Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the mmo genre needs to die to be reborn

hellsnothellsnot Member UncommonPosts: 49
where do i start with the dissapointements and blunders? when did hype become calculated marketing ploys and buying  reviews a common practice? i think i started to give up with warhammer and   champions online was the last straw............or did i lose hope with age of conan and walk away after star trek online???????????????????? aion? final fantasy??? rift?? fallen earth?? lotro?? all games that were under developed over hyped pieces of sh&% hyped too the max that could have been good .......but........what.....happened? oh ya they were developed for quick cash grabs not monthly subs i was playing eq2 .........have been since release but since they combined f2p and subs............thats over so what now? how many more dissapointements before people walk away from mmos so this farce can end?

Comments

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

The genre is dead, if someone had the nerve to release ; EQ or AC1 with a new skin , and a slightly more innovative quest approach , would at least have a couple of good games to play as it is the over-use of insta win features has made the genre bland.

A couple of companies are managing to deliver and even develop some things that may be trully astounding, but the jaded just try to shoot anything that may be new down (this site being a prime example. Why do I still bother coming here ? Lots of time on my hands and its pretty amusing reading most of the trash here;

But then sadly for the genre to revive to anything vaguely decent most of the player base would have to be forced to pass an IQ test, or show some common sense. And neither of these will happen.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Every single game you just listed is the exact same thing... All of those games are avatar-based, combat-centric games with no content. There's just nothing to do in those games other than run around killing mobs and jamming hotkeys without thinking. You should try a real mmo like EVE. At least until another real sandbox mmo comes out. Repopulation and ArcheAge could be good, but I've personally lost interest in those avatar based games. They are all the same.
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

It's easy to say the genre is dead....Wrong, but easy explinations usually are.

The MMO genre is not dead. It is the largest chunk of the largest form of world wide entertainment (gaming). Collectively it makes almost 400million a month off 46% of 47million users world wide. And this grows every year.

While many of us may be disparaged with the path it is taking, it is anything but dead.

• hellsnothellsnot Member UncommonPosts: 49
    im going to throw my computer out and download some ps1/2 classics on my console...........what do i need a desktop for the games i can download on this tablet have more content and depth than any mmo developed in the last 7 years
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    There should emo section of the forums...Just give in and go play Runescape already...We have cookies (actually no cookies -oddly enough-  but we do have a large assortement of baked confections if that's your thing).

• ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by AvsRock21
    Every single game you just listed is the exact same thing... All of those games are avatar-based, combat-centric games with no content. There's just nothing to do in those games other than run around killing mobs and jamming hotkeys without thinking. You should try a real mmo like EVE. At least until another real sandbox mmo comes out. Repopulation and ArcheAge could be good, but I've personally lost interest in those avatar based games. They are all the same.

Or a real MMO like Asheron's Call. If only they did a graphics update to today's standards. Even to par with LOTRO (Turbine did both LOTRO/AC1 and 2), it'd be fun to play again. Albeit the graphics being terrible, if AC1 had a huge population like when I played in the late 90s/early 2000s, I'd be back there in a heart beat. Where you didn't have all these insta win hotkeys. And where you could just chill in hub (or subway, as we called it on my server) and BS with people/trade stuff. I remember when I used to craft my own arrows/food in AC1 and felt self sufficient instead of buying a stack of arrows. AC1 was probably the first game, besides UO, where you didn't have to take ANY combat skills, you could have just did all crafting/misc skills.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Play other video game genres!

Dude imagine if you focused on one genre like Fighting games.

You would be this nit picky overly critical guy that stacks every game against the one classic game in the genre.

Imagine if every fighting game had to stack up against something like Third strike? or MVC2? 

It would be a miserable experience.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

another lemming............i play other genres........but i like mmorpgs and i did not compare any games .......but since u asked i will now.........f-3%+8 zork was more entertaining than the who paid off who to be on the top 10 bs list or what reviewer gets a nice christmas card to make a good review for piece of garbage games CLEARLY developed for a 2 month lifespan.............i'm done with the genre just doing what i can to open some eyes to the fools you are chasing games and feeding the fat cats that destroyed the genre

PS if you look too your left and dont know what character that is then you need to try other genres

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I love comedy posts, but I think the OP needs even more "?" and "." to make his posting style even more irritating than it is, though he's off to a pretty good start with the missing capital letters, the peculiar grammar and the lack of any other forms of punctuation. 

wow another grammer cop, you try typing on a tablet with 1inch wide finger tips...........you EVENTUAKLY JUST DONT CARE

dont worry somedday soon you will be in the employ of the government issueing fines.......erm.....i mean taxs for online grammer mistakes and the racial implications of religous descrimintation and the realtion to poor grammer to fund a trip to candyland where there is free healthcare and crappy mmo's for all

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by hellsnot
    when did hype become calculated marketing ploys and buying  reviews a common practice?

