Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this game last?

This isnt a bashing thread but if, by the slightest of chance, I ever decided to check out this game again (and only if they did a complete revamp of the game's engine, added better races, more world to quest, better UI function, more sandbox elements, etc), I hope that they dont shut down the game due to it collasping, esp after this F2P fiasco.

No way would I try the game as it is right now (Worst F2P mode, ever!), I quit a month after release due it being so boring and lifeless. But like I said, with the changes above I mentioned, I would maybe check it out again, but only if the game didnt get shutdown a month later or something.

SWTOR did make me reqret not trying SWG back in the day.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    I lost my interest in this game after 1 week of gaming. I went thinking about playing a MMO, not a single payer game with multiplayer chores after finishing the campaign. I play Call of Duty instead, much better campaign and a much better multiplayer.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

So help me out here PP...  You have this string of one-post-wonders going, threads you begin and never(?) re-visit.

What gives? Just a hobby?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    The game will last and prosper.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104
    I try to revist when I can lol.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Well looking at Xfire f2p is helping swtor. It's about 4k hours behind GW2. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by bcbully

On that site you mentioned, ToR is down 25% this Monday from last.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

The only thing I dont know is:

Who will pull the plug first: EA or Disney ;P

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Not at the rate it is going.

F2P has only given it a boost for now, but in a few months people will tire of it, as people did from launch, as the game has not advanced much since launch.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Paddyspub
    This isnt a bashing thread but if, by the slightest of chance, I ever decided to check out this game again (and only if they did a complete revamp of the game's engine, added better races, more world to quest, better UI function, more sandbox elements, etc), I hope that they dont shut down the game due to it collasping, esp after this F2P fiasco. No way would I try the game as it is right now (Worst F2P mode, ever!), I quit a month after release due it being so boring and lifeless. But like I said, with the changes above I mentioned, I would maybe check it out again, but only if the game didnt get shutdown a month later or something. SWTOR did make me reqret not trying SWG back in the day.

It's fairly safe to predict the major changes you are waiting for won't ever happen in a faltering game such as SWTOR. Certainly nothing like any of that has happened in the other MMOs EA runs.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    This game is now on life support. I won't be surprised to hear of it shutting down sometime next year.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Well games do tend to last beyond lifesupport status so yes I think TOR will be around.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by bcbully

weird, last time I checked Xfire only represented 2% of the gaming community.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Simple answer, the game will continure as long as a profit is to be made somewhere.  Are you a stockholder?
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Realistically: Yes

Ideally: No

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I know one thing for sure... for the last couple of days, everytime I check the site all 5 of the most current post are concerning this game. What is that they say about publicity? Any is good? 

Anyway, I think it will last just because it's Star Wars. For example; I wasn't going to try it again so soon, but over the Turkey Day holiday here in the States, Spike Tv was playing all 6 the entire weekend. Just watching the movies made me want to play again. 

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

No

It went f2p for a reason and unfortunately the way the are doing f2p is hideous.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Er? It's allready dead?
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Yes, the game will last. Anyone who says otherwise is confusing lasting with thriving or is in the group here on these boards that likes to overexagerrate. 

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    There is still a chance It could turn around but EA needs to get different developers on it.  Don't get me wrong I've allways been a fan of Biowares games(even after Dragon age 2) but its quite clear that the current team has no idea how to run an mmo at the scale they want to.  One thing that Swtor proves is that a mmo can not survive on good lore, great story alone, and a so-so single player experience.(Sadly no other developers have looked at swtor and learned, in fact ever since Zenimax's first interview about "the elder scrolls online".  Its clear they're thinking along the same lines as bioware just with a few more bells and whistles.)
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Paddyspub
     only if they did a complete revamp of the game's engine,

If they do only that,it would be enough to bring some PvPers in.

Their combat system is not bad,but their engine/netcode is and that makes it superbad.

