Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defending a Base gives no reward - Whats the point ?

spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

When you attack an enemy base you get a reward for your efforts, the great teamplay and time you did investo to defeat the enemy.

When you defend your own base, you nothing. Why such a strange game mechanic ? Defending a base needs aswell efforts, good teamplay and time. At the end you want something you did fight for, a reward and a good feeling.

Whats the point to defend a base with such gameplay rules ?

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I agree. Its large oversight

• NaturrutanNaturrutan Member Posts: 20
    Yep you´re right. Has to be done right though. 50 people defending against 3 attackers shouldn´t yield as much as the opposite and I assume it has to be timed based aswell in 20 minute increments perhaps. Time based because it´s hard to say when a base is succesfully defended.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    The entire game of planetside 2 has no point to it, its just a pointless pay2win zergfest with no real purpose or point. Thohgh you can argue no game really has a point to it, but Ps2 is one of the few that is just not really even worth bothering with.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• NaturrutanNaturrutan Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Siveria
    The entire game of planetside 2 has no point to it, its just a pointless pay2win zergfest with no real purpose or point. Thohgh you can argue no game really has a point to it, but Ps2 is one of the few that is just not really even worth bothering with.

Guess what it is you want in a game i´d say. Personally I think it´s abit of fun going in and blasting away for abit, and i´m not even an fps fan.

And about your footnote a pessimist can not get a positive surprise since he will see it in a pessimistic way.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

It is silly, as it will lead to more teams leaving bases to recapture them soon after.

And it should scale based on attackers and duration.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

ps2 is the angry birds of fps's

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Personally bases should have timers where attacking them does nothing, kinda like a invincability timer, maybe have 2 bases open for attack for each faction, this way it sort of centralizes players more. In Ps2 people can't be rewarded because there really is nothing to award. I myself quit the game once I figured out the game is pay2win, due to how many certs are needed to unlock stuff and how little you get for doing things.

I also felt you die far to easy in the game, for it being the future, i'd expect the shield to be able to take more than 1-2 hits. Bascally shield should take most of the damage then once your shield is gone your life gets hit, but you can only take 2-3 shots max unshielded. Game just is not fun when you get to a battle ground then get 2-3 shoted by a pistol. Its the future, so I'd expect it to not be like real life.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

I got rewarded for defending a base....

But the condition is, the enemy needs actually to manage to take over control points. For each part you take back you get points,

If he manges to take all a count down bar appears, if you manage to take back parts and fill you faction bar up again, you get defender points for the whole base.

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

This exact problem also existed in the beginning of the first Planetside. They tinkered around with it, and finally found a good balance (and then destroyed the entire game shortly after with the socalled "balance pass").

It is incredible, that they don't learn from the lessons of the first game.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    This thread is pointless... there is already rewards for defending. Next time you're defending a base look at all the bonus xp you get from killing, repairing, healing, act. The attackers do not see this bonus because they are rewarded when the base is captured. The system works this way to reward those who actually defend rather than those who are just there or show up when its defended. Its opposite for the attackers because while you can show up last minute to get capture reward, effort is still needed regardless.
  • impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

The entire game of planetside 2 has no point to it, its just a pointless pay2win zergfest with no real purpose or point.

I myself quit the game once I figured out the game is pay2win, due to how many certs are needed to unlock stuff and how little you get for doing things.

Clearly you didnt understand the game at all and have no clue what you are talking about.

First Pay2Win:

-Nope. I personally prefer all the primary weapons over the ones that you can buy, as none of the unlockable weapons have better stats, just different stats.

- A lot of the utility slots are really cheap in certs (which are really easy to aquire) or do not really give much of an advantage. 

-Weapon attachments all come with their disadvantages. 

Zergfest? Only if you do not squad up and have no idea what you are doing so you just use hotspots to enter battles. Any bit of knowlegde and experience in this game and you would have known that this is the wrong way to play. Join a squad and you will constantly have small tactical skirmishes over all the continents.

Pointless? Not any more pointless than any other shooter out there. That is what this game is, a shooter. NOT A RPG. The point is to conquer all the continents not to gain awesome stuff. Join an outfit and rivalry and large tactical warfare will make this game interesting in the long run. But still, its primarily a shooter....

In conclusion: You base your opinion on a very limited experience with a game that you barely understood. Next time you have one, please make sure you get the facts straight. Calling this game P2W gives away you do not have a clue and are probably just bad at shooters.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    bah, it's Sunday, isn't it?  nvm

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Seems like we're getting nitpicky now.  During a base defense you get points for:

Kills

Assists

Heals

Rezs

Repairs

Resupplies (which engineers seem to suck at in the game)

Sightings.

You OWN the base so you have a huge defensive bonus (I.e. takes drastically less people to hold a base than to attack it), you have whatever materials gained from the location, and some have unique vehicles attached to them.

You want even MORE things?

Hell my gun got a gold medal lastnight.  That gave me more CP and XP.  I got it from simply shooting fools in the head.

My tank got some award lastnight for taking out other opposing tanks as well.

... But of course, that's not enough XP.  You wanna be BR 1000000 by yesterday.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    As I stated earlier there are already rewards for defending. Next time you're defending a base look at all the bonus xp you get from killing, repairing, healing, act. The attackers do not see this bonus because they are rewarded when the base is captured. The system works this way to reward those who actually defend rather than those who are just there or show up when its defended. Its opposite for the attackers because while you can show up last minute to get capture reward, effort is still needed regardless.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

The base defence reward was the same as a sucessfull capture right up to the last few days in beta. It was removed and re shuffled into + bonuses because very small groups would drop into undefended bases and attempt cap them for free xp, trying to avoiding fighting all together.

