Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P is Future - Micro-Transactions are Not

13»

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Justify the sub prices with constant content? LOL

Dude they pay for servers, upkeep, bandwidth, employee salaries, and much more.

Older MMO's we didnt need the devs to provide constant content.... we made our own and thats what mmorpg's are about. Not that garbage single player mentality always needing your hands held in these newer games.

50 cents a day for a good mmo 24/7 entertainment is too much? Where else can you find that much entertainment for that low?

F2P mmorpg's suck, simple as that. Have not seen a decent F2P one yet. Minus Aion i heard had a good F2P model. Cash shops are a way to suck every penny out of you charging you 5-20$ just for a hat, mount, weapon, upgrade, or less. I will never play a F2P game because they are cheap. You think you get constant content in those? LOL. They make new additions so they can enhance their cash shop. Notice every other week a new mount or costume is in the cash shop ;) Thats not content thats BS!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Onomas

Older MMO's we didnt need the devs to provide constant content.... we made our own and thats what mmorpg's are about. Not that garbage single player mentality always needing your hands held in these newer games.

50 cents a day for a good mmo 24/7 entertainment is too much? Where else can you find that much entertainment for that low?

F2P mmorpg's suck, simple as that. Have not seen a decent F2P one yet. Minus Aion i heard had a good F2P model. Cash shops are a way to suck every penny out of you charging you 5-20$ just for a hat, mount, weapon, upgrade, or less. I will never play a F2P game because they are cheap. You think you get constant content in those? LOL. They make new additions so they can enhance their cash shop. Notice every other week a new mount or costume is in the cash shop ;) Thats not content thats BS!

So?

COD, Battlefield, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, ... and a huge list of games have servers, upkeep, bandwidth, and so on ... none chrage a sub fee.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    All those games listed are B2P, not F2P. Also, with the exception of D3 those games have a much smaller development and upkeep price tag as opposed to a full fledged MMO. Not much of a comparison IMO.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

As stated above^^^ B2P.

And you think those dont have ways to suck money out of you? LOL

Majority of the servers are rented by the player base that pay a large monthly fee. COD, BF, and others have cash shop, dlc's, and other ways to get money.

BF3 for example 60$, rent server 30-50 month, the 4-5 new dlc/expansions that have came out and are coming out cost 15$ each, then the premium package is another 40$. Not including the starter packs for each class run 10$ each. Total if you want to play BF3 with all the options can cost you $300+

GW2 for example costs 60-80$, and has a cash shop as well for mounts, extras, etc......

Nothing is free in this world, not unless you want 2nd rate content. When im paying a 15$ month few (which is dirt cheap in todays economy) i dont need to buy extras, i dont need to worry about being charged to enter a dungeon, and so much more.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

The big issue for freemium games is that it becomes a catch 22 situation. i.e. you have to add value to these shops to keep people paying to support the game, but how do you do that without resentment? 

People have said that paid for expansions are key, but that is a serious investment funds/talent wise and really cannot support a game month to month.  You need these, 'extras', to keep a game profitable in this model.  But were is the line drawn? Selling gear and gold in these shops leads to players quickly resenting a, pay to win approach, and abandoning the game.  On the other hand just offer vanity items or convienence items and players either buy them once or twice, or if the game becomes an incredible grind, resent being forced to buy xp upgrades and leave.

If you take a look at the GW2 model I would suggest that their cash shop isn't doing too well at the moment as the gems to gold model has been resented, (which was ANET's own fault really), and by the fact that there trying to cox sales from the cash shop with big discounts at the moment.

It's why I've always felt the subscription model works well as it's a better deal for a player and developer long term. As a player all content is avaliable to you for the sub and as a developer you don't have the need to change principle or milk the playerbase when money gets tight.  

The reason really for so many of these conversations though it that many MMOs have converted to a variation of the F2P becasue they failed as sub games. Thus it's the games fault not really the pricing model. I don't believe that so many players are that put off by the concept of subscribing, it's just a lot of the releases over the last four years haven't been worth subing for long term.

It be interesting to hear if at this conference any mention or ideas were given to how a successful and more sustainable F2P model would work...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Onomas

So?

COD, Battlefield, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, ... and a huge list of games have servers, upkeep, bandwidth, and so on ... none chrage a sub fee.

there is a world of difference between running a server cluster that maintains an MMO persistent world, and running a 'matchmaking' service for players image

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Wayshuba
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

Ill just post this from the other thread instead of writing it again.

"F2P is not the future. The reason recent sub games have failed is because they are either buggy or WoW clones. If GW2 was the messiah people would sub to it. If Swtor was truly amazing people wouldnt have a problem paying a sub. The model isnt the issue its the games.

Just because some businesses think its the only viable model doesnt make it the future.

Another point, the business model is important because it DRIVES the application of the product and value. This is true in any business, not just the MMO industry.

With the current micro-transactions, much is about releases to drive players to the shop or hindering game play to introduce fixes into the cash shop (which is a sucky approach because it means the company controls both the creation of the problem and the cash shop induced solution).

With a freemium model, companies would be required to produce value in the game play itself to entice customers to spend regularly. This requires more resource (and actual thinking) than micro-transactions. Freemium helps to attract a LOT of customers, but only value converts them to paying customers, and that is what is lacking in the industry right now - the value for customer's money.

In summary, current cash shop micro-transactions are part of the blame for the poor and repeatable cookie-cutter designs of a lot of MMOs nor is the sub from start model viable anymore as the industry has too much competition and is already saturated on the previous model (thus why WoW continues to hold the sub slot dominance).

That doesn't make a lick of fucking sense. I can't believe people actually go to school for this... Look... a shitty game is a shitty game price model aside. Whether it's a freemium game or a MT game, the developer still needs to produce value in the game or no one will play it. No one plays these games just to shop. I don't know how much you paid for this conference but I would be demanding a refund. 

Also, the current cash shops have nothing to do with the cookie cutter designs of mmo's. You can blame the money that WoW made on that. Blizzard made a FUUUUCCCCKKK TON of money and everyone wanted in on it. Hence the era of games that followed. 

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    There is a thread with this same title on the page. You could easily put this opinion in there: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/370119/F2P-is-the-Future.html

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.