Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do yourself a favor and don't buy Cartel Packs

Comments

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Elikal

Those packs have a very, very slim chance to contain anything useful. I had some extra money this months and bough 8 Crime Lords Packs, and I got NOTHING of use. It's just a scam. If you see people with that flying throne or Nihilus mask or White Saber Crystal, they are extremely lucky. You can see the chance is slim and you may end up investing much into nothing. I had expected the chance for something cool was bigger. Alas, it wasn't.

It's just a scam.

Consider yourself warned.

You just learned this? Never collected any sort of Cards before?

It would be idiotic for me to believe I would get a Charizard even after buying 8 packs of pokemon cards.

tis comical for an adult to whine about something kids learn while in elementary school.image

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    You know... you can get these titles and stuff for cartel packs. Strangely, I feel that not opening those packs is more deserving of a title.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by defector1968

guys? the items like thorne or crystal or speeders are BoP or BoE?

in SWG was BoE which is huge diference

They are BoE, and are sold on the GTN for millions of credits. Looking at the GTN right now (Prophecy of the 5 server) they are going for between 2.5 and 5 million credits (the throne that is). No idea how long it takes to get that much, but I'd imagine it's a while. Personally, if it were an option to just flat out buy the item with cash, or spend days/weeks grinding for credits, I'd rather just drop a few bucks.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

They are BoE, and are sold on the GTN for millions of credits. Looking at the GTN right now (Prophecy of the 5 server) they are going for between 2.5 and 5 million credits. No idea how long it takes to get that much, but I'd imagine it's a while. Personally, if it were an option to just flat out buy the item with cash, or spend days/weeks grinding for credits, I'd rather just drop a few bucks.

Throne is very rare. I spent a fortune on boxes and it dropped just once. I got like 40 other speeders though /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

They are BoE, and are sold on the GTN for millions of credits. Looking at the GTN right now (Prophecy of the 5 server) they are going for between 2.5 and 5 million credits. No idea how long it takes to get that much, but I'd imagine it's a while. Personally, if it were an option to just flat out buy the item with cash, or spend days/weeks grinding for credits, I'd rather just drop a few bucks.

Throne is very rare. I spent a fortune on boxes and it dropped just once. I got like 40 other speeders though /grin

That's asinine, IMHO. Sure, if you have the disposable income like you apparently do to buy the boxes, sure, have at it I suppose. I still think it's a horrible idea to sell boxes with the CHANCE of the item you want, rather than selling the item by itself.

That's asinine, IMHO. Sure, if you have the disposable income like you apparently do to buy the boxes, sure, have at it I suppose. I still think it's a horrible idea to sell boxes with the CHANCE of the item you want, rather than selling the item by itself.

Yeah I like too much the sound of them opening LOL... darn bioWareimage. I don't mind though, as they also drop grade 7 crafting materials which is handy for my crafters (I have all professions).

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

i bought 4 packs with my free cartel coins I got a bunch of high level mats 3 vehicles red and gold eye glow thingies, pink color crystal an emote and a neat looking headgear piece. I think i came out pretty good.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

The best drop aside of throne was for me rifles and heavy blasters... darn they sound good LOL. The visuals are cool too. And the assault cannon for my trooper is cool too. Lighsabers both double bladed and single bladed have cool visuals too. Also absolutely love my low athmosphere probe (pet) - it's really cool to have it follow you.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    I've bought 6 packs so far, 5 mil credits later and a Sith Throne mount to my name, I'm happy. Don't hate the game because your luck sucks.

agreed . i got almost the same stuff :)

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    The best drop aside of throne was for me rifles and heavy blasters... darn they sound good LOL. The visuals are cool too. And the assault cannon for my trooper is cool too. Lighsabers both double bladed and single bladed have cool visuals too. Also absolutely love my low athmosphere probe (pet) - it's really cool to have it follow you.

so cool :)

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Guild Wars 2 has the same system with their Black Lion Chests. After experiencing that during the first month.. Never again.

It is legalized gambling and nothing more. As more and more games copy this system I would not be surprised if we see court cases involving such things. 

Save your money. 

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by skydiver12

Originally posted by DashiDMV

Originally posted by DeniZg As a person with legal background, I wonder whether those packs are legal in many of the countries, especially the EU ones. They look pretty much like lottery to me, since buyer does not know what he or she is getting. I believe you need to have special government permits for such activities. Bioware most likely did their legal homework, but still, would be an interesting separate topic.

The way they get around not being classified as gambling is you get an item every time. Even if it is crap, since you get an item every time, you are technically always getting something for your money.

I have seen games that have gamble items that give gamble items as prizes. It's a mess. 

That's wrong.

It's not considered "gambling" because you don't get [material] value, neither can you trade your virtual goods for [material] value. That's why it isn't considered "gambling" by the legals.

Boxes in the cartel market are considered a service.

Whenever you get always "something" [inferiour] or nothing does not matter to the nature of "gambling". It's still gambling. If i would give you a 2$ drink for each 10.000 you bet and lose, it's still gambling.

That is only true if the items from the "cartel packs" can not be sold to other players.

If they can be sold, for cash on 3rd party websites for example, then this type of activity may violate gaming laws in one or more places, because then those things actually would have value.

If that is true in the case of TOR, I don't know, as I am not bothing to play this game.

For other games, 3rd party item sales have/do take place.

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    You must have bad luck is all I have to say. Bought three, got a purple speeder, and 10 bio crystals. Well worth it.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Honestly, they should have different colors of items you could BUY, along with "cool colors" in the packs too.

I think they'd make a killing selling some variations of items in the packs for money, as well as making the packs cheaper a little, with the items in them rare, but a little better.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by Burntvet

Originally posted by DeniZg As a person with legal background, I wonder whether those packs are legal in many of the countries, especially the EU ones. They look pretty much like lottery to me, since buyer does not know what he or she is getting. I believe you need to have special government permits for such activities. Bioware most likely did their legal homework, but still, would be an interesting separate topic.
        The way they get around not being classified as gambling is you get an item every time. Even if it is crap, since you get an item every time, you are technically always getting something for your money.   I have seen games that have gamble items that give gamble items as prizes. It's a mess. 
    That's wrong.   It's not considered "gambling" because you don't get [material] value, neither can you trade your virtual goods for [material] value. That's why it isn't considered "gambling" by the legals. Boxes in the cartel market are considered a service. Whenever you get always "something" [inferiour] or nothing does not matter to the nature of "gambling". It's still gambling. If i would give you a 2$ drink for each 10.000 you bet and lose, it's still gambling.
    That is only true if the items from the "cartel packs" can not be sold to other players.

If they can be sold, for cash on 3rd party websites for example, then this type of activity may violate gaming laws in one or more places, because then those things actually would have value.

If that is true in the case of TOR, I don't know, as I am not bothing to play this game.

No, it does not affect the legality of "gambling" for EAWARE if someone (3th party) unallowed sells virtual goods for material goods. EAWARE is not accountable for their doing.

Selling virtuall goods themselves as a private person is considered a paid SERVICE, and as such not (yet) enforced by any law regulations. What most account / gold buyers don't realize is, they can't sue goldfarmers for not delivering.

EAWARE can't close your account (terminate their service to your account) but they can't demand the money you obtained from any account or virtual item sales.

Unless you live in South Korea. :D
    /enough OT

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

I bought 4 packs with cartel coins i got for being  asubscriber during release. Got two pets, one rare pistol that i gave to my smuggler, one rare speeder and some toys like that  red eye glow and republic flag.

So i guess i am lucky? i got something out of every pack i opened.

And no i don't want others to stop buying cartel packs because then i won't have option to buy adaptive armors, pets, mounts, toys and weapon skins from GTN for stellar prices.

Bad advice OP;)

Its optional so for those with spare cash and less in game money they can open CC for rest of us who have enough in game currency can buy it from GTN. All these items can be traded so everyone wins.

• dx2killadx2killa Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Honestly, simple answer is, you dont have to buy them. Hey if you have the spare cash and want to have chance at geting some neat items then you can buy them and try simple as that. I spent good chunk of change and yea there is a lot of random junk you get like multiples of the same speeder etc but I've gotten the throne, almost every weapon so far and about 5 different types of the pink-purple crystals and there great to give to leveling characters as they only require level 10. I put lot stuff on the gtn and probably going to make a couple mil, for the money I spent on the packs I probably couldnt buy the credits from a farmer and I get to keep some cool items i want! Lets complain about something you have a choice to do or dont!
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Its optional so for those with spare cash and less in game money they can open CC for rest of us who have enough in game currency can buy it from GTN. All these items can be traded so everyone wins.

If you put more cash in to the game,you lose and house wins.

If you get something out of the game without spending any,you win.

People who gambles ,they do have spare cash,but that doesnt mean that when they use it then they win,sorry.

Let's internet

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Lol, I had a terrible nightmare: I was constantly buying Cartel Packs and nothing was in them!

LOL XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    My daughter bought the lower one (150 coins or something) and got a speeder, then she bought the 300 and someting coin one and got nothing worth anything. I dont think they are worth it to me, but not a bad thing to have in game for some.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Burntvet

The way they get around not being classified as gambling is you get an item every time. Even if it is crap, since you get an item every time, you are technically always getting something for your money.   I have seen games that have gamble items that give gamble items as prizes. It's a mess. 
    That's wrong.   It's not considered "gambling" because you don't get [material] value, neither can you trade your virtual goods for [material] value. That's why it isn't considered "gambling" by the legals. Boxes in the cartel market are considered a service. Whenever you get always "something" [inferiour] or nothing does not matter to the nature of "gambling". It's still gambling. If i would give you a 2$ drink for each 10.000 you bet and lose, it's still gambling.

No, it does not affect the legality of "gambling" for EAWARE if someone (3th party) unallowed sells virtual goods for material goods. EAWARE is not accountable for their doing.

Selling virtuall goods themselves as a private person is considered a paid SERVICE, and as such not (yet) enforced by any law regulations. What most account / gold buyers don't realize is, they can't sue goldfarmers for not delivering.

EAWARE can't close your account (terminate their service to your account) but they can't demand the money you obtained from any account or virtual item sales.

Unless you live in South Korea. :D
    /enough OT

You don't get it.

If someone pays $1 for "random loot bag" and an item in that bag can be resold either at a 3rd party site or otherwise for say $100, that item has monetary value (whether it is a good, i.e. a bag of rocks or a service i.e. getting your car washed, is irrelevent). If those items can not be resold or traded, then problem largely solved.

But if people are paying $1 for a chance to get an item that can be sold for $100, and it is EA doing the selling, that is a problem for EA as far as gambling laws are concerned.

If the virtual items can be resold, i.e sold for real money, it probably violates gambling laws.

What EA/BW does or does not do to anyone's acct is irrelevant. That people do it and it violates the law is enough.

That it is not enforced more is simply that the law has not caught up yet, but it is slowly getting there. (SOE ran afoul of several states gambling laws with their TCG and TCG tournaments. And they were forced to stop some of their activities in several US States.)

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

This kind of stuff really makes me sick. Everything should be obtainable in game. These cash shop crap things just ruin these games. Yes I know wow has the same basic thing with the TOC games and while I bought a few packs when they first came out, I didn't buy them for the free ingame stuff I bought them for game itself, but in the end the game wasnt that interesting.

You shouldn't have to pay money to get items imo, not even cosmetic items and especially it shouldn't be a CHANCE. If you want to sell items, at least just sell the items. Chance should be for ingame drops, not things you pay money for that are otherwise pretty worthless.

Im really starting to hate this industry.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    Gambling boxes are by far the most exploitive thing the gaming industry has come up with. But I'm afraid it's the future of gaming. Not just F2P, Mass Effect 3 had them somewhat

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    Gambling involves luck? Who knew?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I've played the game for a couple months at launch, and a couple days after the F2P conversion. This game isn't worth investing in, period.  Everything in this game is a scam. Bioware is no longer Bioware, and they deserve no success from this incompetent failure of an MMO.