Let's internet

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Nothing lasts. But it will hang around for a while, in my view.  If it's performing at or above the expectations of management, then it will continue. I should think that management would pay attention to their metrics in order to anticipate a day where the profit margin is not met. You'll indirectly feel the result of downtrending metrics in the form of announcements, delays, quality, or even less subtle ways.

The game could run for years in pseudo-maintenance mode with an ever decreasing cost by way of downsizing and other cuts.

That doesn't mean it will be an enjoyable experience for all the current players, but there'll be some that enjoy it just fine.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Im thinking it will do as well as SWG.  It will keep going untill the next Star Wars MMO.  Then it will be cancelled..and then a bunch of fans will rage on random game forums...and a bunch of haters will Lol at them and counter rage at the game.  Then the new game will come out...people will play..people will leave..it will be f2p about a year after launch...it will go untill a new Star Wars MMO is about to come out..it will get cancelled..etc etc  repeat into infinity

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

The game will last--in a way.  Unfortunately I feel like Bioware has backed itself into a corner with its initial design choices, though, and SWTOR will join the innumerable host of games that never recover from an early downturn in player numbers.  In an ideal scenario, the game would be adapted to support  systems-based gameplay, rather than more expensive content-based development.  I think that's the direction the genre is going, but this game sank its capital into the old model, ultimately just a bad bet.

The game also suffers from its IP.  Star Wars is a lot of things to a lot of people.  I think the most cost-effective thing to do for the life of the game, frankly, would be to make it more like SWG.  Trouble is, due to the initial design, that represents a huge up front cost, and due to the polarizing nature of the IP, to say nothing of its previous owner's handling of licenses, any changes to make the game more sandboxy would be derided by KOTOR fans as a departure from formula--and rightly so--and simultaneously derided by SWG fans as too little too late.  Nobody's ever going to spend enough to turn this game into something that can satisfy the entire potential player base.

What that means is that we'll see something between holding pattern and aggressive content production, depending on revenue.  Neither, however, will turn the game into the powerhouse it could have been, and if I were Disney, I'd already be looking for a new developer for the next Star Wars MMO.

Peace and safety.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Draron

Yes, the game will last. Anyone who says otherwise is confusing lasting with thriving or is in the group here on these boards that likes to overexagerrate. 

Thing is though with SWTOR it needs to thrive to survive, and if it does not thrive then it will not last, because SWTOR is in a unique position compared to other MMOs. SWTOR needs the equivalent of 500K subs to break even, that is $7.5 million per month. All other MMOs do not need that much to survive / last.

Vanguard is not thriving, far from it, but will last as does not cost much to keep running.

Warhammer is probably still going as does not cost much to run either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19077238

The President of EA Labels Frank Gibeau said the Star Wars game would still break even so long as it maintained 500,000 subscribers, but admitted that its current performance was "not good enough".

If EA bring out a new game / project that gives them way more profit than SWTOR, then I do not see them burdening themselves with this costly bad rep beast.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Draron

Thing is though with SWTOR it needs to thrive to survive, and if it does not thrive then it will not last, because SWTOR is in a unique position compared to other MMOs. SWTOR needs the equivalent of 500K subs to break even, that is $7.5 million per month. All other MMOs do not need that much to survive / last.

Vanguard is not thriving, far from it, but will last as does not cost much to keep running.

Warhammer is probably still going as does not cost much to run either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19077238

The President of EA Labels Frank Gibeau said the Star Wars game would still break even so long as it maintained 500,000 subscribers, but admitted that its current performance was "not good enough".

If EA bring out a new game / project that gives them way more profit than SWTOR, then I do not see them burdening themselves with this costly bad rep beast.

An operating cost of $7.5 million a month seems high to me. That's not me doubting your facts; I remember reading that before launch. But it is only just now sinking in for me to think about how much it costs to keep the lights on for SWTOR.

It was a bad design from start to finish; top to bottom.

It's no wonder why the F2P model is so restrictive and expensive.