Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Is rift endgame raid or die?

124»

Comments

• itchmonitchmon west islip, NYPosts: 1,714Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Z3R01 Sure you can do other things but you would be considered a second class citizen. 
    thats in your head
    Well, to be fair that is the question the OP asked.  It is in the heads of us who like to game for nice items.  The op wanted to know if the nicest items are all behind raid locks and that answer is yes.  From the perspective of "is this gear good enough for me to enjoy myself" then source stone and overland gear is great.  From the perspective of "where can I find the ultimate progression gear" then it's about raids and other gear doesn't measure up.   The wow comparison he made makes no sense to me though.  They seem about the same with their end game gear focus.
      Theres a difference between wanting the nicest gear and being treated like a second class citizen. Thats what I was responding to.
    Rift is all about raiding, everything else is secondary. 

If you don't have the best items, if you arent in the high tier raid guilds you are nothing. 

Its not in my head, it's how progression based raid games have worked since EQ.

OP don't let these guys spin the BS. Rift = Raiding. If you dont want to raid find another game.

Not sure what the agenda is, but thats simply not true. I dont raid. I dont even do dungeons anymore. I have more things to do in rift than most other current themeparks. Game isnt raid or die. That is a fact.

It's not an agenda...

Its a fact that once you add a progression raid system in your game it becomes the focus.

You say you don't raid, fine but im pretty sure you have an underpowered character that many would consider worthless.

Maybe the OP could play like you? Who knows. Maybe he could play in a bubble and ignore the entire community around him. Maybe he would be happy doing half the DPs a raid tank does, maybe he's cool with getting booted out of groups because all you have is garbage dungeon gear on? 

We should ask him.

unless things are very very different on your server z3ro1 you will not get kicked out of anything but a raid, for not having raid gear..  IE raid gear is progression to other raids.  i've never ever been kicked out of a 5 person group for not having raid gear.  once i had a smattering of raid gear and non raid i still never got kicked out of any groups (i never acquired full level 50 raid gear).

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Z3R01 Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Torvaldr Originally posted by Foomerang Originally posted by Z3R01 Sure you can do other things but you would be considered a second class citizen. 
    thats in your head
    Well, to be fair that is the question the OP asked.  It is in the heads of us who like to game for nice items.  The op wanted to know if the nicest items are all behind raid locks and that answer is yes.  From the perspective of "is this gear good enough for me to enjoy myself" then source stone and overland gear is great.  From the perspective of "where can I find the ultimate progression gear" then it's about raids and other gear doesn't measure up.   The wow comparison he made makes no sense to me though.  They seem about the same with their end game gear focus.
      Theres a difference between wanting the nicest gear and being treated like a second class citizen. Thats what I was responding to.
    Rift is all about raiding, everything else is secondary.    If you don't have the best items, if you arent in the high tier raid guilds you are nothing.  Its not in my head, it's how progression based raid games have worked since EQ.   OP don't let these guys spin the BS. Rift = Raiding. If you dont want to raid find another game.
      Not sure what the agenda is, but thats simply not true. I dont raid. I dont even do dungeons anymore. I have more things to do in rift than most other current themeparks. Game isnt raid or die. That is a fact.
    It's not an agenda...

Its a fact that once you add a progression raid system in your game it becomes the focus.

You say you don't raid, fine but im pretty sure you have an underpowered character that many would consider worthless.

Maybe the OP could play like you? Who knows. Maybe he could play in a bubble and ignore the entire community around him. Maybe he would be happy doing half the DPs a raid tank does, maybe he's cool with getting booted out of groups because all you have is garbage dungeon gear on? 

We should ask him.

You are over exaggerating to make a false argument. The majority of best in slot gear can be obtained through dungeons and the auction house. The only exceptions are a couple trinkets and weapons. The trinkets are arguable since the best healing trinket is actually a dungeon drop and the pvp weapons are just as good if not better in some cases than the best raid weapons. There is no 50% dps difference its statistically less than 5% and thats after a year n a half and 4 raiding tiers.

You are wrong to assume people treat you like crap from not having best in slot. Especially since most raid gear is useless in pvp and if you stack 400+ hit rating going into a dungeon you are gimping ypuself

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Richmond, VAPosts: 1,538Member Common
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Hartsman had a chance for a do-over after EQ2 and he blew it with raiding.

This statement is ridiculous on two levels.

First off, few who played EQ2 at the time Hartsman left (right after Kunark) would say he needed a 'do over'.  EoF/RoK era EQ2 is as good as MMORPGs get, and he may never get a game to that level again.

Second, raiding blows nothing.  They reallly dont spend as much dev time on it as people like to say, and its optional, if you dont like it dont do it.  If you are upset because you cant get the gear (which completely trivializes any non raid content anyway), well thats just being silly.  Its not a competition, and you have plenty of ways to improve your gear as it is.

• RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon
         No one is still addressing my issue I had with Rift..   Players with raid gear can have an effect on RIFT rewards in the open world?   The level of rewards giving to a player after a rift event is based from the NUMBERS right?  So when raid and dungeon geared players out heal and out dps a person who likes Rift hunting.. The Rift hunter will NEVER get a fair share or shake of his his efforts.. RIGHT?   To prove my point.. how about you can ONLY wear raid gear in a raid instance.. In the open world, you have to wear open world gear :)   This way raid gear doesn't give raiders an unfair advantage in Rift hunting.. :)

Originally posted by Rydeson
         No one is still addressing my issue I had with Rift..   Players with raid gear can have an effect on RIFT rewards in the open world?   The level of rewards giving to a player after a rift event is based from the NUMBERS right?  So when raid and dungeon geared players out heal and out dps a person who likes Rift hunting.. The Rift hunter will NEVER get a fair share or shake of his his efforts.. RIGHT?   To prove my point.. how about you can ONLY wear raid gear in a raid instance.. In the open world, you have to wear open world gear :)   This way raid gear doesn't give raiders an unfair advantage in Rift hunting.. :)

Not sure where you got that info. That is totally false.

• RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon

Can you show me the patch where the changed it?  Since beta to the time I quit, Rift rewards of stones and planarite were based on PERFORMANCE..  Are you saying that has changed and everyone gets an equal share of the pie, reguardless of numbers?

• ArkainArkain Tampa, FLPosts: 490Member Uncommon

Can you show me the patch where the changed it?  Since beta to the time I quit, Rift rewards of stones and planarite were based on PERFORMANCE..  Are you saying that has changed and everyone gets an equal share of the pie, reguardless of numbers?

You are forgetting that one can get geared up other ways as well, and there are players that never do raid and/or dungons and/of pvp and/or craft etc, you do have a choice of what to do.

In RIFT before the X-pac some here on MMORPG.COM did say you could get to tier 2 raid equivalent armor without raiding, it would just take longer.

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Rydeson      No one is still addressing my issue I had with Rift..   Players with raid gear can have an effect on RIFT rewards in the open world?   The level of rewards giving to a player after a rift event is based from the NUMBERS right?  So when raid and dungeon geared players out heal and out dps a person who likes Rift hunting.. The Rift hunter will NEVER get a fair share or shake of his his efforts.. RIGHT?   To prove my point.. how about you can ONLY wear raid gear in a raid instance.. In the open world, you have to wear open world gear :)   This way raid gear doesn't give raiders an unfair advantage in Rift hunting.. :)

Hm, well I group with my wife and basically carry her character through a rift and when we click our loot icons, its the exact same amount of stones and planarite. Its been that way for at least 3 months since she started playing with me. Besides the fact that you can just look at the log when in a raid doing rift hunts and everyone gets the same currency amount. Only thing that changes is random rewards in chests and essences, artifacts, gear drops, and sometimes stones. But the results have nothing to do with performance since I see people putting out less than me on occasion and getting more in the logs.

124»