Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what were you expecting for swtor before the launch?

when you were waiting for the game, watching the videos reading the forums of swtor

how did you think BEFORE the Launch, the game was going to be like?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I thought it would be a lot like WoW, but with a Star Wars theme. That's more or less what I got. The character story lines were an extra, and so were the space missions.

In a way, having character story lines ruined most of the experience for me. I would rather have the leveling experience be 80% character story line, 10% world story lines and 10% world quest hubs. I think it was more like 10% character story line, 10% world story lines and 80% random quest hubs.

I guess I got more than I expected, but I might have played longer if the character story lines hadn't opened the possibility of that being a major portion of an MMORPG.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by lucasdeis

when you were waiting for the game, watching the videos reading the forums of swtor

didnt know that EA had the BW back then, when i learn it, i was ready to cancel my preorder, but some friends they convence me that the game will be great.

now i force them to pay my coffees for my money loss (joke)

anyway only 1 continue to play it.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • lucasdeislucasdeis Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by defector1968

didnt know that EA had the BW back then, when i learn it, i was ready to cancel my preorder, but some friends they convence me that the game will be great.

poorly explained

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by defector1968

poorly explained

LOL u want fully report and voiced exhibits?

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I knew it would be on rails, but I had no idea that it would be so exploration restricted. SWTOR has taught me to never get overly excited for a new game.
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

I expected great storylines with choices.

A Dark / Light system which they promised. Dark - Light gear (appearance). Dark & Light wouldn't be just a flawor in my character sheet with different colored boots.

Instances which are not about gear score (Item rating) DPS runs (even mild ones) Raid endgame treatmill. Where a bunch of people is hitting on one big enemy.

That story will be actually added every few months.

That my "iconic" trooper wouldn't wear, whatever that is supposed to resemble, but actually what they displayed in the gameplay videos (no no one is wearing that fugly huge backpackrocket there).

That someone who actually recites about WOW would actually have a clue how to get basic things like color matching / dyes to work.

That pvp wouldn't be about stunwars.
    That illum wouldn't completly lag down with 30 players.
    That texture resolution wouldn't get down and below the showcased gameplay videos (and stays there till today, despite the "improvement").
    That necessary gear for PVP wouldn't be a complete random box *****.
    That the orange dot would survive!
    That the combat system can decide between animation or global cooldown.
    That the combat system wouldn't be a fugly thing to use because of ability delay.

That PVP gear wouldn't be the deciding factor, "10 % difference total" my ***. More like 10% in everything. 10% more healing, 10% less damage recieving, 10% more damage dealing.

That EAWARE wouldn't lie, and insult players with straight lies like the texture resolution issue and then will NEVER fix said issue. NEVER. :(

That they pretty much lied on everything - and even almost one year later barely fixed anything. Aside from not adding what they promised.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I didn't expect another SWG, as at the time, there were no signs of SWG getting shut down before SWTOR released, as both SOE and LA stated that both games could have co-existed as they were different enough. If SWTOR was more like SWG, then both would not have survived.

I liked LOTRO, and that is a lot like WOW, so thought it would end up being like that, where the worlds are designed well, and full of life. There are no exhaustion zones, and the graphics are not too cartoony, and has decent movie scenes and the characters join you in combat.

Also it did not matter what the game was like at launch, but what matters is what they do to the game to keep it fresh. SWTOR has just been basically left to rot and go stale, and not evolve, which has lead to its complete failure. All the added content is like DLC for a single player game that is easily bolted on, instead of changing / updating the game worlds, and the only features added were stuff that should have been in from day one.

Then they jump immediately into merging servers, and now F2P, instead of focus on content / enhancements, which would have gotten more people back.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

More of a social experience. It amazed me how lonely the game is. The first flashpoint was as advertised but later ones were just plain crap

I also (foolishly) expected better graphics. Bioware has always re-used art assets shamelessly but SWTOR was a disaster. Every interior looked the same just with a different color pallete. Hutt planet was just plain bad. I seen user made "Star Wars" Doom levels made in the week after release that were better done.

The clothing options were bad and the F2P "choice" of bikini armour with fish bowl helmet is just to stupid for words.

The thing I am reminded of is that Bioware has been slipping. The thing to remember is that Black Isle and Interplay were just as big a part of the Bioware legend as Bioware itself. In fact, the best of the infinity engine games? Planescape Torment? Didn't involve Bioware. 

Bioware has increasingly made cookie-cutter RPG's and SWTOR is the culmination of their slide into console territory. 

Take the companions... is there ONE of them you couldn't swear you had encounrted in Kotor/Jade Empire/Neverwinter Nights? And then the endless fascination of Bioware with the oh so funny evil sidekick... haha... no. Or the total unbalance between when you got new sidekicks and their usefulness. 

The complete lack of coloring for armors. No hairdress, no sitting. The game was just a piss poor upscaling of a poor KOTOR knockoff made by someone who thought MMORPG meant multiplayer.

What I expeted from SWTOR?

MORE

But I would have settled for:

ANYTHING

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    A good game.
  • PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Swtor turned out pretty much like I expected to be, better actually. I took all the warning signs, Lucas, Lucasart AND EA.

Getting in beta just showed me I was right all along , considering pretty much everyone who signed up gotten into some form of beta or the other they should have known better.

That said, I had my fun when it came out and now my acount is re-activated Im having my fun for the time being again. Though I do know Ill end up quiting it bored somewhere along the lines. So be it.

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223

I like many others who were crazy expected:

SWG pre CU 2.0

and than I was thrown in a cage with a bear :D

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I didn't expect much as I was in beta for almost a year. The problems people had with the game in beta were exactly the problems people had with the game at release. The devs knew a year in advanced the problems but chose to ignore the few beta testers willing to point them out. Their egos got the better of them and the game sank, forever to be named Tortanic.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei

SWG pre CU 2.0

+1

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

SWG pre CU 2.0

Forgive me for asking.. Did you expect it to be a SWG pre CU 2.0 or where you hoping it to be?

Most people Ive asked this ended up admitting it was hoping against better knowlage..

No disrespect intended, just am curious.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

i was expecting quality dialogues and that is very much that i got :)

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

SWG pre CU 2.0

and what does this mean ?

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Not much. I remembered how bland KotOR's combat was, so I knew not to expect wonders gameplay wise. I did think each class story would be a bit meatier and there would be more side quests. I hadn't seen an MMO as awfully linear as TOR.

BW promised what, 200 hours of story per class? I guess I believed it to be at least a bit closer to the truth.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by lotaparty

i was expecting quality dialogues and that is very much that i got :)

Same here, but with it being more of a MMO, especially as they stated it had the potential for a ten year lifespan

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-07-star-wars-tor-is-a-10-year-opportunity

I played SWG from July 2003 to Dec 15th 2011, and did not get bored of it at all, and a lot of people did, despite the NGE and whatnot.

So expected something similar, but that is not the case, and not only did the game bore me, but it also bore 75% of 2 million people within a few months. After that huge loss it is not going to last 10 years now, and I bet EA are working on another project to replace SWTOR to get their money back.

If you plan on playing a MMO for months, like a single player game then  SWTOR > SWG, but if you plan on playing for years / long term then SWG > SWTOR

The other thing I expected before release was that the game was going to be free to play, because it got leaked it was going to be, then immediately afterwards they retracted that statement.

SWTOR is just not worth a $15 fee. I guess they are charging that due to the OTT cost of the game.

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by sfc1971

More of a social experience. It amazed me how lonely the game is. The first flashpoint was as advertised but later ones were just plain crap

I also (foolishly) expected better graphics. Bioware has always re-used art assets shamelessly but SWTOR was a disaster. Every interior looked the same just with a different color pallete. Hutt planet was just plain bad. I seen user made "Star Wars" Doom levels made in the week after release that were better done.

The clothing options were bad and the F2P "choice" of bikini armour with fish bowl helmet is just to stupid for words.

The thing I am reminded of is that Bioware has been slipping. The thing to remember is that Black Isle and Interplay were just as big a part of the Bioware legend as Bioware itself. In fact, the best of the infinity engine games? Planescape Torment? Didn't involve Bioware. 

Bioware has increasingly made cookie-cutter RPG's and SWTOR is the culmination of their slide into console territory. 

Take the companions... is there ONE of them you couldn't swear you had encounrted in Kotor/Jade Empire/Neverwinter Nights? And then the endless fascination of Bioware with the oh so funny evil sidekick... haha... no. Or the total unbalance between when you got new sidekicks and their usefulness. 

The complete lack of coloring for armors. No hairdress, no sitting. The game was just a piss poor upscaling of a poor KOTOR knockoff made by someone who thought MMORPG meant multiplayer.

What I expeted from SWTOR?

MORE

But I would have settled for:

ANYTHING

THIS

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I kind of expected swg 2.0 mixed with KOTOR 3.   I thought we were getting a lot of star wars iconic stuff.  

What we got was wow with a star wars wrapper.   

I got to admit when I was reading all the negative things going on in early beta, I though these guys were just swg haters.  Then when I got into beta 4 month out I released they were all correct.  Sapce on rails, weak sauce for a game. 

My wife wanted so bad to play this game I left our pre cu orders in place.  The lies about the content they had banked is what finally drove us off.  Oh where is that banked content,  I sure not seen it.  Anybody remember the promises of hundres of planets, 10 years of content.    I kept our 6 month subs hoping we would see some of the banked content released. 

Waht we got was kotor 3, with a random chat room lobby (fleet),  some grouping, but mostly a single player game.  I would have been fine with it, if the game were sold like gw2 where you buy it you have it and only pay for xpac's.  However the game wasjust not good enough to pay 15 bucks a month, not for a single player, and it sure not worth playing as the fremium. 

I had hoped for swg 2.0 what I got was ea/bioware fail. 

• Sourd420Sourd420 Member Posts: 63
    KOTOR III but with a 225 million more dollars worth of developement more then Kotor II
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

To be honest, what I was expecting was "WoW with light sabres".

I describe this as: Free travel huge high population connected world with planets instead of continents, instanced PVP on all servers, overland PVP on PVP servers, Cata-style storyline questing, and instanced dungeons with direct-teleport dungeon finder.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by XAPGames

To be honest, what I was expecting was "WoW with light sabres".

I describe this as: Free travel huge high population connected world with planets instead of continents, instanced PVP on all servers, overland PVP on PVP servers, Cata-style storyline questing, and instanced dungeons with direct-teleport dungeon finder.

STOP MAKING GAMES BAD, BADDIE.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I was expecting a polished game with all the features of a regular MMO and the addition of fantastic open-world PvP.

Instead I got a beta quality game missing many of the features of a regular MMO with piss-poor PvP.

It really couldn't have gone much worse. 

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I was expecting something worthy of an endless budget. However, after playing, it was clear that almost all the budget was spent on advertising.

There is nothing that can fix this game. It's too linear from start to finish. Any additional social features that are added will just feel like a cheap "tag-on". Games have to be built around the social realm. This game is not. It's built around console-minded developers.

I mean... really. Space on rails? Linear story progression? Redundant Warzones (same 4-5 zones over and over and over and over for pvp gear)? Funnel-like zones? Idiot-proof questing (follow the x on the map), etc....

It's just a Star Wars novel with loading screens.