So when the defenders showed up and killed 2-3 of the rogue attackers they quickly get the full bonus for a defence. Even when it was legit it was giving alot of xp, yet alone when someone would use an alt to 'attack' a base and have their main kill their alt and recap the base.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

or

You're not a pessimist.    It seems you're just misinformed or willfully ignorant.   

“Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us.” 
    - Stephen Colbert

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by impiro

The entire game of planetside 2 has no point to it, its just a pointless pay2win zergfest with no real purpose or point.

I myself quit the game once I figured out the game is pay2win, due to how many certs are needed to unlock stuff and how little you get for doing things.

Clearly you didnt understand the game at all and have no clue what you are talking about.

First Pay2Win:

-Nope. I personally prefer all the primary weapons over the ones that you can buy, as none of the unlockable weapons have better stats, just different stats.

- A lot of the utility slots are really cheap in certs (which are really easy to aquire) or do not really give much of an advantage. 

-Weapon attachments all come with their disadvantages. 

Zergfest? Only if you do not squad up and have no idea what you are doing so you just use hotspots to enter battles. Any bit of knowlegde and experience in this game and you would have known that this is the wrong way to play. Join a squad and you will constantly have small tactical skirmishes over all the continents.

Pointless? Not any more pointless than any other shooter out there. That is what this game is, a shooter. NOT A RPG. The point is to conquer all the continents not to gain awesome stuff. Join an outfit and rivalry and large tactical warfare will make this game interesting in the long run. But still, its primarily a shooter....

In conclusion: You base your opinion on a very limited experience with a game that you barely understood. Next time you have one, please make sure you get the facts straight. Calling this game P2W gives away you do not have a clue and are probably just bad at shooters.

It's a shame you've never experienced a real game and happy with this grade F dog chow :D

Siveria nailed this game review on the head

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Regarding p2w, yes you can buy different guns from the cash shop, but they aren't any better than the stock gun, you may get more range say, but then it will be countered by having a lower fire rate.

There are cert items that do improve your character like various armour mods, scopes and c4. But you cant buy them directly. They come through xp only. Now you can pay to level faster, by subscribing but that's not the same as pay 2 win.

If you consider planetside 2 p2w, gw2 is worse because WvW Is a massive gold sink forcing players to either cash shop it grind pve so they can afford siege equipment and repairs. Ps2 has no such issues, vehicles and aircraft come from a resource pool and there are no repairs.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Indeed, today I actually noticed how people from both factions ran away from the fight after just taking a base and only came back to quickly retake it once it had been re-captured.

It's not really win-trading because there are no deals about this, but it pretty much appears to have the same effect.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Actually, defending a base is infinitely more rewarding than winning one. The difference is that winning gives a flat reward, while defending gives percentage increase for all actions. Considering that capping certain bases turn into a meatgrinding session, holding a base at all costs rewards infinite more to the defenders than to the attackers. Here's the numbers (all numbers are without the personal boosters from booster packs or premium membership that would apply in both cases anyway):

Offence:

• Small base - 250 points
    • Medium base - 500 points
    • Large base - 1000 points
    The max reward of 1000 points is 10 kills worth of exp.

Defence:
    • Small base - 5% increase in all exp gain
    • Medium base - 10% increase in all exp gain
    • Large base - 15% increase in all exp gain
    The bottom line is that the stronger the defence is, the bigger the gap between the reward for holding a base as oppose to capturing one becomes. The longer you manage to defend, the more rewarded you become.
  • ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Actually, defending a base is infinitely more rewarding than winning one. The difference is that winning gives a flat reward, while defending gives percentage increase for all actions. Considering that capping certain bases turn into a meatgrinding session, holding a base at all costs rewards infinite more to the defenders than to the attackers. Here's the numbers (all numbers are without the personal boosters from booster packs or premium membership that would apply in both cases anyway):

Offence:

• Small base - 250 points
    • Medium base - 500 points
    • Large base - 1000 points
    The max reward of 1000 points is 10 kills worth of exp.

Defence:
    • Small base - 5% increase in all exp gain
    • Medium base - 10% increase in all exp gain
    • Large base - 15% increase in all exp gain
    The bottom line is that the stronger the defence is, the bigger the gap between the reward for holding a base as oppose to capturing one becomes. The longer you manage to defend, the more rewarded you become.

one of the developer interviews confirmed this and declared that the system was not explicitly notifying players of the statistical gains for defense, but would make it much more clear ASAP. rest assured, you ARE getting a nice benefit from defensive action in the game.

cheers Xasapis!

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    When i was playing the main thing i saw that bugged me is that people charge head first into the biggest battle. When the majority of the time bases are taken by a small task force.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    When i was playing the main thing i saw that bugged me is that people charge head first into the biggest battle. When the majority of the time bases are taken by a small task force.

Most people playing are soloers looking for excitement. Strategic play is not their priority.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    The point is to retain territory so you can keep pushing out. The other point is so you can have fun killing people. I thought it was obvious.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

It's not pay2win. I can get high scores on a no cert character.

If you think there's no purpose or point, then just quit playing FPS altogether. You won't get anything from shooters.

I find the game enjoyable. Bombing from liberators, dogfighting in aircraft. Shooting people. Assembling a 20 man tank raid. It has as much and more than any other FPS.