Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important is playing at peak hours?

SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Started up yesterday and was wondering about this before I played and unfortunately found my worries to be accurate from experience. I went on a high pop eu server (Desolation) and started playing at about 3pm.  My leveling experience from 1-5 involved mostly killing creatures for unlocking weapon skills and doing the main quests that I remember from being in the last beta weekend. I think from 1-5 I done 2 possibly 3 events with both of them being just me on my own or with one more player.. nearly died on my first one protecting crops from bandits as I was soloing it. Later on, I decided to make a Warrior and taking advantage of peak times to get all those weapon skill unlocks up, this was at 7pm  and found my 1-5 leveling experienced was completely different than my first character. I think I only done the first quest at the farm then the rest was purely events, events felt far more frequent with plenty more people about. 

Is this me being unlucky and not a problem or something I should take into account when playing the game? Seeing my work hours are varied, I generally tend to play less in peak hours.. is this going to effect my leveling experience much? I don't want to be missing out on cool events because there isn't enough players around for them to even start. 

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

It's a matter of luck. Sometimes, you're surrounded by events and sometimes nothing is going on. I don't think population affects that much, although of course with high pop people will find "hidden" events for you more often.

You may have some problems with group events, though. Some of them are soloable, but many are not and finding enough people to complete them can be difficult.

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    What class would you say is the best for solo then? My elementalist for instance was extremely squishy while my warrior made light work of most things. Seeing as I'll play through most classes, it might be worth me picking a more solo friendly class for the first time. 
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Warrior is a good choice imo for times when there are few other players around. But you can get along with any class in GW2, just keep your equipment up to date and you should be fine for PvE.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I simply don't understand this. I just logged of. it's morning in eu. I pla7y on MEDIUM eu sized server (there are only, 3 of those). Sylvari starting zone and Kessex Hills, lvl 14-16. 3 events I did solo. 2 events I did with 5 other players. I met like 3 to 8 players doing random hearts. Maybe I am simply lucky with meeting people or maybe people yhave expectations to see a zerg doing every de in the game.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Senden
    What class would you say is the best for solo then? My elementalist for instance was extremely squishy while my warrior made light work of most things. Seeing as I'll play through most classes, it might be worth me picking a more solo friendly class for the first time. 

Squishy classes are problematic early on. Warrior is probably the easiest class to start with, because it has the highest HP and the best armor, making it the most durable class passively. Elementalist, on the other hand, has the lowest HP and the lightest armor, so it's on the opposite side of the spectrum. All of them can solo just fine, though, especially after you get decent stats and skills.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

I love the elementalist for soloing, only ranged mobs pose a threat. Currently I'm fooling around with my mesmer, great fun as well. Both classes work better in a group situation of course, but I guess most do. And it's not that much a matter of equipment than statting into the right things when getting trait points (my elem. is toughness/condition damage). I guess that every class can solo very well, I just prefer ranged classes and I seem to end up with light armor types.

Also doing an even with 2-3 people is very doable and often much more fun, as with a few people online they are actually having the same experience and more often feel the need to chat/play together more than when there's 1000 people around. That's my experience (also on Desolation). Add me if you like ^.^ (Freezzo.7910)

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Originally posted by Senden

Squishy classes are problematic early on. Warrior is probably the easiest class to start with, because it has the highest HP and the best armor, making it the most durable class passively. Elementalist, on the other hand, has the lowest HP and the lightest armor, so it's on the opposite side of the spectrum. All of them can solo just fine, though, especially after you get decent stats and skills.

Once you get the hang of elementalist I find it has a way higher skill ceiling than the warrior, with weaving the elements together and using the right skills in certain rotations/at the right time. Then again just my experience.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Areanet created a new gear grind and that is where most of the players are. Is typical for MMO's when new content is added to the end-game the lower level zones die out. It usually rebalances when most of the players have finished the end game and take their alts out again... or the game remains stuck in the endzone and slowly dies from lack of new blood.

There is a reason WoW gives you ways to boost straight to the end game (lvl 80 at least). 

Personally I have long believed this design is one of the major weaknesses of MMO's as they are now.  But people get really addicted to their lvl 666 characters and so the game ends very dead indeed.

Just see games like EQ2. Occasionally you see a high level run past on his way somewhere and that is it for social interaction.

For GW2, off peak hours (when people can't find groups so easily, are actually better for finding people in normal zones.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    If there is no event around you, go talk to the person with the heart over their head. It will start the event they have. Once completed, hang around for a few minutes, they may offer a follow up quest as well. The only ones you may have problems getting into would be the group quests.