Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAoC 2 - Would you play it?

14567810»

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    LOL at mythic.
  • Galelimos13Galelimos13 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I do not have faith that Mythic could do it .....but yes I would try it
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Mythic don't exist anymore, you would be putting your faith in ea.

Anyway I highly recommend planetside 2 to other ex daocers, its certainly scratching my rvr itch very nicely. Sadly I don't think we will ever see another mmo that replicates daocs excellent completley instance free pve, well possibly everquest 3 but then I would expect that to be poor in the pvp department.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Another thing they could do. Add 4th faction based on Welsh mythology / the mabinogion

The fourth faction would destroy the RvR balance. And most of the Welsh myth is found in various zones in Albion anyway.

I would of course play it, but I'd probably hate it, because it'll probably be made by EA, and EA has no idea what makes a good MMO.

If it was a piece for piece remake of DAoC circa 2002, with no ToA, no /level 20, no instances, traditional archer classes (not the mages of present game) and deep classes, massive raids open to all...

Then yeah. The only thing they'd really need to change would be making leveling a bit faster. But if they add instances, and quest based leveling, get rid of the death penalty, then no. Let it rot.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Yes i will play DAOC2. Why ? Because DAOC 1 is the best game ever. Just freaking keep RVR, put HD graphics and some pve content and its a win. 

It's kind of a shame that DAoC is only remembered for its RvR.

In reality, DAoC had near perfect air tight game balance across all its spheres of play. It never needed instancing, or zoning to lock people out of raids, the crafting was deep and gave people a lot to do. There were a myriad of small things you could do outside of PvE and PvP to take a break with. You could start a PvE guild and focus on all the raids and dungeons DAoC had (many of which were only beaten once or twice per server) or if you wanted to purely do PvP, you could get the best gear from crafters instead of having to raid for it.

The raid gear was comparable to crafted gear, but looked prettier. So, people did raids for FUN, not as a chore. You'd go on a raid and if you won, you got a random chance at some pretty loot. If not, oh well, off into RvR!

I don't think even Mythic understood how near flawless their game design was. Especially considering how they ruined it with nearly every update.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Hefaistos
    Yes i will play DAOC2. Why ? Because DAOC 1 is the best game ever. Just freaking keep RVR, put HD graphics and some pve content and its a win. 

What is currently stopping you from returning to DAoC and what is it about a newer version that you feel would be different while still being the DAoC 2 that you seek?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Hefaistos

What is currently stopping you from returning to DAoC and what is it about a newer version that you feel would be different while still being the DAoC 2 that you seek?

The current version of DAoC lacks just about all the things that once made DAoC great. It feels more like WoW than DAoC now, except it's WoW with an old engine.

There's icons over all the NPCs, hand holding quest based level grind, instanced raids, all the classes have way too many abilities and almost all of them are magic users now. There's no grouping or socializing anymore. What made DAoC special is no longer present.

A new DAoC is a chance to return to what was great, and get rid of all the modern "improvements".

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I'd play a DAOC 2 in a instant, heck I'd resub to Daoc if they simply did a rehaul similar to what Darkfall was doing and improved the many features in Daoc that just feel(and are) dated.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Yes, but it would be ruined though. No one gets anything right now.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    DAOC 2 is going to be called "ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Will believe it when I see it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• scarfullscarfull Member Posts: 61
    Heck yea I would play.

• KuroiKuroi Member UncommonPosts: 29

Play the best game ever?

Hells yes.

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Yes- Loved it and was sad when wowhammer pulled alot of players away.

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

WOW, necro after necro.  Kudos for keeping hope alive.

Anyway, I think anybody who played DAOC during its heyday (myself included) would cheerfully agree that DAOC 2 would be about the best damned thing to come to MMOs since, well, DAOC.  Of course I would play, and pay, gladly.

Couple of hurdles though:

First, you have to get the band back together.  This, put plainly, isn't going to happen.  You take the talented folks who worked at Mythic over the life of the first game--a game that's now eleven years old--and track them all down today, and you'll find a lot of families that have completely relocated, some people in completely different industries.  To be fair, you don't have to recruit every Tom, Dick, and Harry that worked on the original, but you've got to at least get the idea people.  Jacobs has been out of EA's reach for a few years now, and Firor is working on TESO--which is to say, your competition (and that's as good an argument I've seen as to how TESO might actually be a spiritual successor anyway, but that's a different issue), to say nothing of all the talented designers, programmers, artists, writers, community folks, and others who made the game what it was, both good and bad.

