Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Not So Big and Bad

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the most exciting parts of any MMO is taking on some gigantic behemoth in a battle to the death, hopefully the big guys. In our latest Guild Wars 2 column, we take a look at epic battles with some of the massive beasts inhabiting Tyria and offer our impressions. Check it out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

As I grew up I spent a ton of my time playing video games.  Defeating goombas and slaying ninjas became an everyday activity.  But I lived for the boss fights!  It doesn’t matter what genre of game of you play, the big boss is always waiting around the corner  to put your skills to the ultimate tests.  With ArenaNet throwing dragons into Guild Wars 2, you will fight against one of the most powerful creatures in fantasy.  For me, the larger the enemy is, the more rewarding it is to bring them down. 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Not so Big and Bad.

Who wouldn’t be scared if this beast was looking down on you?!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

Well that arcticle was just boring to read. (for me)

And you guys make me really hate this game, posting every 3days a new article about gw2.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    I agree, its fun to take down huge bosses that require 50 people, in an open world. However, it doesnt feel very epic because the dragons respawn an hour later, and the whole event is very scripted and/or grindy.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    I agree, its fun to take down huge bosses that require 50 people, in an open world. However, it doesnt feel very epic because the dragons respawn an hour later, and the whole event is very scripted and/or grindy.

Like Rift, WoW, etc. It happens.....

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

First off.. The Shatterer DOES NOT shift the ground as he flies above it...

The "branded path" you see in the world was made by Kralkatorrik which is the elder dragon...

The only BIG dragon which is available for us to fight is Zhaitan. The undead elder dragon, and he truly is MASSIVE...

I see alot of things in this article that bothered you, which would be understandable if you knew the role of the world pre-gw2.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• rogielrogiel Member UncommonPosts: 21

Actually Korent1991, Despite your 'impressive' knowledge of GW2 lore, I think knowing that megatarantulah the third made the 'branded path' does not influence any of the things the author proposed about boss-fight mechanics at all.. So, while completely disregarding your amazing, but entirely redundant comment; I too think GW2 dragon fights could be made a lot harder; it know comprises nothing more than surviving the ocassional stomp, getting rezzed every now and then, and grabbing your generally crappy loot..

The devs could for example make these fights hard enough to at the least require coordinate group action to take it down rather than mass spamming the beast to death; something which in DAOC and other MMO dragon fights could take about 30 mins to an hour, and something that was rewarded with some really nice stuffy (generally).

Anyway, I love GW2! Best MMO in recent years to have been released. Cheers!

"If I had the stars of the darkest nights or the diamonds from the deepest ocean, I would forsake them all for your sweet kiss"

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

Then some good news. ANet want to revisit dungeons, bosses and other aspects of the game that suffer in long term and make them better. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    The world dragon fights are horrible and laughable. 
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    All of the fighting is horrible and laughable. After my first one I was like oh man I would like to continue playing but I forgot I needed to go gouge my eyes out.

WOW - FD and Rockniss - I would think that you have had enough of the self-loathing type of behavior. Gouge my eyes out, over a game? Really? Hyperbole Alert!!! I am surprised you didn't say, 'Shoot myself in the head!'

As was stated, only one Elder Dragon can he fought, and that is in a Dungeon, not out in the open.

I guess the next updates to the game will include the other Elder Dragons - that will be interesting to see how they are developed.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Well at least one plus is there gonna rework them horrible dungeons..

I mean really these so called dungeon's, its basically who can rez and get back to fight the fastest before the mob resets....

Originally posted by nationalcity

Well at least one plus is there gonna rework them horrible dungeons..

I mean really these so called dungeon's, its basically who can rez and get back to fight the fastest before the mob resets....

I know quite a few peopel who have done the dungeons w/o dying. It can happen if you communicate and undersstand the mechanics. 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I agree. The dragon fights lack in action. The only impressive thing about the dragons the first time, is how they arrive. The fight after is way too easy.

The event with the giant that sometimes attacks a Charr stronghold (forgot outpost and area name) and stomps around inside it, killing everything in sight, was a lot more impressive to fight then some of the dragons.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by mCalvert

Like Rift, WoW, etc. It happens.....

Sadly, its far FAR FAR worse than Rift or even WOW.  I did 3 of the major boss fights in the game and everyone one of them involved 20 minutes of a huge zerg standing in one spot spamming one ranged ability, getting knocked back by something, running back to the same spot and spamming one ability.

There was 0 skill involved, and to try to make it feel more epic they just piled on the HP on the boss, so even with 50-100 people wacking on it, it still took for friggin ever.  It was literally the biggest joke of an excuse for boss fights ive ever seen in a game

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MilitantMilitant Member Posts: 48
    /Agree on the dragon fights.. Visually the dragons look great and have nice entrances but the actual fights are brutally boring.. Spam charzooka/ranged abilities or get 1 shot.. Get knocked back/break barrier.. Spam again. Loot is utter garbage 99.999% of the time you dont even get a rare (and i got plenty of magic find.. Doesnt seem to effect chests).. If you cant even be gaurunteed a rare from a dragon chest it's an utter waste of time after doing it once for the experience.
    Originally posted by Militant
    /Agree on the dragon fights.. Visually the dragons look great and have nice entrances but the actual fights are brutally boring.. Spam charzooka/ranged abilities or get 1 shot.. Get knocked back/break barrier.. Spam again. Loot is utter garbage 99.999% of the time you dont even get a rare (and i got plenty of magic find.. Doesnt seem to effect chests).. If you cant even be gaurunteed a rare from a dragon chest it's an utter waste of time after doing it once for the experience.

Magic find doesn't work right now - they know about it.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Have not tried the new improved shatterer fight, but before the change the only dragon i had to move on was claw of jormag. Tequila the drunken and the shatterer was a ranger's favorite fight no moving needed lmao.
  • SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by makii

And you guys make me really hate this game, posting every 3days a new article about gw2.

Who says you have to read them when they're posted? If it bothers you this much then don't click the link. Simple as that :)

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by BethelsBoy
    Originally posted by makii

Who says you have to read them when they're posted? If it bothers you this much then don't click the link. Simple as that :)

If you don't like something, avoid it rather than complain about it!

imo, the main problem with making these bosses challenging is the size of them. The game is designed so we have to roll about a lot to avoid being hit, but these bosses are so large that our tiny rolls would not make any difference. The amount of hp thay have is also pathetic!

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78

I fully agree with the Author, the 3 world boss dragons are epic to watch the first time zou fight them, but the actual encounters are very dull. It is next to impossible to die during The Shatterer and Teocatl The Sunless events. The Hand of Jormag is actually quite okay, but difficulty here is also only a question of player numbers. Biggest disappointment is the "climatic" fight against Zaitan. Despite being in a dungeon it is incredibly boring and doesnt require and actual player actions beside shooting him with cannons.

WoW did a much better job with Big Bosses and especially with Open World bosses. Classic had 5 world dragon fights on a weekly respawn per server and they couldn't be zerged down by numbers. They felt powerful and threatening, despite looking like crap by todays standards. The Shatterer looks amazing when you see him in action, but he is at no point a danger to the players and havin him on a 3 hour timer makes it very boring for repeated visits. ArenaNet should maybe try the WoW approach to worldbosses with new encounters, make them really hard, have them block a part of the map and respawn them on a 48 basis. However, most important they all need mechanics, that make them Zerg-resistant.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

I think this is a bit of a problem... if you tone dragons to be hard, players will wipe couple of times and after that noone will ever come (maybe some guild raids or so... but I seriously doubt it considering reward). Just look at champions all over the map that stay there for quite a long time before some people band up and kill them.

I thnk gw2 world was toned so that reasonable number of players can beat the content fairly easily. Harder stuff is contained in dungeons, where you know there will only be 5 people and it's much easier to set dificulty to your liking. Open world is about enjoyment, exploration and having fun, it's not about challenge (even though soloing or duoing some dynamic events is quite challenging :)). If people want challenge, they go to dungeons or PvP.

To Zikari: WoW world bosses were definitely zergable. In fact in world boss encounter, there was no limit of players involving in combat, so the bigger zerg the better as bosses didn't scale at all. On the other hand, later on there were rules imposed on world boss fights to prevent people from destroying raids. Simply said, those very anti-zerg mechanics gave single person power to destroy whole raid as they wished. I do not want to start flame, people just look at past with pink glasses forgetting stupid stuff and remembering the cool stuff.

• semutantsemutant Member CommonPosts: 2
    yeah. i kinda agree. especially zhaitan, the elder dragon. come on. it's supposed to be one of the last boss for us, but the fight is so anti climatic. it's sad. lol.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    I dont play those games, partly because of that.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Dying it bad....

Lossing is no fun....GW2 was made for the casual masses. Thus everything is made easy so everyone can feel superduper heroic when they kill the megaboss elder dragon god. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    yeah they sure are big epic dragons, oh wait.. no.... its just the finger of the actualy dragon.. oh my god...

It was all Just A Dream™. Come back for our next expansion for the biggest, baddest mega-boss evar (even bigger than last expansion's Biggest Boss!)  On sale now, only $89.95.

Disclaimer: EvilCorp expresses no warranty on the actual badness of the biggest, baddest boss evar.  It will likely be another dragon, again.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59
    It's spamming a few buttons on a giant foot until the boss dies, usually getting no loot, then repeating a couple hours later. While ANet slowly converts the game into pay2win while in addition to ruining their public image they once had.