Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everyone tells me how "different" this game is...

2»

Comments

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Im sorry but if your forced into the Cookie Cutter builds in order to be effective then you just suck at the game. not trying to be offencive here but thats just how it is. I don't use a cookie cutter build, i have 6/6 every nightmare up to HE, the only thing thats holding me back is that our main tank went to play storm legion when it came out and hasnt come back yet. you DON'T need it to be effective, to be in the top DPS with the other elitist pricks sure but you dont need those builds to run anything.

I've unlocked the whole ability wheel. Have done NMs by the first month. I'm still pigeon holed to the same 6-8 cookie cutter build to be competitive especially in PvP. Yeah, that's variety alright. Pve is easy in the game. I do give them credit for being a whole lot better than swtor in every aspect of the game. So swtor to me is still the worst garbage of a mmo than any out there.

I'm a min maxer. I've dissected that ability wheel inside and out. It's the same 6-8 builds. Or hell, just make a glance build. EZ mode.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Different in that its more of a singleplayer game than an MMO.

Because NO ONE solos in WoW, GW2, Rift, SWTOR, or EQ, or...  I could go on.  Let's see TSW has:

• Dungeons
    • Lairs
    • PvP
    • A raid
    • Difficult PVE that people can group on

Nah, no group content here.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    What I really don't get is why some people have to go out of their ways to say something is "crap" or "not as good as people say" even if they don't play it (and likely never played it). What are the psychological reasons to this kind of behaviour? Some sort of complex? I am really interested because I can't really fathom why. Maybe can't stand other people being happy? It really stands out as very sad
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Just started playing TSW with my other half and were really enjoying the setting and story pve. Actually reading the content and getting in the mood of the game. It makes me jump quite abit LOL.
  • tinywulftinywulf Member Posts: 106

Haters gonna hate.

Best game for original content lately.

And yes play this late at night in the dark alone and it can scare the crap out of you.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's different while "leveling"

Once you've done the story its pretty much wow endgame of sat in agartha waiting to go to an instance.

They are doing some interesting things for rpers though, I think its a good game for ex coh players or lotr players annoyed by the f2p changes to hang out.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Coxy one thing to do for fun.

If you stumble upon a named sword or bracelet or whatever in game, or some unusually named mob etc.. look it up on the internet, the research / backstory in the game is really good.

As an example the busses in London, they use a real London bus route, the serial number for them is a real type of bus too.

The game is full of cool little details like that.

I liked it a lot as an rpg, and would say its the second best recent rpg after skyrim. What I didn't like was once I was levelled as I'm not really into dungeon grinding.
  • UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281
    If you are looking for "different" you should be looking at Darkfall Unholy Wars.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Uzik
    If you are looking for "different" you should be looking at Darkfall Unholy Wars.

uhhh if youre into Lose all your gear full loot pvp that can happen pretty much anywhere.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

The build thing could have set this apart but it ended up just being fill up all the squares and call it a day.

Not to say that was the only thing unique about it. I liked the repeatable quests in terms of misguided point in the start. The theme and potential is there, it just need polish. It will survive and thrive.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Im sorry but if your forced into the Cookie Cutter builds in order to be effective then you just suck at the game. not trying to be offencive here but thats just how it is. I don't use a cookie cutter build, i have 6/6 every nightmare up to HE, the only thing thats holding me back is that our main tank went to play storm legion when it came out and hasnt come back yet. you DON'T need it to be effective, to be in the top DPS with the other elitist pricks sure but you dont need those builds to run anything.

I've unlocked the whole ability wheel. Have done NMs by the first month. I'm still pigeon holed to the same 6-8 cookie cutter build to be competitive especially in PvP. Yeah, that's variety alright. Pve is easy in the game. I do give them credit for being a whole lot better than swtor in every aspect of the game. So swtor to me is still the worst garbage of a mmo than any out there. I'm a min maxer. I've dissected that ability wheel inside and out. It's the same 6-8 builds. Or hell, just make a glance build. EZ mode.

LOL,this is what happens when you mix tequila with LSD

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I havent experience such difficult dungeons since heroic blood furnace and shattered halls. TSW dungeons arnt hard due to stupid mistakes they are geniunely hard.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Look at SWG it had those elements and could not draw a significant population.

Off the subject of the original post since my computer doesn't match TSW requirements but.....while SWG may not have been at the top of the pile, before WoW came along and blew the "curve" all out of whack, SWG fell in line with the population of other MMOs at the time....and no I'm not talking about whatever "million" copies may have been sold.  I'm talking about the "reported" number of subscribers.  And the thing about a game designed like SWG (in its pre-cu format) is, even if it didn't have a "significant" population, I ran into other players on a regular basis.  In many MMOs nowdays that are quest lined and leveled, I can run around all day and hardly see another player, especially when starting a new toon when the game has been around long enough for most players to be in the top leveled areas of the game.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Coxy one thing to do for fun.

If you stumble upon a named sword or bracelet or whatever in game, or some unusually named mob etc.. look it up on the internet, the research / backstory in the game is really good.

As an example the busses in London, they use a real London bus route, the serial number for them is a real type of bus too.

The game is full of cool little details like that.

I liked it a lot as an rpg, and would say its the second best recent rpg after skyrim. What I didn't like was once I was levelled as I'm not really into dungeon grinding.

Souns awsome shaky thanks for the heads up. 

i'm not really into dungeon grinding either so I'l take it as steady as I can to use the content up.

Originally posted by DSWBeef
    I havent experience such difficult dungeons since heroic blood furnace and shattered halls. TSW dungeons arnt hard due to stupid mistakes they are geniunely hard.

They really got the difficulty just about right with this game -- it's never a cakewalk or faceroll, especially starting with Savage Coast, and always just hard enough to be fun trying it again.  Been so many times when I've got a MOB down to like 5%, and then get offed.  Figuring out a new strategy that works is awesome.  Damn Ak'ab!

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

What's different about it for me is the setting and the style of the game.  It's still just a themepark though, and a huge waste of epic potential, in my opinion.  Had this game been designed more with a hybrid or sandbox approach, focused on community and freedom, it would have done much better, IMO.  Making it a themepark dungeon grinder was a huge mistake.

I miss it.  I really do.  I miss the whole setting of the game, and my awesome character who stands out from all the others.  It's a damned shame the rest of the game doesn't live up to the potential of the characters to be unique and long lasting.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

What's different about it for me is the setting and the style of the game.  It's still just a themepark though, and a huge waste of epic potential, in my opinion.  Had this game been designed more with a hybrid or sandbox approach, focused on community and freedom, it would have done much better, IMO.  Making it a themepark dungeon grinder was a huge mistake.

I miss it.  I really do.  I miss the whole setting of the game, and my awesome character who stands out from all the others.  It's a damned shame the rest of the game doesn't live up to the potential of the characters to be unique and long lasting.

Yeah, no getting around that it's a themepark.  The lead designer has stated a few things that me think they'll be taking the game a different direction -- maybe not full sandbox, but at least they are talking about horizontal progression and doing some different things in the endgame space.  The next issue introduces a huge new story arc:

"First of all, we are going to try something a little different with the mission content in Issue #5. Thus far, with every release we have been adding missions across the world, some on Solomon Island, some on Egypt and some on Transylvania. And while we will still have a couple of additional missions in Issue #5 we are also experimenting with a single, larger story arc which has several missions revolving around a new character.

These missions are about discovering the fate of Tyler Freeborn, a conspiracy theorist who was caught on Solomon Island during the incursion of the Fog, and who has now gone missing. Through this series of missions you will discover more about the nature of the filth and travel *into* the Fog for the first time.

We're really excited to try this longer type of story arc; it is one of the best perks of working on an MMO that you can experiment with new ways to do things and see how people respond to it almost immediately. This gives us an opportunity to create longer story sections, similar to what you find in the main story mission, and tell more of the story in a larger piece. Naturally story is one of the pillars upon which The Secret World rests and finding ways to drive that experience forward is one of our main goals."

Also check out some ideas for altneratives to raiding on the forums:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=59715&highlight=exploration

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    The setting is the most "different" thing from this game. It's still themepark mmo 101. Actually I find it plays better as a single player game(story playthrough) rather than a full fledged mmo.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Ortwig

Yeah, no getting around that it's a themepark.  The lead designer has stated a few things that me think they'll be taking the game a different direction -- maybe not full sandbox, but at least they are talking about horizontal progression and doing some different things in the endgame space.  The next issue introduces a huge new story arc:

"First of all, we are going to try something a little different with the mission content in Issue #5. Thus far, with every release we have been adding missions across the world, some on Solomon Island, some on Egypt and some on Transylvania. And while we will still have a couple of additional missions in Issue #5 we are also experimenting with a single, larger story arc which has several missions revolving around a new character.

These missions are about discovering the fate of Tyler Freeborn, a conspiracy theorist who was caught on Solomon Island during the incursion of the Fog, and who has now gone missing. Through this series of missions you will discover more about the nature of the filth and travel *into* the Fog for the first time.

We're really excited to try this longer type of story arc; it is one of the best perks of working on an MMO that you can experiment with new ways to do things and see how people respond to it almost immediately. This gives us an opportunity to create longer story sections, similar to what you find in the main story mission, and tell more of the story in a larger piece. Naturally story is one of the pillars upon which The Secret World rests and finding ways to drive that experience forward is one of our main goals."

See, in my mind this is cool and all, but they are still just playing the content chase game.  Rather than build systems into the game that will provide emergent gameplay, they are going to try to keep adding enough contrived story content to keep it interesting.  The problem is, it won't work very well.  Other companies have tried the same thing, and in the end they seem to realize that this is a no-win situation where the gamers always outpace the content, and the content is too expensive to make with any frequency.

Introducing systems rather than more story would give me some faith.  The theater is an example of a system which provides an endless amount of player driven content, but in my opinion they should have concentrated elsewhere first.  The theater is a great idea, but there are a lot of other places where gameplay systems would help the game more.

I want to make my own story in this world, not keep following someone elses.    Still it's their game, and they can do what they feel is right.  Whether or not it works for them over the longer haul remains to be seen.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

See, in my mind this is cool and all, but they are still just playing the content chase game.  Rather than build systems into the game that will provide emergent gameplay, they are going to try to keep adding enough contrived story content to keep it interesting.  The problem is, it won't work very well.  Other companies have tried the same thing, and in the end they seem to realize that this is a no-win situation where the gamers always outpace the content, and the content is too expensive to make with any frequency.

Introducing systems rather than more story would give me some faith.  The theater is an example of a system which provides an endless amount of player driven content, but in my opinion they should have concentrated elsewhere first.  The theater is a great idea, but there are a lot of other places where gameplay systems would help the game more.

I want to make my own story in this world, not keep following someone elses.    Still it's their game, and they can do what they feel is right.  Whether or not it works for them over the longer haul remains to be seen.

I'm with you on wanting more emergent content.  It's one of thoe decisions I think a company has to make early on -- Neverwinter and EQNext and ArcheAge (maybe TESO?) all seem to be planning for this at the outset. and I'm looking forward to those games.  I always thought a mix of dev and player created content would be the ideal situation. 

I know they've spoken a bit about emergent contnet in some interviews, but this all dependent on the support for it in the budget and at the top, and not sure TSW can do a lot more than incremental adds like the Albion Theater.  Even so they're doing more for RP systems than most games do.  

I do like the story and atmosphere enough for TSW that I'll continue playing, even if to play out the storylines in the game -- the characters and investigations and dungeons and ability wheel are all so well done, it will keep my interest.  If we get emergent content, even better.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

This is not a game where you make your own story and I do not think it will ever be, it is a story driven game.  Xyson is the game for you

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Well with funcom revamping AoCs crafting we may see some revamps and additions of feature if its successful. I hope it is.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation