Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 8 issues

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Has anyone with windows 8 been able to play this without frequent crashes?

As far I can tell it crashes frequently with windows 8 if you have any usb devices hooked up.

Comments

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I run windows 8 and had to run the launcher in administrator mode to get it to run this may help.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Thanks, I've been running in admin mode but it still crashes. Have tried windows 7 compatability mode too.

It always crashes when loading an area after death. So I'm thinking it has something to do with deleting and loading things.

• SeanalexSeanalex Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I only crashed on loadup because I had my Logitech Rumblepad plugged in, but other than that absolutely no crashes.

Played - EQ 1/2, WoW, SWG, SWTOR, GW 1/2 UO, STO, CO, DCUO, AO, Rift.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    My problem is that when I start the game with a joystick it crashes, cant play with s joystick at all. Dont know if this counts only for windows 8 or is one of the dozens of issues this game has.
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Yes I upgraded to Windows 8 the other day after my hard drive was dying and couldn't reactivate Windows 7. So far no trouble at all, I downloaded PS2 from Steam and it launched right up and plays. There's been a handful of posts over at PS2's official forums about running the game in Windows 8 (usually about dinput8.dll).

You have to manually add dinput8.dll from a DirectX install from what I read, that would be why your game crashes when you have a joystick plugged in.

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    The gamepad-issue some people have applies to some other devices as well. I use an USB Condenser microphone, and if it is active when i boot the game up, it crashes instantly. Luckily i can just turn my voip application of choice up after i boot the game and it works fine.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I found the real issue of my crashing, which was an out of memory error. They need to tell people this game won't work on a 32-bit OS without tweaking.

I had to use the OS memory tweak: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2768 to get the game to stop crashing.

Note to anyone that uses this, you have to leave room for your OS and video memory, so don't set it to use all of your memory, otherwise it can possibly crash your entire PC, and it's also a security risk.

I set mine to 2768 because I have 4GB(well 8 but can only use 4 with 32-bit) system memory and 512MB of video memory and I left the rest for the OS. Been playing for hours without crashing, where I would usually crash at about a half hour of play.

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197

It won't run for me, even in Admin mode (windows 8 x64).

I unplugged my G13 and it didn't work either. Just gives the the Planetside2.exe stopped working when I hit the play button.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by jusomdude
    Has anyone with windows 8 been able to play this without frequent crashes?As far I can tell it crashes frequently with windows 8 if you have any usb devices hooked up.

Have not had a problem playing on windows 8...how long are your sessions?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I have no crashing issues at all with Windows 8 Pro 64bit, but then again the only USB components I have plugged in are the mouse and keyboard.  Perhapse it really is a driver issue for the USB component you have plugged in?  I use Microsoft drivers for both of mine.

I don't know if this might be an issue, but when I first installed Win 8, it was through the upgrade path and that caused all sorts of issues with gaming.  Everything was resolved when I went back and installed a clean version.  What I noticed right away is that the upgrade version only had two reserved partitions on the drive, while the clean install had 3 reserved partitions for Windows plus the main partition for the OS itself.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Windows 8 user, no crashes. played last night for 3 hours straight.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

As far I can tell it crashes frequently with windows 8 if you have any usb devices hooked up.

I have a really easy fix in 3 steps:

1. Format C:

2. Install Win7 x64

3. Reinstall Game (and play)

No more problems...

Just my 2 cents...

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173
    My gaming sessions run upwards of 2-4 hours at a sit and with updated graphics drivers I haven't crashed once in over a week now.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Shaike

1. Format C:

2. Install Win7 x64

No more problems...

lol this, have people not figured out to skip every other Windows OS yet? People amaze me at what they throw money at...

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

... frequent crashes? Sounds more like hardware issue.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by MaGicBush
    Originally posted by Shaike

1. Format C:

2. Install Win7 x64

No more problems...

lol this, have people not figured out to skip every other Windows OS yet? People amaze me at what they throw money at...

Windows 8 is perfectly fine. Performs better than Windows 7 so far!

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by spizz
    My problem is that when I start the game with a joystick it crashes, cant play with s joystick at all. Dont know if this counts only for windows 8 or is one of the dozens of issues this game has.

I have the same problem, so your not alone on this one.

You need dinput8.dll, someone posted a link for the download to that file on the PS2 forums.