Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - My parting words

VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72

The following is verbatum from my email with ANET:

Hi

Your refund has shown on my online billing activity and I thank you for your prompt service.
As a long time Guild Wars player from the GW1 beta and the game including 2 out of 3 of the expansions: Factions and Nightfall, I feel compelled to give you the reasons why a loyal long-time supporter felt this action was needed.
I played and enjoyed a lot of the content in the original and never felt compelled to turn it into a job in order to keep up. It was casual and yet it was hardcore in that the game presented a challenge during play. It lacked only non-instanced questing, yet that was not an issue to me as the towns always contained those eager to team for instances. Everything was solid top to bottom.
I then played WoW for 2 years - from Wrath to just after Cataclysm, and it was good fun while it lasted. The problem with WoW wasn't the sub ... it was the constant need to "keep up".
It had 3 things that kept me interested for the time I played. An open-world, an auction house , and a crafting system. The auction house was 100 percent player driven including the ability to attempt to corner the market. I viewed this as an enjoyable mini-game within the game. The crafting enabled a player to finance and equip himself for his journey to cap. Every crafting professions had niches at multiple levels that could provide income to get by with, or income to reinvest with. It was your choice and your risk. I ran a Guild - The Moonlit Knights of Lore for almost a year and used the Auction House to help my guild of 200+ members enjoy the game.I had a capped duel-wield frost Death Knight that kicked butt inspite of the view it couldn't be done. I left the game shortly after Cataclysm due to my disgust over gear checking dps meters and all other requirements that were used to keep the masses from enjoying Raids and getting gear.
Of the 3 things that I did like in WoW, GW2 only got one right. The open world environment was stellar. I bought into the promise of horizontal progression. The Lost Shores update brought in gated gear grinding and vertical progression. I keep my word and my loyalty stays with those who keep their word. There were so many other ways to be a "snowflake". Individual weapon skill trees for example - use a skill point in greatsword for example to up the precision in addition to traits.
The Trading Post was not up for 2 weeks.... I didn't care because there was actual chat interaction going on. I even successfully traded thru mail in that time. Once the TP came online ...that interaction stopped cold.
Then a sad thing happened. Not only was the TP gamewide and easily exploited by goldsellers the devs saw fit to fall for a forum ploy to place a bottom line price on mats to keep them from being sold for a loss in respect to what a vendor would pay. I still believe you were suckered by the goldsellers in order to gain a stable ROI. This rendered the TP as less than free-market and allowed bloated prices of top end items that no one could "earn" due to 2 factors. The buy/sell orders had no expiration. This invites unreal pricing and left ghosted below NPC buy orders pre-nerf of the free-market.
Secondly the crafting system was really only for exp grinding, and not for making your character unique or self-sufficient. Every crafting skill seemed to be able to make every item and 2 million players on a gamewide TP have no use for something that they can make a version of with their own crafting skills.
The combination of the 2 misses left me realizing the best income lie in just selling the basic farmed drops or salvaged results of drops. I truly don't believe that was the intent, but it is what happened.
I hope at some point you are able to bring the auction house and crafting system up to par with what I experienced in WoW. I wish I could say that would get me to repurchase the game .... but as long as I see a vertical elitist build/gear checking progression system being pushed forward I can't give you my word on that.

Best Wishes

I got my refund due to my purchase coming directly from their site. Thanks to the timing I was able to buy Starcraft2,Serious Sam 3, and Borderlands 2 all on sale for that same 60 dollars.  Some may disagree and you are entitled to your opinion, but if I buy a horse and you hand me a cow I expect my money back. ANET's prompt refund was appreciated. The game itself was not as advertised and proved it barely 3 months in.

Comments

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

I think GW2 is a mediorce game but next time just say "Your economy sucks and I don't like gear progression." and leave it at that.

They'll get the point a lot better.

And I think it's hilarious Anet is giving refunds for people who have prob played days and days worth of game time lol. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by loeslein

I think GW2 is a mediorce game but next time just say "Your economy sucks and I don't like gear progression." and leave it at that.

And I think it's hilarious Anet is giving refunds for people who have prob played days and days worth of game time lol. 

At least they are giving refunds. Look at all the people who were upset with SWTOR and got nothing in return.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Nice first post.
  • VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72

I pre-purchased for the head start as a loyal GW1 fan would have done and averaged 5-7 hours daily. I think that is more than adequate to make an informed decision on this game. I think you tldr'd the post but as said you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by VendettaDFA

Hi

Your refund has shown on my online billing activity and I thank you for your prompt service.

I read that far and was already bored.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Well you got about 350-420 hours for free then, good job. Your not paying a sub and they are making tons off the cash shop. You will not be missed.

Are you the type of guy that complains about food after you eat it to try and get a free meal?

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Yeah, they probably have some decent data on how many people who get refunds and then re-purchase the game at a later date.  I could see myself doing something like that ha.

Damn maybe I should go get my refund too!

My complaints are the standard ones.. I don't see why people are up in arms about this gear progression thing because gear feels so USELESS anyways.  I know the numbers mean something but everything from levels to stats just feel like they are not even needed. 

Just get rid of the whole system and put a 5 second count down timer in place of the Health pool. If you don't have the mobs down by 5 seconds then you can use your health buff and get another 1.5 seconds.  Get rid of all stats and just have costumes yay!  This is what the system "feels" like. 

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771

I lol at consumers like you! Anything and everything to milk a penny.

I can't wait for work where I get to talk to folks like you where customers feel entitled to free service rather than being a paying customer.

Freeloaders and cheap skates!
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I'm glad you were happy enough with their service to create this account and post about your refund on both GW2 and general forums.
    Whatever helps you guys feel superior. I only play with trolls in game, not on forums. Happy hunting    image
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    Originally posted by botrytis

At least they are giving refunds. Look at all the people who were upset with SWTOR and got nothing in return.

Oh, poor baby! We all played the same game before and after release!

That's the players fault!

Even folks on MMOrpg.com who hated on the game purchased and played!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I really wish that they would stop giving refunds to losers that abuse the system..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

(...)

(...)

+1

you bought a game. you played it. end of story. seriously, get real.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I think GW2 is a mediorce game but next time just say "Your economy sucks and I don't like gear progression." and leave it at that. They'll get the point a lot better.And I think it's hilarious Anet is giving refunds for people who have prob played days and days worth of game time lol.
    I pre-purchased for the head start as a loyal GW1 fan would have done and averaged 5-7 hours daily. I think that is more than adequate to make an informed decision on this game. I think you tldr'd the post but as said you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.
    What a load of crap! You are a thief. I hope you sleep well at night. Do you butcher the cow you received instead of the horse, throw a feast, and then ask for a refund? You make me sick.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

It was definitely too verbose.  It most likely wasn't even read.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

IMHO you shouldn't get a refund. There is plenty of video and info out on the game and you know what you are getting before you purchase it.

It's like me knowing my car doesn't run well on 85 octane fuel, so I fuel up, drive a couple hundred miles, and go back and tell the station attendent my car ran like crap, give me my money back. He would tell you to get bent because you used up your portion of  a product.

To me it's just as good as pirating the game. Once again, this is mho.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

BTW guys, I bought two accounts for SW:TOR and got a refund two months after launch by emailing Origin Support.  Same thing with Mass Effect 3, they refunded me AFTER I BEAT THE GAME.  XD 

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Amjoco

IMHO you shouldn't get a refund. There is plenty of video and info out on the game and you know what you are getting before you purchase it.

These are my thoughts exactly. I wouldn't even have the nerve to ask for a refund knowing there was plenty of research material available to me.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

After hundreds of hours played you demanded a refund?

In all honesty - i am deeply disgusted at your attitude.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

Hmm...uou can't really hate the guy when ANet allows this shit.  They never should have allowed refunds, other than for possibly prehistoric computers that established they couldn't run the game.  Even then, It's on the consumer to know whether they can run it.

That being said, it's fairly dishonorable to play a game for a decent time and then decide you want a refund.  Kind of low. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by bliss14

Hmm...uou can't really hate the guy when ANet allows this shit.  They never should have allowed refunds, other than for possibly prehistoric computers that established they couldn't run the game.  Even then, It's on the consumer to know whether they can run it.

That being said, it's fairly dishonorable to play a game for a decent time and then decide you want a refund.  Kind of low. 

This site seems to attract this sort of posts. He is a dishonorable person having played the game and then demanding a refund. I suppose he is the type that would eat a Big Mac and then go back with the empty wrapper and demand  a refund because it was not cooked right.

That does the beg the question - Have (we) as gamers got to be coddled and primped so much? It seems like (we) do and the OP's post is just one small bit of evidence of it.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

Hi

I read that far and was already bored.

I was about to comment on your elaborate and thorough reply. Then i checked your post history and i didn't bother. Fanboyism at its finest.

As for the OP: i understand your concerns about some of Anet's decisions regarding GW2. But i don't believe that these can spoil the overall quality of the game which is way above average. Maybe after a break you'll approach the game with a different view.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by atuerstar

seconded

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by atuerstar

Feel the same way tbh. Especially when OP gives reccomendations for what he'd like to see in order to play the game again, but then takes away the funding to do it.

If you get any reasonable amount of hours into a game and ask for a refund for anything other than a technical problem, you should get flat out denied. A couple hundred hours in and you should get laughed at. You basically mooched there game.

Validly raised point on why I would ask for a refund after many hours of play?

I would have never requested a refund if the game had remained "as advertised". My refund request came within one week of the lost shores update. That was when ANET introduced a vertical gear grind and was no longer the game I bought. Regardless of my other complaints on the game, this reason alone was why I proceeded with a refund request. If ANET's return policy allows a refund for up to 6 months on this game when directly purchased from their site , I am within my warranty rights to request and receive a refund.

This discussion has been closed.