I think mass media advertising hype became common sometime around the 1920s.  I'm not sure when it came to the gaming industry, but I'm guessing early 1980s.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Helleri

The MMO genre is not dead. It is the largest chunk of the largest form of world wide entertainment (gaming). Collectively it makes almost 400million a month off 46% of 47million users world wide. And this grows every year.

While many of us may be disparaged with the path it is taking, it is anything but dead.

How dare you use facts in a rant thread?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Helleri

Yeah only because there is like a million average to bad mmos on the market. It should be quality > quantity but that is not what is happening now.

• KuuhnKuuhn Member Posts: 41

Threads like this are the reason the genre is in the state its in now. If you don't like the games, than dont play them. Go play the games you enjoy. Nothing will ever compare to your first few games because they were all new experiences. Why dont you stop comparing and start accepting.

To the people who love AC, why dont you just go back to AC? If it was really such a great game than you would. But the reason you dont is because its dated, has flaws, isnt as engaging, and has a lower player base than the games that are currently dominating the market. Its a wonder how a game could be thriving with players when the market was so small.. but yet now that there are other games out.. the people just disapeared? Like omg totally unbelievable. You dont seem to understand that you are the minority here. The MMO world doesnt revolve around people with your ideals. If it did, than im sure you wouldnt be here crying.

It cracks me up when people bash new titles as nothing but cash cows looking for money. Well no shit.. but the reason they are cash cows is because that is what the majority of the community wants to play. Why else would they be profitable games? Because the big companies chain you to a desk top and force you to play them? No. Because that is what the main player base requests.

Long story short.. if you want to go on and cry about how great UO and AC are/were then go play them. Theyre still there. If they were as great as you make them out to be, maybe you wouldnt need to complain.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    Originally posted by hellsnot
    where do i start with the dissapointements and blunders? when did hype become calculated marketing ploys and buying  reviews a common practice? i think i started to give up with warhammer and   champions online was the last straw............or did i lose hope with age of conan and walk away after star trek online???????????????????? aion? final fantasy??? rift?? fallen earth?? lotro?? all games that were under developed over hyped pieces of sh&% hyped too the max that could have been good .......but........what.....happened? oh ya they were developed for quick cash grabs not monthly subs i was playing eq2 .........have been since release but since they combined f2p and subs............thats over so what now? how many more dissapointements before people walk away from mmos so this farce can end?

Let's go a step beyond , why not shut down every release since ummm ... let's say ... 2006? Honestly no titles come to mind that were fun since 2006.  Along the way let's do the MMO genre a favoir and put SWgalaxies back in operation! Cash shops would be forbidden and against the law , all MMO's should be P2P with free yearly expansions (CCP EVE-Online). P2P via time codes should be made more available , example X MMO cost 10$ a month , but you're able to just play for half a month , you can get the 5$ time card , or a week end package for those who can only play on week ends , P2P is and the only way to go when it comes to good solid quality MMO , when a P2P title goes F2P , it means trouble , I do not get why people are happy and joyful when a P2P title goes F2P. Sure you get to play for free , but for how long before the game shuts down for good? The Devs have salaries to pay and all , if the cash shop cannot bring in more cash flow then when the game was P2P , the game will die off or will be left running for a few years with no patches and updates.   I should become President of the MMO world! Hehe :)

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Kuuhn

Threads like this are the reason the genre is in the state its in now. If you don't like the games, than dont play them. Go play the games you enjoy. Nothing will ever compare to your first few games because they were all new experiences. Why dont you stop comparing and start accepting.

To the people who love AC, why dont you just go back to AC? If it was really such a great game than you would. But the reason you dont is because its dated, has flaws, isnt as engaging, and has a lower player base than the games that are currently dominating the market. Its a wonder how a game could be thriving with players when the market was so small.. but yet now that there are other games out.. the people just disapeared? Like omg totally unbelievable. You dont seem to understand that you are the minority here. The MMO world doesnt revolve around people with your ideals. If it did, than im sure you wouldnt be here crying.

It cracks me up when people bash new titles as nothing but cash cows looking for money. Well no shit.. but the reason they are cash cows is because that is what the majority of the community wants to play. Why else would they be profitable games? Because the big companies chain you to a desk top and force you to play them? No. Because that is what the main player base requests.

Long story short.. if you want to go on and cry about how great UO and AC are/were then go play them. Theyre still there. If they were as great as you make them out to be, maybe you wouldnt need to complain.

I think the whole point behind the OP thread was frustration just put badly. I'll attempt to decipher if he means the way I myself feel about it.

For me, the frustration lies in a couple of spots. Companies brought people from other genres to the MMORPG genre...which is fine, as I am positive a vast majority of us here play multiple genres of games...however....

- MANY from other genres don't accept this one as it once was and want to change it to what's familiar to them. Namely console-like.

- Companies catered to them because...well... $$$$.

Seems EVERY new MMORPG coming out copies the one that started this change...I need not name it....effectively rendering what has seperated MMORPG'S from other genre's almost extinct. It's quite sad...because sure...I have a job, I have a kid (16 yr. old daughter *GULP!*), I do MMA and have other responsibilities same as many do...

But I am not in a hurry and enjoy the journey much more than the destination...which is what MMORPG'S are suppose to be about. One thing a lot have wrong on here is it being entirely the new age crowds fault. It is just as much some of the old schoolers as myself. Mainly because they have the responsibilities I do, but not the patience to get ahead in game and play them at a slower pace and with the little time they have to dedicate to it. To me...if you can't find the time, then why play them.

And I have to laugh at the final paragraph of this quoted post...as it's said a lot. Seriously....can you tell me you'd quit playing...say(Just as a easy comparison despite a different genre) PS3 games and go back to the Atari 2600 if there was 1 game you liked for it? Highly doubt it. Especially if the population was lacking (If they had massive multi-player capability)...even if still live. But makes you think...if games like UO, AC, & EQ1 weren't good...then why are their servers still alive and kicking some 15 years later in some of their cases? MOST MMORPG'S post 2006 don't last a year before shut down...and certaintly won't make it 15 years.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

MMORPG's have been dead a long time now. Not even sure which the last one was, maybe EVE. What we have now is nothing more than online rpg's. Theres nothing wrong with that at all. I dont fault people for liking it. you like apples, i like bannanas, no big deal. What I can not stand is people saying that an old school mmo cant work today. That is the utmost biggest pile of Bull Shit spewed out onto these forms. MMORPG's were always a niche group. It worked then and it damn sure can work now. I miss the days where if you got to cap within the 6 month mark you played way to damn much. Journey actually meant something, everytime you leveled up it was an accomplishment. I dont need to go on and on about this its been done a million time.

Which ever company has the balls to make a real MMORPG, they will have a great profit on their hands because people will play it for years. Right now it might possible be AA or EQ next. Few issues has me worried about AA least of which are the graphics or combat. Those things are not what makes an MMORPG.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Problem isn't the genre - it's you. Doesn't matter what games come out, you won't enjoy them as much as the ones you played when MMOs were all new to you.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i think with the recent success? of swtor,  tera,  tsw,  and gw2,  we will see aaa developers stop making these linear type games.  sooner or later investors are going to realize that copying a certain formula isn't working and give some creativity back to the game designers.  so there is hope for 2018.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    You're in luck then, because it's just about dead.

Yep.

Unfortunately the rebirth doesnt sound very likely :(

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Do you actually believe it would make any difference?

Lets pretend that all the MMO's (I mean all, not just the ones you don't like or just clones or whatever) stop making money and the genre dies.

Then some enterprising people say screw all the stats and decide to make one again.  And that one brings in some people and makes some money

Do you actually believe then that no one would then ever make a game that would bring in casuals, soloers, consolers, grandmas, kids...

Is that actually what you believe?

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Banquetto
    Problem isn't the genre - it's you. Doesn't matter what games come out, you won't enjoy them as much as the ones you played when MMOs were all new to you.

Complete and utter BS.

I know what I like in my MMO's. What they are offering today is a polar oppisite of what they were offering when I was enjoying my MMO's. They are 2 completly diffrent style of games now.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I know what I like as well.  I also know that 10 years ago I was more naive, more inexperienced, more excitable than I am today.  I don't think it is possible for me to be as excited about a game as I was 10 years ago.

I have changed, I have learned, I have grown.  I'm not the same.  No one is.

edit - and they are not the polar opposite.  Some games are different than some games back then.  WoW is not hte polar opposite of EQ.  Darkfall is not the polar opposite of UO.

Neither is the upcoming AA as far as we know.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • 207312207312 Member UncommonPosts: 35

The only games I see in the future that have any chance are arche-age and TESO...

Even then I don't have much hope for them so far.

• cagarcagar Member Posts: 98

It seems to me what is killing or has killed mmo's is the need for people to have instant gratification. People race to max level as fast as possible to get thru the end game content as soon as possible. Max level take longer to get then a month? To grindy now. 

* remember , the mmo your are playing is not mandatory to play for 4hrs A day everyday, then, and only then will the fun return. *

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift