Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And I'm back again. I think this game has the most to offer for no monthly fee.

ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

I had been subscribed to wow recently and I put probably 20-30 hours into the new expansion and while it's somewhat impressive I still don't think it can hold a candle to the value I'm getting out of GW2. I wanted to go back to EVE Online and now I can just because I won't let myself do two paid subscriptions a month. I can get both Fantasy and Sci fi with one monthly fee. 

Ahhh this is nice ^_^

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    I also tried to play Pandaria - and I had a blast with my Druid and later my DK for almost 8 years in WoW, but I just can't anymore... I don't think I'll ever be able to play a game with quest hubs and classic MMO combat.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    I also tried to play Pandaria - and I had a blast with my Druid and later my DK for almost 8 years in WoW, but I just can't anymore... I don't think I'll ever be able to play a game with quest hubs and classic MMO combat.

Remember in the old days in MMOs when you couldn't even dodge and someone else had to heal you?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan I also tried to play Pandaria - and I had a blast with my Druid and later my DK for almost 8 years in WoW, but I just can't anymore... I don't think I'll ever be able to play a game with quest hubs and classic MMO combat.

Remember in the old days in MMOs when you couldn't even dodge and someone else had to heal you?

Haha! +1
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by Exavus

I had been subscribed to wow recently and I put probably 20-30 hours into the new expansion and while it's somewhat impressive I still don't think it can hold a candle to the value I'm getting out of GW2. I wanted to go back to EVE Online and now I can just because I won't let myself do two paid subscriptions a month. I can get both Fantasy and Sci fi with one monthly fee. 

Ahhh this is nice ^_^

If you left once already you will leave again...and again....and again.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by coretex666

And you needed keyboard and mouse instead of joypad...

Nope, still use them :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Actually, I'm one of the favored people who played Asheron's Call 1, so I also remember the opposite :) Yeah, even old school MMORPGs had dodging and the ability to care for yourself.

That's possibly why I enjoy GW2 that much.

PS: I welcome anyone playing with a joypad to duel me in any World vs World area of his choice, 1 vs 1. I will show him why mouse view is still superior to any stupid joystick-like controler, something which has been true since the early days of Doom 20+ years ago.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

PS: I welcome anyone playing with a joypad to duel me in any World vs World area of his choice, 1 vs 1. I will show him why mouse view is still superior to any stupid joystick-like controler, something which has been true since the early days of Doom 20+ years ago.

Well, pretty sure that's a safe challenge.

Haven't even seen my joystick in more than a decade.

Oh, you were flex-and-posing at the console guys.  Nevah mind.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Or you had to buy something that healed you, and you couldn't run away from a fight before you died.  Between attacks you had to wait for your health bar to fill when you had no potions or stim packs or use /sit...and jumping was an emote, not a skill.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by Tiller

Or you had to buy something that healed you, and you couldn't run away from a fight before you died.  Between attacks you had to wait for your health bar to fill when you had no potions or stim packs or use /sit...and jumping was an emote, not a skill.

Sit-jumping... I miss that from the Betas.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Who are you?
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think this game has the most to offer for no monthly fee.

Before Planetside 2 came out, I would agree with you.

Now, not so sure.

Also, Firefall is coming out too, which is also free.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Now, not so sure.

Does Planetside 2 or firefall have PvE content?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Now, not so sure.

Firefall does have pve not as exciting as it is with GW2 but a good side game though. 

For got to add for [me].

I think though with a lot of people playing it can be fun as well.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Now, not so sure.

Firefall does have pve not as exciting as it is with GW2 but a good side game though. 

For got to add for [me].

Interesting. I thought both of them were just MMOFPS with no real PvE content. Though that can be fun, I would still consider it more shallow than a rpg.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I remember before that, in Lineage, when I could do those things.  Not all games had guaranteed hits with gimped combat mechanics.  Self sufficiency isn't a new concept.

So I'm seeing... those games actually predate my MMO experiences. So... what happened? When did self-responsibility and self-sufficiency go away?

And aren't you glad it's back?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

Ahhh this is nice ^_^

If you left once already you will leave again...and again....and again.

This is so true.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Well, pretty sure that's a safe challenge.

Haven't even seen my joystick in more than a decade.

Oh, you were flex-and-posing at the console guys.  Nevah mind.

Oh no, not "flex and posing"... just stating the obvious.

If what I say wasn't true, and joysticks were superior for MMORPGs, then all those guys doing competitions (aka "eSport") in games like WoW would be using joysticks and not mouse+keyboard combos. The "top" sPvP guilds in GW2 would be using joysticks too. They don't, for a very good reason - a mouse + keyboard combo beats any type of joystick/joypad/console controller any time of the day in a MMORPG.

Oh and before someone post that... I know there are videos around of people doing PvP with a controler. Those prove nothing except that controlers actually... suck compared to a mouse :)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Icewhite Originally posted by The_Korrigan PS: I welcome anyone playing with a joypad to duel me in any World vs World area of his choice, 1 vs 1. I will show him why mouse view is still superior to any stupid joystick-like controler, something which has been true since the early days of Doom 20+ years ago.
    Well, pretty sure that's a safe challenge. Haven't even seen my joystick in more than a decade. Oh, you were flex-and-posing at the console guys.  Nevah mind.
    Oh no, not "flex and posing"... just stating the obvious.

If what I say wasn't true, and joysticks were superior for MMORPGs, then all those guys doing competitions (aka "eSport") in games like WoW would be using joysticks and not mouse+keyboard combos. The "top" sPvP guilds in GW2 would be using joysticks too. They don't, for a very good reason - a mouse + keyboard combo beats any type of joystick/joypad/console controller any time of the day in a MMORPG.

Oh and before someone post that... I know there are videos around of people doing PvP with a controler. Those prove nothing except that controlers actually... suck compared to a mouse :)

Its because mmo combat isnt good enough yet to warrant a gamepad.
    Originally posted by Foomerang
    Its because mmo combat isnt good enough yet to warrant a gamepad.

That's the reason why mouse+keyboard are also the best for FPS games then? The only reason controlers work on consoles is because there's no choice. Playing a FPS with a mouse gives WAY superior control and precision - and that's why despite having the choice, all FPS top gamers on PC play with a mouse.

Fact is, games which allow multiplayer between computer and console always either see a complete dominance by the computer players over the console players, or give the console players some degree of auto-aim to make up for it. This isn't really a controversial question. It's a fact. Mouse > Controller. And that's the reason why Microsoft gave up allowing PC players and console players to play those games together, even though the initially intended to support it on the 360.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Step uip and stop playing any MMOs until they start to release a real MMO.

Originally posted by Foomerang Its because mmo combat isnt good enough yet to warrant a gamepad.
    That's the reason why mouse+keyboard are also the best for FPS games then? The only reason controlers work on consoles is because there's no choice. Playing a FPS with a mouse gives WAY superior control and precision - and that's why despite having the choice, all FPS top gamers on PC play with a mouse.

Fact is, games which allow multiplayer between computer and console always either see a complete dominance by the computer players over the console players, or give the console players some degree of auto-aim to make up for it. This isn't really a controversial question. It's a fact. Mouse > Controller. And that's the reason why Microsoft gave up allowing PC players and console players to play those games together, even though the initially intended to support it on the 360.

Really? Cause last time i checked, the number of world ranked fighting game tournaments outnumbers mmo pvp tournaments nearly 20 to 1. Trying to bandwagon current mmo combat into fps is straw man at its finest. Oh mmo combat and fps both use kb and mouse? That proves mmos are at the same level? Haha. No.

When an mmo has the same depth of abilities and reaction time as virtua fighter 5, then i will agree with you. But mmo combat in its current form is not even close. I mean you guys are still giddy from having a dodge button lol. You have a long way to go.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Step uip and stop playing any MMOs until they start to release a real MMO.

Really? Why not just stop postong on MMORPG.COM while not playing MMO's also? I for wone ge sick of people that have to post negative non-sense drivvle in a basically positive thread.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Now, not so sure.

For got to add for [me].

Yeah as he said.

Planetside 2 have no pve but because there is a lot of people playing all the time, it feels very persistent and ongoing, perhaps more so than GW2 in some cases.

GW2 did definitely do it well though, probably the first b2p/f2p mmo to trully have any sort of quality worthy of mentioning and set the bar for the rest to come imo.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Now, not so sure.

For got to add for [me].

Yeah as he said.

Planetside 2 have no pve but because there is a lot of people playing all the time, it feels very persistent and ongoing, perhaps more so than GW2 in some cases.

GW2 did definitely do it well though, probably the first b2p/f2p mmo to trully have any sort of quality worthy of mentioning and set the bar for the rest to come imo.

That and GW 2 has pretty much 3 games in one, so of course it's gonna seem a lot more people in Planet Side 2 because thats what you log on for PVP not for pvp,pve,and spvp you know?

So it's expected IMO and PSO2 since they mainly focused on that part it's going to be entertaining regardless. I get my Sci Fi fix for that and Firefall.

For 8v8 stuff I play Halo 4 for that, then for my main mmorpg I play Guild Wars 2.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.