Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition to Launch Today

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

While not an MMO, Baldur's Gate holds a lot of fond memories for many MMO players. Today marks a seminal date in the game's history with the official launch of the 'Enhanced Edition' at 3 p.m. EST/Noon PST. Players will be able to grab BGEE for $19.99 and can play via Google Play with more platform editions to be added later.

Want to know what makes Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition special? Check out our PAX Preview!

Head to the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition site for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Looking forward to getting this .
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    doesn't look much better imo, I don't think they should be using the word enhanced when it looks so minimal.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Woot!

Joined - July 2004

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Funny, I took a peek on their website this (EU) morning and nothing there yet. Lets give it a new peek then in a couple of hours...
  • Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Baldurs Gate has been abandonware for over a decade.  How dare they charge 20$ for a rehash?
  • FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    Originally posted by Saur0n
    Baldurs Gate has been abandonware for over a decade.  How dare they charge 20$ for a rehash?

More like a rerelease. The founder of Overhaul games is one of the original devs from the first make of BG1. He finally got back the license so he can update the pixelation for widescreen monitors and make improvements, along with adding more content and better voice overs.

I am going to purchase as soon as I get home from work. 

Overhauls next project is BG2.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

There is additional content added as well as some fixes.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Falcomith

More like a rerelease. The founder of Overhaul games is one of the original devs from the first make of BG1. He finally got back the license so he can update the pixelation for widescreen monitors and make improvements, along with adding more content and better voice overs.

Between these getting updated and Project Eternity from Obisidian (Whenever it gets released..) I'm going to be quite happy for a while I think :)

Originally posted by Falcomith

That explains why I saw Fallout 1 & 2 on the Beamdog website as sale as well. Perhaps those 2 classics will be overhauled as well soon..?

[EDIT]

Thinking about it... Lets hope Planescape Torment will be overhauled soon as well. Now that would be awesome to be re-released!

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I am happy about old games getting love, but I am not happy about such a steep price tag for said old games. Just seems silly imo.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It's a must have for me.

Replaying it after all those years with a bit new stuff will be cool. I hope enough support might case some people to think of making a new BG game or go more back to these sort of RPGs.

YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

It's a must have for me.

Replaying it after all those years with a bit new stuff will be cool. I hope enough support might case some people to think of making a new BG game or go more back to these sort of RPGs.

Some more love for the old (epic) RPGs is needed indeed. Way to many older RPGs can't be played well these days on our PCs :(

Also worth to mention that there's a BG2 remake for Dragon Age going on as well now -> http://www.gamersnexus.net/bgr-home. One I'm eagerly waiting for as well...

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

Epic game! When Bioware was Bioware!

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Definitely on my list games I want to replay but right now I am going through the Mass Effect trilogy. Then I'll be hitting up some Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2 again.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Corthala

Ummm wasn't this game Black Isle Studio and not Bioware?

• sardaukar101sardaukar101 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Originally posted by Corthala

Ummm wasn't this game Black Isle Studio and not Bioware?

No. Bioware Developed it. Black Isle Studio/Interplay published it.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

While I loved this entire series.... $20 is an insult to the fans.  It may have been "enhanced" but unless they put everyone to include the UI and scenerey and wrapped them in delicious DX10, then $10 would be more than adequate to rerelease this game.

Compared to graphics of today's games, subpar... I would have expected more.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It would be problematic to change the graphics to something much more modern and risk losing the original feel as well. I just loaded up BG2 to compare it, and that trailer does look much cleaner and less pixelated, though I guess that's the only thing you can really tell (don't know how much they've changed gameplay wise).

Does the $20 pay for both the BG1 & 2 + expansions and everything? In that case I'd say it's worth it.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• demacydemacy Member UncommonPosts: 2

I'm very excited for the EE, I was just playing the original a few months age wishing I could play in widescreen.

I'm also glad they didn't mess with the graphics to much because that would have made it cost far more and be completely unnecessary.

Can't imagine why people who don't like old school games waste there time posting about how much they don't like a thing.

I mean some people actually do a thing they dislike, then tell everyone how much they hate it.

You got to hand it to the trailer trash that walk all the way to the library to use a computer just to post their negative support for things they dislike, that's commitment.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I want BG 3. dx11 fancy shiny gfx, same old solid gameplay. Can't be too hard a sell right??? The only one of those oldies that i could buy as an "enhanced" version is Planescape due to the fact that it's such a pain to run on modern computers...Shiny smooth genius dialogue Torment *drool*.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• JCBNJCBN Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Bought and Downloading right now, alltho slowly!
  • TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I'm not really interested in playing this (again) on the PC. However, playing this with a touch interface on my iPad 3? Oh yeah!

Given the iPad version is also half the entry price (the other half is IAPs for voice and icon packs if I recall), it is a great deal as well.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by Elikal

It's a must have for me.

Some more love for the old (epic) RPGs is needed indeed. Way to many older RPGs can't be played well these days on our PCs :(

Also worth to mention that there's a BG2 remake for Dragon Age going on as well now -> http://www.gamersnexus.net/bgr-home. One I'm eagerly waiting for as well...

Would LOVE to see this DA version of BG2!!!!

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    I just don't see the minor graphics update and a couple of new chars which I would really like to see and play with worth $20 for a 14 year old game.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Great if you've never played it.. new audiences and all that. Good if you are dead certain you want to play basically the same game again also. Pointless if you have already played it and are expecting something new here or already have it since you have been able to get free mods for just about everything that this 'enhanced' version does anyway.. much much more than this version offers actually.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.