Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Mmo that is not just a solo mmorpg.

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Alright you may be wondering about the topic, what I mean by this is no mmo's like wow, where there is 0 point to grouping till your at cap, and its better to just rush to max level. I am looking for a mmo that is based around needing others to do things, and has a community that actually works together (insted of like wow, where before cap everyone is like "screw you i can solo") Bascally the whole making mmos soloable thing has ruined the genre. I've played ff11/14 already and afaik those are the only 2 mmo's left that aren't just a solo grindfest.. Prove me wrong, I'd also like the game to have meaningful pvp, as in you get to cap, raid for gear, then have some faction vs faction land control style pvp. I am tired of mmo's again that copy wow where you rush to cap, raid, then the raid gear is utterly pointless since there is no more use for it. (more raids do not count in my book). Bascally I am looking for a semi-group based (i'd like solo as an option even if it is much soloer than teaming) mmorpg, with endgame that revolves around obtaining gear thru pve to use in pvp faction vs faction battles, I prefer it if the game has no seperate pvp gear.

Any mmo like this left out there besided ff11/14 or should I just give up on the genre as a whole for the next few years?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

Sadly, there is no such game.

I too am waiting for PSO2 ( played the JP version for a while ) since in the end, the PS saga has always provided me with my best gaming memories and experiences, and somehow allowed me to meet the most interesting people.

If you played the previous PS games you know the community is something special, both for good and for bad.

Still, if you really need/want to play a cooperative mmorpg while you wait,  i would tell you to try GUILD WARS 2 as in that game you cooperate with everyone around you without even needing to form a party.

Not "the best game evur!!!1!1" and there is a lot of things that are not quite as they were advertised, but it is a decent cooperative experience to entertain you for a while.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Older games like vanguard, eq2, lineage 2 perhaps.  Or just find a good group of players that team up for fun.

Newer games to come - DF2, Archeage, The Repopulation, Black Desert, and a few others may be your thing. But will take time for them to come out.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    In Wurmonline only a very small fraction of people are solo, when I played I would have guessed 1 and 50.   Then again it's more of a crafting and world game.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    Firefall promotes a lot of team play.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

+1 & +1 @ previous posters.

If you want MMOs that promote team-play I am afraid you will have to resort to older games.

And, as it has just been pointed out, surprisingly enough for an MMOTPS/MMOFPS, Firefall actually encourages grouping up. For example, you can get a decent amount of experience just healing people while you are going around thanks to assists.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside 2 most definetly isn't a solo orientated rpg.

It's kinda the anti swtor.
  • malcombexmalcombex Member Posts: 14
    Age of Wushu its exactly whhat you want - i was about to give up on mmo games - found this just in time.
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

been playing in the age of wushu beta, and its the most group orieneted game i've been in since ffxi.  crafting is completly depended on the ability to work with others, and alot of the things that you need are only craftible, such as food,  if you go hungry you can only have 75% of your max health and food is only crafted, cant buy from npc.

the pvp is pretty good, i dunno if there's territory control, but you can raid other schools to learn there skills and such. 

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Vanguard is technically soloable till about 10-15 levels before endgame, but you get nowhere near the experience if you don't group. with the game gone f2p + sub the population has increased. the first 10-15 levels are designed to be solo'd but after that you switch between. in part for dungeon content (which is non-instanced) but there are overland 'bosses' for every tier as well.

this does not mean you will be handed a group the moment you need or want one. but in regional chat i see groups regularly forming, particularly for low level content, but also for 40+ as the content becomes increasingly group oriented.

the community is one of the friendlier ive met in mmo's, the only one better was LotRO before the f2p switch they made.

beware, the game has some lag and performance issues along with some bugged quests. but the new dev team has just recently released the first real content upgrade for the game since launch. apparently SoE decided they could make some money off of it.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    lol I'd buy Age of Wushu JUST for the fact you can run up walls and run on top of water and such. Though I wish it was f2p. or is it?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

• malcombexmalcombex Member Posts: 14
    Yes it is.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

It doesn't help that recent games have gone away from the "Trinity", and went with "everyone can do everything".

In older games, not everyone could do everything. That meant you HAD to group. Not every character has a heal, so you NEED a healer, you NEED a dps'er, you NEED crowd control, you NEED a tanker, etc.  But this makes the characters "unbalanced", and some can solo much easier than others.

There were still a few mixed classes, typically utility oriented, that could do most of what is needed. But in modern games,. that's about ALL there is. The characters are "balanced", and everyone can solo about as well as the next guy. And no-one HAS to group.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Cool, since Age of Wushu is f2p, I'll prob check it out when its released, I just hope its not massivly pay2enjoy/pay2win like most f2p's end up being.

or

Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh
    Firefall promotes a lot of team play.

I'm in the firefall beta and all I can say is the game really sucks, about all there is to do is run around and shoot stuff, there is the odd quest, but they usually involve running around shooting stuff. Love the art style, but gameplay in the game is severly lacking.

or

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

to get away from solo oriented mmos sandboxes are your best bet.

almost by definition they are going to strongly nudge folks to band together to get anything meaningful done.

for a themepark, rift has "instant adventures" aka dungeon queues, for young level characters and a LOT of folks in rift level their characters by doing dungeons and other group stuff.

but it sounds like you might be a sandbox gamer at heart.

eve, etc.

regardless, gl finding your game

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

No mmorpg on the market is just a solo game.

Sure you have the option to solo but its always to your benefit to group up.

Group up while questing and you level faster, Group up for pvp and you have a higher chance of winning, Group up with like minded people on voice and you progress through content (dungeons, raids) at a faster rate.  

Seriously I dont know one mmo on the market that doesn't make the game more enjoyable and easier on the player while grouping.

So I ask the OP, Why don't you just stay grouped? Or do you want a game where you can't solo at all? If so why? imo games have evolved since then. I like many aren't interested in gaming like its 2000

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by itchmon

to get away from solo oriented mmos sandboxes are your best bet.

Yet the majority play these games alone...

More people in EVE do nothing but missions or mine solo (or with a second account) than play grouped.

When I played SWG i did most of my playing alone, same in UO and in RYZOM.

Only game I know of that forced you to group to progress at all that wasnt apart of the early EQ days was FFXI before it was changed.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Siveria

Alright you may be wondering about the topic, what I mean by this is no mmo's like wow, where there is 0 point to grouping till your at cap, and its better to just rush to max level. I am looking for a mmo that is based around needing others to do things, and has a community that actually works together (insted of like wow, where before cap everyone is like "screw you i can solo") Bascally the whole making mmos soloable thing has ruined the genre. I've played ff11/14 already and afaik those are the only 2 mmo's left that aren't just a solo grindfest.. Prove me wrong, I'd also like the game to have meaningful pvp, as in you get to cap, raid for gear, then have some faction vs faction land control style pvp. I am tired of mmo's again that copy wow where you rush to cap, raid, then the raid gear is utterly pointless since there is no more use for it. (more raids do not count in my book). Bascally I am looking for a semi-group based (i'd like solo as an option even if it is much soloer than teaming) mmorpg, with endgame that revolves around obtaining gear thru pve to use in pvp faction vs faction battles, I prefer it if the game has no seperate pvp gear.

Any mmo like this left out there besided ff11/14 or should I just give up on the genre as a whole for the next few years?

It is all how you play it.  I've never played a mmo single player game as you put it.  I guess there are those out there that do, but I choose not to.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

In this day and age? The only recent AAA MMO that wasn't a solo fest is Planetside.

To find good grouping you'd have to go with Darkfall Uholy Wars or Vanguard.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Siveria

It is all how you play it.  I've never played a mmo single player game as you put it.  I guess there are those out there that do, but I choose not to.

I hear what your saying, as i dont solo much either, but there is still a difference between grouping in a game like rift and a game like ffxi.  in "solo" theme park games grouping only makes the content even easier then it already is with no real benefit other then enjoying someone's company, in games like ffxi you had to group to get any where, as grouping was the best vialble way to gain exp