Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone like Cata era more than MOP currently?

I never played during Cata but I heard it wasnt that great and MOP is ok, but some things in this exp kinda annoy me:

1.  I know there is always a huge HP/stat increase with every exp, but normal mobs seem to have to much health, thus take longer to  defeat them.

2.  Dont like how they made feral druids so "squishy" now.

3.  The overly asian-theme stereotype of the expansion itself.

4. The million-trillion dailies you got to do (well, I guess you dont have to do)

5. Badge epic gear being blocked by reputation req (thus the forced dailies grind),  and so not being able to get decently geared so LFR.   

Now, havent played some of the Cata 80+ zones,  I do like the questing and lore in those zones and the old world make-over is nice (will miss the old world style though in a way).    Havent played the goblin starting zone though.   I think Cata might have been better than Wotlk.   I heard Cata's heriocs werent steamroll easymode like in Wotlk.   MOPs heriocs seem just right.    I do the new playable race of panda's are nice but their starting zone annoyed me for some reason.   And MOP's pet battle system to me, is kinda pointless but an ok time waster.    I think, overall, I would have to say Cata might have been the better exp (between Cata and MOP).

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I like Cata slightly more than MoP for the high level zones. I thought the elemental themed areas of Cata absolutely rocked. The firelands dailies were annoying though and I did not like the talent revamp for Cata that much. I would have preferred Blizzard expanding on the WotLK talent trees rather than either systems of Cata and MoP.

For MoP, it is a mixed bag for me. There are some things I really like about it and others I don't. I hold it as a slightly worse expac than Cata, but better than WotLK. I haven't engaged in one aspect: the pet battles. The others are ok. I like the fact that Blizzard put in more Alliance vs Horde conflict and also seem to be moving more towards an RPG feel of the new areas, but I have to say that it is very on-rails and the stereotyping of the pandaren is annoying. However, I am glad that we do have an Oriental themed expac since I felt that WoW needed something of that nature.

My order of preference for the expacs (without expanding):

TBC>>Cata>MoP>WotLK.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    WoW died with Arthas

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    WoW died with Arthas

For the people who only liked the lore of the game.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

I never played during Cata but I heard it wasnt that great and MOP is ok, but some things in this exp kinda annoy me:

1.  I know there is always a huge HP/stat increase with every exp, but normal mobs seem to have to much health, thus take longer to  defeat them.

Once your gear is around 380-400, you shouldn't have any trouble killing mobs in a few seconds.  This is assuming you are going full dps spec.

2.  Dont like how they made feral druids so "squishy" now.

This might be because of your gear.  However, feral dps (different then feral guardian) got a slight nerf to their survivability because they were extremely difficult to kill in cata.  However, the kitties are still super strong.

3.  The overly asian-theme stereotype of the expansion itself.

I can understand your complaint.  I personally don't care what the themes are but I haven't paid any attention to the lore since wotlk.

4. The million-trillion dailies you got to do (well, I guess you dont have to do)

I've been told by a few friends that this is their biggest complaint as well.  As somebody who does zero dailies and zero PvE, I cannot give a fair review of the dailies in this xpac.

5. Badge epic gear being blocked by reputation req (thus the forced dailies grind),  and so not being able to get decently geared so LFR.   

I guess Blizzard added another grind lol

Now, havent played some of the Cata 80+ zones,  I do like the questing and lore in those zones and the old world make-over is nice (will miss the old world style though in a way).    Havent played the goblin starting zone though.   I think Cata might have been better than Wotlk.   I heard Cata's heriocs werent steamroll easymode like in Wotlk.   MOPs heriocs seem just right.    I do the new playable race of panda's are nice but their starting zone annoyed me for some reason.   And MOP's pet battle system to me, is kinda pointless but an ok time waster.    I think, overall, I would have to say Cata might have been the better exp (between Cata and MOP).

I've noticed every expansion, players claim how much better the previous one was.  I think this trend will probably continue, whether it is warranted or not.  I remember when wotlk launched and so many players QQing about how Blizzard ruined arena and made it just a zerg-fest.  But now, as we are in MOP, I see a bunch of arena players claiming how much they miss the balance and pace of WOTLK pvp.  I guess people never like to admit when they are having fun in this game but would rather focus on the negatives.  However, that's not to say that some things were simply better in the past.

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    WoW died with Arthas

Yeah... for the rest it dies with Illidan

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79

I've noticed every expansion, players claim how much better the previous one was.  I think this trend will probably continue, whether it is warranted or not.  I remember when wotlk launched and so many players QQing about how Blizzard ruined arena and made it just a zerg-fest.  But now, as we are in MOP, I see a bunch of arena players claiming how much they miss the balance and pace of WOTLK pvp.  I guess people never like to admit when they are having fun in this game but would rather focus on the negatives.  However, that's not to say that some things were simply better in the past..

Its because every expansion blizzard has released has been worse than the one before. Vanilla wow was great, then they released BC which imo was the peak of wow, sinse then it has got worse with every expansion. Its quite dissapointing because Vanilla wow, BC and even LK was a brilliant game, however blizzards direction with this game lately makes absolutely no sense .

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Haven't played MOP, and I probably won't, even if it's free, because I'd still have to get through Cata content. However, the post 80 levels in Cata were awful. I'm not exactly sure what was so bad about them but they were. I could barely get past the initial quests before quitting. The lower level content was good...I started a new character and enjoyed it through about level 35 before trying out the max level content, but man, after trying to get my level 80s to 81, I was done. I'm not sure that MOP could be that bad.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Haven't played MOP, and I probably won't, even if it's free, because I'd still have to get through Cata content. However, the post 80 levels in Cata were awful. I'm not exactly sure what was so bad about them but they were. I could barely get past the initial quests before quitting. The lower level content was good...I started a new character and enjoyed it through about level 35 before trying out the max level content, but man, after trying to get my level 80s to 81, I was done. I'm not sure that MOP could be that bad.

Mount Hyjal is a little slow if that is where you started. It gets a bit better later on in the zone I find, because you start having some intrigue-based quests. The water zone, whose name I can never spell, is a bit more interesting. I of course don't know which zone you chose to go to first, but if it was Mount Hyjal, I would not be surprised that you couldn't get hooked from the initial quests.

However, some of the other areas are just awesome in my opinion. My favourite is Deepholme, the earth-based zone. I thought Blizzard did an excellent job designing that area, and Ulduum (the air zone) is also really well-designed. The stories are fun and interesting, great environments, and there are unique mobs to each of those zones. Some of the dungeons too are pretty cool, much more interesting than the WotLK dungeons which I found so boring and same-y.

By the way, I noted that in MoP the first quests were horrible too and I am not that fond of the Jade Forest area in general, but as I went along it got more interesting.

It is a bit fail on the part of Blizzard to make boring intial quests for their new expacs, but it seems to be a general rule of thumb. In TBC, I hated the first Hellfire Peninsula quests even though that is my favourite expac to date.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007

I liked the whole Arthas storyline. So, lorewise Wrath was the best expansion. They should bring back decaying ranks in pk'ing so we know who really pk's all the time and who just does it once every now and then or grinds it for the armor.

For MoP I was half way through Golden Lotus revered rep as I had to get that to exalted so my shadow pan rep wasn't stuck at honored. Could only make 1 imperial silk per 24h which took about 30 min to farm the mats per 1.  One mote of spirit ever 20 minutes which 6 of could make you do it as much as you wanted. You have to log in short times on a daily basis as oposed to logging in whenever you want and powering through it. So, it's a cheap way to get people to keep playing.

I remember having to farm embersilk in Cata for mooncloth and wasn't limited to 1 every 24 h. So, because you can't power play as well as PvE being dead and raids being just stand there in the one spot and press 1 2 3 1 4 and sometimes 5 it's just been done before and isn't really any point in playing it since alot of things have been simplified.

So, I wouldn't worry about it anymore but thats only because I got full T3 in vanilla which meant alot of hours raiding and it was like a job. Get called at 3am in the morning to do a raid when your asleep, you had to go and do it etc so I won't ever be raiding again in any game just solo pve / gold farming unless it's on a casual basis. Things are alot easier these days.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

I liked the whole Arthas storyline. So, lorewise Wrath was the best expansion. They should bring back decaying ranks in pk'ing so we know who really pk's all the time and who just does it once every now and then or grinds it for the armor.

The lore of Wrath was great. Though I am negative about that expac, I did enjoy certain storylines, especially the one in Howling Fjord where you have to find four artifacts to help out the walrus peeps. That just might be my favourite quest in the entire game!

(snip)

So, I wouldn't worry about it anymore but thats only because I got full T3 in vanilla which meant alot of hours raiding and it was like a job. Get called at 3am in the morning to do a raid when your asleep, you had to go and do it etc so I won't ever be raiding again in any game just solo pve / gold farming unless it's on a casual basis. Things are alot easier these days.

That is one of the main reasons why I refuse to raid too. I raided once in Vanilla and it brought back all of the negative spectres of raiding I had had in previous games, plus one less than cool thing that a lot of people don't mention about Vanilla and TBC is all of the drama that happened when someone didn't get what they wanted in a run. I remember seeing whole guilds fall apart.

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Robokapp

Burning Crusade > All.

and Wrath still sucks.

I loved BC. Can you still not just play to BC and do the game as it is there as opposed to levelling further?

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by ereyethirn
    WoW died with Arthas

For those who know lore either really, really bad or think they know it because they played wc3 campaign.

Edit: Yes, MoP is by far the best expansion yet, for me. It has something for everyone. Literally.

Please don't post pokemon/farm "argument". You just come of as silly.

Originally posted by DonY81

I loved BC. Can you still not just play to BC and do the game as it is there as opposed to levelling further?

It isn't really the same because the classes are so different now. I guess you could stop leveling once you finish all of the TBC content, but at least if I were to do that, I would not get the same feelings now as I did back when TBC was the only expac.

The game has moved on. It is just something we got to accept.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

I value expansions by what new things they bring to the game. Also I am primarily a non-raiding PvE player. So keep that in mind.

I will put aside any discussion on classes as they changed so much during all expansions.

So with that in mind, MOP is one of the best, if not the best, WoW expansion, on par with TBC.

TBC added flight, which was quite innovative at the time, it enlarged and bettered daily quests, the factions linked to them and what rewards you would get from them (Like the nether drakes). They also got their storytelling quite hugely better in TBC and questing got also a huge boost, but Flight really takes the cake for THE most significant addition to WoW. They also added 2 races, one of which is still quite iconic and went through a lot of lore-based stuff (speaking of the blood elves... the poor draenei still feel like the poor red-haired child of the Alliance). Also Jewel crafting and slots.

WoTLK introduced vehicles and vehicle based questing, but not quite well as Cata will do it. They also introduced the idea of changes in the world as patches go by with the Argent Tournament but that was about it. Yes, Death knight was nice and inscription and Glyphs were an interesting addition, but nowhere as important as jewel crafting and slots were in TBC. They also introduced the current looking for dungeon system after going through several dozens of iterations. oh yeah. I guess Wintergrasp came at this point too.

Cata introduced.... mmmh... well. LFR I guess. The quests and vehicle combat got perfected and the areas were nicely done, Storytelling hit a new high with phasing, but nothing of this really changed how the game works or gave you different ways to do things, Cata was quite bland as an expansion come, mostly because good chunk of the time was used to revamp the old world, a worthy effort for sure, but now I start to doubt the effectiveness of it all as we are left with better quests, yes, but a post-diaster world with many iconic places wrecked and it will probably remain like that even in the future, many years after the dead of Deathwing and supposedly after the reconstruction has gone forth for some time. The only profession introduced was Archaeology... which promised much but turned out to be quite little, especially when the Path of the Titans was cut out. 2 races, both quite succesful this time around, yay, beside female worgens looking like chihuahas :P

Finally, MOP. Oh boy. A revamp of the daily system, challenge dungeons, scenarios, pet battles, a new non-heroic class, world bosses, world pvp, a persistent pvp area with conquerable buildings (coming today in 5.1 allegedly), revamp of how the gear progression is supposed to work with the addition of a fully fledged LFR step supplanting the hard-as-hell-in-a-pug heroic dungeons of Cata, upgrading items, the Wrathion quest lines that evolve and tell a full story over many patches but mostly.... it exploded the amount of stuff you can do at level 90. From "Raids-PvP" to "Raids-Scenarios-Challenge Dungeons-World Bosses-Pet Battles-PvP-World PvP". I guess in the end all of this just give you valor points for gear, but I think it is important to have many roads going to the same two goals.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by ereyethirn
    WoW died with Arthas

So unbelievably wrong, till sargeras is downed WoW is very much still alive in terms of lore. There is so much to be explored yet in game, and blizzard also never had a problem creating great new lore. 

Also everything about Cata sucked. Everything, I resubbed 3 times, each time playing tough end game on a new character. Nothing compelled me to keep playing. MoP is the best expansion I have played in terms of gameplay, it truely rivals BC, however I was more into the BC lore, and that caused me to be more immersed.