Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its time for a dungeonfinder

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Oh heck yes. 

Its one of my few complaints about GW2.  How do they not have this?  Because of this I've run one single dungeon.  I'm not a dungeon fan really.  In fact its my least favorite part of an mmo.  But occasionally I will tromp into one for some variety and I end up having fun.  But if there's no dungeon finder I just don't bother.  Forget it.  If I'm going to do something in mmo's I'm already kind of "Meh" about I'd appreciate a tool to just make it as painless as possible.  Not having a dungeon finder just kind of makes me entirely avoid it. 

Again this is one of the few complaints I'm having about GW2.  I love the game.  Lovei t.  But the lack of a dungeon finder is irking me and has since I began playing. 

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by SirFubar
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Putting in a dungeon finder in any game is basically admitting that you screwed up the game design and have given up.

How so?

Yes I would like to know as well.

[mod edit]

Okies ,lets imagine that dungeon finder wont ruin anything.

Now i do dungeons in my offtime with my friends  and i dont have time to mine resources or craft or kill world bosses while im doing dungeons.

So by using your logic,i find it very usefull to use hacks,teleporting to nodes and monsters  and getting items and whatever rewards there is from bosses ,+1000 x speed crafting  ,its really useful for those people who dont care to wait other players or dont have time to craft.

This doesnt change anything to you,its only useful for people who plays offtime.........

Whatever there is in the game there could be a "tool" for it,but these tools destroys the original idea.

Let's internet

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

I alwasy considered that it was indicative of the quality of Guild Wars 2 that people did not complain about the lack of dungeon finder right from the outset, where they complained violently about it when Bioware omitted a DF from SWTOR.

;D

• TenjouTenjou Member Posts: 20

They need to create similar functionality for dungeon finder - localised version.

For example: create board near dungeon, where ppl can sign for a party approval or that they search for a new members. 

Problem fixed.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Tenjou

They need to create similar functionality for dungeon finder - localised version.

For example: create board near dungeon, where ppl can sign for a party approval or that they search for a new members. 

Problem fixed.

But how to get people in front of dungeons,thats a challenge these days.

Somekind of minigame is needed which should be atleast fun and maybe even a bit  rewarding.

Kill the entrance boss and get +xxxx buff for that dungeon.

something.

or

WoW pvp server example (alliance) go to Scarlet Monastery walking  from xxxxxx and get +xxxxx buff.

or doing some minigame gives higher droprate for the item that player is after.

Let's internet

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Originally posted by SirFubar
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Putting in a dungeon finder in any game is basically admitting that you screwed up the game design and have given up.

How so?

Yes I would like to know as well.

[mod edit]

Okies ,lets imagine that dungeon finder wont ruin anything.

Now i do dungeons in my offtime with my friends  and i dont have time to mine resources or craft or kill world bosses while im doing dungeons.

So by using your logic,i find it very usefull to use hacks,teleporting to nodes and monsters  and getting items and whatever rewards there is from bosses ,+1000 x speed crafting  ,its really useful for those people who dont care to wait other players or dont have time to craft.

This doesnt change anything to you,its only useful for people who plays offtime.........

Whatever there is in the game there could be a "tool" for it,but these tools destroys the original idea.

What in hells bells are you talking about?  I don't even......

Currently I can get into a group, while someone spams map chat in Lions Arch so we can get a full 5 man group for the dugneon.  Meanwhile I'm either the one doing it, or Im out in the world PvEing to pass the time.  If there was a dungeon finder it just saves people from having to spam for a group in map chat.  Period.  That's all it does. 

I'd say the fact there's not a dungeon finder in GW2 is a design flaw or something overlooked that was needed.  But as for everything you just said, that literally makes absolutely no sense at all. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Open dungeons that work as a series of dynamic events.

Why they didn't go this way?

They could also go semi open, think like mount gunbad in war, you did a series of pqs to earn influence, that could be traded for keys that then let you into instanced 6 man rooms with the bosses.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

Well putting in vertical progression so quickly has already said that.

I'd agree on that point. Seeing how everyday there are fewer and fewer people in the open world clearing temples in Orr or doing the older dungeons.

All because they have successfully broken the loot system outside of dungeons, broken magic find outside of dungeons, and setup a system so that people will only be interested in the gear located in only a single dungeon, the Fractals. buuut that's another thread entirely.

If they do a DF correctly, they can not cross realm (at first at least) not auto-teleport and compromise in the communities needs.

I do have to say tho that even tho we have a harder time now trying to get to the temples to buy anything, it is far easier to farm karma now that they have boosted the rewards in 55+ zones. Now if only they would fix the loot problems.

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    I don't like the idea of implementing a dungeon finder as it is in WoW, but I do like the idea of having a menu where players can list themselves as looking for a group and also be able to give a description of what kind of group they are looking for, like if they are only looking to do AC path 1 for example. This way, you don't need to spam LA and can just whisper players in that list. I like this idea better than how it is in WoW because it forces you to have some communication beforehand, "hey want to join our group?" I think this helps perserve some sense of community as it may create more of a bond between the players, more than saying nothing at all to each other. You could also group easier with the people in your own server. Maybe a LFG channel could also be useful.
  • thetimesthetimes Member Posts: 49
    Dungeon finders hurt Wpvp, since there is no Wpvp in GW2, a dungeon finder shouldn't be a problem.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I don't understand the hate for Dungeon Finder Tools.  It's an improvement in the genre for the better.  Just because WoW did it, doesn't mean they are all bad.  It's the implementation of WoW's current MMO design that makes it bad, not the tool itself.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by observer
    I don't understand the hate for Dungeon Finder Tools.  It's an improvement in the genre for the better.  Just because WoW did it, doesn't mean they are all bad.  It's the implementation of WoW's current MMO design that makes it bad, not the tool itself.

Me neither and the poll proves a large majorrity agrees with us, despite the no sayers being more vocal on the boards on average.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    GW2 may very well need a dungeon finder, but such a feature would probably have a negative effect on dynamic events.  You'll have more people sitting around towns, which isn't a problem in most MMORPGs, but GW2 prides itself on its emphasis on cooperative play.  DEs just aren't very fun when you're soloing all of them.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by kevjards
    imo this is how you ruin a game..everyone standing around static like twats.i hate these dungeon finders..absolutely the worse idea to ever be invented

let me elaborate on what i mean by this comment i made above..because it goes a bit deeper than just standing around.

I played warcraft yrs ago when it first came out and i loved it..but at some point they put a dungeon finder tool in the game while i was taking a break because of ill health.

so i came back to the game after 6 months and thought to myself this is fantastic idea.kind of saves you going to the dungeon itself.instant transport etc,etc.

what came next was  the reason i left the game..so i got in a dungeon with this group of guys and everything started of ok.trash mobs etc.

before this i explained to the guys i was rusty and the reason why to take it easy..just so i could get back into the swing of things.they agreed apart from 1 guy.the abuse i endured of this guy because of not being up to scratch you have no idea.eventually he got kicked from the group by the leader.so we got a replacement..everything was explained to him about me being rusty.

he was even worse than the previous guy who was kicked.

so i started asking the remainder of the guys what the hell is going on with the game for people to be like that..the explanation was the randomization of the dungeon finder tool.it would put you with anyone .people not so nice and people who were extremely nice.and has a result because people were'nt so happy dying in a dungeon they didnt want noobs like me with them.

my wife has suffered this abuse also on warcraft but for some reason she just tolerates it which is what i should have done.

this is just a small reason why i hate these tools..pug grps can be really bad via a dungeon finder tool..this is not too say this is limited to warcraft..the behaviour i mean.the moment these are put in game.well the abuse flying is unreal.

i do understand people liking them for convenience..but to me they are a nightmare..i play lotro and most people who play that game dont use it at all.we organise our grp before we use the transport thats linked to the tool.has i say the instant travel is one of the good points of the tool..its some of the players that make it bad i suppose.

i dont know if that makes sense but in warcraft it used to bring the worse out in people.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

i dont get som mmo players.....rly...

All they do is say how they like mmo's for their social interaction but at the same time they dont want to interact with the community to get a group together. (makes those people real anti social individuals imho).

Oh yeah, if you dont like all the spamming in the chat then maybe you could play a single player rgp right?

I for one like all the chatting, if a dont want to follow it i just dont read it and i go solo in the world.....as for dungeons.....every time i get near a dungeon people whisper me to join, and sometimes i do sometimes i dont.

imho....anet should let all the Dungeon finder whiners whine.....once they have the gear they want the dungeon doesnt mean shit anymore to them so let them leave.

i seen the dungeon finder in wow made people leave because once the DF gets the groups full, only the elite players get to join and the casuals get kicked because they aint good enough.....gearscore anyone???

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    imo this is how you ruin a game..everyone standing around static like twats.i hate these dungeon finders..absolutely the worse idea to ever be invented

let me elaborate on what i mean by this comment i made above..because it goes a bit deeper than just standing around.

I played warcraft yrs ago when it first came out and i loved it..but at some point they put a dungeon finder tool in the game while i was taking a break because of ill health.

so i came back to the game after 6 months and thought to myself this is fantastic idea.kind of saves you going to the dungeon itself.instant transport etc,etc.

what came next was  the reason i left the game..so i got in a dungeon with this group of guys and everything started of ok.trash mobs etc.

before this i explained to the guys i was rusty and the reason why to take it easy..just so i could get back into the swing of things.they agreed apart from 1 guy.the abuse i endured of this guy because of not being up to scratch you have no idea.eventually he got kicked from the group by the leader.so we got a replacement..everything was explained to him about me being rusty.

so i started asking the remainder of the guys what the hell is going on with the game for people to be like that..the explanation was the randomization of the dungeon finder tool.it would put you with anyone .people not so nice and people who were extremely nice.and has a result because people were'nt so happy dying in a dungeon they didnt want noobs like me with them.

my wife has suffered this abuse also on warcraft but for some reason she just tolerates it which is what i should have done.

this is just a small reason why i hate these tools..pug grps can be really bad via a dungeon finder tool..this is not too say this is limited to warcraft..the behaviour i mean.the moment these are put in game.well the abuse flying is unreal.

i do understand people liking them for convenience..but to me they are a nightmare..i play lotro and most people who play that game dont use it at all.we organise our grp before we use the transport thats linked to the tool.has i say the instant travel is one of the good points of the tool..its some of the players that make it bad i suppose.

i dont know if that makes sense but in warcraft it used to bring the worse out in people.

I AGREE 1000%

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Previously I would have said not needed - but after having to use /map chat for 45 mins before I could get into a group for my particular paper-slice of the Fractals Dungeon I have to say it is now a critical issue.

Someone clearly wasn't drinking enough coffee (or too much) when they programmed the Fractals user experience. From the endlessly wailing NPC outside to the endless wait for a 'lvl XX' run - the whole thing has been an example of what goes wrong when people don't consider the consequences of what they put in place.

The dungeons are great (although for the number of levels of run there are not enough different ones...) but the UI is borked...

... and the ENTIRE reason a Dungeon Finder is now a requirement.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

let me elaborate on what i mean by this comment i made above...

That attitude you're talking about was happening long, long before dugeon finder was ever introduced in that game. I suppose you could argue the dungeon finder exasperated the issue. How I'm not sure because frankly when I came back to the game after they introduced that finder seemed about the same community to me as when I left. Suppose that was why it didn't really phase me any. The community went to shit way before dungeonfinder ever came along. Hell, you could see it's decline pretty significantly even over the first several months the game came out. Was even more stunning to see how that same mentality became prevalent in other mmos as well. Dungeon finder had nothing to do with it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    It's always time for dungeon finder. But some developers never get in touch

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• serratedpigeonserratedpigeon Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by oubers
    i seen the dungeon finder in wow made people leave because once the DF gets the groups full, only the elite players get to join and the casuals get kicked because they aint good enough.....gearscore anyone???

Hmmmm it seemed to me that the addition of a DF in wow helped people get away from judging others based on GS by setting a minimum to get in in the first place... now when you were spamming in town to get a group together that's when people really start inspecting your gear.

I don't even wanna touch the concept of someone feeling bullied and blaming it on a feature of the game from an earlier post.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Sounds like you were being just as inconsiderate.  You could have chosen an easy dungeon to get back into the swing of things with.  Why hold four others back?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    A quick fix to be able to find groups is to get rid of map chat. If it was just local say, people interested in grouping for a dungeon would all congregate outside of the entrance.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Didn't have a choice for:

"I think dungeon finders are okay so long as they aren't cross server and don't auto-teleport you inside a dungeon"

So I didn't vote.

Also there wasn't one for "see results"

Oh and finally that was completely beside the point that this game was so NOT supposed to be about dungeons at all according to the manifesto.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

There is no flaw in a group finder.  You tag yourself as lfg and pick a dungeons or activity from a drop down list.  Allow a short description for more info.  Then you go about your day.  You don't have to be anywhere specific, because if you want to find people it's all right there.  You filter from the drop down to see who's doing what and right click to invite or chat as usual.  No insta warping to a dungeon.  No auto grouping.  Just an effective way to tag yourself and keep on playing.

Simple.  It's basic.  DAOC had a LFG tool 10+ yrs ago.  Wow has one.  Many MMOs do.   I simply won't waste my time sitting around waiting to group.  If I'm playing for 2 hrs I'll be damned if I have to sit around for a 1/2 hr or more waiting to play.  Sorry!   It's why I really don't play all that much anymore.  And really how hard is it to implement?  Far more useful than useless temporary content we've been getting.  Their priorities are completely off, spending too much time making content we forget a out in a day or many can't even do, because of the lousy engine that can barely handle 50 people on scene at once.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Josher

There is no flaw in a group finder.  You tag yourself as lfg and pick a dungeons or activity from a drop down list.  Allow a short description for more info.  Then you go about your day.  You don't have to be anywhere specific, because if you want to find people it's all right there.  You filter from the drop down to see who's doing what and right click to invite or chat as usual.  No insta warping to a dungeon.  No auto grouping.  Just an effective way to tag yourself and keep on playing.

Simple.  It's basic.  DAOC had a LFG tool 10+ yrs ago.  Wow has one.  Many MMOs do.   I simply won't waste my time sitting around waiting to group.  If I'm playing for 2 hrs I'll be damned if I have to sit around for a 1/2 hr or more waiting to play.  Sorry!   It's why I really don't play all that much anymore.  And really how hard is it to implement?  Far more useful than useless temporary content we've been getting.  Their priorities are completely off, spending too much time making content we forget a out in a day or many can't even do, because of the lousy engine that can barely handle 50 people on scene at once.

I agree with you on the auto-grouping.  I would rather have more control on which classes/levels i would want to group with.

Teleporting to a dungeon wouldn't be so bad in GW2 though.  It already has Waypoints anyway, and teleporting inside a dungeon removes the unnecessary steps of porting outside the dungeon, then going inside it, which is all that would happen if you already had a full group.