Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Initial Thoughts on The Elder Scrolls Online

An interesting article that pretty much sums up my thoughts and feelings on The Elder Scrolls Online so far. What do you folks think?

heres the link

Comments

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

At this point, there's going to be a lot of speculation on what the game is going to be like when it's released. We really don't have enough answers to all the questions.

I will say that I do like the majority of things they are doing with this game. The possible faction zone limitations could be a problem but it isn't a deal breaker for me at this point. As long as I can create at least one character for each faction, I'll be OK with it. Now if they force me to choose a side and stick with it, I may have a problem with it because we won't have multiple servers to create characters of the opposite faction on. I'm hoping that by crowning an Emperor, we are able to travel to the other faction zones for as long as our emperor remains in power. It would make sense and I really hope the devs agree with me.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

A blog about someone moaning why they can't go into other faction areas and gank, yeah ok.

Cyrodiil is a vast pvp area with a city and quests, that should be plenty big enough for the PVP players to have their fun in. The other faction areas are PVE and so it should be. The whole game is setup around this mega server and because of that you can't have separate servers.

4-5 years in and the devs are not going to change it.

Many of us PVE players would like to explore all the other faction areas with one character but we can't. Each area is story driven and the stories are based around the races who live in that area. We don't complain about it in every other thread and have to except it, pvper are not special.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

A blog about someone moaning why they can't go into other faction areas and gank, yeah ok.

Cyrodiil is a vast pvp area with a city and quests, that should be plenty big enough for the PVP players to have their fun in. The other faction areas are PVE and so it should be. The whole game is setup around this mega server and because of that you can't have separate servers.

Many of us PVE players would like to explore all the other faction areas with one character but we can't. Each area is story driven and the stories are based around the races who live in that area. We don't complain about it in every other thread and have to except it, pvper are not special.

I do understand your points but I really have wonder how on Earth they came to the design choice. I mean, did they actually sit down at the start and say

"ok, what limitations can we enforce on the playerbase?"

"How about we Force factions onto players depending on their race...oh and also totally lock down their ability to explore the world by only alowing travel within your own faction?

"Sounds great and totally what TESO is all about...lack of freedom to choose your path as and when you want and freedom to explore with complete freedom!".

While I am interested in the game, and more then likely will buy it unlesss it is really bad, this removal of choice is really annoying. And a game that has started off annoying me is not good.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

And a game that has started off annoying me is not good.

Yet you will still buy it so what's the point in maoning about it, you can't change it. It seems to me that the PVPers  think they come first and any MMO that is being made owes them something. As i said many of us PVEers would like to explore all three faction areas on one character but we can't.

It's not us PVEers who are complaining in every other TESO thread, we have restrictions as well.

As i've said, the link was a blogger moaning on why he can't go and gank in other faction areas, shouldn't he been playing DarkFall.

Like most of  these PVPers  they talk a good one but don't want to play a real PVP game where FFA looting and losing all your items is at risk.

They aint as hardcore as they make out IMO.

And a game that has started off annoying me is not good.

Yet you will still buy it so what's the point in maoning about it, you can't change it. It seems to me that the PVPers  think they come first and any MMO that is being made owes them something. As i said many of us PVEers would like to explore all three faction areas on one character but we can't.

It's not us PVEers who are complaining in every other TESO thread, we have restrictions as well.

As i've said, the link was a blogger moaning on why he can't go and gank in other faction areas, shouldn't he been playing DarkFall.

Like most of these loud mouth PVPers  they talk a good one but don't want to play a real PVP game where FFA looting and losing all your items is at risk.

They aint as hardcore as they make out IMO.

Apologies I should have stated my statement was 100% about the PvE side of the game.

And my point still stands. I want to be able to play any race I want, go to any area of the map I want, join the war if I want, Join a faction if I want.....do anything within the realistic logic of the world...but why does there have to be an artificial barrier put into the game? It is purely a barrier to force people into one of the 3 factions in the hopes that faction balance is obtained. Sure this is a PvP function but the implications are 100% afecting the PvE side of the game.

The funny thing is, while I am pretty sure they are enforcing race/faction links to balance factions for PvP, I can see the faction numbers being wildly unbalanced. So not only are they enforcing a race/faction link pissing people off, but they are doing it to try and force faction balance when it all likelyhood it will be totally unbalanced.

Ignoring the PvP side of things, I want the freedon to create a character of any race, have them live in any location, participate in any activity and if, IF I CHOOSE to join a side in the war, then I also CHOOSE the restrictions that come with that choice.

The last TESO game, Skyrim, I create a Breton Mage who fought for the Stormcloaks. I also had a Breton Thief who chose to fight against the stomcloaks. At no point did the game say "Sorry this is Skyrim, Only Nord characters can be created here" or "sorry, you can only join the Stormcloaks because you are a Nord".

But ignoring all that let me ask a question. Please give me a reason why YOU think it is ok to: -

Stop anyone creating a Breton who doesn't want to join the war, who wants to live in Skyrim and who has a best friend who is a Nord?

You see except for an artificial barrier introduced to the game by the designers/developers there is 100% NO reason why I shouldn't be able to do the above.

• Souleater04Souleater04 Member Posts: 17

I guess your reading comprehension skills aren't very good, because it has nothing to do with ganking. That is a small portion of the article. One person stated that they'd like for the option to flag for pvp. Not go around ganking, but set themselves up to be pvp'd by anyone.

There is no moaning about, "oh man, why can't I go to another player's territory and gank them," but more, "oh man, why can't I make war at least on the NPCs of an enemy factions town."

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

I dont see limiting land/race by faction as a bad thing at all, it helps give a sense of faction pride imho

I mean how realistic would it be to have open borders with a country your at war with anyway? Plus locking land/stories to factions gives the game more replayability as you will have in essence three PvE games in one

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

I do understand your points but I really have wonder how on Earth they came to the design choice. I mean, did they actually sit down at the start and say

"How about we Force factions onto players depending on their race...oh and also totally lock down their ability to explore the world by only alowing travel within your own faction?

"Sounds great and totally what TESO is all about...lack of freedom to choose your path as and when you want and freedom to explore with complete freedom!".

While I am interested in the game, and more then likely will buy it unlesss it is really bad, this removal of choice is really annoying. And a game that has started off annoying me is not good.

Firor has been wanting to remake DAOC for years. He finally found someone to let him do it.

Unfortunately they are allowing him to butcher the Elder Scrolls IP to make it happen.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by deakon

I mean how realistic would it be to have open borders with a country your at war with anyway? Plus locking land/stories to factions gives the game more replayability as you will have in essence three PvE games in one

Is it more realistic then being physically unable to enter a country you are at war with then?

How would you spy on the enemy?

How would you even invade their lands?

How would you cut off supply lines?

How would you spread propoganda?

How would an emisary seeking peace deliver the message?

How would a weapon shipment be delivered by a traitor from another faction?

All of this is simply ARTIFICIAL RESTRICTIONS SIMPLY TO MAKE THE DESIGN CHOICES WORK FOR PVP FACTION BALANCE ignoring PvE design balance and over all game adherance to the TESO design concept for NO valid reason.

I am not advocating the ability to 'gank' other players here, I am so anti ganking (for many reasons) that it is stupid to even go there. I am simply asking why have they taken EXTRA steps, EXTRA deisgn time and work, to put these restrictions in place. They have to code the checks to make sure players from other factions cannot go where they are not wanted....

My point is, if I choose NOT to choose a side in the conflict....which I apparently have no control over....then I should be able to travel the lands without restriction. Sure I might suffer some hostile words, that is a common feature in the TESO games, and I must accept that perhaps I am at risk from attack from the PvE environment including national predjudice, but I am free to make the choice.

This creates a lot of INVISIBLE walls....selective walls but invisible none the less.

The funny thing is, the game would be SO much better if we were free to CHOOSE a faction (and all that means such as making 7 regions naturally hostile). The choice of faction comes at a cost and should not be taken lightly. But if you do not choose to take sides then you don't have to.

I know the easy come back to this is going to be a simple "too late to change it now" but honestly, the more I think about it the more it makes me decide to not get the game and that honestly makes me sad. The sadest part is, I cannot see why they chose to go this way other then lack of idea's. Someone at the top who has made the descision to go this way has basically failed to actually DESIGN anything, they have simply copied something else without actually working out if a simple copy is the best fit.

IMHO it isn't and whoever has made that choice has made a mistake.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Souleater04

An interesting article that pretty much sums up my thoughts and feelings on The Elder Scrolls Online so far. What do you folks think?

heres the link

I don't like no name reviews... from oddly named websites,

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Is it more realistic then being physically unable to enter a country you are at war with then?

How would you spy on the enemy?

How would you even invade their lands?

How would you cut off supply lines?

How would you spread propoganda?

How would an emisary seeking peace deliver the message?

How would a weapon shipment be delivered by a traitor from another faction?

All of this is simply ARTIFICIAL RESTRICTIONS SIMPLY TO MAKE THE DESIGN CHOICES WORK FOR PVP FACTION BALANCE ignoring PvE design balance and over all game adherance to the TESO design concept for NO valid reason.

I am not advocating the ability to 'gank' other players here, I am so anti ganking (for many reasons) that it is stupid to even go there. I am simply asking why have they taken EXTRA steps, EXTRA deisgn time and work, to put these restrictions in place. They have to code the checks to make sure players from other factions cannot go where they are not wanted....

My point is, if I choose NOT to choose a side in the conflict....which I apparently have no control over....then I should be able to travel the lands without restriction. Sure I might suffer some hostile words, that is a common feature in the TESO games, and I must accept that perhaps I am at risk from attack from the PvE environment including national predjudice, but I am free to make the choice.

This creates a lot of INVISIBLE walls....selective walls but invisible none the less.

The funny thing is, the game would be SO much better if we were free to CHOOSE a faction (and all that means such as making 7 regions naturally hostile). The choice of faction comes at a cost and should not be taken lightly. But if you do not choose to take sides then you don't have to.

I know the easy come back to this is going to be a simple "too late to change it now" but honestly, the more I think about it the more it makes me decide to not get the game and that honestly makes me sad. The sadest part is, I cannot see why they chose to go this way other then lack of idea's. Someone at the top who has made the descision to go this way has basically failed to actually DESIGN anything, they have simply copied something else without actually working out if a simple copy is the best fit.

IMHO it isn't and whoever has made that choice has made a mistake.

Theres a difference between a few people sneaking into a country in wartime and letting everyone be able to enter.

and invisible walls, dont make me laugh, how is that any different than playing skyrim and not being able to enter morrowind, cyrodil etc? There are simple ways around it without having invisible walls.

Faction pride is important for a pvp focussed game, and from a business stand point having exclusive PvE content tied to factions is a good thing as it gives people more reason to stick around as they will NEED more than one toon in order to see everything.

TESO will offer more freedom than the single player games because you will get to explore up to 4 reagons per faction rather than just the one, so i honestly cant see how anyone can make it out to be more restrictive when that clearly isnt the case

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Rimmersman A blog about someone moaning why they can't go into other faction areas and gank, yeah ok. Cyrodiil is a vast pvp area with a city and quests, that should be plenty big enough for the PVP players to have their fun in. The other faction areas are PVE and so it should be. The whole game is setup around this mega server and because of that you can't have separate servers. 4-5 years in and the devs are not going to change it. Many of us PVE players would like to explore all the other faction areas with one character but we can't. Each area is story driven and the stories are based around the races who live in that area. We don't complain about it in every other thread and have to except it, pvper are not special.

i think i know what they are thinking, they are thinking it worked out great in Daoc.

i don't think their plan was to make it exactly like the single player ES games.

i think their plan was to make an ES meets Daoc style mmo and i don't think the lack of exploring the entire world with one character will make or break this game.

but it does give people something to complain about so i guess it does make everyone happy so far!lol

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I strikes me as odd this can't see everything moan.

Skyrim is like going into a pub, paying for a pint and getting a pint.

TESO is like going into a pub, paying for a pint, you get two pints, the bar maid also gives 2 pints to the guy on the fruit machine and 2 pints to the guy at the other end of the bar. She then puts a bowl of nuts out that you have to grab before the other 2
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

If it plays like skyrim then im all for it.

Ill pre-order and champion the damn thing on the forums.

I want to explore, i want to stumble onto quest chains like i do in skyrim. 

However if this game is just a basic themepark with the elder scrolls name attached ill toss it in the bin like all the others.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I think they plan for it to be a bit more like GW2 in that if you take part in killing something, you get shared xp and loot. And I think there will be shared resources as well so if one person mines a node, everyone else can too. At least I'm hoping it will work that way.

If they can combine the best from the games currently on the market and make it feel like you are playing Elder Scrolls but with friends, then I think they will have a successful MMO. The biggest thing for everyone is to capture the Elder Scrolls feel.

One of the things the devs mentioned that I really liked was the way that gaining reputation with the mages guild would work. You have to go out into the world and collect books. That's one of the things I love doing in Elder Scrolls. Finding books and reading them.

They have so much lore to build upon in making this game that I really hope they do it right.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I strikes me as odd this can't see everything moan.

Skyrim is like going into a pub, paying for a pint and getting a pint.

TESO is like going into a pub, paying for a pint, you get two pints, the bar maid also gives 2 pints to the guy on the fruit machine and 2 pints to the guy at the other end of the bar. She then puts a bowl of nuts out that you have to grab before the other 2

I know what you are saying but I just don't like the design choice, I think it isn't neccessary and actually goes against the spirit of the games. Using your example about the bar and beer I understand what you mean but I see it more as...

I am given 2 pints but find out I cannot drink the 2nd pint unless I go into the 2nd bar. When I try to go into the 2nd bar they refuse me access because I already have access to the first bar. So the only way I can go into the 2nd bar to drink the 2nd beer is to leave the pub, go to the entrance to the 2nd bar, go in and drink my beer. Actually i personally think it is more like I order a beer and they give me a beer, a meal and access to a show. But to eat I have to leave, put on a disguise and enter another bar to eat. Then leave, put on a third disguise, enter the 3rd bar and watch the show. I want to watch the show and drink my beer but am unable to do so because they are in 2 different bars. Having to flip between bars eventually pisses me off and I go somewhere that provides the same services but without the stupid fucking restrictions.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I think Matt Firor was the genius behind the best faction vs faction game ever made.......DAOC.(It certainly wasen't Jacobs).So I'm optomistic.We know so little.So far theres noting in the games development that has caused me concern.I've tuned into game sites devoted to the game and listen to podcasts to stay informed.My guess is the launch is some time away given the slow release of info..and what those who have played the game have had to say.

BTW you can have a character in each of the three factions so nothing is closed to you.You cannot fight in the same battelfield with each of your characters...so there will be no cross realming.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Souleater04

heres the link

I don't like no name reviews... from oddly named websites,

So you like only reviews from well known sites which have historically been so inaccurate its almost as though the game in question paid for the review? Think of all the hype GW2, SWTOR, WAR, AOC had from big name sites, AND THIS SITE before and during launch. Look what happend. 

The article linked from the OP are just regular people like us with impressions on the game, many of which align with my exact concerns. 

Do you only believe news you hear from CNN, MSNBC, and ABC? if so then sucks to be you.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com