Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Darkfall Unholy Wars: User Interface Presentation

Comments

• raapnaapraapnaap LeidenPosts: 397Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    Originally posted by bingo69
    Hmmm did they remove the  UO style of looting?

looks like they going cookie cutter and mainstream now and dont care about the initial vision anymore. Just steal impressions with some shallow changes and nothing of substance behind it...

yep looting was used to be  a tactical element , i guees now you can press "loot all"...

If you played the original Darkfall you will know people already used loot scripts for the same perpose. Most were just made using AutoHotkey and became an accepted form of looting in the player community, for the most part. When you played the game for over three years, manually looting each item becomes a pain. You can easily balance it by looting more fairly in PvP fights, and most clans had rules regarding looting (no "bag looting" an entire gear set off a grave).

That said, we don't know what the UW loot mechanic is. If it is manual, people will simply use scripts again, unless Aventurine bans the use of AutoHotkey and other keybind programs.

ANYWAY! GUI looks amazing, feat/achievement system was unexpected but a GREAT addition to replace quests for new players. And I like the 'hidden' information in the video a lot, such as the dodge roll, crafting skill names (engineering, wut!), and so on. Can't wait to play darkfall again.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Parma, OHPosts: 2,404Member
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by Kaminaxius

looks like they going cookie cutter and mainstream now and dont care about the initial vision anymore. Just steal impressions with some shallow changes and nothing of substance behind it...

yep looting was used to be  a tactical element , i guees now you can press "loot all"...

yeah cause dragging items from one box to the other involved hardcore tactical knowledge and skill..rofl

Obviously you do not understand why looting was setup the way it was in DF. It made it so you were vulnerable if you wanted to loot everything from a killed NPC or player. When you saw another player standing over a corpse/tombstone looking down, unless you came at them head on, all that would give you away was the sound that you made during your approach. 

It added more risk and more excitement. It worked very well and it would be shame if it was removed from DF:UW.

I honestly don't see much of a tactical or strategic advantage here.  When you compare the tactical part and the annoyance part, the annoyance part is far more troubling in my opinion.  I played Ultima Online and Darkfall, and it is a dated inventory system that is more annoying to deal with than anything else.  If anything, it reduces the need for scripts, which I believe was a main goal when looking at the GUI and how their systems operated.  

Don't fool yourself.  Scripts was a very large contributor to the newbies to veteran gap that was created.  In fact, it is nearly exclusively the reason.  Sure, AV not enforcing rules to stop macro'ers and scriptors didn't help.  The bugs and exploits not being fixed fast enough didn't help.  All the same, reducing the need or ability to cheat the system is a step forward in my book.  People are people, they will get whatever advantage that they can, even if they know it is wrong.

I don't see much cookie cutter or mainstream changes.  I see a few ideas to bridge the gap to the hardcore nature of Darkfall.  This almost always happens though, these conversations, it attracts the extremes in fans.  Some fans believe that anything deviating from the hardest of hardcore is complete carebear, and therefor trash.  Others believe the opposite.  I believe that Aventurine should have done this a long time ago.  They are now finally realizing that the only way to really succeed in this market is the soften up the learning curve, create a more user friendly combat system, and figure out a way to even the playing field a little bit.  

I don't see anything shallow about the reasoning behind the changes.  It takes some big balls to admit your failures.  And let's not gloss over that fact, they have been failures.  Under 10,000 active concurrent players in a MMO does not equal success.  I don't care how much money was spent on it or if it is targetting a niche market.

I don't think any of us could even begin to imagine the amount of time spent on making these decisions.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 San Francisco, CAPosts: 227Member
    Now that looks like a UI my 2560x1440 screen can appreciate. 
  • corpusccorpusc Chattanooga, TNPosts: 1,330Member

because there's SO much "depth" to repetitive drag & drop fests

The End
    ---------------------------
    i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

• KshahdooKshahdoo MoscowPosts: 553Member

Originally posted by DarthRaiden Originally posted by bingo69 Hmmm did they remove the  UO style of looting?
    looks like they going cookie cutter and mainstream now and dont care about the initial vision anymore. Just steal impressions with some shallow changes and nothing of substance behind it... yep looting was used to be  a tactical element , i guees now you can press "loot all"...
    yeah cause dragging items from one box to the other involved hardcore tactical knowledge and skill..rofl

Try to loot someone in combat - and you are as good as dead. But there always are some greedy idiots, so yes, it's about tactics.

• BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    They are doing it right this time around, can't wait to try.

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,966Member Uncommon
    The new UI does look pretty crisp and clean and a big reason why I'm going to give DF:UW a try this time around.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper LondonPosts: 2,751Member
    Looks very promising.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• HancakesHancakes flint, MIPosts: 1,045Member
    Originally posted by Kshahdoo

Originally posted by bingo69 Hmmm did they remove the  UO style of looting?
    looks like they going cookie cutter and mainstream now and dont care about the initial vision anymore. Just steal impressions with some shallow changes and nothing of substance behind it... yep looting was used to be  a tactical element , i guees now you can press "loot all"...

Try to loot someone in combat - and you are as good as dead. But there always are some greedy idiots, so yes, it's about tactics.

And how is that a tactic? imageI guess pulling my pants down before going to the bathroom would also be a tactic?   Looting during combat in any MMO (pve/PvP) is a no-no regardless of the system used.

Anyway, DFs system added nothing and only really impacted the noobs/bads.  If a system can be exploited to get an edge, it will be. 

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden gdfgfPosts: 4,333Member

Under which rock crowl suddenly so much Edie Zitrons ?  Darkfall had and still has with UW other problems then changing something that was working and almost epic, the drag and drop inventory...

Dunno if you all are aware then now with this inventrory you can see only a partial potion of your bag (limited to 14 items if i am not mistaken)..chew on that ...

About  looting in combat being a no no, the drag and drop helped to expose those who did it. More important i had the freedom to organize my backpacks how i liked them ...no freedom now ..like with everything else less and less and less sand in the box...

i cant believe AV gave in to Zitron working on things irrelevant to gameplay features like graphics, animations and backpacks...

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• RaxeonRaxeon cedar falls, IAPosts: 2,087Member Uncommon

Under which rock crowl suddenly so much Edie Zitrons ?  Darkfall had and still has with UW other problems then changing something that was working and almost epic, the drag and drop inventory...

Dunno if you all are aware then now with this inventrory you can see only a partial potion of your bag (limited to 14 items if i am not mistaken)..chew on that ...

About  looting in combat being a no no, the drag and drop helped to expose those who did it. More important i had the freedom to organize my backpacks how i liked them ...no freedom now ..like with everything else less and less and less sand in the box...

i cant believe AV gave in to Zitron working on things irrelevant to gameplay features like graphics, animations and backpacks...

do you want a game with population or do you want a dead game ala darkfall? alot of people dont like that older type of system BUt i didnt mind it  plus we dont know nothing about it yet drag and drop can still be in

• Aragon100Aragon100 OsloPosts: 2,224Member Uncommon
    Looking good.
  • CocophishCocophish ShetlandPosts: 10Member
    I loved the UO drag drop style inventory system. I'm sorry to see it go. It had it's issues but added a tactile element that did apeal to a fair amount of players. I'm not so much of a fan boi that I can't see the advantage of the change and not give it a chance before raging.
  • MykellMykell MackayPosts: 618Member Uncommon
    At 2:17 in the video you can see an option to "Purchase Boosters" in the bottom left hand part of the UI. There seems to be four (4) stages to these booster. Is this some form of micro transaction or is that an in game gold price?
    Originally posted by Mykell
    At 2:17 in the video you can see an option to "Purchase Boosters" in the bottom left hand part of the UI. There seems to be four (4) stages to these booster. Is this some form of micro transaction or is that an in game gold price?

AV hasn't ruled out cash shops. :(

• LacidiousLacidious Cleveland, OHPosts: 30Member
    There is not a cash shop currently implemented  nor will there be one near term.
    Originally posted by Lacidious
    There is not a cash shop currently implemented  nor will there be one near term.

Thus... AV hasnt ruled out a cash shop. image

• LacidiousLacidious Cleveland, OHPosts: 30Member
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    Originally posted by Lacidious

Thus... AV hasnt ruled out a cash shop. image

A little tightly wound, aren't ya?  Relax man, it's a game, not real life.  Go out and get some fresh air.

They are making a f2p version for the Asian market. It makes scence that the background work for a cash shop would be build in. It dosn't mean the EU or NA servers will follow that model anytime soon.
    Originally posted by Cocophish
    They are making a f2p version for the Asian market. It makes scence that the background work for a cash shop would be build in. It dosn't mean the EU or NA servers will follow that model anytime soon.

Agreed, but "soon" could be next month or next year.

• ArezonArezon Posts: 278Member Uncommon
    I loved the UO drag drop style inventory system. I'm sorry to see it go. It had it's issues but added a tactile element that did apeal to a fair amount of players. I'm not so much of a fan boi that I can't see the advantage of the change and not give it a chance before raging.

I also loved the drag/drop style of looting. Sad to see it go. At least that's what it looks like from the video.

Something that gives DF a good population should be considered. If only so more people try it and learn that full loot pvp is bloody amazing!. Too many people simply will not try it with a sub and full loot.  We have to do something that stems the tide of fail mmos like all the other companies are spewing out.

• CecropiaCecropia The Great White North, ONPosts: 3,471Member Uncommon

Hopefully it's never. If they go with a cash shop, I go bye bye. I don't care how great an mmo is, if my sub fee isn't enough to access all content, my money goes into someone else's pocket.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Is it me or does UW look like its tailored for a Console?

"With the Darkfall's sequel launch later this year, Aventurine will have the opportunity to become a successful franchise. The Company also develops casual games for online and mobile use and is in the process of designing a cross-platform (online, console, mobile) social game code-named AV-1.0."

• xpiherxpiher Indianapolis, INPosts: 3,311Member
    Originally posted by Mykell

Boosters are the stat titles from DFO and are purchased with player points. Its not microtransactions. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher