Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: Making it Feel Like TES

13»

Comments

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by yevoc42

TES stands out from other games with its twitchy first person combat system coupled with massive exploration. 

Seeing a bear sprint at you gets your blood pumping because you know your reflexes in the next 200 milliseconds will save or doom you.  (Same goes for stealth)

Based on what we've seen of TES Online, this kind of immersion/gameplay simply will not exist, and I will refuse to call it a TES game.

Why they went for massively multiplayer instead of smaller multiplayer on a twitch-based game series is beyond me.

Those 2 things are 2 of the main selling points ZOS have been pumping out, the combat system is the combat system from oblivion (you aim with the mouse, right click to attack, hold right to power attack, left click blocks and hold left and hit right to interupt) but with a 5 slot hotbar added to make up for the fact you cant pause to equip spells and the questing system is exploration based rather than just quest hub after quest hub.

So combat is twitch based and the game does reward exploration, I can understand you being worried as they have only shown 3rd person combat so far, but they have confirmed you will be able to play in first person too

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    I'm quietly hopeful about this game even though after ToR ( and a few others ) I'm wary of hype .
  • TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113

My only real concern is that there are varying levels of story...

Basic - Kill, collection, travel, and fedex quests

Medium - localized storylines which have a small beginning, perhaps even a means of putting a party together -if a party is not already together- that is significant enough to perform all of the requirements of the quest.

Large - regional storylines which may or may not affect the world on the whole, starting with a relatively humble beginning and working its way up to a full-blown "save the kingdom" or "...region" story arc.  Something for which characters and/or groups may be recognized outside the kingdom or region saved.

Huge - world-affecting storylines which have thousands of tasks/objectives amongst a dozen or more groups and/or up to hundreds of individuals, which all converge to a central story point with a raid and/or final boss which changes the lives of player-characters.

Look, The Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3 are the only c-RPGs I've ever played that actually 'feel' like tabletop role-playing, that give me the sense I'm in that world and making a difference.  I would love to see the same for ESO.

Oh, and monsters... monsters should be restricted to a certain area, but that area should not necessarily be a small one, and they should be able to path wherever they want within that area.  For example, if there's a boss, they aren't just going to stay in one room, they're going to move around, check on their minions, get something to eat, such as one of their minions, do evil things, such as minion bowling with some of the local goodies in-town.  However, it should be a surprise when a player or group happens on one of these guys, not that you have to take a particular path in a particular dungeon to get to a particular room to destroy a particular boss.  I've always found that to be ridiculous and, if there's anyone who could change that behavior, it's the guys who've built my favorite c-RPGs.

I think that's it... for now.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

And how can it be made to FEEL like TES if the combat and magic is NOTHING like TES...

The only thing the CAN do is make it LOOK like TES and I still have not read anything that tells me this is not just a quick money grab on a game that wasnt good enough to stand on its own, so they needed a name in order to get more money out of it.

So far this is just DAoC 2, but since its been such a long time, nobody cared, quick, change the title and make adustments to the setting and a few name changes in the story!

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by rdrakken

And how can it be made to FEEL like TES if the combat and magic is NOTHING like TES...

The only thing the CAN do is make it LOOK like TES and I still have not read anything that tells me this is not just a quick money grab on a game that wasnt good enough to stand on its own, so they needed a name in order to get more money out of it.

So far this is just DAoC 2, but since its been such a long time, nobody cared, quick, change the title and make adustments to the setting and a few name changes in the story!

except they didnt start making the game til already had the Elder Scrolls name on it.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Great write up!  But you forgot the most important thing to bring the TES fans pouring in..  First Person View Combat!!!

What?? Are you crazy? The worst possible is to play in 1st person, especially for mmo. The already lost me if this will be only mode to play, must check later some gameplay videos.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Great write up!  But you forgot the most important thing to bring the TES fans pouring in..  First Person View Combat!!!

What?? Are you crazy? The worst possible is to play in 1st person, especially for mmo. The already lost me if this will be only mode to play, must check later some gameplay videos.

Reading sure is hard, isn't it?

@game: Meh... not really interested, don't exactly know why.

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

I usually play my TES games (and FO3) in 3rd person except if I try to snipe something.

300+ hours... ask everyone who has 300+ hours in a savegame of MW, Oblivion, Fallout and so on about the amount of mode he/she uses, whats the favourites are and you might have a general idea of a few problem TESO might need to master if the 300+ hours in Singleplayer TES games is the audience they are after.

There might be some without any mod at all regardless how small with that many hours in a single character, but my gut feeling tells me that these are a very, very small minority.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    First Person combat is confirmed for TESO along with over the shoulder view.

Oh thank god that over the shoulder view will be available.  I absolutely hate the clunkyness and limited field of view that first person provided in all of the Elder Scroll Games.  Couldnt stand Darkfall for the reason that the over the shoulder view sucked.

Over the shoulder is fine for out of combat, but in SKyrim once you go into combat stance the camera goes over the head.

For me it would be a near deal breaker if the camera remained over the shoulder, its not as immersive and the camera rotating over the head once combat starts.

When they change their stance on this?  Last I heard that first person would not be a feature and only over the shoulder view.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I always play tes (and fallout3) in first person, as skyrim apart the player character animations are just bad in third person. Also its more immersive.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Yes, I am looking forward to this game because I am a TES fan.

I hope ESO doesn't get hyped but instead sneaks in under the radar and grabs game of the year.

• VadenVaden Member UncommonPosts: 145

Does anyone know if they'll keep the Skyrim additives and general TES features like the KillCam (3rd & 1st person) Krafting, Haunting & Gathering, PlayerHousing, Companions? Or is it pure grind/hack&slash

It'd be a let down if it missed any of those, some of which are pretty standard even for an MMO

Games I've Played: SilkRoad, Flyff, NeoCron, PlanetSide, Rapplez, UpshiftRacer, Drift City, TB, Kwonho, ArchLord, AoA, Exteel, WolfTeam, Shaiyan, WoKF, FFXIV, STO, KoTR, ESO, Defiance, Mabinogi

Games I'm Playing: Warframe/STO

Games I'm Pondering: The Secret World

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Vaden

Does anyone know if they'll keep the Skyrim additives and general TES features like the KillCam (3rd & 1st person) Krafting, Haunting & Gathering, PlayerHousing, Companions? Or is it pure grind/hack&slash

It'd be a let down if it missed any of those, some of which are pretty standard even for an MMO

killcam's have been confirmed.  as well as crafting (which i assume includes hunting and gathering).  they've said housing after launch.  no word on companions (i could do without them myself) .

• Zero_G_RavenZero_G_Raven Member Posts: 1

So, it has everything an Elder Scrolls game should have, plus online, except its missing just one thing....THE IMPERIAL RACE AS A PLAYABLE RACE!

They could at least make The Empire faction DLC!!! And before anyone gets on my ass about why the Imperial race isn't playable and blah blah blah storyline, a thousand years ago, I already read up on main storyline, so I know that The Empire is one of the main antagonists. But still, that was the ONLY race they left out and its BS!

Imperial Race - Make it DLC! Make it DLC! Make it DLC! Make it DLC! Make it DLC!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by muffins89

killcam's have been confirmed. 

really?

How the heck are the going to pull that off in a multiplayer game? Will one person experience the game in "slow mo" while everyone else thinks larry is lagging badly?

Or do you think it will be used in solo bits?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BanurtimeBanurtime Member Posts: 1
    Lootable cabbages, buckets, and brooms.  :-)
  • jmon2jmon2 Member Posts: 2

i know this blog is old, but i have been trying to do a lot of research on TESO. Also I am going to be pouring my heart out here so please bear with me if you take the time to read this post. 

I am a bit skeptical about TESO though because I, like all of you love The Elder Scrolls, my favorite being TES IV: Oblivion. Oblivion is my favorite game of all time no doubt. What I loved is just starting up my game then just roaming out off the path and exploring the enviroment of cyrodill. While roaming I would happen upon an Ayleid ruin or a cave and going inside. That was "THE BEST JERRY, THE BEST." (seinfeld quote)  I decided a couple days ago that I might get this game a long with an xbox 1, judge me if you will. But the idea of visiting an updated version of Cyrodill just blows my mind and makes me happier than ever!! Getting to go to an updated version of Leyawiin, the Imperial city, and maybe a rebuilt kavatch! will be f***ing mind melting for me. Even if they include a small place like Hackdirt, that would be amazing!

A quote about Cyrodill.... "Renowned for it beautiful forests, lush grass and wildlife, It is the centre of Tamriel, as the saying goes: "like the diamond in the centre of the amulet" 

So I learned that Cyrodill is going to be the subject of much warfare and occupation of Molag Bal in TESO. This sort of upsets me because I fear that having all that within Cyrodill will take away its beauty and grandure and all the towns and such that I love.  I don't want to walk into Anvil or Cheydinhal and see broken roofs, charred houses and such because that would take everything away that I grew up and loved for so many years.  

I'm sure that people agree with me and maybe not agree, or may think this post of mine is pointless, but I wanted to get my voice out there somehow and somewhere and get other people's opinions and thoughts. I am just a worried TES fan. So please reply if you want if people still look at this post

Actually the video posted at the top I think is a screenshot of Hackdirt!?

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

No matter how much they make the world feel like TES, other players will ensure that it doesn't feel like TES with generally poor and immature behavior.

Despite being  a huge TES fan, my advice is to tone down the TES hype (because you are just going to end up disappointing a lot of people) and just concentrate on making a great MMORPG.  Hell they have already made compromises to the TES formula in favor of PvP.  I honestly don't see the game being able to offer me what a TES game offers me, immersion and freedom, because of the very nature of the game they are creating.   When I want to play a TES game I will play solo, when I want to play with other people I will play a great MMO, better to be a great MMO than a poor TES game IMHO.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by gravesworn I dont see how they could make an Elderscroll game where you cant go to other factions areas. Going to explore in hostile and unknown territory is what the games are all about in terms of exploration. I am a little sad if my orc cant go to summerset isles or morrowwind
    What if you made that Orc in the Skyrim single player RPG?  I don't see anyone complaining they cant visit those locales there.  Just because the whole of the continent is open doesnt necessarily mean your one character gets to play in it.

Until the day Bethesday releases a single player RPG that encompasses all of Tamriel, this argument remains moot!

What a silly comparison, You cant visit content that isnt there.

If you could not access content already within Skyrim, Say Winterhold simply because your a race thats not allowed in there, The tears would fall.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by jbombard

No matter how much they make the world feel like TES, other players will ensure that it doesn't feel like TES with generally poor and immature behavior.

Despite being  a huge TES fan, my advice is to tone down the TES hype (because you are just going to end up disappointing a lot of people) and just concentrate on making a great MMORPG.  Hell they have already made compromises to the TES formula in favor of PvP.  I honestly don't see the game being able to offer me what a TES game offers me, immersion and freedom, because of the very nature of the game they are creating.   When I want to play a TES game I will play solo, when I want to play with other people I will play a great MMO, better to be a great MMO than a poor TES game IMHO.

For the most part I agree. But once players get spread out into the 5 main zones of each faction, there won't be a ton of players everywhere. So you will be able to roam, explore and find things off the beaten path in each zone. Then once you move on to the 50+ and 50++ content, you will be completely free. All content in all the zones will be close to the same level. So you can do whatever you want, in any order you want, just play more like a SPG with friends in the other two factions areas.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore