Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has the mass exodus begun for GW2?

Comments

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I didnt suggest it was. But I'm getting more of that faction pride, must paint more of the map my colour before I go to bed vine from ps2 than I get from gw2. It's silly little things like no player names and stuff that gw2 gets wrong, the hard things like having a good engine to handle it, it gets right. Very frustrating.

inb4 you leave PS2 and "wait for TESO".

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Xsonic
    If you guys are leaving the game, I'll buy your accounts for 10 bucks :D lol.

Sadly you will have no takers.  Not even the ones saying they are leaving.  Because they want the ability to return.  Which is kind of funny. 

But I'll be entirely honest.  I have seen NO, absolutely NO, indication that the game is even loosing players, much less dying.  Start out in any zone.  There are players everywhere.  In mid zones I tend to see less.  I said less.  By no means have I ever seen a zone that is empty or even close to empty.  I play on Maguuma btw.  

Not 5 min goes by in any zone where I dont see another few players.  And by that I mean more than one typically.  There is not 5 min that goes by where I dont jump in and fight a mob that another player is currently fighting just to help them out and vice versa.  Some areas of the game are a bit lonely, while other zones, mid, low, and high level are bustling. 

Its no different as far as people running around than any mmorpg I've played.  The only difference in GW2 is I'm always glad to see them.  Unlike other games where I actually wish I was alone so I could get a quest done faster, or I worried about people stealing my kills. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Blue:
    I might play TESO for the pve.

I doubt it will be as good as planetside (or gw2) at rvr due to all the phasing and sharding. I think they will have big problems with players transferring to channels where their alliance is the zerg.
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    I don't care. I don't care about what anybody else thinks about this game. I don't care about the new items at all. I just enjoy the game.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

Originally posted by RavingRabbid
    I uninstalled GW2. The  shallow, repetitive, and the "de-leveling" left me not wanting to sign in anymore. I'm not quite sure if there is a mass exodus, but im sure alot of people have left already.

People who have left GW2 and no longer playing it : 

" I'm sure a lot of people are leaving. I left the game and quit.  There could be a mass exodus, but if not, I have no doubt people are leaving...."

People who are currently playing GW2 :

" I've not really noticed any kind of lack in players at all.  There are overflows in Lions Arch at all times.  I see people in every zone and the game feels anything but lifeless to me.  Plenty of people around." 

I think it just MIGHT be logical to listen to the people actually playing it.  You know....as opposed to the people actually not playing it who think the game must be loosing players because....well...they left.  Because apparently everyone was there for them, not the game itself. 

Again people not playing, " Game is dying ", people who are playing it, " Game has a healthy population and I'm enjoying it.".

Yea I think I'll listen to the later thanks. 

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    I have been playing GW2 since beta. So far I have 2 characters. I haven't been in all the dungeons nor the new ones. Participated in the halloween and the recent event. But I mostly play in W v W. Game is fun, no complaints about population at all.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Lizardone
    I have been playing GW2 since beta. So far I have 2 characters. I haven't been in all the dungeons nor the new ones. Participated in the halloween and the recent event. But I mostly play in W v W. Game is fun, no complaints about population at all.

The problem, which has been emphasized numerous times already in this thread is there is a lack of players in the sub 70 PVE leveling areas, not WvWvW which you find fine.

Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Lizardone

The problem, which has been emphasized numerous times already in this thread is there is a lack of players in the sub 70 PVE leveling areas, not WvWvW which you find fine.

Its hard to say.  I play on Maguuma.  Its fine.  Are the other servers fine?  Beats me.  I guess its how you define a "lack of players".  Should I constantly see another player as I play?  Should there always be someone around me?  Because no, that's not what I'm experiencing, nor have I ever with any mmorpg. 

Do I see another player at least about every 5 min no matter what zone I'm in?  Yea.  Several.  Sometimes there's events going on and Im the only one in them.  That happens about....I guess maybe a one time out of five.  It also really depends on if Im playing in the middle of the night which I do some.  Most of the time, there's at least 2 or three others doing an event with me. 

I've never felt like I was really alone playing GW2.  I see people running by, helping me out, me helping them, etc etc all the time.  Now I can't say that GW2 has just tons of players.  But I can certainly say they don't have too few.  At least on my server. 

Oh and the tradehouse is across all servers.  So when I put something up for sale at a decent price?  Its gone within 2 min. usually.  Sometimes it gone instantly.  I never have anything left over.  Most things vanish after I put them up in seconds.   I'll worry about general cross server population once I'm having trouble selling things on the tradehouse.  Because right now its all flying off the shelf so fast I can't even keep up. When I put something up for sale its almost like I just sold it to a vendor.  The money is nearly instant.  That indicates a pretty healthy player base to me.  But I guess I could be wrong. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

It will depend of the time and days you play.

The population per area isn't at the same level as it was at the release - that is to be expected, because if even everyone was still pulling the crazy 12+ hours play sessions, the world expanded considerably from a handfull of zones to many more + instances.

Still, sometimes you in an area and you will only see a couple of players and that will be a problem for a few events, especially if your gear aren't up to par.

But logging in the same zone at a later time you will see 5, 10, 20 players joining forces for group and meta events.

So YMMV.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

After having completed my 60th fractal on the 2nd day of the Lost Isles release, I had to call it quits. Their faux difficulty is just something that I cannot get behind. If anything it's lazy dungeon design and frankly it's exploitative of the human psyche. Here Arena Net is creating these gear treadmills which only reward gear through RNG, no amount of applicable skill will ever reward you with the next tier above Exotic.

To describe the "faux difficulty" is simple, with each fractal level from 1-9 you will notice small increases in enemy health, armor, damage, and quantity. Upon reaching level 10 the "main boss" of each fractal will have damage over time debuff added to his or her attacks known as agony which at level 10 is manageable up to level 15-17 depending on how much healing is present in your party. Upon reaching fractal level 20 you'll reach the point where just the agony ticks alone will kill you seconds. All the while the enemy health/armor/damage will also increase. At 80 you can expect agony to tick well over 10k, and boss hits for 12k-30k at 75% damage reduction. Super fun fact, agony applies to reflected damage, this can be used to kill bosses.

Do you remember your first Realm of War attempts(FoW), or howabout those early days at Thunderhead peak? What about the Hardmode release in 2007, where enemies became smarter, faster, and having to worry about every enemy having an elite skill. Surely at some point something must have been lost, because I can't fathom anyone saying hey lets make a dungeon that offers a higher tier of gear, and in order to fully complete it you have to do a minimum of 273 path clears! With each clear we'll increase the stats of all the enemies, it'll be so much fun!

Though I don't damn them for the concept of the infinite dungeon, but a dungeon with 8 paths and the occasional 9th path is far from infinite. Honestly when I first heard the idea of infinite dungeon my mind immediately thought of the LSD Dream Simulator, where you could visit the same area but at the same time everything would be different. Now this can happen to a small extent such as the forced pathing in the swamp, cliffside, and battlefield fractals. Though it's no where near the level of randomness that you could see from the 1998 playstation game mentioned previously. Surely I'm not the only one who finds that slightly disappointing. Then again, who really knows? Maybe it was the intention of the developers to create something truely infinite and outrageous, but due to time constraints they were forced to release early in order to have enough time to finish whatever Wintersday events.

Simply put, this dungeon is to Guild Wars as Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts was to Banjo Tooie.

I had a friend tell me that it was kind of nice to see some sort of competitive PvE aspect in Guild Wars 2, that same friend also told me that no one was holding my wrist and forcing me to do fractals after I had objected to the idea of grinding mindlessly to stay competitive. I found that ever so slightly amusing, as often time contradictions are humor upon themselves. However I digress, for those that still play, I hope you understand that these types of grinds are only going to get worse with each new content release. See Guild Wars Night Fall's Domain of Anguish At least with Lightbringer ranks you were always making progress, maybe they should just bring back titles. At least then you wouldn't feel like you were wasting your time trying to get a weapon from the 20+ daily chests.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Made an alt today just to play in these "no population lower level maps" and I got to lvl 58.

From level 10 - 47 I had a full party of 5 switched out between different and new players about every 45 minutes or so.

Therefore, you people just need to learn to talk. There are tons of people in the lower level zones still.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Made an alt today just to play in these "no population lower level maps" and I got to lvl 58.

From level 10 - 47 I had a full party of 5 switched out between different and new players about every 45 minutes or so.

Therefore, you people just need to learn to talk. There are tons of people in the lower level zones still.

You got to level 58 in a single day?  Woa......

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

After having completed my 60th fractal on the 2nd day of the Lost Isles release,

Daayuuummmmmmmmmm.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I think Planetside is and will take a lot of players from WvW. I was having decent fun in WvW until I played the PS2 beta. After that it was over.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

After having completed my 60th fractal on the 2nd day of the Lost Isles release,

Daayuuummmmmmmmmm.

hahaha, my thoughts exactly! :)

After having done FotM level 7 i can honestly say i still really like the dungeon. I am having more fun in these dungeons then i have ever had in all the WoW expansions wich is odd coz WoW dungeons are often refered too as the pinnicle of PvE.

I really hope Arena Net learned from there mistakes and that the dungeons are only getting better and better.

OT: Since many people have level'd up and are chilling in the lvl 80 zones it's not strange mid zones can feel abit more emptier .... that is however a very normal thing. There has been no mass excodus yet... the ones that did leave just left because they didn't liked the game.

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51
    Yes people are quitting the GW2 because of the horrible kiddie story with terrible writing and characters wth no character, and probably the boring pointless grind at the end. I hink it's about time some of these wannabe MMO's try looking to FFXI (the nearly perfect MMO) for guidance. FFXI endgame is MMO perfection.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

This is indeed a big problem since some of the DEs are meant to be done in a group and then there are problems with getting groups together for some of the lower level dungeons. One guy mentioned he got to level 58 in a group of 5 players, I haven't come across 4 other players in the zones, even talking in /map asking if anyone wanted to do some of the boss DEs.

I am actually a pretty social player, so I am not allergic to starting groups, heck I even can sometimes manage to scrounge up non-guildies to do some of the few remaining group quests in WoW, but man... if there is anything I can say about both GW2 and SWToR so far is that people seem to really not want to group up, not even if in the long run they get to do content they would otherwise not see.

Again, I could have just chosen a 'bad' server from a population standpoint, but when I first started, the French servers were on medium and I just chose one of them *shrug*.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

This is indeed a big problem since some of the DEs are meant to be done in a group and then there are problems with getting groups together for some of the lower level dungeons. One guy mentioned he got to level 58 in a group of 5 players, I haven't come across 4 other players in the zones, even talking in /map asking if anyone wanted to do some of the boss DEs.

I am actually a pretty social player, so I am not allergic to starting groups, heck I even can sometimes manage to scrounge up non-guildies to do some of the few remaining group quests in WoW, but man... if there is anything I can say about both GW2 and SWToR so far is that people seem to really not want to group up, not even if in the long run they get to do content they would otherwise not see.

Again, I could have just chosen a 'bad' server from a population standpoint, but when I first started, the French servers were on medium and I just chose one of them *shrug*.

I don't have the problems you describe. There are tons of people in the world in all leveling zones. But then again I play on a high population English server. German/French/Spanish servers always have a much lower population to other servers as only those countries play on these servers.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

Still not noticing this "exodus", are you guys sure that  you are playing GW2?

Everytime I go into the WvW its so packed that I have to wait a few minutes in que. You guys must be thinking of another game, like SWTOR or something....lol

Well, as a pve'er primarily, they must all be doing pvp these days, because I have seen like 5 other players total in a week of playing in level 60-70 zones.  Maybe that is the issue.

But even you own barometer of WvW queues indicates a massive drop off in players. The first 4-6 weeks of this game, I had a minimum hour long queue, often over two hours. A few minutes--if your server has a similar population to ours--would indicate a fairly massive population drop.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid
    I uninstalled GW2. The  shallow, repetitive, and the "de-leveling" left me not wanting to sign in anymore. I'm not quite sure if there is a mass exodus, but im sure alot of people have left already.

People who have left GW2 and no longer playing it : 

" I'm sure a lot of people are leaving. I left the game and quit.  There could be a mass exodus, but if not, I have no doubt people are leaving...."

People who are currently playing GW2 :

" I've not really noticed any kind of lack in players at all.  There are overflows in Lions Arch at all times.  I see people in every zone and the game feels anything but lifeless to me.  Plenty of people around." 

I think it just MIGHT be logical to listen to the people actually playing it.  You know....as opposed to the people actually not playing it who think the game must be loosing players because....well...they left.  Because apparently everyone was there for them, not the game itself. 

Again people not playing, " Game is dying ", people who are playing it, " Game has a healthy population and I'm enjoying it.".

Yea I think I'll listen to the later thanks. 

The thing is, I *am* playing it, and liking it. But on our server, the mid level pop is deeeeead. I have played a week at level 50-70 and out in the zones I can cound the number of people I have seen on my fingers.

Counting the population in Lion's Arch is meaningless. It is *the* primary hub. Many people log in and out there, it is the main travel hub and a main crafting hub. There could be 200 people on the server and you could get an overflow at Lion's Arch.

Maybe this is server by server, and maybe yours has a much healthier population than ours (Tarnished Coast), but ours is marked as full all the time, it just does not really feel that way at all.

I guess the main thrust of this entire thread is that at the end of the day, there is a mass exodus from one server to another server? Or that individual results may vary?

I like the game, and want it to grow and prosper, but it just feels like its going the other direction to me. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Yaoiman
    Yes people are quitting the GW2 because of the horrible kiddie story with terrible writing and characters wth no character, and probably the boring pointless grind at the end. I hink it's about time some of these wannabe MMO's try looking to FFXI (the nearly perfect MMO) for guidance. FFXI endgame is MMO perfection.

Why is it that whenever I go into LA I get booted to an overflow serever then? If you what you say is true, that wouldn't happen.

Sorry, I don't think so. [mod edit]

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by botrytis

Why is it that whenever I go into LA I get booted to an overflow serever then? If you what you say is true, that wouldn't happen.

Sorry, I don't think so. BTW, the attitude has been noted and could be considered trolling......

Technically, the presence (or absence) of an LA overflow only shows the population of LA on that specifc server.  You could posit that LA population has a direct relation to the populations of all other zones in the game.  However, people have mentioned experiences that would counter that theory, so it would be difficult to prove true in all cases.

That being said, LA overflow can certainly occur on a sparsely populated server, as only the population numbers of LA are taken into account.  Many consider LA to be the 'central social hub' of GW2, which would lead one to believe it's population would depend on the number of socialites currently online, rather than the overall number of online players.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by killion81
    Originally posted by botrytis

Sorry, I don't think so. BTW, the attitude has been noted and could be considered trolling......

Technically, the presence (or absence) of an LA overflow only shows the population of LA on that specifc server.  You could posit that LA population has a direct relation to the populations of all other zones in the game.  However, people have mentioned experiences that would counter that theory, so it would be difficult to prove true in all cases.

That being said, LA overflow can certainly occur on a sparsely populated server, as only the population numbers of LA are taken into account.  Many consider LA to be the 'central social hub' of GW2, which would lead one to believe it's population would depend on the number of socialites currently online, rather than the overall number of online players.

All you can look at is what the login looks like for the servers - the majority say high or full.