Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Mistake Like FF14 Would "Destroy" Square- Naoki Yoshida

FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

Another Mistake Like FF14 Would "Destroy" Square

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/27/yoshida-another-mistake-like-ff14-would-destroy-square?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Video%2BAnnotation

Naoki Yoshida has revealed that he feels another mistake like Final Fantasy XIV would end up "destroying" Square Enix.

Speaking with Kotaku, the game's producer and director explained that his team is fully aware of the pressure on them to salvage the brand's reputation following the poor reception the MMO received. He asserted that this was why they were determined not to launch the revamped Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn until they feel the game is ready.

There's still no set launch date for the revamped Final Fantasy XIV, though it's expected to appear around the middle of 2013. The PlayStation 3 version is also still in development, with more details expected on that soon.

Awwww FFXIV, the gift that keeps on giving... since 2010.

Comments

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Another Mistake Like FF14 Would "Destroy" Square... and yet people claimed to have liked it as it was. /baffle

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

Naoki Yoshida's words... not mine, but some fanboy is gonna flag me for posting the article no doubt.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Originally posted by FleshMask
    Naoki Yoshida's words... not mine, but some fanboy is gonna flag me for posting the article no doubt.

oh i know! I personally found no redeeming quality in ff14 1.0 but i can remember people defending it saying things like we just didn't "get it" or we should learn to play it as the developers intended, lol. I hope THOSE devs from 1.0 stay far, far away from whats coming.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

It's funny. When you read the original article on Kotaku, and get everything Yoshi-P says in full and proper context, it has a very reassuring air to it. Kotaku has been known to be harsh (sometimes unfairly so) on FFXIV, yet even the author comes away at the end feeling reassured and impressed by Yoshi's presence and his influence on the game.

Yet, reading IGN's spin on it, it sounds all dire. You can almost hear the storm-clouds gathering as you read it.

I notice how they completely leave out notably positive/reassuring things Yoshi-P said, such as:

"When it comes to his FFXIV, A Realm Reborn, Yoshida believes they are on the right track. He has the best of the best from inside the company to work on this game and they are adamant the game not be released until it is ready." - Yoshi-P

Also notably omitted was any mention of the author's take-away from the interview, which was:

"Coming out of the interview, I found myself more than a little impressed. Yoshida was upfront and frank about the problems of Final Fantasy XIV and the challenges that await Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. But more than that, our short talk left me with faith that if anyone can fix the game, it's him."

It serves as a wonderful example of how a news source can take any story and spin it to make it sound any way they want.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    yeah I added the info from this , this afternoon on the FFXIV arr info thread. I like how Yoshi knows the game was flawed and u love how there not going to release a unfinished product. I expect this to be the greatest FF yet because so much is riding on it

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Why does every RPG property need an MMO version? 
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Why does every RPG property need an MMO version? 

Some people want an mmo is a beloved rpg world. Besides it already worked with FFXI, the problem was that FFXIV neither built on the good ideas of FFXI or just built a solid modern mmo in a FF universe, (which is was ARR is).

Yoshida needs to be this honest and capable of facing reality, if ARR isn’t good then many of us will be done with FF and SE forever, and Yoshi needs to compensate for how long the team under Tanaka couldn’t face reality. (and outright lied, as there was no possible way 1.0 could have ever been released on PS3 as the engine wouldn’t down-scale for it’s RAM).

Now I admit we enjoyed the schadenfreude that was the FFXIV self destruct circus, but its over now, and ARR deserves a fare chance, not us rooting for it to give a repeat performance.