But let's assume for sake of argument that as rumored among faithless rabid MMO fans, Jacobs has lost his vision, and no amount of electroconvulsive therapy could restore his competence as a game designer.  So you could--hypothetically anyway--get your dream team of developers and content producers to make this vision the genre tyrant it by all accounts ought to be.  And hey, I'm sure since things went so great the last time they worked on an MMO, let's see if we can get Salvatore and McFarlane on this thing too.  Cool.  Wait; who owns the license?  Right, EA.  So you've got your hand-picked staff who have all left their current employment, relocated cross-country, and assembled in a holy game design cloister, and they can't even turn on a computer until EA gives them the go ahead.  Anybody think they'll sell the rights?  Me neither.  So you're going to have to license it, and that's an absolute best-case scenario.  More likely you're going to end up brokering a kind of McQuaid-SOE eldritch abomination of a deal that puts you basically in the same position Mythic is in today, which is to say, you're EA's bitch.  Can't win'em all.

Well, maybe EA is having a good year, their coffers are stuffed due to all the money they're making from SWTO--um, I mean, uh... ... Madden, I guess. I dunno.  Let's just say they're happy.  So due to the devout consecrations of the DAOC vestals who have been flagellating themselves for the last decade in preparation for this perfect storm of difficulties, God has seen fit to part the waters, and you've actually got a green light to get this thing off the ground.  And why not, let's assume EA throws a big fat stack of cash in your lap to boot.

This game is actually going to happen:  So what does it look like?  If everybody on this one thread on mmorpg.com can agree on what aspects of DAOC should stay or go, I'll sell my house to pitch in on the DAOC 2 kickstarter.  I mean, we pretty much all agree that we want Old Frontiers, right?  'cause it was better, apparently, for reasons that are perfectly clear but no one can ever quite articulate.  DF stays, TOA goes, and really anything other than DF past Cata goes, right?  Surely we all agree that we can't have Vampiirs running around in DAOC 2.  Nobody ever liked them, right?  Too bad DAOC 2 won't have Warlocks.  I thought they were pretty neat... oh well!

So since there's no disagreement, we can count on everybody who ever played DAOC to sub right u--wait, we're having subscriptions, right?  I mean, there's literally no basis whatsoever to figure out how to do a cash shop for this game.  People have expectations based on the first game about what kinds of things should be accessible without additional cost.  And Lord knows we don't want to botch the job like SWT--ow! Shit!  Sorry EA Overlords, I meant, um, some other game with a total PR trainwreck on F2P.  Well... at least we can go the GW2 route, right?  Sell boxes and expansions and then nickel-and-dime folks for convenience in between, right?  I mean, we've got to turn a profit on this thing.  It's the most anticipated MMO in years.  And believe me, they'll pay.  Best case scenario, we hit the sweet spot like Riot did and have a sustainable revenue model that doesn't insult our playerbase.

Now you've got your game, your revenue model, and what do you know, you even made the development deadline the EA gods set for you.  This is going to be the greatest game that there ever was!

Shit, Titan just came out.

Peace and safety.

• lilwinslilwins Member Posts: 114
    Replied no because it isn't Mythic anymore, so no.
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

This is the good kind of necro.  Hell yeah I would pay for it and play it.  The same core game with updated visuals and interface mechanics would be amazing.

I really miss the time when DAoC was fresh, new and shiny.  I still go back now and then just to play for a while.  You can actually get it to look pretty nice if you force things through your drivers..  But that's still an opinion from someone that started playing RPGs when they were text-only. 

I know we'll never see a DAoC 2, but it's still cool to think about.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I will play it to test the game.

But I don't think Mythic will ever do a good job on DAOC 2.

Just look at WAR and SWTOR lol.

They just have a 1 hit wonder.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• jayndsunjayndsun Member Posts: 14

I'd play in a heartbeat!

Classic servers were sooo much fun but then everyone wanted to have bots again and they went caput :(