Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to try a vehicular MMO again?

QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Is it time to try an MMO such as Auto Assault again? I remember it had serious performance issues, but say if it wasn't just the shoddy programming, wouldn't you like to see it done with a modern engine?

Forget the avatars, forget the customization and all that unimportant shit, just start with a good game: well made driving, well made combat and enough variety in the vehicles you can drive and the game modes / objectives you can have. You can add the other things later.

What do you say?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Not for me personally, the closest thing to a vehicle mmo i would try is Star Citizen. I prefer modern-fantasy (TSW) Fantasy (WoW) Scifi fantasy (SWtor), and Medieval (Life is Fuedal, a Tale in the desert) myself.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

not realy for me either, altough i love racing games.....but not as an mmo.

A good syfi mmo or a good sandbox would be nice.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Oh god yes. There was nothing more cathartic then running over mobs after my daily commute

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

well you could just get PS2 and focus on the motorpool. =P

And that i think is the closest you are going to get for a long time, outside of game slike age or armor (if that is still around) or the upcomming transformers: prime game.

This have been a good conversation

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Yeah you could play PS2 and only drive tanks or fly the planes, but you'd have to be careful because you can only spawn them every 10-20 minutes. So if you get blown up quick you gotta wait until you can use another.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Not for me. I am not really interested in other than mmorpg concepts for mmo gameplay.   So vehicular mmo, having a car or a ship and main game being about playing it and uppgrading it?  Nah.
  • atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

I liked the idea of auto-assault but also had performance problems. By the time I was ready to give it another go with new hardware the game was running on an empty tank...and soon thereafter cancelled.

So for me - a big YES if it is done well.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by tawess

well you could just get PS2 and focus on the motorpool. =P

And that i think is the closest you are going to get for a long time, outside of game slike age or armor (if that is still around) or the upcomming transformers: prime game.

Originally posted by jusomdude
    Yeah you could play PS2 and only drive tanks or fly the planes, but you'd have to be careful because you can only spawn them every 10-20 minutes. So if you get blown up quick you gotta wait until you can use another.

You misunderstand me, I'm not looking for a game. I'm quite happy playing nothing if I don't quite get what I want. I'm merely saying such title would be interesting in the future.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I like driving games too but I think these are best limited to small groups of multiplayer only.   Doesn't make sense as a full scale MMO im my opinion.  

You could have had just as much fun playing an old Twisted Metal game as you could in Auto Assault, I think.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

As far as vehicles go, Tank beats everything...when I feel like heavy combat , it's what I play. They even recently released their 8.0 which involves having added a whole new tech tree and revampining the physics.

For example:

Before the update if you met a cliff edge, while you could still shoot, barriers kept you from going off.

And now...Well, my most recent great kill serves to show the difference. I was in my Marder II from a valley base shooting up at a ridge line of assauling enemy tanks. A Churchill spotted me but couldn't quite get a line of site with me using the base of another ridge as cover in the valley below. He nudged foward to get his sight's on me, and pushed it a tad to far, I let one off on the nose of his tank and that was the tipping point, he slid down the cliff side and came to rest ina nearly destroyed state about 50 feet down the near sheer vertical slope...What was worse for him, the back end swung around during his slip and slide (to mine own benefit, as it gave me a near perfect shot on his rear armour), and he was high centered on a crag. Took one more good shot and he was done (mostly did it to himself).

I used to have a lot of little issues with this MMO but they rebalanced a lot of the tech tree's and with this new physics engine... the game is really enoyable now I have to say.

Does fallen earth have cars with guns?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@Helleri

WoT is not really MMO imo though.  Afterall you play in instanced maps-arenas.   It is similar game type-framework like LoL or Battlefield 3.     Mutliplayer or multilplayer online battle arena.  You enter arenas (maps) and fight battles there.

Your account and your tanks (characters) are persistant but where you play is not.   Just like in BF3 or Diablo 3.

Only real mmo element in WoT is map where guilds fight for teritorial control, but that's side-feature that is used by small fraction of player's.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Is it time to try an MMO such as Auto Assault again? I remember it had serious performance issues, but say if it wasn't just the shoddy programming, wouldn't you like to see it done with a modern engine?

What do you say?

I'd say +1. Still miss my biomek sometimes, he was waiting for agent Godot at the time when the plug was pulled :)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Mad max mmo :D
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Would be awesome excpet for the full loot total PvP that would come with it   :(

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Interesting that you mention Auto Assault, with Mechwarrior just around the corner.  Of course MWO is just so much more lame than MPBT was (almost two decades ago).

Same game, really.  Carmageddon, Car Wars, Autoduel, several other classic variants--not all involving cars of course.  I remember a 'build your own mutant destroyer of worlds' thing from the 90s...damn if I can remember the title, but same general idea.

But the more "build your own custom" addon-doohickeys you put in, the more sandbox-y such games will be.

---

Unfortunately 'arena combat' lends itself, too easily, to a really lame-and-limited implementations.

So does "moped race 2076!!".

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

If you played AA on the human side, it was pretty much like a Mad Max one... wasteland, destroyed highways, empty ruined projects, gangs roamed in scrapyard-fabricated vehicles, with fortified towns for safety, etc. Not to mention fighting with your armed car was fun :)

Edit: nope, Mech games always had fps-like gameplay, just like Mechwarrior Online. AA had a pretty unique combat, no side-step, speed depending turn rate, different weapon types for the weapon slots... It was close to STO's space combat, only on ground and with faster movement (starships aren't designed for a quick dogfight :) ).

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Definitely.  Playing as a car, space ship, tank, etc would be a great change of pace.  The avatar thing is wearing thin.

I disagree with "forget the customization" part though.  You do need a variety of vehicles to keep it interesting.  You wouldn't need levels, epic gear, raids and all that stuff (another welcome change of pace).

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by dave6660

Definitely.  Playing as a car, space ship, tank, etc would be a great change of pace.  The avatar thing is wearing thin.

I disagree with "forget the customization" part though.  You do need a variety of vehicles to keep it interesting.  You wouldn't need levels, epic gear, raids and all that stuff (another welcome change of pace).

By "customization I mean" paintjob and fluff - things that offer no additional variety to gameplay. And the point was that a developer would actually have its primary focus on the gameplay for a change.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Honest, I can see an auto based Sim style MMO working. I also think it's what could make MMO a sponsor based introduction.

Picture the MMO in an almost Fast and Furious type set up where you are a driver looking for races and jobs. Unlocked depending who you have loyalties and alliance with. You could mod the cars you own, have a Garage and have cars based on the Garage size. Spend your money on the cars, on a variety of things that improve your status according to how you wanted that status to be.

Cars in the game could be open to the developers negotiations with sponsors. Want a 2013 Mustang in the game? We can do that. Tricked up 2014 Dodge Ram for mud races? No problem, give us a render we can put in the game. Let people own a virtual model. New bought new from NPC dealers, used is NPC used care salesmen and of course players. The potential is there. I don't know what kind of development time and money it would run.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by dave6660

By "customization I mean" paintjob and fluff - things that offer no additional variety to gameplay. And the point was that a developer would actually have its primary focus on the gameplay for a change.

Then I'm all for it.  I've never got to use a racing wheel for an mmorpg before.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Forget the avatars, forget the customization and all that unimportant shit, just start with a good game: well made driving, well made combat and enough variety in the vehicles you can drive and the game modes / objectives you can have. You can add the other things later.

What do you say?

WOT .. not a MMO .. but close enough.

Originally posted by free2play

Honest, I can see an auto based Sim style MMO working. I also think it's what could make MMO a sponsor based introduction.

Picture the MMO in an almost Fast and Furious type set up where you are a driver looking for races and jobs. Unlocked depending who you have loyalties and alliance with. You could mod the cars you own, have a Garage and have cars based on the Garage size. Spend your money on the cars, on a variety of things that improve your status according to how you wanted that status to be.

Cars in the game could be open to the developers negotiations with sponsors. Want a 2013 Mustang in the game? We can do that. Tricked up 2014 Dodge Ram for mud races? No problem, give us a render we can put in the game. Let people own a virtual model. New bought new from NPC dealers, used is NPC used care salesmen and of course players. The potential is there. I don't know what kind of development time and money it would run.

It sounds like EA's lame NFS World :)

I'd prefer a more Auto Assault-ish game instead, with a huge world, different terrain types (in AA the first time you drove into a snowy terrain, you learned right away why is it important to keep multiple sets of tires...), a nice story with funny references, basically a vehicular MMO just as OP asked, and not only an online racing game.

Edit: or an online shooting game like WoT :)

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Po_gg

I'd prefer a more Auto Assault-ish game instead, with a huge world, different terrain types (in AA the first time you drove into a snowy terrain, you learned right away why is it important to keep multiple sets of tires...), a nice story with funny references, basically a vehicular MMO just as OP asked, and not only an online racing game.

Never knew about NFS World. I checked it out. I'd throw in a bit more GTA and some Avatar stuff but I liked what I saw in NFS World. I need to go check that out!

Originally posted by Po_gg

Never knew about NFS World. I checked it out. I'd throw in a bit more GTA and some Avatar stuff but I liked what I saw in NFS World. I need to go check that out!

Good luck with that :)  it's somewhat fun in the beginning, but then it switches into pay-to-win mode. And I don't mean those barely p2w models you could meet in games browsing this site, I mean full-blown pay to win, as in you don't pay, you'll get pwnd 9 times out of 10. If you're lucky :)