Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has the mass exodus begun for GW2?

Comments

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by killion81
    Originally posted by Yaoiman
    Yes people are quitting the GW2 because of the horrible kiddie story with terrible writing and characters wth no character, and probably the boring pointless grind at the end. I hink it's about time some of these wannabe MMO's try looking to FFXI (the nearly perfect MMO) for guidance. FFXI endgame is MMO perfection.

Why is it that whenever I go into LA I get booted to an overflow serever then? If you what you say is true, that wouldn't happen.

Sorry, I don't think so. BTW, the attitude has been noted and could be considered trolling......

Technically, the presence (or absence) of an LA overflow only shows the population of LA on that specifc server.  You could posit that LA population has a direct relation to the populations of all other zones in the game.  However, people have mentioned experiences that would counter that theory, so it would be difficult to prove true in all cases.

That being said, LA overflow can certainly occur on a sparsely populated server, as only the population numbers of LA are taken into account.  Many consider LA to be the 'central social hub' of GW2, which would lead one to believe it's population would depend on the number of socialites currently online, rather than the overall number of online players.

All you can look at is what the login looks like for the servers - the majority say high or full.

Would you rather have a swimming pool filled half way (medium) with gold or a thimble mostly full (high) or full of gold?  Context... of which we have no information on.

• LurkersLurkers Member Posts: 20
    I agree there a mass exodus happening.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Yaoiman
    Yes people are quitting the GW2 because of the horrible kiddie story with terrible writing and characters wth no character, and probably the boring pointless grind at the end. I hink it's about time some of these wannabe MMO's try looking to FFXI (the nearly perfect MMO) for guidance. FFXI endgame is MMO perfection.

Why is it that whenever I go into LA I get booted to an overflow serever then? If you what you say is true, that wouldn't happen.

Sorry, I don't think so. BTW, the attitude has been noted and could be considered trolling......

Technically, the presence (or absence) of an LA overflow only shows the population of LA on that specifc server.  You could posit that LA population has a direct relation to the populations of all other zones in the game.  However, people have mentioned experiences that would counter that theory, so it would be difficult to prove true in all cases.

That being said, LA overflow can certainly occur on a sparsely populated server, as only the population numbers of LA are taken into account.  Many consider LA to be the 'central social hub' of GW2, which would lead one to believe it's population would depend on the number of socialites currently online, rather than the overall number of online players.

All you can look at is what the login looks like for the servers - the majority say high or full.

I am calling BS on the server stats at login.

After 2 months? of it being out I for the life of me cannot believe that the population on my server is the same "Full" that it was at launch.  There have been numerous posts here from a wide variety of people leaving...I am taking this into consideration.  Plus the 10-60 areas are literally dead on my server.  So unless 90% of the pop is all sitting in LA/dungeons/or something else, I am just not buying it.

All companies fudge numbers in their favor.  ANET is no different.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I created my new Char on Sunday, around noon and couldn't find anybody in Char starter zone, at least up to lvl10, on Gandara EU.

I usuallly wouldn't care, but since this game has many group oriented dynamic events, having noone around reduces the amount of content you can play, which is a shame.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I expected GW2 to be the closest to experience I had in RvR with Daoc. It soooo wasn't even close, so I haven't played GW2 in over a month now. I've never had any luck lasting much time with an mmo that was free to play or buy to play though so I can't say I'm disappointed. I kinda knew it'd be like a PS3 game I'd play for a month, beat it, forget about it, then wait for a better more sandboxy mmo to come out.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by chaintm

Actually due to this thread…

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Thoughts-on-Ascended-Gear-Merged-threads/first

I am leaving the game as well.. don't take me wrong its a good game and all, but this changes everything for players like me. I wish everyone a good farewell and gl in the future, for some will like this. I however, do not and won’t participate. This was NOT suppose to happen in GW2 according to so many interviews and post from the devs. It feels like a slap to the face to be honest, the grind was never to be part of GW2 never, now it is if you want to "compete" and it seems this is just step one in many more releases according to one rep that said basicly collect threw out the year and into the future.

Yeah, GWoW2 , no thnx.

You can discuss and say the exodus won't happen, but i know for FACT i won't play this game ever again. Meh I got my 50 out of it and I know a few that feel the same. I could be wrong here, but I never seen so many say "yeah, I am done too" and talk about playing Magic The Gathering 2013 and more , I think Anet is going to bite a big bullet on this move. Just my thoughts on it anyways.

I realize there is a thread about this topic so this is more about people actually leaving over it. I beleive many will as I will. I have yet to go back to starwars the old republic for promises broken there so I see no reason to go back to gw2. Your thoughts? Are you leaving? have you just thought "bah I don't care!".

Just seems like another money grab, just like the "there will be no changes in this up-coming maintance" ,, people log into WvWvW and now siege equipement only last exactly 10min then the previous 30min. Seems GW2 to me at least is becoming a money hog.

-chaintm

i am done too ,after playing the free trial . horrible game and now with nexon on the horizon .i have no hopes for this game. 

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by DeniZg

I created my new Char on Sunday, around noon and couldn't find anybody in Char starter zone, at least up to lvl10, on Gandara EU.

I usuallly wouldn't care, but since this game has many group oriented dynamic events, having noone around reduces the amount of content you can play, which is a shame.

yup it is pvp oriented game so less people mean no fun and death of game . 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by lotaparty
    Originally posted by chaintm

Actually due to this thread…

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Thoughts-on-Ascended-Gear-Merged-threads/first

I am leaving the game as well.. don't take me wrong its a good game and all, but this changes everything for players like me. I wish everyone a good farewell and gl in the future, for some will like this. I however, do not and won’t participate. This was NOT suppose to happen in GW2 according to so many interviews and post from the devs. It feels like a slap to the face to be honest, the grind was never to be part of GW2 never, now it is if you want to "compete" and it seems this is just step one in many more releases according to one rep that said basicly collect threw out the year and into the future.

Yeah, GWoW2 , no thnx.

You can discuss and say the exodus won't happen, but i know for FACT i won't play this game ever again. Meh I got my 50 out of it and I know a few that feel the same. I could be wrong here, but I never seen so many say "yeah, I am done too" and talk about playing Magic The Gathering 2013 and more , I think Anet is going to bite a big bullet on this move. Just my thoughts on it anyways.

I realize there is a thread about this topic so this is more about people actually leaving over it. I beleive many will as I will. I have yet to go back to starwars the old republic for promises broken there so I see no reason to go back to gw2. Your thoughts? Are you leaving? have you just thought "bah I don't care!".

Just seems like another money grab, just like the "there will be no changes in this up-coming maintance" ,, people log into WvWvW and now siege equipement only last exactly 10min then the previous 30min. Seems GW2 to me at least is becoming a money hog.

-chaintm

i am done too ,after playing the free trial . horrible game and now with nexon on the horizon .i have no hopes for this game. 

AHH - the old Nexon conspiracy theory rears it's ugly head again. Nexon is not really interested in GW2, I bet, just the game engine and it's patching system.

You don't like the game- not an issue.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

AHH - the old Nexon conspiracy theory rears it's ugly head again. Nexon is not really interested in GW2, I bet, just the game engine and it's patching system.

Interestingly, the GW2 gem store jumped on the Black Friday bandwagon, despite having no gifting options (as of the last time I logged in) and no tangible products.  Did the GW1 cash shop ever run Black Friday specials?  You have to admit the GW2 gem store is more aggressively marketed than the GW1 cash shop ever was.  In my opinion, it has something to do with the ex-Nexon Monetization Producer they hired.  Maybe Nexon's influence isn't as direct as some people believe, but the fact that the current GW2 Monetization Producer worked at Nexon for years prior to moving to ANet and the difference in approach in cash shops between GW1 and GW2 suggests to me that some of Nexon's company culture has been carried over with the employee.

Interestingly, the GW2 gem store jumped on the Black Friday bandwagon, despite having no gifting options (as of the last time I logged in) and no tangible products.  Did the GW1 cash shop ever run Black Friday specials?  You have to admit the GW2 gem store is more aggressively marketed than the GW1 cash shop ever was.  In my opinion, it has something to do with the ex-Nexon Monetization Producer they hired.  Maybe Nexon's influence isn't as direct as some people believe, but the fact that the current GW2 Monetization Producer worked at Nexon for years prior to moving to ANet and the difference in approach in cash shops between GW1 and GW2 suggests to me that some of Nexon's company culture has been carried over with the employee.

Yes they did in GW1. So your conspiracy theory and the fact that the emplyee in question started in January BEFORE Nexon bought the stock says volumes about how little reality affects conspiracy theories.

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

GW2 was dead to me the first week I played it. I even waited a week after release in the hopes that I would get past all the hype, i was wrong. Got the game, played the game some and was disappointed right from the beginning. The game seems to play itself, nothing hard about it, i just ran around leveling and not really doing anything it seemed. GW2 is nothing more than a very pretty world with no feeling which is sad. I never want any MMO to be bad or fail, the more we have the better it is for every gamer out here. But for GW2 to throw in a gear grind on top of a game that hasn't really proved itself yet is pretty sad as well.

