Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've found my game.

BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72

When GW2 first came out, I really didn't get excited. I waited a week, then I ended up caving in and purchasing the game. I barely even played it the first week. I got a character to 30, did some WvW, some questing, tried out some alts in Hearts of the Mists, etc. I figured there was no rush. There is no sub. 

But then.... I experienced a zone boss. I experienced leveling with a friend. I experienced real WvW action, and discovered new and interesting places. 

This game is much more complex than I was lead to believe, which is something I'm very happy with. The zone boss experience was something that really turned the game on for me. It felt fresh. But most importantly: It showed the potential of the game. This game will easily become a classic. Ten years from now, when most of us have moved on, if we gave this game a chance, we will look back at it fondly. It's already a good game. But it will become a great game.

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Theres been quite a few posters who have tried to relay this information but no one really took them serious.

I am glad you found a game that you enjoy, I too enjoy the game but only in small amounts a few days a week.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I found my game too, right there on the shelf.  Hadn't seen it it quite some time, and had forgotten I set it on that shelf.  Now that I know where it is, I can rest assured that if I ever want to play it again, I can download it.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Bootez

When GW2 first came out, I really didn't get excited. I waited a week, then I ended up caving in and purchasing the game. I barely even played it the first week. I got a character to 30, did some WvW, some questing, tried out some alts in Hearts of the Mists, etc. I figured there was no rush. There is no sub. 

But then.... I experienced a zone boss. I experienced leveling with a friend. I experienced real WvW action, and discovered new and interesting places. 

This game is much more complex than I was lead to believe, which is something I'm very happy with. The zone boss experience was something that really turned the game on for me. It felt fresh. But most importantly: It showed the potential of the game. This game will easily become a classic. Ten years from now, when most of us have moved on, if we gave this game a chance, we will look back at it fondly. It's already a good game. But it will become a great game.

the game is amazing.... i just recently watched a trailer for the game.. and thought to myself that i have yet to encouter the mobs and bosses in the trailer.. the simple fact that i can lvl a character almost to max and still have experienced very little of the world is amazing..

you can get all ur skills and abilities and explore the game as a veteran explorer.... going to what maps u want and writing ur own story....

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by azzamasin
    I am glad you found a game that you enjoy, I too enjoy the game but only in small amounts a few days a week.

Interesting. With GW2, and just about every game I've ever played that I actually enjoyed, I often played in bursts of ~150-200 hours after which I stopped playing the game completely for several weeks/months.

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Alot

Interesting. With GW2, and just about every game I've ever played that I actually enjoyed, I often played in bursts of ~150-200 hours after which I stopped playing the game completely for several weeks/months.

Yea, I used to do the burst thing too. I did when MoP was released. Then I unsubbed. With GW2 it's been different for some reason. I guess I just don't feel rushed. Probably has something to do with the lack of a sub fee, or maybe that levels don't really matter. I mean, they do matter, but not really that much. 

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Yea, I used to do the burst thing too. I did when MoP was released. Then I unsubbed. With GW2 it's been different for some reason. I guess I just don't feel rushed. Probably has something to do with the lack of a sub fee, or maybe that levels don't really matter. I mean, they do matter, but not really that much. 

Agreed,

Used to play WoW for 40 hours per week for years  ... (having over a year of in-game time spend :o).

With Guild Wars 2 however it's very different for some reason. I play between 5-10 hours per week but im having a blast doing so and will continue to play like this for quiet some time. And since there's no raiding i actually have more time for IRL friend stuff wich i neglacted for abit during the past few years ;p

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Well not to downplay the zone events but other games have done the same... but none the less it sounds like its more then that simple gimmick that made you like the game. Just because I view the game poorly doesn't mean people can't enjoy it and your one of them. Enjoy the game. :)
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I tried to get into GW2 i really did. As i have said in the past im willing to give any game a chance. Sorry its just not for me i guess. However if other people find it and love it, great on them. Good job finding something that can hold your attention. its difficult in the current market.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh

Agreed,

Used to play WoW for 40 hours per week for years  ... (having over a year of in-game time spend :o).

With Guild Wars 2 however it's very different for some reason. I play between 5-10 hours per week but im having a blast doing so and will continue to play like this for quiet some time. And since there's no raiding i actually have more time for IRL friend stuff wich i neglacted for abit during the past few years ;p

After my initial rush, i am settling at an average of 20 hours or so a week, including weekends, and still loving the game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

Glad to hear people are enjoying it and have found an MMO to really get into.

With about 80 hours into it, I'm bored of it already. I just played for about an hour or so and I find it to be just... meh. For whatever reason, I'm just not enjoying it.

• ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114

I am glad the Op found his game because i sure as hell have not found my game here. It's decent but from my perspective over rated. It has done some very good things such as graphics, exploration and selling on the market from the back pack. It is far from a must play game just the same. I think part of the reason is the game play does not change from lvl 1 to lvl 80 from any real degree. I know some think this is a strength but i personally find this a weakness.

I would not criticise anyone who says they really enjoy this game as it definitely has it's strengths, i myself are playing it less and less now.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

how different tastes can be.

Game bored me to tears. Uninstalled and shelved the box at some place I don't see it

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

If you don't mind me asking, what are the other mmorpgs have you played?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    and i pitty your shelterd perspective on what u thing a good game is...but then again it isnt a compleat copy and paste game like The WarZ
  • NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Arcondo87
    and i pitty your shelterd perspective on what u thing a good game is...but then again it isnt a compleat copy and paste game like The WarZ

No need to take a shot at his opinion. While I agree with you, I am glad the OP found their game. Just because I am getting bored with it, does not mean everyone hates it or that it is not a good game. It just isn't really doing anything for me.

I see no game on the horizon that even really gets me mildly excited at this point. They all sort of just give me a case of the mehs. I had been excited about GW2, but it fell into the meh category about 100 hours in, which is great for a single player game, but I think we all want more than that out of our MMOs. 

I do not feel cheated, I really rather feel like I did not have an MMORPG experience.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I don't play the game much anymore, but I have not given up on it. I can't explain it, but the game cannot hold my attention at all...I cannot put my finger on the reason why.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Thought I was drifting away from the game there for awhile only playing 10 hours a week but now with the new sPVP map and a cool dungeon I can't stop playing. Love that I have to play with a Starcraft type APM in PVP. At last a game when skill matters and I can hold my own against 5 people at once with proper dodge:ing and positioning.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I'm always amazed by the number of people who have nothing to say but still feel the need to "pee in other people's cheerios". Bitter, much?

I'm glad you're having fun with the game, OP, because so do I - welcome to the club :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

I don't play the game much anymore, but I have not given up on it. I can't explain it, but the game cannot hold my attention at all...I cannot put my finger on the reason why.

I had this for the first couple of weeks aswell ... I couldn't explain it, but it didn't quiet grab me at first. I think the main reason was the lack of PvE prestige or something .... :x

But now that i am 80 for 3 weeks ... I am grinding my exotic gear, running the new dungeon which is awesome btw and doing a boatload of other crap i srsly can't stop playing  :o

Starting to feel like my WoW addiction ... :x .... not good !

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

I gave one of my friends an invite from that free trial weekend earlier this month, he ended up buying the game and has been having a blast ever since. He was a LoL addict for almost 2 years and now he's stopped to play GW2. We play together and often don't even bother focusing on leveling or farming, just exploring and seeing what we can find. Soon we'll be giving PvP a go as well. The game has some great content, even if you even bother to go seek it out.

I admit, it's his first MMO. But watching him play, I can't help but realize how it feels like people have simply forgotten how to enjoy MMOs. Nowadays it seems to be all about racing to max level and getting high level loot. Just slow the **** down and have fun. Isn't that what we play video games for after all? Stop worrying so much about how long it will take you to reach "endgame".

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

my girlfriend plays GW2 now, i felt bored and burnedout from this game after 4-5 weeks. cant login anymore and if then the only thing i do is farming gold in Orr for my GF. She loves GW2 tough.... for now

Long term fun for me  = zero 

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    same here op, i liked it from start though.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I'm finding that I really like GW2.

I can't seem to level as quickly as others but that may be the way I play. Still, I play it casually, just hit about 21 or 22 last night and for short bits I find it very enjoyable.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo