Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its time for a dungeonfinder

Comments

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    No. That's what we have guilds for.

Im sorry but as the founder and only member of Emo Sad Kids [EMO] I disagree 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah I'm not sure people who's primary playstyle is doing dungeons will be in gw2 when they could be in wow, rift, tsw etc..

It's still the strongest game for small scale pvp.
    It was the best current (better older) game for large scale pvp until planetside 2 came out. Maybe they should work on making WvW better.
    It's other great strength is out door pve, but one thing I don't get is why they didn't go with daoc / EQ style open dungeons instead,of wow style instanced dungeons, as the de system, with its gold medals and what have you seems ideally suited to open dungeons.
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Anything that helps people group up im down with.

make a tool for everything.

Open world pve, wvw, dungeons, sPVP Getting a team together should take no effort at all.

Who wants to be required to be in a massive guild or send out messages in chat for two hours to get a run going.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm suprised people still have guildmates that log on.  My guild pretty much quit the game after a few weeks.  I would use a dungeon finder.  Not all games would be great with a dungeon finder, but this kind of ultra casual game would be fine with one.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'd say if they limited it to not teleporting people directly to the dungeon and forcing people to travel to the actual dungeon door to get in that would work.

It's when people are just standing around in cities waiting for a group that it becomes stupid. Let them do what they are doing now, stand around in front of the dungeon door to form a group. It would solve the problem and keep the new mechanic from breaking immersion.

• HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by kevjards
    imo this is how you ruin a game..everyone standing around static like twats.i hate these dungeon finders..absolutely the worse idea to ever be invented

+1

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    nvm.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Putting in a dungeon finder in any game is basically admitting that you screwed up the game design and have given up.
  • fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Putting in a dungeon finder in any game is basically admitting that you screwed up the game design and have given up.

How so?

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by fundayz

How so?

Yes I would like to know as well.

That game,how they put it,they will find new friends because of automated teaming everywhere,automated "friends" everywhere,in WvWvW in quests ,bosses ,can be in multiple guilds and x-server too i think,whatever there is.

If that was true that they will find "friends" that way,its good for socializing etc,now where is those "friends"

They have teamed now for about 10,000 people or something like that,they should now have atleast 100-500 friends on their friendlists but what kind of friends are those if they are not willing to help in dungeons and theres only 9 of those,says wiki.

to me it looks like that those kind of socializing tools are scumbag finders.

Let's internet

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Well putting in vertical progression so quickly has already said that.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by DavisFlight Putting in a dungeon finder in any game is basically admitting that you screwed up the game design and have given up.
    How so?

I guess the theory is if you make an engaging immersive world then you would not need a dungeon finder.

People have changed tho, They want quick n' easy access to dungeons without the "adventure" of seeking out others and adventuring across the land to the depths of a dungeon..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Dungeon finder will be implemented sooner or later this is something  MMOS really need these days. Nothing is worse than insane 'lfg' spam in chat.

I usually add spammers to my ignore list.... there that is how much i give a damn about your community spamming the chat channels.

You play wrong games thats all,go to dungeon and find players there,inside or outside.

If this really worked people wouldn't be spamming their ass off in chat. Easier said than done.

Originally posted by ForumPvP

How so?

Yes I would like to know as well.

That game,how they put it,they will find new friends because of automated teaming everywhere,automated "friends" everywhere,in WvWvW in quests ,bosses ,can be in multiple guilds and x-server too i think,whatever there is.

If that was true that they will find "friends" that way,its good for socializing etc,now where is those "friends"

They have teamed now for about 10,000 people or something like that,they should now have atleast 100-500 friends on their friendlists but what kind of friends are those if they are not willing to help in dungeons and theres only 9 of those,says wiki.

to me it looks like that those kind of socializing tools are scumbag finders.

So people who use dungeon finder are scum back this crap up with numbers and proof. Like I said people will often use this when guild mates are busy calling these people scum is BS.

Thats just how you see it and most likely think that way.

But what im talking about is the result what these people gets from that kind of tools.

Let's internet

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by DavisFlight Putting in a dungeon finder in any game is basically admitting that you screwed up the game design and have given up.
    How so?

I guess the theory is if you make an engaging immersive world then you would not need a dungeon finder.

People have changed tho, They want quick n' easy access to dungeons without the "adventure" of seeking out others and adventuring across the land to the depths of a dungeon..

People haven't changed, they've ALWAYS liked quick and easy. The MMO playerbase has changed:now it is not limited to basement dwellers who have all the time in the world to pretend their life away.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Nitth

How so?

People haven't changed, they've ALWAYS liked quick and easy. The MMO playerbase has changed:now it is not limited to basement dwellers who have all the time in the world to pretend their life away.

And what is interesting is that GW2 is a game for casuals and dungeon finder fits perfectly in this which is something casuals appreciate. It saves time and is great convenience for those who can not spend hours spamming for groups.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I wouldn't use the dungeon finder in GW2, only because the game has the world's worst dungeon design and playability in the history of dungeon design and playablility. Worst multiplayer experience I've ever had playing a themepark MMO. They said they are going to address dungeons, but I don't see how you fix it with the current class mechanics.

Joined - July 2004

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by remyburke
    I wouldn't use the dungeon finder in GW2, only because the game has the world's worst dungeon design and playability in the history of dungeon design and playablility. Worst multiplayer experience I've ever had playing a themepark MMO. They said they are going to address dungeons, but I don't see how you fix it with the current class mechanics.

People shouldn't look surprised if they toss in more trinity-system-goodness. It's not like their word is worth anything anyways.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Problem I'm seeing a lot of is choosing agreeable paths. If a path doesn't suit a player once you get in, and he drops out on you then you're screwed and have to spend 30min finding a replacement. Happened last night when 2 people gave up since they didn't know we were just picking a random path (CoF path 3).

Also the chat spamming limitations make is a challenge in itself. Guilds are great for finding people to dungeon run with, but not all the time do guild members want to run a dungeon with you, or few are on if you are in a smaller guild(s).

I admit, pugs are not optimal in some cases for running dungeons for the most part, but 90% of the time I have found really good groups who I mesh well with, and we all kinda learn fast to work together because the dungeon really forces you to. It's that other 10% of the time you have those who drop out, or give up that makes it suck. GW2 is a great game for team building; WvWvW is a perfect example of how people who aren't guilded together can work; at least on my server.

I think a finder that allowed you to detail your plan before hand would allow people to pick and choose what they want before you bother inviting them. If it's random path then they know it's random path. If it's path 4, and they don't want to d path 4 they can keep checking or make their own group for other who need path 4. I really liked Aions system of dungeon finding, they should implement something like that. I do still think you should be in the area to enter, if anything this should only be a social tool. As it is now people spam chat in LA, this would at least make group building global.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by Whitebeards

And what is interesting is that GW2 is a game for casuals and dungeon finder fits perfectly in this which is something casuals appreciate. It saves time and is great convenience for those who can not spend hours spamming for groups.

This right here

Its time to improvise,If GW2  disables all chat channels,people could only chat in front of dungeons.

Would you go there ,could take most likely 5 minutes ,instead of spamming chat channels for hours in cities?

And there do some teamin actions  like hey master,i think you want to do this dungeon because you are here,lets party.

Could it work,or is it really fun to spam chat channels or what is that magic behind it ?

Let's internet

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

there is a flaw in the system.

1) if there is LFD system, everyone sits in the cities just using LFD.

2) if theres no LFD system, everyone sits at the entrance of the dungeon they want.

someone has to come up with something to fix both issues and keep people playing and not spending hours sitting in one spot waiting for dungeons

but i dont know im fine in GW2 without a LFD. Look at Rift and Swtor, nobody uses their LFD system.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    omeone has to come up with something to fix both issues and keep people playing and not spending hours sitting in one spot waiting for dungeons

Does exist.

But we're always presented with a choice between the two extremes--dungeon finder (the worst of the grouping tools), or no grouping tool.  (Well, not entirely accurate, since it was Blizzard's fourth crack at a LFG tool, and the previous ones were arguably, amazingly, even worse).

People forget that other tools did exist, without Meeting Stones, without spamming /flg, without cross-server and without the teleport-to-instance.  But on the one hand, you have players (who will not stop until every game is Just Like WoW), and the opposition (who will never consider anything called a 'dungeon finder').  They won't be compromising, because they're diametrically opposed.

The basic issue is that the gaming population forgets there was ever any other options, or any other system.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    It was time on day 1.  I wanted to level in other zones while waiting for a queue to pop for a story mode dungeon.  They didn't have it so I skipped the dungeons altogether until I hit the level cap.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by rojo6934

there is a flaw in the system.

1) if there is LFD system, everyone sits in the cities just using LFD.

2) if theres no LFD system, everyone sits at the entrance of the dungeon they want.

You are wrong on #1:

You could be farming karma out in the world, exploring, doing hearts, whatever.  In games with dailies I'd do dailies while waiting for the queue to pop and then get sent to the dungeon.

Any themepark that releases today without dungeon finders and ports to the dungeon are losing customers.