Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Time to try a vehicular MMO again?

2

Comments

  • HelleriHelleri Felton, CAPosts: 927Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by fenistil

    @Helleri

     

    WoT is not really MMO imo though.  Afterall you play in instanced maps-arenas.   It is similar game type-framework like LoL or Battlefield 3.     Mutliplayer or multilplayer online battle arena.  You enter arenas (maps) and fight battles there.

    Your account and your tanks (characters) are persistant but where you play is not.   Just like in BF3 or Diablo 3.

     

    Only real mmo element in WoT is map where guilds fight for teritorial control, but that's side-feature that is used by small fraction of player's.

     

    I think shooters barely fit the mould in general. As, they rarely hit the major aspects of being an MMO (Massive, Multiplayer, Online). In the strictest sense of 'MMO' WoT fits the header term not only better then many shooters, but better then some more typical MMO's.

     

    - Massive (Maps).

    While it is true all the maps are instanced and some are kept persistent by player initiative. Their use in instance is constant. Which is more then can be said of a lot of more genre-centric MMO's with their somtimes dozens of instanced dungeons, PvP battle fields, POH and more.

     

    These maps are also truly massive. If your in a tank with a top speed of 40 it can take you 2-3 to get all the way across a map. Translate that down to if a character were running or walking it at a 1/8 to 1/10 the speed. Put me on my flame amistad in Aika online and I can run the length of the mainland area in a loop in under 5 I think.

     

    And on WoT maps the physics make it so terrain plays a real factor in speed. There is also a cover/camo system for the maps. And a destructable environment, that is very well done. So one could make the argument that you couldn't be reasonable on rescources and run such dynamic maps non-instanced.And, if you think about it, in many MMO's there are usually a good number of dead areas, wheras in WoT everywhere gets used.

     

    - Multiplayer/Player ability.

    WoT has a larger active player base then a lot of MMO's I play. Take the EVE server I am on atm... 19k people. The WoT server I am on...Usually no less then 30k-50k people. EVE I feel is fair comparison here because WoT's players have the same kind of access to different classed transports and modifications to said transports along relevent tech tree's (even though EVE's maps are not instanced, the actually pretty restrictive movement in the game, and destination to destination modes of travle make it feel like moving from one instance to another).

     

    - Online.

    WoT is online (of course), But, importantly when you go back to your garage and in-game even there is a communication system which keeps you in constant contact with the rest of the player base. This is more then can be said for other MMO's like dead frontier.

     

    My overall argument in responce to you, is that WoT while in the Team Based Shooter arena deserves exeption to be considered an MMO, as it doesn't just barely meet the definitive characteristics, but does it  (on one note or another) better then some MMO's we have no issues considering MMO's.

     

    Also...tank beats everything (logic you can argue with but remember...tank beats everything).

     

     

     

    image

  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Chicago, ILPosts: 2,236Member Uncommon
    I played the heck out of Autoduel back in the day.  A recreation of Steve Jackson's Car Wars would be great.  I want to go shopping at Uncle Albert's!

    __________________________
    "Its sad when people use religion to feel superior, its even worse to see people using a video game to do it."
    --Arcken

    "...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

    "It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Las Vegas, NVPosts: 606Member Uncommon

       I don't know about anyone else, but I've been waiting for the GTA MMO for several years now.

     

  • dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

       I don't know about anyone else, but I've been waiting for the GTA MMO for several years now.

     

    I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like the GTA series.

    I'd prefer something more along the lines of the original Driver.

    “There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

  • ZorgoZorgo Deepintheheartof, TXPosts: 2,226Member

    I wonder if Auto Assault has any private servers.

    Anyone remember that game? What was it live for? 2 months?

    Anyway, it was a completely vehicular mmo. Kinda fun. Kinda small. Kinda unpopulated.......maybe it's failure is why we have few vehicular mmos......

  • apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Beatnik59
    I played the heck out of Autoduel back in the day.  A recreation of Steve Jackson's Car Wars would be great.  I want to go shopping at Uncle Albert's!

    I just nerdgasm'd  lol.  I would love to see Autoduel brought back.  I remember playing it on Commodore 64.  Even top down it would be great..and I too would love to see uncle alberts uh i guess it would be 2062 winter collection :)

    No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

  • apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

       I don't know about anyone else, but I've been waiting for the GTA MMO for several years now.

     

    I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like the GTA series.

    I'd prefer something more along the lines of the original Driver.

    Two of us bro  err not liking GTA  never played driver

    No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

  • KalafaxKalafax Gainesville, FLPosts: 522Member Uncommon

    I played Auto Assault the whole time it was in beta and it was amazing, then right before launch they did an overhaul which really killed it and caused all of the performance issues( Reminds me of how Tabula Rasa went down the drain aswell, Great in Beta, Terrible at Launch ).

    It was a unique idea and was a great game, its just to bad they pulled the plug on it before really giving it a chance to be fixed and land on its feet. Its the only true MMO Vehicle game thats come out to date in my opinion, games with limit amount of people per map and matchs are not what I consider Persistent Multiplayer Worlds, Auto Assault on the otherhand was.

    Mess with the best, Die like the rest

  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,719Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zorgo

    I wonder if Auto Assault has any private servers.

    Anyone remember that game? What was it live for? 2 months?

    Anyway, it was a completely vehicular mmo. Kinda fun. Kinda small. Kinda unpopulated.......maybe it's failure is why we have few vehicular mmos......

    Anyone remember... lol. I just referred AA in my posts, OP's first sentence is: Is it time to try an MMO such as Auto Assault again?, so I guess yep, a few of us do remember AA :)

    And 2 months? Make it a year. Unpopulated? I don't think so... Nor small. Had 3 factions.

     

    But I agree, now that NCsoft killed CoH, maybe they could re-launch AA with the money they saved. Just for the fun, without any modification (there are indie games on the market with worse gfx than AA had 5 years ago). I wonder, how many people would try it :)

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    No I'm not into gta either.

    Despite being friends with some of the guys that make it.

    Mind I don't think 40 year old bloke is gta Target audience.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,477Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Quirhid

    Is it time to try an MMO such as Auto Assault again? I remember it had serious performance issues, but say if it wasn't just the shoddy programming, wouldn't you like to see it done with a modern engine?

    Forget the avatars, forget the customization and all that unimportant shit, just start with a good game: well made driving, well made combat and enough variety in the vehicles you can drive and the game modes / objectives you can have. You can add the other things later.

    What do you say?

     Like Auto Assault?  No, that was a steaming pile.....

     

    Now a Car Wars MMO would get my vote!

  • dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Beatnik59
    I played the heck out of Autoduel back in the day.  A recreation of Steve Jackson's Car Wars would be great.  I want to go shopping at Uncle Albert's!

    Now there's an idea.

    “There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Mad max
    Interstate 76
    Death race 2000

    One of them. I really like the idea of interstate 76 as a mmo though, its got that cool thing like fallout where its post apocalypse future but also 50s, but in this case 70s
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,719Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Beatnik59
    I played the heck out of Autoduel back in the day.  A recreation of Steve Jackson's Car Wars would be great.  I want to go shopping at Uncle Albert's!

    Now there's an idea.

    It's enough only for a seed... I mean if they put the whole boardgame onto pc, that's still only a LoL-like battleground fighting game. There's no story, no content, no open world, only.. cars... in war :)

  • dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Mad max
    Interstate 76
    Death race 2000

    One of them. I really like the idea of interstate 76 as a mmo though, its got that cool thing like fallout where its post apocalypse future but also 50s, but in this case 70s

    Wow... Interstate 76.  There's a blast from the past.  I haven't heard anyone mention that game in a long long time.

    “There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

  • QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Mad max
    Interstate 76
    Death race 2000

    One of them. I really like the idea of interstate 76 as a mmo though, its got that cool thing like fallout where its post apocalypse future but also 50s, but in this case 70s

    Wow... Interstate 76.  There's a blast from the past.  I haven't heard anyone mention that game in a long long time.

    I was thinking along those lines too. I'd also add Bandits in there too, despite being a fairly average game.

    I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

  • Twilight33Twilight33 San Marcos, TXPosts: 36Member
    i miss AA. for all its flaws i enjoyed it.

    image
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper LondonPosts: 2,751Member

    Carmageddon the mmo does sound quite a laugh, or something like Mad Max.

     

    Can't see why a vehicle based mmo wouldn't work.

    "Come and have a look at what you could have won."

  • fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member
    Originally posted by Helleri
    Originally posted by fenistil

    @Helleri

     

    WoT is not really MMO imo though.  Afterall you play in instanced maps-arenas.   It is similar game type-framework like LoL or Battlefield 3.     Mutliplayer or multilplayer online battle arena.  You enter arenas (maps) and fight battles there.

    Your account and your tanks (characters) are persistant but where you play is not.   Just like in BF3 or Diablo 3.

     

    Only real mmo element in WoT is map where guilds fight for teritorial control, but that's side-feature that is used by small fraction of player's.

     

    I think shooters barely fit the mould in general. As, they rarely hit the major aspects of being an MMO (Massive, Multiplayer, Online). In the strictest sense of 'MMO' WoT fits the header term not only better then many shooters, but better then some more typical MMO's.

     

    - Massive (Maps).

    While it is true all the maps are instanced and some are kept persistent by player initiative. Their use in instance is constant. Which is more then can be said of a lot of more genre-centric MMO's with their somtimes dozens of instanced dungeons, PvP battle fields, POH and more.

     

    These maps are also truly massive. If your in a tank with a top speed of 40 it can take you 2-3 to get all the way across a map. Translate that down to if a character were running or walking it at a 1/8 to 1/10 the speed. Put me on my flame amistad in Aika online and I can run the length of the mainland area in a loop in under 5 I think.

     

    And on WoT maps the physics make it so terrain plays a real factor in speed. There is also a cover/camo system for the maps. And a destructable environment, that is very well done. So one could make the argument that you couldn't be reasonable on rescources and run such dynamic maps non-instanced.And, if you think about it, in many MMO's there are usually a good number of dead areas, wheras in WoT everywhere gets used.

     

    - Multiplayer/Player ability.

    WoT has a larger active player base then a lot of MMO's I play. Take the EVE server I am on atm... 19k people. The WoT server I am on...Usually no less then 30k-50k people. EVE I feel is fair comparison here because WoT's players have the same kind of access to different classed transports and modifications to said transports along relevent tech tree's (even though EVE's maps are not instanced, the actually pretty restrictive movement in the game, and destination to destination modes of travle make it feel like moving from one instance to another).

     

    - Online.

    WoT is online (of course), But, importantly when you go back to your garage and in-game even there is a communication system which keeps you in constant contact with the rest of the player base. This is more then can be said for other MMO's like dead frontier.

     

    My overall argument in responce to you, is that WoT while in the Team Based Shooter arena deserves exeption to be considered an MMO, as it doesn't just barely meet the definitive characteristics, but does it  (on one note or another) better then some MMO's we have no issues considering MMO's.

     

    Also...tank beats everything (logic you can argue with but remember...tank beats everything).

     

     

     

    Think we just disagree what mmo is.

    WoT can have 30 players max playing with themself at same time.  That's why it is not an mmo.  If it is - then CoD, BF3, LoL, Diablo, Chivalry, Starcraft, Natural Selection 2, Medal of Honor, Halo, Red Orchestra, Forge, Dota 2, Smite, PoE etc all are also an MMO.  

      Not that it is officially defined. Anyway since your approach is winning,

    I wonder how much time will pass since naturally new acronym for 'virtual persistant world games with ability to hundreads of players play with each other at same time' will emerge. 

    Human mind just work like that. It categorizes things.  Category become very big?  New category emerge. 

    That's why UO and other mmorpg's when they released were called mmorpg's and not simply mutliplayer or mulitplayer rpg which was in wide use.

    That's why Planetside 1 was called mmofps and not just multiplayer fps, like all other multiplayer fps shooters. 

    and so on...

    It might happen in one year and it might happen in 5 or in 10, but it will.

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by fenistil
     

    Think we just disagree what mmo is.

    WoT can have 30 players max playing with themself at same time.  That's why it is not an mmo.  If it is - then CoD, BF3, LoL, Diablo, Chivalry, Starcraft, Natural Selection 2, Medal of Honor, Halo, Red Orchestra, Forge, Dota 2, Smite, PoE etc all are also an MMO.  

      Not that it is officially defined. Anyway since your approach is winning,

    I wonder how much time will pass since naturally new acronym for 'virtual persistant world games with ability to hundreads of players play with each other at same time' will emerge. 

    May be you can push for that. I think VWMMO (virtual world MMO) can be a good name. I have no problem using it. The genre did indeed get big. The lines between SP games with MP features and MMOs are blurred everyday. D3 is a good example. YOu do dungeon runs, solo or MP, and then you trade on AH. And you can chat and have a friend list .. virtually what many are doing in WOW.

    PS2 is another example. FPS on a open world, but no crafting, no AH, and none of the usual MMO trappings. Essentially Halo (with multiple-person vehiles) in a large zone. In fact, i wouldn't even call PS2 a world .. it is more like a very very large zone.

     

  • fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
     

    May be you can push for that. I think VWMMO (virtual world MMO) can be a good name. I have no problem using it. The genre did indeed get big. The lines between SP games with MP features and MMOs are blurred everyday. D3 is a good example. YOu do dungeon runs, solo or MP, and then you trade on AH. And you can chat and have a friend list .. virtually what many are doing in WOW.

    PS2 is another example. FPS on a open world, but no crafting, no AH, and none of the usual MMO trappings. Essentially Halo (with multiple-person vehiles) in a large zone. In fact, i wouldn't even call PS2 a world .. it is more like a very very large zone.

     

    Yeah, lines were and are always blurry.  After all all names and definitions we as humans give to groups of things are and always will be imperfect.  Still world has too many 'objects' for lack of better word and it is impossible to indepedently asses without any even smallest categorizations and generalizations and definitions, etc reality that is around us. 

    Yeah it is unpopular to say that, because most western societes are focused more or less on individuality and because of potential of bad things generalizations can cause.  There will be always some things that will escape any categorizations or that will be so hybridal that will belong to many.

    Anyway - knife is not a bad thing just because you can kill someone with it.

    It is just a tool, so definitions and acronyms are :)   Just tools.

     

    edit: VWMMO sounds quite alright. I wonder if MMOVWG (massively multiplayer online virtual world game) or MMVWG (not sure if online is not kinda obvious anyway)  would not be better. After all I doubt many people want real virtual worlds to live on in. Even EVE or SWG or UO or any other mmorpg's build with mimicking fantasy worlds to a degree (even Vanilla WoW in very small degree) were just games after all.  I like games like that but as game still, as temporary thing, not permanent "home" I will transfer my real life to :)

  • CastillleCastillle KhobarPosts: 2,703Member Uncommon

    Champions Online is definitely pushing their vehicles but theres really only one piece of content yo ucan use it on and thats Sky Command.  But yeah you can outfit your vehicle with all kinds of stuff o.o 

    A word of warning though - Their cash shop is just redic and you need to buy the vehicles off the cash shop.

    ''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

  • ScotScot UKPosts: 5,769Member Uncommon
    I played AA and I am trying to remember, did you not have an avatar when you went to bases? So long ago! I liked AA, shame it did not make it. They tried to do something differant so thats good in my book. If people really want an avatar I would say go for avatars in bases, after all it is at hubs that people get to see each other in MMO's mostly anyway.
  • RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Quirhid

    Is it time to try an MMO such as Auto Assault again? I remember it had serious performance issues, but say if it wasn't just the shoddy programming, wouldn't you like to see it done with a modern engine?

    Forget the avatars, forget the customization and all that unimportant shit, just start with a good game: well made driving, well made combat and enough variety in the vehicles you can drive and the game modes / objectives you can have. You can add the other things later.

    What do you say?

    You might want to try Motorstorm and similar games on the Xboxes..  There are plenty of lobby based auto games where you can compete against other players..  check them out,, oh and you con't have to pay some dunb subscription plan to drive them..

  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,719Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Scot
    I played AA and I am trying to remember, did you not have an avatar when you went to bases? So long ago! I liked AA, shame it did not make it. They tried to do something differant so thats good in my book. If people really want an avatar I would say go for avatars in bases, after all it is at hubs that people get to see each other in MMO's mostly anyway.

    Yep, you had. The setting was a dangerous, post-apocalyptic world, where you are not safe except in your car, and there are safe settlements, where you can stretch your legs :)

    so one part of the game was a wow-ish setup, where you strolling around the towns, talking with npc-s, training up yourself as a driver, upgrading your cars or buying new ones. And then you hopped in one of your vehicle to drive out, and the game switched to the bigger part, questing / exploring / combat with your car in the open world.

     

    Edit: look what I dug out under the dustheap labeled as OldStuff :)

2
Sign In or Register to comment.