Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The amount of people who settle for Instanced PvP Trash simply amazes me.

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Incredibly ignorant and horribly stated argument. The fact that you don't like it doesn't mean its trash. Some people like a good balanced pvp fight, they don't need rewards just getting in there and pvping on a balanced field.

The same could also be said about OWPVP. There are folks who love it because it has "meaning", they like that constant threat or like to go hunt others. But we could do like you are doing and call it trash because it's basically just a gankfest, right? NO!

Different pvp for different tastes, deal with it.

You mean deal with it like this ?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5966976836

Its so full of trash that gamers are forced  to develope their own addons so they dont need watch that trash.

He's not saying "WoW instanced pvp is trash", he is saying all of it. Im saying thats not true, he just has different pvp tastes. WoW is just one piece of the pie.

And my "deal with it" remark is the fact that he likes owpvp and not spvp but there are other players that are the other way around.

That's because, by and large, it is trash. Most MMOs have poorly thought out, stitched onto the end PvP. Very few MMOs include instanced PvP into the core design of the game. That's why they instance it, because it has almost nothing to do with the rest of the game. Good PVP is built into the core of the game. Good game systems are well thought out and deep.

Instanced PvP generally, and almost always, has bad, tacked on game systems. That may be your thing, but from an objective viewpoint, most instanced PvP is poorly thought out garbage.

I can agree with your statement.. ur thoughts are reasonable..u rage against the devs poor implementation not instanced pvp itself.. makes perfect sense.+1

Wait, so hes pissed about PvE games offering bad PvP? I'm facepalming RIGHT now.

I'm pissed when MMOs implement bad game systems. You can have great PvE and great PvP in the same game. See: DAoC.

Originally posted by Slampig
    And you want to know something? If those days and styloes were so popular then they would still be implemented.

Pretty much anyone who ever says something like this should have all their opinion entirely disregarded.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

Incredibly ignorant and horribly stated argument. The fact that you don't like it doesn't mean its trash. Some people like a good balanced pvp fight, they don't need rewards just getting in there and pvping on a balanced field.

The same could also be said about OWPVP. There are folks who love it because it has "meaning", they like that constant threat or like to go hunt others. But we could do like you are doing and call it trash because it's basically just a gankfest, right? NO!

Its so full of trash that gamers are forced  to develope their own addons so they dont need watch that trash.

He's not saying "WoW instanced pvp is trash", he is saying all of it. Im saying thats not true, he just has different pvp tastes. WoW is just one piece of the pie.

And my "deal with it" remark is the fact that he likes owpvp and not spvp but there are other players that are the other way around.

That's because, by and large, it is trash. Most MMOs have poorly thought out, stitched onto the end PvP. Very few MMOs include instanced PvP into the core design of the game. That's why they instance it, because it has almost nothing to do with the rest of the game. Good PVP is built into the core of the game. Good game systems are well thought out and deep.

Instanced PvP generally, and almost always, has bad, tacked on game systems. That may be your thing, but from an objective viewpoint, most instanced PvP is poorly thought out garbage.

I can agree with your statement.. ur thoughts are reasonable..u rage against the devs poor implementation not instanced pvp itself.. makes perfect sense.+1

Wait, so hes pissed about PvE games offering bad PvP? I'm facepalming RIGHT now.

I'm pissed when MMOs implement bad game systems. You can have great PvE and great PvP in the same game. See: DAoC.

/facepalm Lol, the irony.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Again, you are looking at games that aren't built as PvP games, but still add arena-style PvP for people that enjoy that kind of thing. And you compare them to DaoC? Are you drunk, sir?

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Uzik

Let the carebears have their instanced and meaningless PvP.

All the real PvP'rs will be playing games like Darkfall where PvP has consequences and meaning.

I love this - you mean Gankers. Because that is all the original Darkfall was. It was an utter trash game. There is a huge difference. Some people don't like Open world PvP and like more instanced and organized PvP, not mayhem.

I also expect Darkfall 2 to be a very lonely place as people will find out how trashy the game is and leave in droves - just my opinion.

[mod edit]

Darkfall 1.0 was a game produced by a very small development team over a long period of time.  Despite all its problems it still sold a large number of copies, and maintained enough subscribers to finance Darkfall Unholy Wars.

If you enjoy CoD style meaningless MMO PvP then go ahead and play these themepark games.  Those of us who like actually fighting over something meaningful will play games like Darkfall and EVE.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

You don't seem to get the idea that instanced pvp is not the byproduct of tacked on pvp desing. It is it's own type of pvp that can be designed from the beggining or tacked on just like owpvp. It's a different type of pvp.

Objective viewpoint? I see there is no discussion to be had, with your "objective" facts of opinion...

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437

Oh yea, 1,000+ people fighting over ACTUAL control of cities is just ganking..  Moron.

Darkfall 1.0 was a game produced by a very small development team over a long period of time.  Despite all its problems it still sold a large number of copies, and maintained enough subscribers to finance Darkfall Unholy Wars.

If you enjoy CoD style meaningless MMO PvP then go ahead and play these themepark games.  Those of us who like actually fighting over something meaningful will play games like Darkfall and EVE.

I don't think that is the issue. The issue is that these games aren't newbie friendly... if i join the game a year after release and everytime i login i get ganked 2 min into the game... and 40 sec after getting rezzed.. what is the point?

Again, you are looking at games that aren't built as PvP games, but still add arena-style PvP for people that enjoy that kind of thing. And you compare them to DaoC? Are you drunk, sir?

How are you unable to comprehend that it is possible to have good PvE in a PvP game and good PvP in a PvE game?

Just because an MMO focuses on PvE, it does not get a free pass to have poorly thought out, poorly designed tacked on PvP.

You don't seem to get the idea that instanced pvp is not the byproduct of tacked on pvp desing. It is it's own type of pvp that can be designed from the beggining or tacked on just like owpvp. It's a different type of pvp.

Objective viewpoint? I see there is no discussion to be had, with your "objective" facts of opinion...

Usually when a dev uses instances its because they didn't think the feature out to incorporate it into the whole of the game. The same lazy devs that abuse instancing are the same ones that release bad instanced PvP that have nothing to do with the MMO they're welded onto.

that's not his complaint.. his complaint is that the pvp isn't any good. instead of having castles that can be sieged immediately after being taken over.. they can be reinforced and unsiegable for 24 hours after it changes hands.. that way it would have lasting impact.... thats his/others focus.. that instanced pvp usually has no real consequences or goals... and that those that the have achievements are mediocre at best... it should be understandable..  his focus and enjoyment is pvp.. it should be made to be worthwhile whether it is open world or instanced..

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Instancing is fail.

In regards to PvP, SWG pre-cu got it right with the TEF (temporary enemy flag) system. You could PvP at your choosing and you never knew who was going to jump in because of the covert/overt system. Made for some fantastic battles, outrageous fun.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281

Oh yea, 1,000+ people fighting over ACTUAL control of cities is just ganking..  Moron.

I don't think that is the issue. The issue is that these games aren't newbie friendly... if i join the game a year after release and everytime i login i get ganked 2 min into the game... and 40 sec after getting rezzed.. what is the point?

Except that they had 24 hour new player protection in DF 1.0, and will have n00b safezones in DF 2.0

People just need to start admitting that:

1) They don't like being attacked unless it is on their terms

2) They are afraid to lose their precious pixels

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Am I to understand that anything that isn't done like it was in SWG is trash?

yea that's why SWG is such a success :) it was so awesome.

seriously, why keep naming SWG (not you psychow, the people you asked)? they totaly screwed it up with their patching. SWG was nothing like SWG with that "yedis for everyone" patch stuff.

and that's why only 5 people have been playing SWG in the end.

realy a good game, i totaly see their point :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Usually when a dev uses instances its because they didn't think the feature out to incorporate it into the whole of the game. The same lazy devs that abuse instancing are the same ones that release bad instanced PvP that have nothing to do with the MMO they're welded onto.

Usually doesn't mean all, and their are PLENTY of examples outside of MMOs that do this right as well. Besides most owpvp is also done usually incorrectly according to many. It's a matter of opinions, which is what you have to understand.

Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but notice the OP said WoW had trash PvP yet am I mistaken about WoW PvP servers actually being open world PvP? I could have sworn they were the last time I checked.

Not really, no. Most of WoW's PvP is instanced, and most of it isn't very well balanced. It's a good example of a game that has PvP bolted onto it as an afterthought instead of built into the core.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    I've been playing Age Of Wushu beta and IMO it's a really good sandbox FFA PVP mmo with some outstanding features. I can' t recomend the game enough if you like open world PvP with a great bounty and kidnapping system. Everything in the game is player made and it also has land grabbing for guilds to build on.

I think that many would be supprised if they got into the game in the next beta phase.

that's not his complaint.. his complaint is that the pvp isn't any good. instead of having castles that can be sieged immediately after being taken over.. they can be reinforced and unsiegable for 24 hours after it changes hands.. that way it would have lasting impact.... thats his/others focus.. that instanced pvp usually has no real consequences or goals... and that those that the have achievements are mediocre at best... it should be understandable..  his focus and enjoyment is pvp.. it should be made to be worthwhile whether it is open world or instanced..

That is not his argument. He basically said that instanced pvp is scraps left over tacked on later in development. I'm telling him that is not true.

Originally posted by Uzik

Except that they had 24 hour new player protection in DF 1.0, and will have n00b safezones in DF 2.0

People just need to start admitting that:

1) They don't like being attacked unless it is on their terms

2) They are afraid to lose their precious pixels

Well, if that is the case.. it makes pretty good sense. I would just hope that the individual is wise enough to have planned ahead and tried to make friends/ joins a guild.

I still believe there should be some kinda of level difference restriction based on the game play mechanics and overall ability of ppl of differing lvls to be competitive... other than that.. pvp during events or sieges should be completely open...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

When did players start to accept the fact that it's okay for PvP to be completely instanced?

EverQuest II's 2006 Nagafen Server was a World PvP Server. It worked.

SWG's PvP was World PvP. It worked.

Those games failed.  If all I cared about was world PVP I'd play a genre where it's more enjoyable like an FPS.

World PVP generally means there will be a lot of ganking and rez camping.  It gets old after a while.  Most players prefer to choose when to PVP in a role playing game.  How fun would a role playing game like Skyrim be if people were always ganking you?

World PVP really needs a game dedicated to it that doesn't really care about leveling or getting loot.

That is not his argument. He basically said that instanced pvp is scraps left over tacked on later in development. I'm telling him that is not true.

I'm not a dev so i don't kno... but if it was their intention to make it the way it is.. and not as an afterthought.. maybe they have a target audience.. can't be upset if the game isn't made for you..

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Snip

How are you unable to comprehend that it is possible to have good PvE in a PvP game and good PvP in a PvE game?

Just because an MMO focuses on PvE, it does not get a free pass to have poorly thought out, poorly designed tacked on PvP.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that.

However, you can't compare WoW with DaoC (Just to name 2 examples). Even though they are both classed as MMORPG games, they are both situated in completely different sub-genres.

While WoW focuses a lot more on its PvE aspect, DaoC focuses a lot more on it's PvP aspect (Seriously, who talks about their fond PvE memories in DaoC anyway?). Almost like Sims vs BF3. Only you would have to be able to match your Sims family against another in an arena room that was added in the " The Sims: Arenas" addon.

Anyway, team PvP, or arena-style as I love to call it, is not " bad" . It's just different. It's not Open-world. It's instanced to provide a fair and even ground for 2 or more teams to fight eachother and really be declared winner (class balance issues aside). Like a football match. Or soccer. Or whatever.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

When did players start to accept the fact that it's okay for PvP to be completely instanced?

Those games failed.  If all I cared about was world PVP I'd play a genre where it's more enjoyable like an FPS.

World PVP generally means there will be a lot of ganking and rez camping.  It gets old after a while.  Most players prefer to choose when to PVP in a role playing game.  How fun would a role playing game like Skyrim be if people were always ganking you?

World PVP really needs a game dedicated to it that doesn't really care about leveling or getting loot.

I think your idea makes complete sense.. if there is not a loss of lvl or experience involved and only loot and gold... i can see myself enjoying the game.. otherwise it would be pointless to lvl up just to downlvl everytime someone ganked u.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I enjoy instanced PvP. :)

Joined - July 2004

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

But see, that's why SWG's TEF system was perfect. You could be overt which meant you'd be open for PvP attacks any time, you could be covert and choose WHEN to participate in PvP (nobody could attack you unless flagged) or you could simply avoid becoming covert which meant you didn't participate in PvP at all.

IMHO, the best solution to PvP ever designed, and the most fun as well. Small skirmishes would sometimes turn into city-wide epic battles that lasted hours. I can't stress how much fun this system was, it was all win.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky