Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weapon Models or rather, the lack of them.....

CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Has anyone noticed the lack of weapon models in this game?  Really, its almost as bad  with the armor too.  Yet especially with weapons there seems to be an amazing lack of different models.  

I have three toons right now at various levels.  My highest toon is a level 73 thief.  In all that time I think I've probably equipped the same model of dagger at least 120 times.  There have been three other models of daggers I have equipped.  IN MY ENTIRE TIME PLAYING.  Its not just daggers, its all weapons as far as I can tell.  Swords, shortbows, pistols, rifles.  They all tend to look the same.  Often quality such as fine, masterwork, or even rares really doesn't matter.  You can more than easily get a rare level 65 dagger that looks exactly the same as the fine dagger you were using at level 8 .  

When I look on the tradehouse, regardless of weapon quality I see maybe weapon model A, B, C, D.  Except it looks like this:

A A A A A A B A A A C A A A A A D A A A B A A A B A A A A A

This doesn't seem to matter the levels necessarily.  Or the quality.  Higher quality weapons tend to vary certainly more than the lower quality weapons such as fine weapons, but its still a problem even then.  What I would expect it to look like might be...

A A B A D C D E F A B B D G D

Yet it is nothing like that.  In WoW back in the day (not that I care anything for WoW), I would actually get surprised if I got a weapon that looked to be the same model of a weapon I had before.  It happened.  It was just kind of rare, and incredibly rare in comparison to GW2. 

In GW2 its ALL through the game.  Whats worse is I might see a different model that looks really neat.  Like a crossbow for instance.  But I dont like the stats.  The alternative is model A again.  Not to mention these common models are pretty unimaginitave.  What is irking me is I know Anet has put at least a decent amount of weapon models in the game.  They just haven't spread them out at all.  To the extent I've seen blue fine weapons before being sold as extravagant prices only because it looks different.  Its not that the weapon is great or anything, its just that it looks different than the 20 or so weapons there that look identical to each other. 

Again as a thief I have probably equipped the regular boring old model A dagger at least 120 times being I duel weild them.  I got a steam dagger twice so we'll call that model B.  And I got a model C once.  And a model D once.  So in my entire time leveling to 73 I have used three other models of dagger only for a short time, while the rest of the time running with the EXACT same looking daggers I was using when I started.  Its baffling to me. 

So either Im doing something wrong, although I know I'm not alone, because my best friend who is 80 has complained of the same thing, or Anet needs to seriously spread out the weapon models instead of having the exact same looking weapons throughout the game.  I'm not even asking for great variety.  I'm just asking for more than next to none. 

Otherwise I freaking love GW2.  I really do.  But this is a weird thing about this game that I just can't ignore despite liking it as much as I do and I have never really seen anything like this in any other mmo Ive tried. 

Comments

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

You get an item everytime you finish a zone that you can use to keep the art style of any dagger you want.

So, I don't see your problem.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Seems normal to me.  They do seem to save the cool models for the higher level and rare weapons.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Whats worse is I might see a different model that looks really neat.  Like a crossbow for instance.  But I dont like the stats.  The alternative is model A again.

100% a map, transmutation stone.

Other than that, different Map Regions (Maguuma Jungle, Shiverpeak Mountains, Ascalon) seem to drop a certain look. More people play humans, so more of the items in the TP are probably of the human (Kryta) drop set. I'm pretty sure there is a basic look that covers all zones as well. This basic look is dropped the most. The unique looks come from <3s, story quests, dungeon sets, three orders, karma armor, and mystic forge.

• tinywulftinywulf Member Posts: 106

The old way of doing things was the better looking weapons had better stats, so not only were you getting stats but kind of a status symbol of how you looked which made you stand out.

Unfortunately that seems to have been abandoned in games.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by paulytheb

You get an item everytime you finish a zone that you can use to keep the art style of any dagger you want.

So, I don't see your problem.

What are you talking about?  Of course you do.  Half the time they are unorigional looking too.  They look just like everything else, and on the occasion they do look different are you suggesting I use transmutation stones every 6 levels when I change out my weapons so that I can keep my weapons not looking like the same thing I got at level 6???  

If you don't see the problem I'm happy for you.  But there are the same exact model of sceptors, daggers, crossbows, swords, hammers, maces, pistols, rifles, whatever, coming at your face all the way to 80.  They look like the same weapons you got at level 5. 

If you are saying use transmutation stones constantly maybe that's Anets plan.  And why there are hardly any variety in models.  They want you to pay money just so you don't have to use the same weapon models throughout the game. 

Regardless, I've never seen this in an mmorpg before. 

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Paul, I think that needs better explaining.

One of the biggest problems anyone will have with gw2 is the new learning curve away from being familiar to WoW ones. Also when figuring things out and actually needing a guide since things are not intuitive enough to guess easily on how certain things work in gw2.

Also it's a game with a cash shop. I'm guessing the cash shop when used allows for more customization.

I don't know much about gw2, but I'm interested to know about their customization since when i tried it out I had the same feeling.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I think I went through maybe 3-4 different styles for my Warrior all the way to 80 (last 3 happened post 40).

For my Ele, I've had about 2 or 3 now (65 atm).

Different styles seems like you have to use a transmutation stone or go out of your way to get them.   I didn't do WvWvWvW or sPVP so maybe they are all there. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Has anyone noticed the lack of weapon models in this game?  Really, its almost as bad  with the armor too.  Yet especially with weapons there seems to be an amazing lack of different models.  

**SNIP for length***

Otherwise I freaking love GW2.  I really do.  But this is a weird thing about this game that I just can't ignore despite liking it as much as I do and I have never really seen anything like this in any other mmo Ive tried. 

This is one complaint I've had w/ the game since launch. One that I hope they work on sooner rather than later.

There actually are more weapon skins than armor skins, but the majority of them are tied to the mystic forge (i.e. you never see the majority of them). It's kind of a shame.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    To get nicer looking weapons (i.e. exotics and legendaries) you'll have to work harder then just regular leveling. There's dungeon weapons, rare exotics, karma weapons, cultural weapons... The nicer the skin the more expensive the weapon.
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    Paul, I think that needs better explaining. One of the biggest problems anyone will have with gw2 is the new learning curve away from being familiar to WoW ones. Also when figuring things out and actually needing a guide since things are not intuitive enough to guess easily on how certain things work in gw2. Also it's a game with a cash shop. I'm guessing the cash shop when used allows for more customization. I don't know much about gw2, but I'm interested to know about their customization since when i tried it out I had the same feeling.

Everytime you complete a zone 100% in GW2 you get 3 transformation stones. That is, your home city, the other 4 home cities, Lions Arch and all 5 starter zones for example all reward transformation stones and so on throughout the game. There are stones that work only on lvl 1-79 gear and stones that work only on lvl 80 gear.

So if you explore 100% your 1-15 zone and your home city and Lions Arch you would get 9 transformation stones. If you did all 5 cities and all 5 starter zones and lions arch you would get 33 transformation stones.

Each stone allows you to keep the "look" of any weapon you find and want to keep. You merge your good looking weapon with a weapon you don't care for with superior stats, (Or armor), and you end up with an upgraded version of your "good looking" weapon.

So even if you use this method every 5 levels on 2 weapons you would need a max of 32 transformation stones. Since the game gives you more than that for FREE, I don't really see a problem.

Yes, the game has a lot of plain gear that repeats through the game, but once you find something fancier, you do not need to put up with the plain look any longer. Thus, I don't really see a problem.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    Paul, I think that needs better explaining. One of the biggest problems anyone will have with gw2 is the new learning curve away from being familiar to WoW ones. Also when figuring things out and actually needing a guide since things are not intuitive enough to guess easily on how certain things work in gw2. Also it's a game with a cash shop. I'm guessing the cash shop when used allows for more customization. I don't know much about gw2, but I'm interested to know about their customization since when i tried it out I had the same feeling.

Actually not much in the cash shop in terms of skins - only a few armor skins (1 ligh, 1 medium, 1 heavy) and costumes that you shouldn't fight with.

The skins are just spread around the game and some, like the dungeon token based ones, are soulbound on acquire, so you wont see them in the TP.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    To get nicer looking weapons (i.e. exotics and legendaries) you'll have to work harder then just regular leveling. There's dungeon weapons, rare exotics, karma weapons, cultural weapons... The nicer the skin the more expensive the weapon.

Thats no different than any other mmorpg in existence.  Oh....and they still have a great deal of weapon model variety regardless. 

The idea that transmutation stones exist so that you can keep the look of a weapon or piece of armor you liked is fine.  That's just fine.  The lack of variety in the models of weapons and armor to choose from is not fine. 

Regardless of transmutation stones or not, the game still has a very serious lack of weapon model variety.  I would almost complain about armor too, except it has JUST the amount of variety I can appreciate.  Its not much, but its okay.  Its fine for the most part the way it is.  Except even then, its bare but I think its alleviated by the use of coloring your armor the way you want to, and that can change up a look drastically at least. 

However the level of weapon variety is still atrocious.  Transmutation stones or not.  Its nice there is an option for that.  Yet even THEN the options are still very few.  And yes, if exotics looked the exact same as everything else then I'd REALLY complain.  Because at that point the variation in weapon models would be literally non existent.  That's how bad it is. 

The game literally teeters on having no weapon model variety at all.  Instead it just has very, very little.  Transmutation stones would work wonderfully in a game that had a lot, a little, or a moderate amount, so the fact there are transmutation stones here really doesn't alleviate the factor that there is hardly any weapon model variety. 

Sorry,I just don't think you are looking hard enough.

You already stated that you equipped 4 different style daggers before level 80 and even got to the exotics and legendaries.

There are different style weapons available from the dungeons, and also from the heart vendors out in the world not just what drops off mobs or is easy to find in the auction.

I just think that you are whining a little bit about nothing too important and maybe looking back at other MMO's with rose colored glasses.

Sorry,I just don't think you are looking hard enough.

You already stated that you equipped 4 different style daggers before level 80 and even got to the exotics and legendaries.

There are different style weapons available from the dungeons, and also from the heart vendors out in the world not just what drops off mobs or is easy to find in the auction.

I just think that you are whining a little bit about nothing too important and maybe looking back at other MMO's with rose colored glasses.

Maybe its that in other mmos I didnt have to run dungeons to get interesting looking weapons.  Or that there was a wide variety of weapon models throughout the game, whether it be dungeons, drops, on the auction, wherever.  Would it not be nice to have a WIDE variety of weapon models to choose from if you were going to transmute? 

As it stands?  I can literally go into my kitchen right now and find a better variety of different looking "weapons" than I can in GW2.  Period.  If you can't literally admit the game has a lacking weapon variety I can't see what to do for you.  I'm glad  it doesn't bother you.   

But the fact you just said I was whining?  That's fan boy mantra right there.  That's an instant indicator that when someone brings up a slight, moderate, or large issue with GW2 you are likely to say its not a big deal.  And to call them a "whiner".  You just gave yourself away there.  The minute I see the word "whining" or "whiner" in a post I immediately know what you are about.  That's a red flag. 

You are correct you can get different looking weapons from karma vendors in the world.  Yes.  There seems to be a whopping maybe 4 or 5 different varietes out there.  As for dungeons yes, they do give unique looking weapons as in any game.  Sometimes.  Not always. 

Lets take daggers.  I know there are about 52 whopping models of daggers in the game.  That's a good amount!  Except how often do you think a player going from 1-80 ever sees more than 4 or 5 of them?  See thats the problem.  What's wrong with seeing or using 15 different models from 1-50 ?  Does that not seem normal?  What about 10 models from 1-80? Lets take blues.  In past mmo's Ive played I can find low quality different models of the same weapon on the tradehouse or auction house alone.  Going from level 1-20 there should be around 15 different models there JUST in the low end.  I'm not saying they have to be epic looking.  Im saying they should look different.  That's all. 

Instead most players are just using maybe 3 or 4 all the way to 80.   And you know it.  Thats a problem.  Is it game breaking?  Hardly.  Is it kind of puzzling and strange?  Absolutely.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Going from 1 to 80 doesn't take that long. Most weapon models are for lvl 80 characters because lvl 80 is where you'll end up spending most of your time.

Also, GW is supposed to be all about cosmetic progression. Getting an unusual, nice-looking skin should be a big deal.

[mod edit]

Yea, the lack of model dispertion.  The lack of using the models.  The lack of there being more of them out in the world. 

Heck they could color them differently just to add some variety.  Or they could allow us to color them as we do armor.  I don't really want to see pink swords.  But I would think if they aren't going to put their variety into the game as drops then they could at least allow us to color our weapons in earth tone shades or natural colors.  Like silver, iron, pewter, bronze etc.  Heck there's bronze weapons in the game now.  That don't...look...bronze.  Oh...they look just like everything else.  Righto.

6 to 7 full paragraphs represents my ability to type a thought on a keyboard.  Whining is a tone of voice which is completley indicipherable in text.  However trolling?  That's a different story.  Which is what your last sentence right there was for sure.  Just a bit. 

Lets take daggers.  I know there are about 52 whopping models of daggers in the game.  That's a good amount!  Except how often do you think a player going from 1-80 ever sees more than 4 or 5 of them?  See thats the problem.  What's wrong with seeing or using 15 different models from 1-50 ?  Does that not seem normal?  What about 10 models from 1-80? Lets take blues.  In past mmo's Ive played I can find low quality different models of the same weapon on the tradehouse or auction house alone.  Going from level 1-20 there should be around 15 different models there JUST in the low end.  I'm not saying they have to be epic looking.  Im saying they should look different.  That's all. 

Instead most players are just using maybe 3 or 4 all the way to 80.   And you know it.  Thats a problem.  Is it game breaking?  Hardly.  Is it kind of puzzling and strange?  Absolutely.

As I stated earlier, different zones lead to more looks. The story path seems to direct players, depending on Race, to certain Regions while leaving other ones out entirely.  My 100% map completion Sylvari Guardian was using 2-3 models of the great sword (standard, kryta, and story quest reward) all the way to lvl 80 (had Sylvaria look one early on, but didn't keep it). My brother made a Charr Guardian and linked me 3 great swords I hadn't seen before by the time he got lvl 30.

Diversity in drops is off, but it is also linked played Raced (for story) Regions and enemies. The standard look drop is a huge % though. Got a great sword skin I like at lvl 80, and got a lvl 80 exotic staff for my Necro to lvl to - so I'm content.

Originally posted by Eluldor

As I stated earlier, different zones lead to more looks. The story path seems to direct players, depending on Race, to certain Regions while leaving other ones out entirely.  My 100% map completion Sylvari Guardian was using 2-3 models of the great sword (standard, kryta, and story quest reward) all the way to lvl 80 (had Sylvaria look one early on, but didn't keep it). My brother made a Charr Guardian and linked me 3 great swords I hadn't seen before by the time he got lvl 30.

Diversity in drops is off, but it is also linked played Raced (for story) Regions and enemies. The standard look drop is a huge % though. Got a great sword skin I like at lvl 80, and got a lvl 80 exotic staff for my Necro to lvl to - so I'm content.

Yup.  You've described it exactly.  Which is fine.  But I'm glad you agree its "off".  Because I really think it is.  However I'm glad at 80 you found some cool looking stuff you liked, which I think is pretty typical for people reaching end game. 

But as you said, the fact of the matter is that typical players are getting a variety of maybe 3 or 4 weapon models all the way to 80.  I'd appreciate seeing that changed maybe one day.  Because in my experience with mmorpgs, that's just not something that happens. 

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

I have that sword too ! ( Ebonblade). The coolest greatsword in my opinion. Also, i agree that lower lvl models can get boring, but there are plenty of skins at higher levels.

Originally posted by Damzilla

I have that sword too ! ( Ebonblade). The coolest greatsword in my opinion. Also, i agree that lower lvl models can get boring, but there are plenty of skins at higher levels.

This discussion got me curious to how many models of greatswords there actually are, found this http://dulfy.net/2012/11/07/gw2-greatsword-skin-gallery/ Minus the small count of models, 8 that I just purchased in the auction house (bronze and mithril change colors only of standard greatsword skin) pretty much everything is RARE or EXOTIC. So that is about 10 items to 50 or so focused at end game :)

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

This discussion got me curious to how many models of greatswords there actually are, found this http://dulfy.net/2012/11/07/gw2-greatsword-skin-gallery/ Minus the small count of models, 8 that I just purchased in the auction house (bronze and mithril change colors only of standard greatsword skin) pretty much everything is RARE or EXOTIC. So that is about 10 items to 50 or so focused at end game :)

Which is absurd for this game since it was advertised that endgame starts at level 1.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Actually what I've noticed is that people who don't bother to learn what's available and how to get them have this issue.    There are 16 skins sets from drops which include some of the 15 racial skins but many that aren't.   There are 8 rare and exotic skins from crafting.   There are 8 dungeon sets.   There are 4 sets from organizations (Pact, Vigil, etc.).     There are 6 other skin sets (mystic, pirate, etc.)

That's 41 sets (at a minimum) without over-lap.     I think there are 47 unique armor sets.  But that's off the top of my head without double-checking against the wiki.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I am hoping that they will continue the same method they used with GW1, and introduce a whole new selection of armors/ weapon skins/ character models  with each expansion pack.  I hope.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by grimal

Which is absurd for this game since it was advertised that endgame starts at level 1.

No, you know what's absurd?   People who can't be bothered to find out what's what or be bothered to use the transmutation stones ANet gives you for nothing to make what they want from the 41 skins (at a minimum) available...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I've noticed the exact opposite. I regularly stop at vendors to see what new gun and bow skins I can get because I've found there's a lot more that aren't in the regular crafting and loot drop system.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre