Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weapon Models or rather, the lack of them.....

Comments

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Instead most players are just using maybe 3 or 4 all the way to 80.   And you know it.  Thats a problem.  Is it game breaking?  Hardly.  Is it kind of puzzling and strange?  Absolutely.

You actually have to work your tail off to use 3 or 4 skins all the way to 80.    Which is one of the many reasons I find your complaining on this issue to be phony.

There are 15 racial skins that are in the weapon drops.   Fifteen.   Plus there are additional skins for rare and exotics that drop beyond those 15.    And, of course, there are all kinds of skins available for purchase using relatively small amounts of karma.

And yet you're saying there are only 3 or 4 all the way to 80...    I think the real issue is you just want to complain and blame others for your lack of exploring the game's possibilities.   

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by Damzilla

I have that sword too ! ( Ebonblade). The coolest greatsword in my opinion. Also, i agree that lower lvl models can get boring, but there are plenty of skins at higher levels.

This discussion got me curious to how many models of greatswords there actually are, found this http://dulfy.net/2012/11/07/gw2-greatsword-skin-gallery/ Minus the small count of models, 8 that I just purchased in the auction house (bronze and mithril change colors only of standard greatsword skin) pretty much everything is RARE or EXOTIC. So that is about 10 items to 50 or so focused at end game :)

Which is absurd for this game since it was advertised that endgame starts at level 1.

No, you know what's absurd?   People who can't be bothered to find out what's what or be bothered to use the transmutation stones ANet gives you for nothing to make what they want from the 41 skins (at a minimum) available...

I've used the transmutation stones but I have not on either my 80 warrior, 65 ele, or various other alts seen any more than a handful of skins.

Originally posted by MosesZD

Instead most players are just using maybe 3 or 4 all the way to 80.   And you know it.  Thats a problem.  Is it game breaking?  Hardly.  Is it kind of puzzling and strange?  Absolutely.

You actually have to work your tail off to use 3 or 4 skins all the way to 80.    Which is one of the many reasons I find your complaining on this issue to be phony.

There are 15 racial skins that are in the weapon drops.   Fifteen.   Plus there are additional skins for rare and exotics that drop beyond those 15.    And, of course, there are all kinds of skins available for purchase using relatively small amounts of karma.

And yet you're saying there are only 3 or 4 all the way to 80...    I think the real issue is you just want to complain and blame others for your lack of exploring the game's possibilities.   

Maybe you are playing a different game than I?

I have two high level toons (80, 65) and I have only seen a handful. There are many others hear voicing the same thing.  So you are obviously having an extremely different experience than us (which isn't good because ANET should have ironed this out) or there is some questionable statements made by you.

Please stop telling me what I have experienced for the last 2 or so months.  I think I know it a bit better than you.

Edit:  People whom go out of their way to make GW2 something more than it actually is put a real sour taste in my mouth.  Here I was about to launch it, and now I can't be bothered because of GW2 whiteknighting.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Has anyone noticed the lack of weapon models in this game?  Really, its almost as bad  with the armor too.  Yet especially with weapons there seems to be an amazing lack of different models. 

I've noticed the exact opposite. I regularly stop at vendors to see what new gun and bow skins I can get because I've found there's a lot more that aren't in the regular crafting and loot drop system.

The karma vendors or???

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Actually this has bugged me quite a bit as well. In GW2 armor and weapons are intended to flesh out your character and define him/her as they partake on their journey. Hell they even GIVE you a heirloom like item at the begining of the character creation to define your avatar (I chose the helm). Then you're released into the world and start to find out that the variety of customization is top heavy because it starts at level 80. And they even go as far as letting you know such by offering you transmute stones, as achievement rewards, that are only good up to level 79. Nothing wrong with that I guess but I was hoping to discover unique pieces of armor or weapons from exploring, achieving things and on my journey that I could be proud of and keep if I so wished. Which has not been the case.

In WoW, for example there were unique weapons and helms that you received from killing rares, finishing long quest lines (think hunter's bow, priest's staff and paladin's 2-handed hammer) and they didn't require you in some cases to even be at max level. Moreso, when you leveled in WoW the armor and weapon skins changed damn near every 5 levels and rarely repeated. This is why so many players referred to WoW as having rainbow brite toons with all their mixmatched gear even though it all had around they same level requirements. If they had transmutions in WoW back then like they do now I would have worn that defias outfit all the way from 13 to 80.

I just wish I had those kinds of options in GW2. Sometimes I'd bump into npcs while doing 100% completions and they'd be rockin some cool looking gear that I will never have the option of getting. I find that kinda of a letdown for a game that boast how gear doesn't matter and tries to encourage players to strive to be different. Strive to be different is right, but only if you're level 80. By that time I'm ready to move on to something fresh.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Recently I found out many special (heart, success DE) vendors have really nice and very unique skins for sale. There are also qutie a few crafted weapons with unique skin.

It';s true with my first playthrough, my ranger probably used 1 longbow the whole time. But my mesmer already used 6 different skins (base, drop, story line, story line, heart vendor, craft) of staff. I think it's all about exploring really. Optionally if you ask people about cool skins, they might give you a hint where to find it.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by Damzilla

I have that sword too ! ( Ebonblade). The coolest greatsword in my opinion. Also, i agree that lower lvl models can get boring, but there are plenty of skins at higher levels.

This discussion got me curious to how many models of greatswords there actually are, found this http://dulfy.net/2012/11/07/gw2-greatsword-skin-gallery/ Minus the small count of models, 8 that I just purchased in the auction house (bronze and mithril change colors only of standard greatsword skin) pretty much everything is RARE or EXOTIC. So that is about 10 items to 50 or so focused at end game :)

Wow a lot of those I have never seen before O.O

Volcanus looks pretty sweet.

Add the fractal weapons as well!

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Has anyone noticed the lack of weapon models in this game?  Really, its almost as bad  with the armor too.  Yet especially with weapons there seems to be an amazing lack of different models. 

I've noticed the exact opposite. I regularly stop at vendors to see what new gun and bow skins I can get because I've found there's a lot more that aren't in the regular crafting and loot drop system.

The karma vendors or???

Karma vendors and also some regular vendors. For example, there was a neat set of bows I picked up at some centaur fort that I hadn't seen anywhere else.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    To get nicer looking weapons (i.e. exotics and legendaries) you'll have to work harder then just regular leveling. There's dungeon weapons, rare exotics, karma weapons, cultural weapons... The nicer the skin the more expensive the weapon.

Many of the legendaries look like reject prototypes from a manga cartoon. I don't want to bother getting Bifrost because it looks like something out of a 'my little unicorn' movie,a dn don't get me started on Metoerlogicus....

Such a pity.

I don't think there is a lack of weapon variation however - there is enough - except in certain cases, like 2 handed swords...

But for crafted items and non-extic dungeon drops the 'variation' is not as good as it should be.

I also feel that weapons should to a limited extent by dye-able. I for instance want the TA weapons to go with my TA armour. But I have dyed the set with bronze and oxblood - so lurid purple looks ridiculous. So I don't have the them.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

so 58 skins seems like not enough to you?

I think this was deliberate choice on ANet side and I think it was good choice. Why put great skins on randomly dropped stuff? Let's say there is this cool skin on greatsword that only appears as rare 10-20 level drop. Is it better to grind those zones to get it or is it better to finish DE and buy it off vendor that spawns? Or finish a heart and buy it with karma? Or get it as personal story reward? People hate grind and RNG, but when it's not there, they complain it's not there :)

After obtaining cool looking skin, you can use transmutation stones to change look of your dull looking sword to your cool looking sword, so it does not matter if you get more dull skins from your drops.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Lack of weapon models? Try looking at the dungeon's vendor. There's a different exotic weapon skin for each dungeon.

If you're not talking about max level weapons... Then what do you expect?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

My highest toon is a level 73 thief. 

This is your problem.

The various appearance stuff doesnt really unlock until level 80.

There are probably 5-10 models while leveling up, then another 20 when you hit 80. Each dungeon has one, karma stuff, racial and faction weapons, crafted stuff and of course legendary weapons. 

I agree that there could have been more variety while leveling up, but I think they wanted to leave it as end game reward.

Edit: Ohhh looked above, 58! Thats more than I thought. Pretty impressive visuals on most too.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by evilastro

This is your problem.

There are probably 5-10 models while leveling up, then another 20 when you hit 80. Each dungeon has one, karma stuff, racial and faction weapons, crafted stuff and of course legendary weapons. 

I agree that there could have been more variety while leveling up, but I think they wanted to leave it as end game reward.

Edit: Ohhh looked above, 58! Thats more than I thought. Pretty impressive visuals on most too.

Yeah, if you check the PvP locker (in the Mist) you will see every skin in the game there. Which is where I go to check out what I need to make my character look the way I want. Though I don't think the new Fractal gear is shown in there.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Posted Image

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

This is your problem.

That's a fun fact about a game supposedly meant to have no endgame grind (or the endgame being the entire game, start to "finish").

It's just so ridicoulously IRONIC. Putting it mildly...

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by dimnikar

This is your problem.

That's a fun fact about a game supposedly meant to have no endgame grind (or the endgame being the entire game, start to "finish").

End-game is about looks. Theyve always stated this, so what did you expect ?

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Gear looks like garbage while leveling up.

Get to 80, check the gear vendors. 

Those armor and weapon skins look amazing. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

imho, it needs alot more different weapon models then it has now.......not everyone is 80 already (yeah, i am an altoholic).

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Yes, this is true.

Armor models are also recycled for the first 30 levels or so, after that it steadily gets better. But for my elementalist I kept using the same "Gandalf cane" wooden staff up until 80, no variety whatsoever. For my guardian I'm using the same basic dull sword up until max level as well, with a few rare exceptions.

When I replaced my yellow 80 staff with an exotic I ended up with a seashell on a stick, it was quite a though search to find a fitting model to transmute it. I did eventually find a good looking model btw, but they are hidding away a bit too much. Except of course the dungeon models, but many of those look rather shitty imo.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I made a thread about the lack of armor 1-79 a while back. My toon looked the same from 1-57 (I stop playing at 57). The lack of customization was a problem for me aswell. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    To get nicer looking weapons (i.e. exotics and legendaries) you'll have to work harder then just regular leveling. There's dungeon weapons, rare exotics, karma weapons, cultural weapons... The nicer the skin the more expensive the weapon.

Good MMOs have a large weapon variety without making you do legendaries.

DAoC had dozens and dozens of mundane sword models so that I wouldn't get bored just recycling the same model over and over.

• Smitt3kSmitt3k Member Posts: 21

I have had numerous skins over the levels and at endgame and I have bought extra bank space to accomodate. I would suggest looking at one of the various GW2 databases out there that show images of the varieties and what they look like in game and finding something you like and how to acquire it.

One thing I have noticed repeatedly over the levels is that alot of times different styles will share the same icon. This frustrates me to no end and has led me to do what I previously mentioned quite often as I love playing dress up with my characters. Over all though I believe GW2 to have a good amount of variety. I wish the variety was on par with something like DCUO but we can't have our cake and eat it too, so they say...

Don't get me wrong there can always be more and I hope they continue to add to the catalog as time goes on.

Originally posted by Caliburn101

Many of the legendaries look like reject prototypes from a manga cartoon. I don't want to bother getting Bifrost because it looks like something out of a 'my little unicorn' movie,a dn don't get me started on Metoerlogicus....

Such a pity.

I don't think there is a lack of weapon variation however - there is enough - except in certain cases, like 2 handed swords...

But for crafted items and non-extic dungeon drops the 'variation' is not as good as it should be.

I also feel that weapons should to a limited extent by dye-able. I for instance want the TA weapons to go with my TA armour. But I have dyed the set with bronze and oxblood - so lurid purple looks ridiculous. So I don't have the them.

This right here.

In MMORPGs, I always go the route of crafting my gear and relying on drops for my stash.  I never buy items from vendors as I am playing an adventurer starpped for cash.

To limit the skins to vendors to the extent it does is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Ironic.  Here you have a game with some brilliant design sitting alongside some of the stupidest.

Originally posted by Djildjamesh
    Originally posted by dimnikar

This is your problem.

End-game is about looks. Theyve always stated this, so what did you expect ?

It's really great when they touted endgame starts at level 1!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Anybody else sensing irrelevant claims here.

I already know who's gonna say it's relevant but oh well.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.