Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what were you expecting for swtor before the launch?

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
     After doing some research  I thought it wouold be similar to WOW, but with a lavish production, cut scenes and typical Bioware goodness and you know what------------------It was and is.  I was surprised at how good the production was and how good the animations and sound were.  I read about the Space Game but I was still dissapointed in it and hope that they will flesh it out
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

Was actually expecting as Star Wars game. Instead I had the same feeling I did when I was young... We didn't have enough money to purchase Transformers so we had to settle with GoBots. A vague representation of the real thing.

*Howard Jones song starts*

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Game played exactly how I expected it to play. Could they have done some things better? Sure. But for the most part i had no surprises.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by lucasdeis

when you were waiting for the game, watching the videos reading the forums of swtor

how did you think BEFORE the Launch, the game was going to be like?

i was expecting a WoW clone with Star Wars story and i got it, but sadly It turned out to be inferior enough to WoW to justify the sub (for me), but if they improve it im fine with it.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by iamrta

Was actually expecting as Star Wars game. Instead I had the same feeling I did when I was young... We didn't have enough money to purchase Transformers so we had to settle with GoBots. A vague representation of the real thing.

*Howard Jones song starts*

Hey! GoBots were way better! Transformers were just too big and clunky.

I did, however, have the transformer that turned into a gun. The problem was that the gun would only fit into a human's hand. So unless I was roll-playing a gigantic overgrown human and kicking over all my toys, it would just stupid.

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Game played exactly how I expected it to play. Could they have done some things better? Sure. But for the most part i had no surprises.

perfect answer, short , concise, correct

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I was expecting Kotor 3, and Bioware didn't disappointed.

Although I really wanted to be disappointed and get an awesome MMO instead.........

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    What happened is what I knew would happen. Even stated it on these forums with a ban behind it. It is a shame that no one really looks at the games as they truly are.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by ste2000
    I was expecting Kotor 3, and Bioware didn't disappointed. Although I really wanted to be disappointed and get an awesome MMO instead.........

They also said it would lead to KOTOR 4+ as well, and probably would have done if it did not tank

The fact you only get KOTOR 3 makes it a fail.

They put all this effort and money into it, and then loses a large chunk of the playerbase, and then just seem to write the game off. SWTOR seems to have had no decent 10 year plan at all

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It wasn't really on my radar, but the developer video I saw screamed WOW in space.  I tried it during the open beta and loved the class story. 
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    I was expecting Kotor 3, and Bioware didn't disappointed. Although I really wanted to be disappointed and get an awesome MMO instead.........

They also said it would lead to KOTOR 4+ as well, and probably would have done if it did not tank

They put all this effort and money into it, and then loses a large chunk of the playerbase, and then just seem to write the game off. SWTOR seems to have had no decent 10 year plan at all

"They also said it would lead to KOTOR 4+ as well, and probably would have done if it did not tank

The fact you only get KOTOR 3 makes it a fail."          LOL  Hey Super did they say it would be Kotar 5, 6 or 7 or perhaps they said it would be Dragon age 1-12  or even the MIghty RETURN OF BALDURS GATE. 

Sorry to make fun of you but when you say comments like that you are inviting it.   I do notice that every time there is a TOR post you come on and make irrational troll comments. It is a free country but try being objective for once

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Originally posted by superniceguy

"They also said it would lead to KOTOR 4+ as well, and probably would have done if it did not tank

The fact you only get KOTOR 3 makes it a fail."          LOL  Hey Super did they say it would be Kotar 5, 6 or 7 or perhaps they said it would be Dragon age 1-12  or even the MIghty RETURN OF BALDURS GATE. 

Sorry to make fun of you but when you say comments like that you are inviting it.   I do notice that every time there is a TOR post you come on and make irrational troll comments. It is a free country but try being objective for once

This is what they said:

"We're making KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and beyond--this game is that big, it's got that much content in it," explained BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka. "It's very innovative--it's story based."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/55470/biowares-star-wars-the-old

I was just stating what Bioware said, plus what EA said with 10 year plan.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-07-star-wars-tor-is-a-10-year-opportunity

So no troll post except yours

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Nothing. I dont ever expect MMO to be good if its based on movies/book series.
  • ReeperReeper Member UncommonPosts: 121

I was Expecting a Galaxy far far away,  I got a handfull of islands about the size of your local park, very disapointed, hopefully the next company that tries a Star Wars game will TRY better.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I bought the game because I was a fan of KotOR games previously, and I loved the idea of the dialogue system in an MMO, as well as, at least from the videos I watched, the combat seemed a bit more fast-paced and had more variety compared to WoW (which I was currently playing and geting a bit bored of).

Turns out, the combat really wasn't much different at all, everything after level 10 seemed less exciting than the starting planet, the class storyline scenes were few and far between, and the stories quickly got boring to the point I didn't even care if I finished them.

I won't lie, though, the first flashpoints were awesome. I ran them many times on multiple characters, and the first probably 5 times or so, I had a blast and laughed my ass off at some of the options and reactions in the dialogue.

The next couple flashpoints I did (I think one was called Hammer Station or something, don't remember the other) seemed like they were given a fraction of the effort and just really had nothing exciting going on whatsoever. Was disappointing.

I did enjoy the crafting system however. Having your crew do all the work was much better for me, so I didn't have to put in a lot of time just standing around at a machine making stuff personally, and could just continue my quests. But since those quests weren't any fun to do, I wasnt gonna stay around for the crafting. lol

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

You know, I was at least expecting a Mass Effect level of story influence. I don't mean that everyone would change the world, but I thought at least you'd get to off one of your companions in a dispute Wrex-style.

I also kind of thought the worlds would be used more creatively in the storyline quest. Like I thought that the worlds would have zones for all levels and then you would experience the world story sort of more piecemeal and not every class would go to the same planet at the same level. I don't know why I thought this, I guess I already conceded that all PVE content would be soloable or something.

I also had greater expectations for the world quest lines to be more emphasized. You know, a more complex and interesting story about each planet and less random sidequests. Also the notion of a fleet being the central player hub blew me away. I thought they would use Coruscant/Kaas for that. Oh and what's the deal with spaceports? They are super huge like Bioware expected a lot of people to stand around in them, but they are just gigantic empty lobbies.

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• rogielrogiel Member UncommonPosts: 21

I blame EA for ruining everything good that mythic and or Bioware ever were;

Think Warhammer online, amazing potential, currenlty an abandoned mess

Think Dragon Age II; WTH was that? With part I being one of the best Single player RPGs ever, they could have tried a little bit harder, but no EA wanted to make a quick buck, and they succeeded...

EA is the devil, go back to making sports games, please!

"If I had the stars of the darkest nights or the diamonds from the deepest ocean, I would forsake them all for your sweet kiss"

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I expected a WoW-clone with a Star Wars skin, I just expected them to do a better job at the clone job.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    I expected a WoW-clone, but I thought they would try and concentrate on WoW's strengths instead of its weknesses.
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I had hoped for a pre NGE version of SWG - but with a new story behind it ... When i saw the previews I was hoping for a WOW clone with Star wars ... what we got was a BAD WOW clone ... mixed with a Single player game
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I expected it to be what it was. I didn't expect it to be SWG nor have any sandparkish qualities at all.

I think they over-did the voice overs tho. They should have saved the VO for main story and primary planet quest chains only. A 30 second VO for every "Go kill 20 bad guys" quest was not needed or enjoyed.

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163
    I expected a more dynamic atmsophere. I expected better PvP mechanics as related to balance and gear requirements. I expected more RP less carbon copyism. I once sat on a rail with seventeen other BH's all with the same gear and companion out. We were utterly ridicilous but by then it was simply log on do the dailies and log off. I expected better graphics frankly. The painted on gear looks stupid to me the utter lack of diversity in appearence is just a game killer.

Ultimately stun wars and the fact that to in order to be competitive at top level required an entirely new gear grind simply killed the game for me.

I LIKED the quest hubs and the questing in general but I kinda wondered why I was being asked to do all this repair work.

I Liked the gathering but found the crafting boring and ineffective. I still say the only way crafting works is if thats the only way to get the best gear and it wears out.

Large battles would have probably saved it for me. But so many little turn offs

I played from release. Had two toons at high level and a bunch of alts.  I quit when they announced their intention to go F2P.

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I was hoping (not expecting) for interesting spacecombat at the time when they didn't speak about it yet. But when they announced that SWTOR would have spacecombat and explained in what form, I became very sceptic about it. Closer to release I realised that spacecombat in SWTOR would just stay a minigame and would never become what I was hoping for (SWG spacecombat or EVE spacecombat).

Anyway, my main reason at that point to check SWTOR was story. I expected it to be storydriven with a lot of replayability like KOTOR. I was right to expect it to be storydriven, but the replayability was severely lacking. (Both sides get funneled through the same planets with boring quests and classes lack enough diversity for replayability on their own.)

All in all, it was a disappointment. It couldn't even meet my expectations where I would approach it as a new multiplayer KOTOR. I stopped playing before my first month was over.

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

I thought it would be similar to wow byut in a space setting.

I knew certain things werent in it like speach bubbles and some basic mmorpg features but what I didnt expect was a crappy auction house,small closed in planets , lifeless npcs, long and frequent load screens.

I remember playing on the early planets complaining how they felt so closed in. The fanboys told me to wait till tatooine and it would open up.

I remember the moment I quit I was on tatooine and I saw a tower or sand crawler in the distance so I decided to fly to it , I started heading towards it marveling at how nice the sand looked  and how nice of a job they did on tatooine, it was open and nice as im flying on my speeder smiling at the beautiful open area BAM!!!!!! I hit a invisible wall and Im told to turn back.

I hit a exhaustion area.....Done log off and never looked back, epic fail.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Knowing BioWare games and loving them I hoped for exactly what it  delivered.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E