it takes all sorts) and it is important to learn the lessons of such failure, a great many of the general mmo public are dismissive of Yoshida's attempts at a reboot. Now I admit he has a massive challenge, and won't get everything right, as there simply is too much to correct and so much to learn, but I just ask for an open mind.

OPEN YOUR MIND... OPEN YOUR MIIIIINDDDD...

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by zevni78
    Originally posted by ezpz77

Problematic? Yes.

Worst game ever? No.

Indeed, XIV was the worst AAA release of all time when you mark up all the features they got wrong, and though I am bemused by those that try to defend it, (I guess it takes all sorts) and it is important to learn the lessons of such failure, a great many of the general mmo public are dismissive of Yoshida's attempts at a reboot. Now I admit he has a massive challenge, and won't get everything right, as there simply is too much to correct and so much to learn, but I just ask for an open mind.

OPEN YOUR MIND... OPEN YOUR MIIIIINDDDD...

Even worse than APB?

Even worse than APB?

Yes, failed mmos typically have 2 or 3 huge problems, with XIV it was millions of little things that ground you down. You couldn't find solace in anything, as there was always bad UI or control or gameplay mechanics in the way.

• MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

Thank you everyone who replied. I'm just glad I didn't go crazy and didn't imagine it all. Very curious now though to see it relaunch as I was always curious about the game, but stayed away because of the Forum full of warnings. I really hope this overhaul will make the game more enjoyable for everyone and also give me the opportunity to try it out.

Originally posted by Michiel

Thank you everyone who replied. I'm just glad I didn't go crazy and didn't imagine it all. Very curious now though to see it relaunch as I was always curious about the game, but stayed away because of the Forum full of warnings. I really hope this overhaul will make the game more enjoyable for everyone and also give me the opportunity to try it out.

I wish you all the best, hope to see you in game.