Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More EA hate this time from a MoH forum moderator

2»

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Onomas

Rushed? They spent 4+ years and 200+ million. How the hell can it be rushed? LOL

If it was not rushed then why was half the game chopped down?

It was rushed because EA wanted to get the game out before their compeitors, and had to chop stuff out to make it more viable for a quicker release. If they had more time, they could have made what they had in the game viable, without having to chop stuff out, and developers would not have cried

They even hired many more devs to get the game done. The game was huge and needed way more than 5 or 6 years to do properly.

If you are given 1 hour to level a char from 1-50 in SWTOR, you will fail as there is not enough time to do it all

If you are given 1 hour to complete 1 space mission in SWTOR, will succeed with plenty of time left.

The amount of time needed to create a game is proportionate to the size of the game, and SWTOR was MASSIVE, and became TOO BIG for them to handle. Usually when Bioware creates a game they release a game when it is ready, that is what has made all the games the best, but with EA, they did not have the time or patience and probably running ouyt of money for it too and had to push it out

Because if you havent noticed, majority of new released mmo's are chopped down lol. Half the content and features do not exist in new age mmo's that did in older games. And thats the reason many of these mmo's are failing.

Instead os messing around with voice overs they should have put effort into the core of the game first. SWTOR wasnt massive it was eye candy and KOTOR 4 with voice over's. Nothing about SWTOR was massive at all. The maps were linear, the exploration was chopped, crafting was bad, space fighting/flight was chopped down. I felt like i was a dog being led around on a leash.

New single player console rpg's offered more than SWTOR did.

Yes, all MMOs get chopped as they all get RUSHED for release, and SWTOR was no exception, especially with EA pushing it out. If they had more time, or Bioware did not have EA breathing down their necks as Bioware alone would have kept going until it was all ready as they have done on their previous games they have done alone, then I doubt they would have cut the game down

Considering it made the "devs cry", the amount of content chopped must have been quite substantial / huge and had no intention of being added later. It was not massive because it was chopped down!

KOTOR 4? What happened to 3?

They said they had enough content to make KOTOR 3-9 and beyond in 2008, but it not all being there at launch was expected, but where it has now failed is that they have not been adding it constantly since release.

STO was also RUSHED for release, with loads of stuff missing, but at least they added it all later, and mainly wanted to mould the game around what the players wanted than what they/Cryptic wanted (which is Biowares mentality for SWTOR), which they are mainly doing, and STO is evolving quite well. It is far from perfect but it is not staying stale like SWTOR is.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by ImperialSun
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Well, TBH, most of SWTORs devs were fired.

And i could tell you tales and tales of how common man solved stuff that "Top proffessionals" screwed up.

Anyway, no words are needed, you have SWTOR as a proof lol

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by ImperialSun
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

So mmorpg.com forums should become mmorpgdevs.com or something? Only those qualified have permission to post? That'd make for a fun website :)

Blitz

• epf1epf1 Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Not all of the blame can be placed at EAs door. In fact, very little here is EAs fault. Bioware started TOR before EA came in. They had lofty ambitions before EA came in, and only pursued the merger with EA to secure the funding needed to make the game. When it became apparent that Bioware Austin was a mess of mismanagement, along with a poorly envisioned game design, EA had to make the most out of a bad situation. They invested a huge sum of money in Bioware, and Bioware p****d is away. EA aren't making any friends by trying to profiteer off the failure of the team in Austin with the F2P conversion, but we shouldn't expect them to invest yet more money trying to save a sinking ship.

TOR isn't going to be around for much longer, and I wouldn't be surprised if the price Bioware pays is total disolution. I would not be surprised at all.

SOURCE!!!!!

This is a common misconception, as far as I saw.  BioWare was interested in a KOTOR 3 game before EA, but thats about it.

SWTOR was announced publically only after EA took over.

True that SWTOR was publically announced under the EA banner, but it's not that hard to fill in the gaps with what we know today.

What is known is that Bioware was already working on a by then unknown MMO at the time EA bought them. Since Bioware have only made one MMORPG (...I know, that can be debated lol) it can't be anything else but SWTOR.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/qanda-bioware-on-the-ea-buyout-6180866

Regarding Bioware and KOTOR, I remember reading comments like not ever again working with a StarWars based IP again (e.g working with/for Lucas Arts). Not sure where that came from though, if it was just rumours or leaks from Bioware? I guess Lucas Arts made them an offer they couldn't refuse?

I remember how surprised I was when it was announced that Bioware was  already knee deep into the Sarlaac Pit of StarWars MMO development. I thought for myself back then "This will not end well!" and well here we are today with another failed StarWars MMO lol.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by mmoDAD
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I don't think it was rushed. What I do think is they horribly misjudged what aspects were needed and important for the game to have longevity and significant subscription sustainability.

I belonged to the SWTOR forums since day 1. I have an Oct. 08 forum account. I watched, posted, and read all the way until launch. Each day would produce countless threads on the importance social features, e.g., exploration, crafting, ability to be yourself, gigantic worlds, etc.

The developers literally paid no mind to any of it. People weren't asking for SWG 2.0. They were asking for a deep Star Wars MMO.

Everything about SWTOR is simply terrible. In fact, it makes the entire Star Wars franchise look cheap (not that is wasn't already). It was a complete waste of time and an embarrassment to the MMO genre.

The last thing I want is another WoW. SWTOR didn't even do that. It gave us a console game with optional co-op.

Mostly this. I too joined SWTOR forums since day one in 2008 and said the same things. To no avail.

I would say SWTOR did make the class stories good and some details. I dont think ALL is bad. But overall too many things not there and not made right. As you say, too less a world, no sense for explorarion asf.

So as usual, well said, mmoDAD!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Probably not as rushed as other MMOs that launched, but nonetheless, it lacked a lot of refinement and polish.  Ability delay and terrible framerate stuttering (even on a good machine) killed it for me.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Probably not as rushed as other MMOs that launched, but nonetheless, it lacked a lot of refinement and polish.  Ability delay and terrible framerate stuttering (even on a good machine) killed it for me.

Ability delay still hasnt been fixed...

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    SWG was a world, SWTOR is just a story.

All die, so die well.