Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Wizardry Online: Touring the Beta

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Wizardry Online is not a game for carebears, at least that's how it's being billed. Given its permadeath nature, it's a aimed squarely at hardcore folks. We had a chance for a guided tour of Wizardry Online and have lots to share. See what you think before leaving your comments.

This week I had the pleasure to be invited to participate in a developer-led tour of the upcoming MMO Wizardry Online. To be completely honest, the extent that this game has been on my radar has been something along the lines of “Didn’t I used to play single player RPGs with that name? They’re making an MMO out of it? That could be interesting, I’ll have to look into it one of these days…” And of course I never got around to looking into it and knew absolutely nothing about it when I got the invite. In a way though I think that may have worked out for the best as I went in with no misconceptions or expectations and had an open mind about what I would be shown. I have to admit I was pretty intrigued by the idea of permadeath and other things I had caught hint of. But anyway, I’ll get to that later…

Read more of Richard Cox's Wizardry Online: Touring the Beta.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    ah, finaly an MMORPG for me. permadeath with no automatic health regen. a priest will mean something, that's my class.
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I have played it yes and I found it a horrible experience. It was like travelling back in time 10 years but not in a good way.

The game looks pretty ugly in all aspects, the character models are especially bad, the quest text and storys that are told to you are beyond bland. 

The comabt feels stiff and unresponsive.

When I read about this game I thought it would be good but reading and playing were two very different things.

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I'll say it again - the game is AWFUL! It's not hardcore to play ugly game with horrible controls, fighting system and poor level design. No sir!

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    This game is perfect. Especially for those of us who miss oldschool games that are hard. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    The open world PK is what will drive me away from this game, the griefers will show no mercy on the lower geared/leveled characters.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I also stepped foot into this beta and then walked away. I know it's early beta but it really looks and feels like a 10 year old game. And the griefers were out in force.

Not my cup of tea.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

In theory everything seems great with the game.  But in it's current state they have some serious polish and clunkiness to work on.  I'm guessing they are going for the old school look with the graphics as they are pretty horrible at this point.  While graphics are a small part of the game, they definitely don't make it very enjoyable to look at.  

I still have high hopes for the game after they've done some more work.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Adding a note here to say the screenshots in the article show the character models in this build are much improved over what was offered in the first beta.
  • pookirpookir Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I have played it yes and I found it a horrible experience. It was like travelling back in time 10 years but not in a good way.

Second that, but idea is great tho.

• drowelfdrowelf Member UncommonPosts: 114
    just like the old AD&D tabletop game, were a failed res/system sock roll was perament death. SO cool and yes the punks will be out to show how much better they are than you, So out smart them and travle with a party. If you must and i do at times travel alone I expect thugs, thugies and the like.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

SOE in their original true form. Punishing their own playerbase... 

No thanks, had enough of that with EQ1 to last a lifetime.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by drowelf
    just like the old AD&D tabletop game, were a failed res/system sock roll was perament death.

Or with pen and paper rpg's. But there's 2 huge differences, and that's why I will stay away from WO (although I liked Wizardry back in the days)

- just as Richard wrote, I'm not in college anymore. I have limited gametime, and I definitely would be pissed if I'd lose my invested time because of 2 rolls. Even in a real rpg at the table, by a angry GM whose snack I previously munched :)  but here's the second one, and this is worse

- it's an online pc game. Meaning lag spikes, dc outages, system freezes, anything can happen. For example only one of my alts in LotRO doesn't have the Undying title, and she lost it because of a router hangup during a fight. (and I didn't want to reroll, I hate deleting my characters... and yep, I switched that f**kin router afterwards) Since you get only a limited time to bargain with the gods after you died (to raise the % of success), if you die from a freeze or a loss of connection, that means 2 rolls against pretty low %. Rather not, thanks :)

So nope, no permadeath for me in a decent rpg. In an effortless game (namely shooters) it's ok, or in lame mods like DayZ, but not in an rpg. At least for me, but I wish them the best, probably there are enough players to make WO profitable.

• DilligDillig Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Margrave

You do know they are just the publisher right?

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    I don't like Negative posts, but after playing this, all I can say is, It's Dated before it is even released. I don't see this game hitting big. I am sure it will have a Nitch crowd, but thats about it. I lovedthe old Wzardry and this game hasn't advanced much more than it was back then. Too bad, I had High Hopes. Not a Game for me, but give it a go. Some WILL like it.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

You do realise people actually like to be punished for bad decisions in games? No? 

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

The game looks pretty ugly in all aspects, the character models are especially bad, the quest text and storys that are told to you are beyond bland. 

The comabt feels stiff and unresponsive.

When I read about this game I thought it would be good but reading and playing were two very different things.

Everything you said. It got to the point..where you have to sit through endless narrative with no respite. It would make even SWTOR haters applaud the "innovation" of the spacebar skip-scene function. The ridiculous out of place music at every turn...sounded like something from an old rpg ..droning on and on never really changing. Everyplace has the sounds of a fairy forest orchestra in this game. I barely experienced the combat but by the time it came around..i was not interested. I'm usually proud to test betas and help out ..overlook expected bugs and report them. Never treating beta as "Yippee free game-time time" .Surprisingly , I just couldn't stomach even beta-testing this game.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280
    SOE is jsut the publisher. The game was developed in Korea 10y ago. They bought the license for a couple of hundred bucks.
  • shellshockroshellshockro Member UncommonPosts: 20
    What will griefers do when only griefers are left? Do not see this as a big money maker for SOE.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

It is bad, but not because of perma-death.  

It is closed corpg dungeon crawler with graphic and animations from 10 years ago not mmorog.  Brrrr.

• GnomigGnomig Member Posts: 48

I played it and it was... dreadful. Really, really dreadful. No other word comes to mind, really.^^

The graphics and animations look and feel as if they were taken from an asian console game from around 1985. The tutorial was so unbelievable braindead that I wonder if it has done any lasting damage (yes, feel free to assure me of that^^ ).

All in all: it read like a great game with permadeath and all that. In reality it turned out to be something I will remember for its crappiness.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Ah, the joys of perma death... Coupled with PvP. This is going to be a gankers/griefers paradise.  This "criminal" system has been tried endlessly.  Some how, it never keeps the Goonie types from having their jollies at everyone elses expense.

Couple that with no health regen, non instanced dungeons (high levels ganking lower levels endlessly), and one has a game fit for the mid to late 90's... Thanks for the heads up. This one goes on my list as don't even bother with it.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by karmath

You do realise people actually like to be punished for bad decisions in games? No? 

There is no accounting for some peoples taste... ^^ Perma death and ganking in this day and age, mean the game will automatically niche itself.  There is a rather narrow demographic for this type of game, in the modern western markets.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    Ew, it's ugly and looks like it should have come out 12 years ago lol. Permadeath isn't fun for most people, so those of you who want that....uh I guess have fun.
  • jehkahn12jehkahn12 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I played the beta. Gotta say this game was awful. The tutorial was so bland ( lots of slow text reading that I couldn't skip) that I barely finished it. Maybe there was a way to skip it but I couldn't nor wanted to find one. Graphics bad, controls worse, combat slow and awkward, all piled up to a wasted experience. The idea is solid, but they game falls way short in every other area. Not a troll. Just speaking truths the way I see 'em. You are welcome to try though. Everyone has different ideas about what is good in a game.
  • asmadeousasmadeous Member Posts: 70
    According to MMORPG.com, this is a breach of SOE's NDA, why is this preview allowed?