Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Main Concern

Comments

• MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

The name has grown on many a fans of the game and will remain as it was concieved.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by Mogus Wow,  so I see our friend Brash has made an appearance here as well. It's hard for me to knock Brash because I know her cynicism stems from a failed effort at her own projects in the past so she finds it impossible to understand how someone else could achieve what she hasn't. I'm sure in time Brash will become as big a supporter of Greed Monger as she is currently a naysayer. It's been pointed out everywhere that we have purchased assets from other modelers and developers and thankfully, many of you seem to understand how commonplace the practice really is. If there is a 3D model, animations or scripts that you can purchase somewhere instead of paying $30-$60 an hour to create from scratch, WHY NOT?! :) I have thousands of dollars in assets I've purchased to get our programmers started on various elements of the game. I also have lots of custom assets being developed right now by multiple artists. It's just how things are done, especially for an indie team like ourselves. As for the combat demo, yes, it's been taking a while because Greed Mongers development focus hasn't been strictly on a demo for combat to appease a few people. Our focus has been on the most important aspecs of project such as world size, development, server side programming, planning and world building. I have a team of full time programmers currently working on their own projects within the game world and only one working on the combat demo on the side. I assumed we would be able to have one ready before the campaign ended but honestly, it's just not been our primary focus. I completely understand if you prefer to wait to pledge or support the game before seeing the combat. The fact is, our combat system is pretty in depth and there is no way to develop the system in a months time. I could show you a video of my toon blasting something some with spells until it dies, but that's nowhere near representative of what the final system will be like and in the MMO world, as soon as you show anything, thats it! It's cast in stone and accepted or rejected as is. It's not worth the hassle. We are focused on doing everything we can to ensure we host an Alpha Test phase for our Kickstarter backers. That's our goal and thats what we are doing, maybe you should wait until then to find out if the game is worth your interest. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to visit our forums and engage the community. You will find lots of information there that may hold you over a while. Thank you all!  

That seems a little needlessly acerbic to be directed at some random forum-goer. As a developer now, you should be above attacks on naysayers and grow thicker skin. If EA employees took every negative comment to heart, they would've all hung themselves long ago. Just a thought.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by xDayx

In addition Brash I find it odd how someone would be so obsessed with badmouthing a indie mmo. If its a bad game then so be it. It wouldn't be the 1st time an indie studio promised more than they can chew off. In other words why spend soooo much time not liking how a developer didn't seem candid enuf for you. Besides you don't have to back it if you don't want. 

And as a final thought, be kind to people rather than being hellbent on tearing them down. Try not to be hateful for a change. Yeah you may lose out on 164 hours of trolling on various mmo sites, but it may get you further in the RL afterlife if you try not to be hateful.

Sounds like she tried to do a project or something and failed - so now she will just bash others.....

Blognorg,

my post, though seemingly aggressive was merely an assumption based on what I've witnessed as Brash has made many of these attempts on multiple forums. She stated on another forum that she had made an effort in creating a game of her own and failed. I wasn't attacking her, just re-stating what she has said herself elsewhere.

I really dont know why she has taken it upon herself to attack me and our game development efforts other than her own self loathing for her previous failures and her jealousy of what others are accomplishing that she couldn't. I KNOW, that sounds bad! But I just call it how I see it. If she didn't want people to have that perception of her, then she shouldn't be trying so hard  to use her failures as a cause for doubt in what others are doing.

I honestly have no real ill will towards Brash (though it appears that way) and hope instead of viewing what I'm doing as a threat or something that angers her, maybe she will recalibrate her goals and make a better effort to achieve what she had set out to in the past and find better success. I'd even be willing to lend a hand where possible.

It just is what it is I guess.

www.greedmonger.com

Originally posted by Mogus Blognorg,  my post, though seemingly aggressive was merely an assumption based on what I've witnessed as Brash has made many of these attempts on multiple forums. She stated on another forum that she had made an effort in creating a game of her own and failed. I wasn't attacking her, just re-stating what she has said herself elsewhere. I really dont know why she has taken it upon herself to attack me and our game development efforts other than her own self loathing for her previous failures and her jealousy of what others are accomplishing that she couldn't. I KNOW, that sounds bad! But I just call it how I see it. If she didn't want people to have that perception of her, then she shouldn't be trying so hard  to use her failures as a cause for doubt in what others are doing. I honestly have no real ill will towards Brash (though it appears that way) and hope instead of viewing what I'm doing as a threat or something that angers her, maybe she will recalibrate her goals and make a better effort to achieve what she had set out to in the past and find better success. I'd even be willing to lend a hand where possible. It just is what it is I guess.    

I wasn't implying that you wished her ill will. I was just letting you know that your response came off as a little petty. You're running a successful Kickstarter and are living your dream. Why concern yourself with haters? Don't be another LeBron James ;-)

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Mogus

Blognorg,

my post, though seemingly aggressive was merely an assumption based on what I've witnessed as Brash has made many of these attempts on multiple forums. She stated on another forum that she had made an effort in creating a game of her own and failed. I wasn't attacking her, just re-stating what she has said herself elsewhere.

I really dont know why she has taken it upon herself to attack me and our game development efforts other than her own self loathing for her previous failures and her jealousy of what others are accomplishing that she couldn't. I KNOW, that sounds bad! But I just call it how I see it. If she didn't want people to have that perception of her, then she shouldn't be trying so hard  to use her failures as a cause for doubt in what others are doing.

I honestly have no real ill will towards Brash (though it appears that way) and hope instead of viewing what I'm doing as a threat or something that angers her, maybe she will recalibrate her goals and make a better effort to achieve what she had set out to in the past and find better success. I'd even be willing to lend a hand where possible.

It just is what it is I guess.

Wow. Hypocrisy much? That was pretty sad there guy.

It's sad that you come here and bash people like that, regardless of their motives, developers should be above that crap. It seems you have at least two on your team (yourself included) that like to do just that.

Bottom line is, she made very valid points. Perhaps she was, as you say, "calling it like she sees it". Your only video shows things you PAID FOR. What looks impressive at first is just a collection of internet purchases and I'm glad I found out before tossing you my cash. You haven't proven to be competent for the job, only that you're a good online shopper.

My advice would be to focus on the development of your game instead of bashing people here, it makes you and your company look bad.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Zekiah,

that wasn't bashing her.

If you tell me your cat has an ugly mole on it's face and I then repeat it, am I insulting your cat?

Brash explained her past failures in another forum thread. I simply re-counted what she has said previously.

lol this is getting silly.

I've simply taken the information I've been presented with and formed a conclusion. Nothing more.

As far as assets, here is an update that may interest some of you

Look, as far as I'm concerned, Brash is neither here nor there. Wish you all the best.

www.greedmonger.com

Zekiah,

that wasn't bashing her.

If you tell me your cat has an ugly mole on it's face and I then repeat it, am I insulting your cat?

Brash explained her past failures in another forum thread. I simply re-counted what she has said previously.

I've simply taken the information I've been presented with and formed a conclusion. Nothing more.

Look, as far as I'm concerned, Brash is neither here nor there. Wish you all the best.

Regardless of what she has said in the past, you're using that against her as your defense. She has simply stated FACTS about your game and you turn around and use personal information to bash her. It's that simple, and sad. Developers need to be above those kinds of tactics in order to be successful.

As far as the link goes, I see some blueprints. So what? For all we know, you purchased those online too.

But I do agree, it's getting silly. Can't believe you even partake in these discussions, I'd be trying to code if I were you.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• dracomundracomun Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by Zekiah

Zekiah,

that wasn't bashing her.

Regardless of what she has said in the past, you're using that against her as your defense. She has simply stated FACTS about your game and you turn around and use personal information to bash her. It's that simple, and sad. Developers need to be above those kinds of tactics in order to be successful.

As far as the link goes, I see some blueprints. So what? For all we know, you purchased those online too.

But I do agree, it's getting silly. Can't believe you even partake in these discussions, I'd be trying to code if I were you.

I'm confused by you zekaih, While i wouldn't touch this game why wouldn't a devolper defend his game that someone ( Brash) is so set on destroying without even knowing much about it. In the end we are all people and when its something you invested your time and money into your going to have strong feelings over it when others blindly react negatively towards it.  From the few minutes i've read on the game it also appears as if Jason isn't a programmer himself he just leads the design on the game so him posting on forums to talk  to mmo players and defend his game makes sense. You honestly just come off as a very bitter person. 

Originally posted by dracomun

Originally posted by Mogus Zekiah,  that wasn't bashing her. If you tell me your cat has an ugly mole on it's face and I then repeat it, am I insulting your cat? Brash explained her past failures in another forum thread. I simply re-counted what she has said previously. lol this is getting silly. I've simply taken the information I've been presented with and formed a conclusion. Nothing more. As far as assets, here is an update that may interest some of you Look, as far as I'm concerned, Brash is neither here nor there. Wish you all the best.  
    Regardless of what she has said in the past, you're using that against her as your defense. She has simply stated FACTS about your game and you turn around and use personal information to bash her. It's that simple, and sad. Developers need to be above those kinds of tactics in order to be successful. As far as the link goes, I see some blueprints. So what? For all we know, you purchased those online too. But I do agree, it's getting silly. Can't believe you even partake in these discussions, I'd be trying to code if I were you.
      I'm confused by you zekaih, While i wouldn't touch this game why wouldn't a devolper defend his game that someone ( Brash) is so set on destroying without even knowing much about it. In the end we are all people and when its something you invested your time and money into your going to have strong feelings over it when others blindly react negatively towards it.  From the few minutes i've read on the game it also appears as if Jason isn't a programmer himself he just leads the design on the game so him posting on forums to talk  to mmo players and defend his game makes sense. You honestly just come off as a very bitter person. 

Why wouldn't you touch this game? I can understand not wanting to throw money at the Kickstarter, but it's just in its infancy, and it seems a little early to judge the final product. It's going to be free to play with no cash shop. You would lose nothing to try it out, yet you refuse to, even though it's barely in development. I'm not sure Zekaih is the bitter one here.

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130

I am not going to multiquote.  I am sure that most of you have read what has been said on this thread.  I don't blame Mogus for replying the way he did.  He was defending his project as he should.  You may criticize his words but that is just the way he is.  He does not mince words.  He does not spin and hype, and it is that quality of his that will make the project a success.  The project has had a tremendously successful Kickstarter campaign.  Every single backer is convinced that the final product will be excellent.  If Mogus has one good quality, it is his candidness with the game community.  That is something that is rare and refreshing in this gaming world of ours.

However, you don't have to take my word for it.  All you have to do is go to the Greed Monger forums and look at all the information that is being posted by the development team there, as well as the honest enthusiasm being demonstrated by the growing Community.  Frankly, I have not witnessed such enthusiasm since the pre-beta phase of UO.  The Community is not in the dark,  far from it.  We are being informed about most aspects of development.  We are listened to and as development progresses we are seeing many of our suggestions being brought to fruition as the game takes shape.  It is a very rewarding feeling that other developers tend to deny their fans. 

Yes, call me a FanGirl, I don't mind.  The only reason I am posting is because having seen what has been written here and elsewhere, I believe there is a concerted effort to denigrate this project.  The reasons?  I have no clue, but I can say this, there is a very real caring attitude within every member of the GM development team.  Those of you who are bashing, should take a look at the site forums. I am confident that if you do, you will realize why the Kickstarter campaign has been so successful and what the grassroots feelings are for the game.  Try finding that elsewhere.   I think you will have a hard time doing so.  Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Originally posted by blognorg

Originally posted by Mogus Zekiah,  that wasn't bashing her. If you tell me your cat has an ugly mole on it's face and I then repeat it, am I insulting your cat? Brash explained her past failures in another forum thread. I simply re-counted what she has said previously. lol this is getting silly. I've simply taken the information I've been presented with and formed a conclusion. Nothing more. As far as assets, here is an update that may interest some of you Look, as far as I'm concerned, Brash is neither here nor there. Wish you all the best.  
    Regardless of what she has said in the past, you're using that against her as your defense. She has simply stated FACTS about your game and you turn around and use personal information to bash her. It's that simple, and sad. Developers need to be above those kinds of tactics in order to be successful. As far as the link goes, I see some blueprints. So what? For all we know, you purchased those online too. But I do agree, it's getting silly. Can't believe you even partake in these discussions, I'd be trying to code if I were you.

Why wouldn't you touch this game? I can understand not wanting to throw money at the Kickstarter, but it's just in its infancy, and it seems a little early to judge the final product. It's going to be free to play with no cash shop. You would lose nothing to try it out, yet you refuse to, even though it's barely in development. I'm not sure Zekaih is the bitter one here.

Thats a very simple question to answer.  I don't support any free to play game with a subscription option. I'm just a believer in either a sub or a micro transaction. and before you ask what game I currently play to try and throw something in my face i currently don't play an mmo's.

Zekiah,

that wasn't bashing her.

"her own self loathing for her previous failures and her jealousy of what others are accomplishing that she couldn't."

Defending your game is fine. Defending your game by degrading others is not. That's not defending at all but rather offending.

She brought up valid points and I had concerns before reading what she posted. I couldn't put my finger on it but something didn't seem right. Now I know.

If people want to support this project then fine, I have no issues with that. What I take issue with are devs that come to MMORPG.com and bash members to defend their projects. I don't care if I'm a fan of the game or not, devs shouldn't do that and I don't understand why people can't see that. If devs want to lay out facts and information then great, but bashing members and using that as a defense is deplorable. Makes the industry look bad IMO.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Zekiah,

that wasn't bashing her.

"her own self loathing for her previous failures and her jealousy of what others are accomplishing that she couldn't."

Defending your game is fine. Defending your game by degrading others is not. That's not defending at all but rather offending.

She brought up valid points and I had concerns before reading what she posted. I couldn't put my finger on it but something didn't seem right. Now I know.

If people want to support this project then fine, I have no issues with that. What I take issue with are devs that come to MMORPG.com and bash members to defend their projects. I don't care if I'm a fan of the game or not, devs shouldn't do that and I don't understand why people can't see that. If devs want to lay out facts and information then great, but bashing members and using that as a defense is deplorable. Makes the industry look bad IMO.

All verbal bashing is bad.  Regardless of who it comes from. No good comes of it on either side. We all should learn to control our tongues and emotions.

Thats a very simple question to answer.  I don't support any free to play game with a subscription option. I'm just a believer in either a sub or a micro transaction. and before you ask what game I currently play to try and throw something in my face i currently don't play an mmo's.

I wasn't aware that it had a subscription option. As far as I know, there only the land purchasing and trading. Do you have a reference? Regardless, to claim you'll never touch a game based on one (alleged) feature without even trying it, let alone it not even being out yet, still sounds like bitterness to me. Isn't that what you criticized Brash for? Condemnation without enough information.

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

We wish nothing against Brash or any one else who is Negative against Greed Monger. We are a small indie team setting out to build our Dream MMO that we would want to play just as much as those in our Community would want to play. We hope one day we will be able to meet Brash, and all those who talked badly about us, in game! Brash and a few others have been following us around from Forum to Forum speaking badly about us for no apparant reason other then simply not liking what we are trying to do. Which is fine! Everyone has a right to free speech and can form whatever opinions they want of us. When it starts crossing the line is when their talking starts hurting our funding chances that we have been working our butts off to get over the last month.

Jason, My self, and the rest of the team have stayed up countless hours sometimes to 3 or 4 in the morning discussing aspects of the game and working on code and other things so we can get information out to you guys as quickly as possible. Before KickStarter even got underway I spent days at a time staying up all night and just getting a few hours of sleep in during the day just to get the stuff needed for KickStarter done. I can personally tell you guys that our KickStarter wasn't a rushed event where we bought all the assets and threw together a scene in a couple hours time like some would have you to believe.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Sandbox players griefing indie companies that are trying to get out the gate. Nothing new about this, but your devouring your own genre here when its trying to expand. And people wonder why no major AAA companies are making these games, the fans are like cannabils.
  • Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Zekiah,

that wasn't bashing her.

Sounds like someone else is the bitter one here....  Go find me another MMO out there where you can customize your blueprints and make your own floorplans for the house you want....

• nutsoddsnutsodds Member Posts: 89

Ok This game looks quite limited

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/104212-3dFoin-Professional-Dragon-Model/page2 Anyone can buy and use this stuff so how does that make them unique? lol

So that may be why they are going with such a low budget as they need very few funds to buy more stuff to put in game.
     http://u3d.as/content/dexsoft-games/wealthy-medieval-citizen/2Ez
     They're buying off of the unity website

Here is all their prefab housing. http://u3d.as/content/dexsoft-games/medieval-slum-construction-kit/1CN That's why you will place it than build it.

Weapons !!! lol http://u3d.as/content/bsr/ancient-weapons-pack/1u1 10 bucks

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

Zekiah,

that wasn't bashing her.

Sounds like someone else is the bitter one here....  Go find me another MMO out there where you can customize your blueprints and make your own floorplans for the house you want....

Xsyon :)

The prefab stuff, wow. You guys are going to get ripped a new one for using prefab stuff and to beat all you don't list anything about redoing/overhauling it with funds from kickstarter. So nothing unique to your game, just models that anyone can buy and use for the unity engine. Do you have plans to do your own models for the game or just rely on finding and buying models that work in the unity engine?

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    No great enthusiast here, but ripping on the game for using premade assets is foolish.  It's one of the main ways that a smaller independant project can move forward easily.  Not recreating the wheel and all.   If the game play and design is good, advanced art assets can wait.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

The name has grown on many a fans of the game and will remain as it was concieved.

IE, started out with a poor name, and am now stuck with it, as changing names is also a bad idea.

But that can't be admitted to, as that's a bad idea as well.

Hope you learned from it, and work on getting your ducks in a row better in the future.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

I wasn't aware that it had a subscription option. As far as I know, there only the land purchasing and trading. Do you have a reference? Regardless, to claim you'll never touch a game based on one (alleged) feature without even trying it, let alone it not even being out yet, still sounds like bitterness to me. Isn't that what you criticized Brash for? Condemnation without enough information.

Since your obv to lazy to do any research yourself its very apparent you are a troll. Who calls a Sub fee + micro transactions a "feature". Here is a quote from JAson on subs and ill link it also but i copied the quote so u didn't have to do any actual research yourself. 

Jason M. Appleton (F&AM)

Once you've sold your Kickstarter plots you would not be able to to purchase more beyond the post launch parcel limit. There is no limit currently to help Kickstarter backers have a higher chance of a return on their investment but its kind of a one time deal. There will be an optional subscription you can join at launch to increase your parcel limit.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/appleton/greed-monger-a-crafting-focused-sandbox-mmorpg/comments

Theres also a post on the Offical Forums about ideas for the subscription. The only thing concrete is there will be an additional subscription offered to players if they desire that will include extras. These always lead to imbalanced gaming for the f2p crowd and I can only speak for myself but ruin the overall exp of the game. 

• Zeke_greeneZeke_greene Member Posts: 2
    An interesting thought, didn't Wurm, the game who's forums Brash posted all that in, just buy some premade assets for their game recently? I may be remembering wrong, but...
    Originally posted by Zeke_greene
    An interesting thought, didn't Wurm, the game who's forums Brash posted all that in, just buy some premade assets for their game recently? I may be remembering wrong, but...

Thats a bit different imo, Wurm is an established game that isnt running a kickstarter to raise money for a game in devolpment. I have no problem with what Brash posted i think it is a good thing overall. More info is never bad. Just don't be upset when the person who spent time and money on the project you bash defends there project.