Peace

Lascer

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

SW:TOR has better story

TSW has better dialogue/characters

TERA has better combat

WOW has better world design/quest flow

*ALL OF THE ABOVE* have a better endgame. 

GW2 has no legs left to stand on.  When big budget games like SWTOR and TSW 'fail', they keep behind a small hardcore audience that can support the dev team.  That's why we have LOTRO/DDO/Conan/EQ2 still receiving content today.

GW2 doesn't have that hardcore audience because the only content available at endgame is a grind for weapons that offer very very little statistical bonus(es) and are mostly just there for cosmetics.  It's lore is boring, it's story is lackluster, it has no memorable characters and few interesting locations. 

There is nothing *there*.   I am confident in saying that, while they may have far fewer developers than launch, The Secret World and The Old Republic will still be receiving content 2 years from now.  I'm not sure if GW2 will.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I should note that completing 60 fractals only left me at level 17, as each "fractal" is considered one path.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

None of my friends play it anymore. That shocks me because they relentlessly tried to get me to play everytime we went out for like two months. Now its just another game on the shelf collecting dust. Its weird thinking about games like swtor and gw2 now. People got so worked up, myself included. But in the end, they are added to the list of forgettable games.

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

These forums are officially a cesspool. It was doom and gloom before launch. It was doom and gloom during launch. It's doom and gloom now months after launch, and it's like this for every new game.

The reality is that GW2 is solid. Now leveling my second character (Human), the starting areas are very populated (Sanctum of Rall). People call out the names of Champion mobs in chat and link the waypoints. By the time the boss is downed there are 20 or more people fighting. Occasionally I'll have to get out my level 80 to help kick some events off or help other players complete, but often there are plenty of people running around the zone.

My guild runs events every week to down all of the event Dragons, and recruit people in /map to help unlock Arah. There is so much to do in this game between the different personal story lines, all of the crafting recipes, the dungeon runs, and different PvP. Population numbers will fluctuate as people have school, and holiday, as other games come out etc., but GW2 has no sub! You are free to come and go as you please, that's what's so great. Cripes, someone just discovered a whole secret room full of kittens on the Borderlands jumping puzzle that I've done literally hundreds of times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID08AqRhDRA

How much more stuff like that is out there?

There are always going to be issues. ANet is never going to be able to respond fast enough for every players number 1 issue (it's always changing anyway as things get fixed), but the game is solid and fun to play. People will be hanging around a long time. I'm not griping with anyone pointing out legit issues, because there are some, but it's like a hivemind of negativity dominates these forums in particular.

Originally posted by Size-Twelve

These forums are officially a cesspool. It was doom and gloom before launch. It was doom and gloom during launch. It's doom and gloom now months after launch, and it's like this for every new game.

The reality is that GW2 is solid. Now leveling my second character (Human), the starting areas are very populated (Sanctum of Rall). People call out the names of Champion mobs in chat and link the waypoints. By the time the boss is downed there are 20 or more people fighting. Occasionally I'll have to get out my level 80 to help kick some events off or help other players complete, but often there are plenty of people running around the zone.

My guild runs events every week to down all of the event Dragons, and recruit people in /map to help unlock Arah. There is so much to do in this game between the different personal story lines, all of the crafting recipes, the dungeon runs, and different PvP. Population numbers will fluctuate as people have school, and holiday, as other games come out etc., but GW2 has no sub! You are free to come and go as you please, that's what's so great. Cripes, someone just discovered a whole secret room full of kittens on the Borderlands jumping puzzle that I've done literally hundreds of times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID08AqRhDRA

How much more stuff like that is out there?

There are always going to be issues. ANet is never going to be able to respond fast enough for every players number 1 issue (it's always changing anyway as things get fixed), but the game is solid and fun to play. People will be hanging around a long time. I'm not griping with anyone pointing out legit issues, because there are some, but it's like a hivemind of negativity dominates these forums in particular.

I agree - this forum should be called 'Pessimistorpg.com' .

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

I am glad GW2 is failing, this is not a path other MMORPG's should follow...

Found some sucker to buy my Collectors edition junk so it helped ease the painful waste of money. ;)

Originally posted by CallsignVega

I am glad GW2 is failing, this is not a path other MMORPG's should follow...

Found some sucker to buy my Collectors edition junk so it helped ease the painful waste of money. ;)

So you want game developers and coders out of work - nice attitude.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Yes, game developers that make trivial rubbish should fail. Teach everyone else not to take that route. MMORPG's should go back to once again being made for gamers. Not soccer moms with ADD and nine year olds. 
  • sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

SW:TOR has better story

TSW has better dialogue/characters

TERA has better combat

WOW has better world design/quest flow

*ALL OF THE ABOVE* have a better endgame. 

GW2 has no legs left to stand on.  When big budget games like SWTOR and TSW 'fail', they keep behind a small hardcore audience that can support the dev team.  That's why we have LOTRO/DDO/Conan/EQ2 still receiving content today.

GW2 doesn't have that hardcore audience because the only content available at endgame is a grind for weapons that offer very very little statistical bonus(es) and are mostly just there for cosmetics.  It's lore is boring, it's story is lackluster, it has no memorable characters and few interesting locations. 

There is nothing *there*.   I am confident in saying that, while they may have far fewer developers than launch, The Secret World and The Old Republic will still be receiving content 2 years from now.  I'm not sure if GW2 will.

i havent play Swtor so i bet that it might have better story..

I played a bit TSW and also the dialogs were better and actually it was its strong point. 

Tera i agree as well it had better combat system but slower. but it was the only thing it had.

WoW have NOT better world nor artwork nor graphics and most certently "Quests" than Guild Wars 2

Plus Teras endgame is the more lacklaster than any mmo i have played. plus the most boring lvl up.

In my opinion GW2 World is the most Alive World in any RPG/mmorpg game i have every played. thousands of little scripts everywhere... the only game it can compare is Skyrim.

Sure there are no so many players as it was at the begining (but tell me an mmo besides WoW that maintain the same amount of players after the first 2 months) but its not dead. and besides its better to have fewer people playing.. cause now you can actually enjoy the events without hundrends of players just zerging. 

and last but not least GW2 is the only game i have played that release more content so soon and so often. and i bet it will continute to release more content (free or payed) for the next years. maybe not so often than now (cause all these they release now were propably already almost rdy for release..but they kept it to show off new free content...same as RIFT did) but they will! and i even bet that they will release even faster and more than SWTOR and TSW combined!! --plus i heard something of Swtor gone f2p? just saying. in gw2 u dont pay sub and u get alot more than u have give (50 bucks). :)

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

In the end, GW2 certainly did not "win it" as one of the execs clearly stated they were aiming for.

Conspiracy theory time....I think they have not locked down server transfers because they may have noticed the less activity and are potentionally going to merge/get rid of a few of them. /end

2 or so months since launch...I think it's safe to say the game was neither the "paradigm" shifter nor the "saviour" that some people proclaimed it to be.  In the end, I think it's going to be a niche game more than anything else.  I am to go out on a limb here and say I don't think it will keep the same following the first GW did.  Mainly because GW1 is a vastly superior game and the market is very different from when the first one launched.  If this one does stick around, I expect the cash shop to play an even bigger role in its future.

Originally posted by CallsignVega
    Yes, game developers that make trivial rubbish should fail. Teach everyone else not to take that route. MMORPG's should go back to once again being made for gamers. Not soccer moms with ADD and nine year olds. 

So you dont want any MMO's. They cost alot of money to produce and your 'True Gamers' are such a small, insignificant market compared to the rest of society. It seems like you think your gamer market is bigger than it really is and that is the reality. If gaming companies want to survive, they will have to cater to the 'un-gaming masses'. That is the truth.

No company can survive with a shrinking market and I think the types of games you are thinking about are just that.

Sorry you felt the need to get on your 'high horse' instead of having a nice intelligent discussion.

• RubrubgrrRubrubgrr Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I will be putting gw2 back on the shelf for a while myself but not due to the reasons of the OP. The new gear is only a couple of stat points in difference so no real biggy there. I think most people a severly over reacting there lol. For myself the glaring issues of gw2 are: A- No functional form of LFG B-No mounts C- No player housing D- an over all lack of content and E- Over all the game is great imho BUT it is extremely shallow and lacks a depth that i am surprised is not there after 7 yrs of development.  I also realised that after playing this game that i really miss questing, not those publice hearts ewwwww boring and not being led from hub to hub but genuine interesting unique and epic story driven questing! with rewards that equal the amount of effort required to complete them.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

A certain site not to be mentioned since the release of GW2 says that GW2 hours played are just above 10k hours down from 80k. 

Still the second most played mmo, but much much less than before.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"