Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 or WOW a bit of help

2»

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Then
    If you dont have the pc to play rift, you should not be gaming?

I do but the point is why haven't they optimized the game? Trion admits they have not optimized it - it should have been when it was released. I have the PC for the game, I just find it inexcusable.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

Rift, rift...rift.   I still regret paying for the extra version, my Tortagon really got me places.  Until I fell off every other second to mobs 10 levels below me.  Rift wasn't my cup o' tea.  And it wasn't just the mount of course, just my two cents on it for the long run was that it wasn't anything more special than anything else.

WoW.  if you had played it in the past it is now so dumbed down it is so bad compared to before.  i once had fun experimenting with my skill trees.   Perhaps starting fresh it won't seem so bad.

Guild Wars 2.  Ups and downs, limited skills.  Newer game with new PvE experiences across all the races.  Still, a bit stale to me.

Really though, if you want to start fresh I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.  As long as what you want is a progressive quest chain on rails.   GW2 at least masks it.

Originally posted by bliss14

Rift, rift...rift.   I still regret paying for the extra version, my Tortagon really got me places.  Until I fell off every other second to mobs 10 levels below me.  Rift wasn't my cup o' tea.  And it wasn't just the mount of course, just my two cents on it for the long run was that it wasn't anything more special than anything else.

WoW.  if you had played it in the past it is now so dumbed down it is so bad compared to before.  i once had fun experimenting with my skill trees.   Perhaps starting fresh it won't seem so bad.

Guild Wars 2.  Ups and downs, limited skills.  Newer game with new PvE experiences across all the races.  Still, a bit stale to me.

Really though, if you want to start fresh I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.  As long as what you want is a progressive quest chain on rails.   GW2 at least masks it.

I think the point is with GW2, I can go to another starting area and play there. There is no need to be on a rail. Some people like that you know how you are progessing, some don't. Your choice in GW2.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I would personally choose Rift over them both But, if I narrowed it down to WoW vs. GW2, I would definitely choose WoW since it is so content rich. I had such high hopes for GW2, but I find that it gets boring really fast. I feel that Anet will eventually get this game on the top of the mmo food chain, but as it is right now, it is lacking for me.
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    I would personally choose Rift over them both But, if I narrowed it down to WoW vs. GW2, I would definitely choose WoW since it is so content rich. I had such high hopes for GW2, but I find that it gets boring really fast. I feel that Anet will eventually get this game on the top of the mmo food chain, but as it is right now, it is lacking for me.

WoW is content rich because it is 8 years old. You can't compare a new game to one that has had 4 extra releases to the game. There was a small update to GW2 (another area and a dungeon) and that was in less than 3 months. Compare WoW when it was released to GW2, that would be a fair compariosn, not the way WoW is now.

GW1 had a total of 3 major releases and 3 minor releases in 6 years. A.Net is the content king in that respect, my opinion, although Trion is doing a good job also.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

WoW is content rich because it is 8 years old. You can't compare a new game to one that has had 4 extra releases to the game.

I don't think he was asking for a history lesson. He has to compare them both if he you wants to know about them.

I think the point is with GW2, I can go to another starting area and play there. There is no need to be on a rail. Some people like that you know how you are progessing, some don't. Your choice in GW2.

Ok but it is still on rails right?  The personal storyline directs you through the areas it needs to be done through and on the way you stumble across the hearts and dynamic events that level you.  I don't mean to get off on a rails tangent but really I think it's hard to argue that themeparks like GW2 and most of the others don't direct you in a fairly obvious fashion.

I have absolutely nothing against themeparks, they are the bread and butter of a basic old school RPG experience in my opinion.  When I played Icewind Dale or any of the hallowed old RPG's they had rails.  Same with GW2 which I am currently playing.   The only real additives in GW2 are exploration and crafting - which are not really too evolutionary.  Although I really enjoy finding and beating the jumping puzzles :)

edit* sorry, i see you meant that you can leave your storyline and do stuff in other areas.  errrrm.....that really still seems pretty stale to me.  I mean, i'm doing all the races stories anyway why would I want to deviate from norn to asura when i'm doing it with an asura?  that's what i mean by Role Playing Game, you choose a race, play the role and go from there. 

god i hope Greed Monger is good.

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

Try a real MMO, Asheron's Call.

Both the games you stated, and ones generally like it, ARE NOT WORTH PLAYING, if you are playing games to have fun and feel accomplished.

Originally posted by IIIcurrier

Both the games you stated, and ones generally like it, ARE NOT WORTH PLAYING, if you are playing games to have fun and feel accomplished.

Fun is key to me - I did play Asheron's Call and I didnt fund it fun - just me I guess.

After all, I do enough accomplishments in RL, I just use a game to unwind and have fun. If it starts to feel like work, I leave.

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

I guess thats the difference you play Lvl 1 in mario over and over and enjoy it, I beat it in record times, or no death.

2 types of gamers, new games are made for the first.

I guess thats the difference you play Lvl 1 in mario over and over and enjoy it, I beat it in record times, or no death.

2 types of gamers, new games are made for the first.

Whoa you beat Mario with no deaths???

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Ok but it is still on rails right?  The personal storyline directs you through the areas it needs to be done through and on the way you stumble across the hearts and dynamic events that level you.  I don't mean to get off on a rails tangent but really I think it's hard to argue that themeparks like GW2 and most of the others don't direct you in a fairly obvious fashion.

<snip>

The personal storyline is IMO one of the weaker parts of the game and can be ignored once you are out of the starting instance. Like most themeparks GW2 zones are tuned for a level range so you are limited on where to go in that sense (less so than say LOTRO or Aion because scaling means you can still get XP and usable drops in zones below your level), but nothing is stopping you from turning round and heading back into your home city, taking the portal to LA then going to any of the other four 1-15 zones.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I played AC for almost two years, way back when.  Great game for its time, but its graphics are VERY outdated, and I refuse to go back to corpse runs and lost gear. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."